CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how can i help my mom feel better about her hair

4 posters

Go down

how can i help my mom feel better about her hair Empty how can i help my mom feel better about her hair

Post by jazz 28th February 2010, 11:37 pm

sooo i told my mom about this site (sorry if you read this mom and get mad)
anywho for as long as i can remember my mom has hated her hair or at least it seems that way to me..she has been getting braids and weaves for a while but only rarely do i her her say that she loved the end results and its like as soon as my mom finds someone who can do her hair well then it only last for a little and then the person goes MIA and then my mom is left at ground zero all over again.. my mom says that i dont understand cause i have that " wash and go hair " that " good hair " and that she could never do her hair this way or that ... but i have told my mom that there are tons of women on here that have shorter hair and with different textures and that all textures are beautiful and i know that she knows that she could see a woman with the same texture as hers and still think that she could never get her hair to do that ....i tell her that she could maybe find someone who has her same texture and that could mentor her ... but i feel like she just blows me off because my mom has felt so bad about her natural hair due to damage from relaxers.. growing up my mother never let me get a relaxer she never even let me dye my hair and she told me how much all of that would ruin my hair like it had messed up her hair and that after a perm her hair has never been the same .. she just recently got a perm so that she could get a weave but feels that she wouldnt be able to do any of the transitioning styles due to the shortness of her hair or the different lengths in her hair due to breakage... i love my mom and i think her hair is beautiful and i remember what the texture was before she had a perm... what do you ladies think i could say to my mother to let her know that she can be brave and try to go natural and become apart of this site and not just stalk it lol any advice that you ladies have would be great. i just feel so bad when i hear her say that she just doesnt know what to do with it or that she could " just cry " my mom looks great for her age and i think that she deserves to not have such a hassle when it comes to her hair we butt heads and get on each others nerves but my mom has always taken care of me and importantly she has always taken care of my hair maybe i can help return the favor .[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
jazz
jazz

Back to top Go down

how can i help my mom feel better about her hair Empty Re: how can i help my mom feel better about her hair

Post by tiashaunteé 1st March 2010, 1:05 pm

First she will have to change her way of thinking and unfortunately you can't do that for her but maybe you can help. Good hair is healthy hair. Period. Take her out - you know curly hair attracts compliments like flies to a picnic. But take her to an event where there will be a variety of curlies - like a meet up. The best way to help someone is to show them.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

how can i help my mom feel better about her hair Empty Re: how can i help my mom feel better about her hair

Post by ktoliver5303 1st March 2010, 1:22 pm

I agree with Tiashauntee. I believe that if she sees other curlies in a meet up setting, she will be able to see how proud we are of all of our hair, Regardless of the texture. Your mom does look great for her age. My mom cut all of her hair off and started locks. Let your mom know that she is different, and different is GREAT!! I am sure she will see those beautiful curlies and take that step to becoming natural.
ktoliver5303
ktoliver5303

Back to top Go down

Post by curlsunfurled 1st March 2010, 10:46 pm

I also agree with Tiashauntee. Your mom will have to want to change in order to be receptive to any advise. Have you thought about asking her to attend a curly meet-up with you? There may be some more mature curlies there and she could see for herself that naturals come in all hair textures and ages.

I totally understand the frustration with the "you have good hair" comments. I often hear from my mom - who is also natural. My curl pattern is nothing like yours but, my hair is very soft. When I try to suggest a style to her I hear.... your hair is soft (or you've good hair) YOU can do that. Burns me up!!! Keep trying eventually she'll listen.
curlsunfurled
curlsunfurled

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down