CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new girl on the block

4 posters

Go down

new girl on the block Empty new girl on the block

Post by canzetta39 31st May 2010, 2:14 pm

Hey ladies, I am just getting started......last relaxer 3 weeks ago. Please tell me what did you do to your hair before the Big Chop.

canzetta39

Back to top Go down

new girl on the block Empty Re: new girl on the block

Post by Brainiac 31st May 2010, 2:32 pm

I don't understand why women that decide to go natural have to have big chop.

I went natural with still relax hair. I just allow my natural hair to grow out until I had no longer relax ends.

I say just let your hair grow at least 6 in, before go chopping off your relax ends.

Brainiac

Back to top Go down

Post by canzetta39 31st May 2010, 2:37 pm

How did you manage your hair while it was growing out. My hair will look a mess and I am not that versatile when it comes to styling. Thanks for all of your help too.

canzetta39

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 31st May 2010, 2:45 pm

My advice to your before you Big Chop (whenever you decide to do it), is to research, research, and more research on natural hair care. I know there is a wealth of information on this site and it can get overwhelming but here are some basics...

Shampoo - preferably sulfate free
Conditioner - natural or organic conditioner work best (IMO)
Leave In Conditioner
Deep conditioner/treatment - this should be done weekly
Styler - gels, butters

My routine:

Shampoo every other week or as needed
Cowash every other week or as needed
Deep condition/treatment - weekly...rotating between moisturizing treatments and protein treatments

Everyone's hair is unique and the name of the game is Trial and Error. What works for one person may not work for another.

Practice now on different hair styles you would like to wear once you become 100% natural.

Watch YouTube videos for tutorials on different hair styles.

Lastly, BE PATIENT!!!

Good luck on your journey!!

SN: I big chopped after 4 months of transitioning and I love it!!! I have been able to experience my hair in every stage (short, in between stage, and now starting to get to the long stage)

Like Brainiac said, you dont have to big chop....but I say if you are not scared of short hair....go for it.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by curlytee 31st May 2010, 8:30 pm

The natural hair sites have Transitioning Sections. Check them out. Even here at CurlyNikki. Other then that I believe Lynnieluve said it all.

I would like to offer you one piece of advice. Concentrate on the process and not the products. Buying every product someone mentions will leave you broke (unless you have money to waste) and with a cabinet full of products. Keep it simple.
curlytee
curlytee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down