CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are cornrows appropriate for an Interview?

+17
splitsun
naturallytexan
Lynnieluve
naturalhonney
Free2Be
PaganWifey
BajanPrincess82
tiashaunteé
CreoleLady88
natural83
Erica5417
ktoliver5303
BlondeByDesire
new-naturalle
poeticlyspkng
nbella
Janique
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Are cornrows appropriate for an Interview? Empty Are cornrows appropriate for an Interview?

Post by Janique 23rd February 2010, 3:32 pm

Recently I lost my job and I've been looking around for a new one. For my most recent interview, I had my friend cornrow my hair and put it into a bun. It's a very neat style. My mom told me cornrows are inappropriate for an interview and she was told some years ago by someone that the number one mistake African Americans make when going on interviews is wearing cornrows in their hair. I think this is ludicrous, but I want to see what other people think about this.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Are cornrows appropriate for an Interview? Empty Re: Are cornrows appropriate for an Interview?

Post by nbella 23rd February 2010, 3:56 pm

It really depends on how the cornrows are done. I personally wouldn't wear cornrows to an interview. I don't view them as professional. If you are going to an interview wear your hair in an puff.
nbella
nbella

Back to top Go down

Are cornrows appropriate for an Interview? Empty Re: Are cornrows appropriate for an Interview?

Post by poeticlyspkng 23rd February 2010, 3:58 pm

I'm going to agree. Cornrows to an interview is risky. You have to hope and pray that they view them the same as you for if they don't- you'll be judged and dismissed before it even starts.
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 23rd February 2010, 4:06 pm

Here's a pic of how they look

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by nbella 23rd February 2010, 4:09 pm

I am sorry but I wouldn't wear my hair like that to an interview. People still judge us even though we believe they shouldn't. It just isn't very professional and I am an professional. Even in an job setting I make sure that my hair always looks professional because of how I could be judged.
nbella
nbella

Back to top Go down

Post by new-naturalle 23rd February 2010, 4:09 pm

This is interesting, I wonder if theres a double standard for women because my husband wears his hair in cornrows and has never had a problem getting a job like that. But if he goes into work with a puff in the back of his ponytail, they are like so when are you getting your hair done? They consider that unprofessional.
new-naturalle
new-naturalle

Back to top Go down

Post by new-naturalle 23rd February 2010, 4:09 pm

This is interesting, I wonder if theres a double standard for women because my husband wears his hair in cornrows and has never had a problem getting a job like that. But if he goes into work with a puff in the back of his ponytail, they are like so when are you getting your hair done? They consider that unprofessional.
new-naturalle
new-naturalle

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 23rd February 2010, 4:24 pm

Personally I would not. Also depends on the type of job you are applying for too? I don't think they are professional enough for an interview. Just my two cents.
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by ktoliver5303 23rd February 2010, 4:30 pm

Cornrows is not appropriate for an interview, especially in this job market. I do think that if you un-braid it then it will be a cute braid out style. It is sometimes different for men, but that still is a toss up because there are a lot of times that I have people lose out on good jobs in the corporate world.
ktoliver5303
ktoliver5303

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica5417 23rd February 2010, 5:06 pm

If the cornrows were simply straight back and put into a bun, I might be tempted to say it still looks professional but any type of designs should be avoided. Personally, I would forego cornrows altogether. I'm interviewing as well and I just wear it in a 'fro/twistout. But the type of job you are looking for will determine a lot. I'm in politics/women studies and it seems my 'fro is welcomed by most in my field.
Erica5417
Erica5417

http://ericathurman.ennoir.com

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 23rd February 2010, 5:22 pm

@Janique Me personally, I wouldn't wear the cornrows! You want to be as clean cut as possible....not saying that the cornrows aren't, but in a professional environment, especially on an interview that is very risky! And if you're not sure how their work environment is, then assume the highest and go for a style that you know will be a winner! Maybe after you get the job, you can wear your cornrows...but I definitely wouldn't chance that in your interview! I understand exactly where you are coming from on this subject. I have an interview on Monday with a panel of 5 people (please pray for me yall that I get this job...super excited about it!) and I plan on either having a really nice, clean low bun, or either a twist out with half of it pinned up in the top. I've worn both of these styles on interviews before, as well as in the workplace and it was never a problem.

Good luck on your interview!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by CreoleLady88 23rd February 2010, 5:59 pm

I think it all depends on the type of job your intervieewing for. If ur trying to work at Forever 21 or Taco Bell, then i'm sure they won't care. But if your looking for a job in a more professional environment like a bank or office, than cornrows are a no-go for the interview. I personally wouldn't wear conrnrows to the interview. Its sad to say but most people judge u by what u look like, first impressions are everything; so i would just try to look as clean cut as possible. Buns are the most safe option to me.
CreoleLady88
CreoleLady88

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 23rd February 2010, 6:43 pm

I have had interviews right after cornrowing my hair....I took them out. The last thing you want the interviewer focusing on is your hair. Just like the outfit and jewelry you wear - your hair shouldn't be too distracting. I personally think the design is too much for an interview. Do you do wigs? Maybe you can wear a simple one just so that you don't have to take them out.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 23rd February 2010, 11:22 pm

Thanks for everyone's input...I guess my mom was right. I'm not applying at any fast food places so I see my cornrows might be an issue. I'm about to get a BS in psychology so I'm looking for a job that has something to do with this...I applied at a group home. I don't know how professional this setting would be considered but I guess I have to be more cautious about how I present myself.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 23rd February 2010, 11:35 pm

Maybe straight back or with a slight curve, but I think the zig-zag design is a bit much. I'm interviewing right now also and I usually wear a bun.
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 24th February 2010, 12:02 am

Straight back, small and close together are interview appropriate. The ones you have not so much. Sad
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2Be 24th February 2010, 12:17 am

It makes me angry to think this natural hairstyle is not appropriate for the "corporate" world, but I know it's true that people in that arena are very judgmental about looks, i.e. hairstyles, attire, etc. It's a shame. I wonder if it will ever be acceptable.
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 24th February 2010, 12:25 am

Exactly my sentiments....I thought my mom was wrong but apparently from all the feedback I have been getting, she isn't.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalhonney 24th February 2010, 1:13 am

I have to agree with your mom! Good luck on your interview!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
naturalhonney
naturalhonney

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 24th February 2010, 1:16 am

I agree with your mom and the other curlies too.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallytexan 24th February 2010, 2:08 am

Professional image has been on my mind quite a bit lately as I am testing the job market waters. I love being naturally and everything that goes along with it but the minute I walk into the my current workplace I feel out of place. I still rock the fro with confidence but I get tired of the "looks", makes me want to say to them "Don't worry about me; did you look at yourself before you left home this morning? " Looking like they in an 70's and 80's time warp...something straight out of a vintage MTV video. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Ok I feel better now that I got that off my chest! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
naturallytexan
naturallytexan

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 24th February 2010, 4:26 am

Lol NT.

I have a job interview today and I dyed my hair last night because I just did NOT feel together.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by ktoliver5303 24th February 2010, 4:43 am

I agree with your mother and the rest of the curlys...I know that it is not about what you look like but what can you bring to the table for the job. BUT, we have to still be smart about somethings and know that the world does see things differently. I JUST finish talking to a co-worker of mine and she said that she has had job interviews where she gets the job with a fro. But Janique your hair looks very long in those pictures and i think with your glasses and your hair in a cute bun. Will be like sexy librarian.. lol j/k it will be professional and neat.
ktoliver5303
ktoliver5303

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 24th February 2010, 11:23 am

LOL thanks ktoliver...I'll have to go for that sexy librarian look next time [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by splitsun 24th February 2010, 2:04 pm

Is there an interview thread? Cause I need some emotional support lol.

I see you've gotten tons of advice Janique, so all I'll say is good luck and keep it professional.

I also have an interview, which I am a bit nervous about and all I can think about is my hair since it is still in twa stage.
splitsun
splitsun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next