CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you feel when people try to touch your hair?

+43
JazmineB
BajanPrincess82
j. kinky
PanaR3dd
dcgcakes
BeautifullyMehh
mizcreativelyme
luvinlife225
chscott_77
Emartini04
poeticlyspkng
Annapolitan
molove87
sweetnsassi
Fleur
Madeaj
dakotab
ablockle
ritajoy
naturalmommyGA
sweetdrk1
Peachtree
~JOME~
C.
CurlsGalore
tiashaunteé
EllaMomi2002
CrissyQ
deeply_rooted_chick
Natural_GlamDoll
Nikcoils
.nikki.b.
Butterfly126
Erica5417
LaToya28
BrownSkinDiva
LadyMika
jlowman1
Juices-n-Berries
BeautifullyFree
RinnyU
Neems
47 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

How do you feel when people try to touch your hair? Empty How do you feel when people try to touch your hair?

Post by Neems 29th March 2010, 2:07 am

I usually don't like strangers touching my hair. It's just weird. I wouldn't walk up to someone and touch them, so why do they think it's alright to touch me. Granted it's different when friends and family do it. I saw this on Essence.com. What do you ladies think?http://www.essence.com/hair/no_you_cant_touch_my_hair.php
Neems
Neems

http://neemsnthings.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

How do you feel when people try to touch your hair? Empty Re: How do you feel when people try to touch your hair?

Post by RinnyU 29th March 2010, 2:09 am

Well I haven't worn my hair out yet and the only person who's constantly touched my hair is my aunt.

IT'S SO ANNOYING!
It's flattering, but annoying because she's so border-line pervy about it, lol.

Aunt: "Lemme see the curls! Oooooo the curls, the curls! LOOK AT THE CURLS! [INSERT SQUEALING LIKE A FAN-GIRL HERE]"

Razz
It's VERY uncomfortable.

I don't think I'd mind strangers touching my hair as long as they ask. Don't just come up and pet me like I'm a daggone dog or something.
RinnyU
RinnyU

Back to top Go down

How do you feel when people try to touch your hair? Empty Re: How do you feel when people try to touch your hair?

Post by BeautifullyFree 29th March 2010, 2:19 am

I really get an attitude lol..and tell them "please dont touch me..i dont like ANYONE touching my hair i was raised that way" ...i think its so rude for people to just put their hands on you period without your permission...like i dont know where your hands have been ..give me 5 feet for real..its not that serious..touch the hair on your own darn head!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] sorry i get carried away lol
BeautifullyFree
BeautifullyFree

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 29th March 2010, 2:32 am

I don't mind at all. As long as I think it's feeling soft that day. Lol. Somebody tried to touch my hair while it was still slightly wet with KCCC. That was no bueno. Oh and of course if they ask first.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 29th March 2010, 3:06 am

I immediately swat hands. I dont play with people touching me. Now if we are having a conversation and you ask me, I'll me more than willing to let you do so but just reaching is a big no no for me!
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 29th March 2010, 8:28 am

@jlowman1: I agree. Ask first (and nicely) and MAYBE I'll let them touch my hair. But if they start reaching, well, I can't guarantee their safety after that. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 29th March 2010, 9:16 am

I dont like it primarily because folks just grab and start rubbing and slightly pulling, like its really intriguing. If folks ask, and I feel like allowing them to, then thats fine...but primarily i get folks who look at my hair and start grabbing, that annoys me!
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 29th March 2010, 10:25 am

I used to get that all the time because I worked mostly with whites. I really don't think they meant any harm by asking if they could touch it and I would let them touch it sometimes. Other times I would say something like no this ain't a petting zoo!

Now (and in the future) if someone wants to touch my natural hair I will let them instead of getting offended. I'm not as guarded as I used to be and don't mind letting people in. Our natural hair is beautiful and intriguing so I can totally understand them wanting to touch it. I also didn't mind too much when people touched my pregnant belly.

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica5417 29th March 2010, 11:00 am

I don't play folks touching my head, strangers or family. I'm always reminded of someone petting a dog or something. Instant attitude as soon as I see a hand raising.
Erica5417
Erica5417

http://ericathurman.ennoir.com

Back to top Go down

Post by * 29th March 2010, 11:09 am

I don't mind, to me, it's just hair. Now if they wanted to touch other body parts, then we would have a problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 29th March 2010, 11:19 am

@LaToya28 I went to a predominently white college so I understand what you're saying, but I had those days when I just didn't want to be touched,lol.
Neems
Neems

http://neemsnthings.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly126 29th March 2010, 12:07 pm

I HATE when people like to touch your hair AFTER you just got it done!!! A few days ago I did my first TnC and everyone kept running their fingers through my curls! I had to do it over the next day because the curls weren't as tight anymore!!!! When people reach for my hair, I just shake my head and yell "NOOOOO!!!!!" [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] LOL
Butterfly126
Butterfly126

Back to top Go down

Post by .nikki.b. 29th March 2010, 12:17 pm

If the person asks first and they look clean, maybe. I would be a little freaked out and offended if a random oerson just reached out and started feeling my hair, because that's rude. If its close family or my bf I dont mind, but just a little. Sometimes ppl get carried away and get a little rough. i.e. my mom lol.
.nikki.b.
.nikki.b.

https://www.facebook.com/people/Shanikque-Brand/575929029

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikcoils 29th March 2010, 12:55 pm

@Brownskindiva I sooo feel you. If someone asks and my hair is dry go ahead. But last week I was having a conversation with someone and the all of a sudden I felt some hands in my hair first feeling it then tugging on it. I snapped I yelled could you quit pulling on my hair! He response was it looks better when it's pulled down. Then I looked at her like I dare you to put you hands in there again. And told her leave it alone! It wasn't a stranger but a lady from church. But I still thought it was rude to start tugging on someone hair while they talking to someone.
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Post by Natural_GlamDoll 29th March 2010, 1:08 pm

Being that my hair is in a weave, I REALLY don't want anyone touching my hair. In between my sew-in I wore my hair out just to let it breathe and honestly I hate people touching my natural tresses too. I guess it's a mind thing but it gets so annoying when people want to touch and ask questions.
Natural_GlamDoll
Natural_GlamDoll

Back to top Go down

Post by deeply_rooted_chick 29th March 2010, 1:11 pm

The only one who has gone into my hair really is my mom and of course her being my mom she doesn't ask she just pets. After my BC she would do it without even looking at me I found it hilarous.
deeply_rooted_chick
deeply_rooted_chick

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 29th March 2010, 2:06 pm

Ask first! I dont mind because some people have the notion that is hard. So when they touch it they say wow its softer than I thought. And I say yep, without a perm. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by EllaMomi2002 29th March 2010, 3:44 pm

I haven't had that happen yet, but I don't think I'd like it. Especially if it's someone I dont know that well.

I haven't been around family since my BC yet, that will be the true test.
EllaMomi2002
EllaMomi2002

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 29th March 2010, 3:55 pm

I feel violated and a violent. I few people have been hit unintentionally...they don't reach anymore.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 29th March 2010, 4:30 pm

Only family and friends (that I know very well) are allowed to touch my hair. I don't like to be touched anyway, so touching my hair is a major no no and cause for a misunderstanding.
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 29th March 2010, 4:47 pm

interesting article.. i dont mind when ppl touch my hair (i quite enjoy the impromptu scalp massages [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ) but only if i know them or am in the mood. the comments after the article implied that there was some issue about race when white people touch black women's hair and i dont agree, i thinks its just a curiosity that they(white ppl) have

if you dont like random ppl touching your hair, thats fine but i do think you should be nice about telling them not to do that, just going off on them and yelling is a bit extreme and makes you look crazy

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by ~JOME~ 29th March 2010, 6:36 pm

When I was relaxed, people used to touch my hair all the time to see how silky it was or if it was a weave, which although I was a little annoyed...it came with the territory. Now that I have been transitioning, not that many people touch my hair yet....
~JOME~
~JOME~

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachtree 30th March 2010, 12:36 am

I wasn't feeling it as a new natural, but over the years I grew used to it (from family and friends). Problem is, they always pull my curls to check it's length, get amazed when the curl springs back into place...but I'm left w/frizzy sections of hair. I absolutely do not allow anyone to touch my daughter's hair...that's where I draw the line!!!
Peachtree
Peachtree

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 30th March 2010, 10:23 am

Peachtree wrote:I wasn't feeling it as a new natural, but over the years I grew used to it (from family and friends). Problem is, they always pull my curls to check it's length, get amazed when the curl springs back into place...but I'm left w/frizzy sections of hair. I absolutely do not allow anyone to touch my daughter's hair...that's where I draw the line!!!

I think that is where I get it from - my mother. I was always told me not to let anyone play in my hair and when someone would touch it she somehow knew and I would get in trouble.
Then when I was in college I let someone who I thought was a friend braid my hair - no weave, just my hair and it wasn't tight. I didn't find out until later that she really didn't like me and was just being fake. My hair started falling out, so after that I don't let anyone touch my hair.
I use to hear those ol wives tales that if someone has an issue with you and you let them touch your hair - your hair would fall out, I believe now.

Plus, I just don't like people touching me or standing too close. I can't even stand in the front of a crowd or be in a small space with a lot of people. I start to sweat and shake.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 30th March 2010, 12:44 pm

no no, I don't know where your hands have been and I don't want that mess on my hair! NOPE don't reach for me hair, if you do you are on your own!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next