CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is a girl to do (seriously)???

+6
PaganWifey
luv2pamper
CostaKink
tiashaunteé
NaturalNixon
MissFierce21
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What is a girl to do (seriously)??? Empty What is a girl to do (seriously)???

Post by MissFierce21 3rd March 2010, 3:32 pm

Hello everyone. Thanks in advance for your replies. Please read. Here is the situation:

At the beginning of my journey of being natural, I used all natural products. I didn't choose to use the latest rave products bc they weren't all natural. Well, after 8 months, I decided to go against the grain--I purchased commercial products. At first I convinced myself that it was fine for me, and that I should have done it earlier. I did it during my 1 month transition, so I should be okay.

Not...I was always wondering if this was the best for me, but I tuned it out. About three weeks later (after purchasing the commercial products), I missed my natural products. The products I purchased were fine, but I knew that I wasn't content because they were not natural products.

Now I have 4-032 oz. bottles of Suave Professional Conditioners (Humectant, Rosemary and Mint, Almond Shea Butter and Sleek); 3 in which I have never used. I also have the Humectant Shampoo, Vitamin Conditioner, Aussie Hair Insurance, 32 oz. Eco styler gel, and a few other things.

I barely used the above mentioned, and I have started back using my natural products again...I never felt better. The question is: Should I go ahead and use the commercial products until I give out? And if so, will it affect my hair later, being that I have used natural products so long?
MissFierce21
MissFierce21

Back to top Go down

What is a girl to do (seriously)??? Empty Re: What is a girl to do (seriously)???

Post by NaturalNixon 3rd March 2010, 4:12 pm

I would say go ahead and use the products(because I am cheap and don't like to waste money). Several naturals on this board use many of the products you listed above and they have beautiful hair.

If you don't want to use the products that are not natural you can put them in the product swap thread. If you have no takers you can always take them to a womens shelter. They are always looking for health and beauty items.
NaturalNixon
NaturalNixon

Back to top Go down

What is a girl to do (seriously)??? Empty Re: What is a girl to do (seriously)???

Post by MissFierce21 3rd March 2010, 4:56 pm

Thanks Natural Nixon. I have thought about that, but I'm a little scared of the ingedients (it's not all natural) and my hair loves natural products. I'm scared!!! LOL!
MissFierce21
MissFierce21

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 3rd March 2010, 5:08 pm

My hair loves natural products but I typically use them as the "finishing" products. For example, in your situation I would use the Suave conditioners to detangle in the shower because they get completely rinsed out anyway. Then I would apply my good stuff last because it will remain on the hair.

BTW, I actually do use Suave Condish to detangle
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CostaKink 3rd March 2010, 5:26 pm

If your worried about wasting your products you should go to the Product Swap and trade with your fellow curlies to get more natural products. That way it will be a win win situation.
CostaKink
CostaKink

http://www.loudmouth269@aol.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MissFierce21 3rd March 2010, 6:00 pm

Thanks @tiashauntee (another one of my hair inspirations) I never really thought about that. Makes much sense, now my natural product won't go to waste. And...just maybe, I can use these conditioners to detangle even after they are used up to save my good stuff like you said.

@CostaKink thanks, I tried that first, but didn't get a response. LOL! And do you have a fotki.

Thank God for these wonderful ladies, my hair definitely appreciates it. If only she could talk. LOL!
MissFierce21
MissFierce21

Back to top Go down

Post by CostaKink 3rd March 2010, 6:59 pm

I do its fotki.com/nyawonderin ... I don't have many photos on there. I need to be more motivated and add lots of pics Smile (maybe during spring break)
CostaKink
CostaKink

http://www.loudmouth269@aol.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MissFierce21 3rd March 2010, 7:29 pm

@CostaKink, I do not have any photos either. LOL
MissFierce21
MissFierce21

Back to top Go down

Post by luv2pamper 4th March 2010, 6:17 pm

I've used natural products just about the entire time I've been natural (about 21 months). Only in the past month, have I used a commercial conditioner (Suave) out of desperation and lack of time and I can feel the difference in my hair. My hair is drier than it had been, and it doesn't detanlge as easily. I'm going to finish up this bottle because I'm cheap like NaturalNixon LOL. But after than, back to the land of natural land I go.

I think your hair gets used to a certain quality of products and lets you know if you've put something in it that's inferior.
luv2pamper
luv2pamper

http://mainelementlove.com/blog

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 4th March 2010, 6:20 pm

luv2pamper wrote:I've used natural products just about the entire time I've been natural (about 21 months). Only in the past month, have I used a commercial conditioner (Suave) out of desperation and lack of time and I can feel the difference in my hair. My hair is drier than it had been, and it doesn't detanlge as easily. I'm going to finish up this bottle because I'm cheap like NaturalNixon LOL. But after than, back to the land of natural land I go.

I think your hair gets used to a certain quality of products and lets you know if you've put something in it that's inferior.

What products do you typically use?
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by MissFierce21 4th March 2010, 7:49 pm

luv2pamper wrote:I've used natural products just about the entire time I've been natural (about 21 months). Only in the past month, have I used a commercial conditioner (Suave) out of desperation and lack of time and I can feel the difference in my hair. My hair is drier than it had been, and it doesn't detanlge as easily. I'm going to finish up this bottle because I'm cheap like NaturalNixon LOL. But after than, back to the land of natural land I go.

I wish I can say the same. I have more than one bottle. LOL! As much as I don't want to waste my money, I doubt I will use them all. I may just do like tiashauntee said, and use them for detangling. IDK. Natural Products, why did I forsake thee??? LOL!
MissFierce21
MissFierce21

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 8th March 2010, 1:03 am

When in doubt, swap it out!

(That doesn't quite rhyme but...yeah)
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by luv2pamper 8th March 2010, 5:03 pm

@tiashauntee - I use Treasured Tresses Aloe conditioner from my own product line, and a handmade blend of shea butter as a moisturizer.

@MissFierce21 - You could use the commercial conditioners in your spritz bottle (if you use one)as a way to use it up. Mixed in with water and whatever else you put in your bottle could make it more useful for your hair. As for the other stuff, I'm with PaganWifey: swap it! LOL
luv2pamper
luv2pamper

http://mainelementlove.com/blog

Back to top Go down

Post by cassadie3 9th March 2010, 4:33 am

its definitely interesting how all our hair is different. I've switched from Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut Condish for my co-washes and detangling to Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, a more natural option, but I've recently considered switching back because that Suave business just has so much slip and I havent found a natural conditioner that can do the same magic. that said, I really want to use as many natural and organic products as possible, so I'm having cold feet about switching back to the Suave condish....

@MissFierce--- do the Suave conditioners you have have 'cones in them??
cassadie3
cassadie3

http://naturalselectionblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MissFierce21 9th March 2010, 11:51 am

@cassadie3 I don't think that the suave coconut does, but I contacted the company yesterday, and they told me that the glycerin in it is not vegetable glycerin, it's actually beef tallow (animal by-product), and that's another reason why it's on the ish list for me. The information is also available on the site under "frequently asked questions."
MissFierce21
MissFierce21

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 9th March 2010, 11:52 am

MissFierce21 wrote:@cassadie3 I don't think that the suave coconut does, but I contacted the company yesterday, and they told me that the glycerin in it is not vegetable glycerin, it's actually beef tallow (animal by-product), and that's another reason why it's on the ish list for me. The information is also available on the site under "frequently asked questions."

Interesting...good info.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by MissFierce21 9th March 2010, 11:57 am

Thanks ladies for all the support that you have given. I am now free of most of my commercial products, and all that is left would more than likely would go to my family. I told them about my reasons for using natural products (the whole 8+ months of being natural). They did listen, but at the end of the day, they don't care because that's what they love, especially if it's free. LOL! You can't convert everyone, which is fine, because I don't expect others to live just like me, and I don't want them to tell me to relax like them.
MissFierce21
MissFierce21

Back to top Go down

Post by MissFierce21 9th March 2010, 12:02 pm

Aside from using natural products because of the ingredients, the commercial products ALWAYS made my scalp itch really, really bad. I can remember when I use to get off from work and get all on the floor, scratching my scalp, and pulling my hair. Yes I would wash it twice a week---didn't help.

When I started using all natural products, I did not have that problem. Many people indicate that itching means it needs to be washed, but I now don't have to wash my hair as much because all my products are natural AND....my growth is amazing.
MissFierce21
MissFierce21

Back to top Go down

Post by Ameenah 9th March 2010, 12:47 pm

I am really interested in what natural products you use? i use mostly natural products. And I am always looking at my options
Ameenah
Ameenah

Back to top Go down

Post by MissFierce21 9th March 2010, 1:22 pm

@Ameenah, I use:
* Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose & Aubrey Organics White Camilla for my conditioners. Sometimes I add a little water because it does not contain water, and my hair loves water. I also use AO conditioner in it's pure form for my moisturizer.
* Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap for cleansing my scalp.
* Carol's Daughter Lisa's Hair Elixir (only when it's $5 at TJ Maxx LOL!)
* Extra Virgin Olive Oil
* Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
* Unrefined Shea Butter
* Honey
* Aloe Vera Gel
* Water
* Every now and then I use Giovanni Direct Leave-In (But I usually make my own with some AO conditioner). I have a few essential oils and a spray bottle.
* I don't buy cheap commercial conditioners for detangling. I usually detangle with the AO conditioner in my hair, when soaking wet. When I rinse, I leave some in.

It really doesn't take much to maintain my hair, and since I use all natural conditioners, I don't have to wash as often as many others.
MissFierce21
MissFierce21

Back to top Go down

Post by cassadie3 9th March 2010, 2:39 pm

tiashauntee wrote:
MissFierce21 wrote:@cassadie3 I don't think that the suave coconut does, but I contacted the company yesterday, and they told me that the glycerin in it is not vegetable glycerin, it's actually beef tallow (animal by-product), and that's another reason why it's on the ish list for me. The information is also available on the site under "frequently asked questions."

Interesting...good info.

agreed. at first I when I read this I was grossed out "eeeeuuuuuuwwwwww! BEEF!?!?!? In my hair?!?!? I don't think so"

But then when I thought about it, I put beef in my body all the time. and I like it. and its good for me to have in moderation. but overall I eat an all natural, organic diet.

@miss fierce--- I've just been thinking a lot about how ppl's diets influence their hair.... just wondering out of pure curiosity if youre a vegan/vegetarian? are you as strict with the ingredients of your food intake as with your products?
cassadie3
cassadie3

Back to top Go down

Post by MissFierce21 9th March 2010, 3:25 pm

@cassadie3: LOL! Yeah I am as strict with the ingredients I put in my body. After writing that statement, I knew that I should have went more into detail. When I decided to go natural, I wanted more than ever to treat my body better. I wasn't fully prepared so I started off as a pescatarian (avoid all meat except for fish/seafood). That worked well. Within three weeks, my stomach started to get flatter. I didn't do it to lose weight, I did it because this was something I always wanted to do. But when my sisters came over, whom I see almost everyday, one of them said, "Kim, I wanted to ask you what are you doing different because 'girl' you have lost some weight, but it looks really good." No one except for my mother and younger siblings, knew that I was transitioning to become a vegetarian. My stomach had been my problem area, and to see it vanish before my eyes was a plus.

I felt way better after the transition, and it was definitely better for my menstrual cycle. To make a long story short, I feel off the bandwagon, due to a vegetarian brand I didn't like, and 2 months later, I felt the bloating again, I gain some of my stomach back (not all), and I felt the need to go back to that lifestyle.

Being a vegetarian is not a bad thing. You are still allowed to eat eggs, cheese, and other dairy products (bc it's not like the animals were killed in order to produce that product); Vegans on the other had cannot consume those things.
MissFierce21
MissFierce21

Back to top Go down

Post by naomimaxine927 9th March 2010, 9:08 pm

If you do not mind "wasting money", then don't use them anymore.

I use commercial products, as natural products are too expensive and not as accessible, in my opinion. I have not experienced my hair drying out or anything like that from the products I use.

But I do love natural oils, and create some of my own home remedies.
naomimaxine927
naomimaxine927

http://beautifulkinks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cassadie3 9th March 2010, 9:27 pm

MissFierce21 wrote:@cassadie3: LOL! Yeah I am as strict with the ingredients I put in my body. After writing that statement, I knew that I should have went more into detail. When I decided to go natural, I wanted more than ever to treat my body better. I wasn't fully prepared so I started off as a pescatarian (avoid all meat except for fish/seafood). That worked well. Within three weeks, my stomach started to get flatter. I didn't do it to lose weight, I did it because this was something I always wanted to do. But when my sisters came over, whom I see almost everyday, one of them said, "Kim, I wanted to ask you what are you doing different because 'girl' you have lost some weight, but it looks really good." No one except for my mother and younger siblings, knew that I was transitioning to become a vegetarian. My stomach had been my problem area, and to see it vanish before my eyes was a plus.

I felt way better after the transition, and it was definitely better for my menstrual cycle. To make a long story short, I feel off the bandwagon, due to a vegetarian brand I didn't like, and 2 months later, I felt the bloating again, I gain some of my stomach back (not all), and I felt the need to go back to that lifestyle.

Being a vegetarian is not a bad thing. You are still allowed to eat eggs, cheese, and other dairy products (bc it's not like the animals were killed in order to produce that product); Vegans on the other had cannot consume those things.

Well I think its great that youre a holistically conscious consumer! I know a lot of people will be as picky as can be about their hair and then go gobble down a bunch of fast food and wonder why they're still experiencing breakage and dryness and non-growth. Beauty starts from the inside, meaning what you put in is what is going to be reflected on the outside. I totally agree that my going natural was kick-started by me wanting to live a healthier lifestyle over all. I absolutely have made a lot of adjustments to my eating and exercising habits in the process. But, uh, an occaissional rare (but organically fed, no hormone added!) steak is a keeper in my diet Smile
cassadie3
cassadie3

Back to top Go down

Post by MissFierce21 9th March 2010, 9:44 pm

@cassadie3 I totally agree with you. Many people do go that route and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I honestly think that would have been one of my options, but I never really liked eating meat. Every since I was a little girl, I never cared for it, but occasionally I would eat it.
MissFierce21
MissFierce21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next