CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice Please?

3 posters

Go down

Advice Please? Empty Advice Please?

Post by naijabelle 18th February 2010, 3:34 pm

Hey ladies,

I recently (this past weekend) got a big afro weave (trying something new [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ) but I had the lady who did it leave out the front part of my hair b/c I have pretty thin & my edges back to health. For the most part, the fro covers up the front hair (which I leave in twists for the most part), but I can also wear my hair out in a twist out or braid out so it blends in with the other hair. (I'll post some pics later this afternoon). So this type of weave isn't a sew-in. I can sleep on it & wash it b/c she used a different technique that allows me to feel my scalp directly amidst all the hair. For maintenance, I tie a satin scarf around the front part of my hair, finger-pick the fro out in the morning & go to work. I'm all about low-to-no maintenance right now.

My questions are:
1. Does any one have any suggestions for cleaning the scalp & keeping it healthy and moisturized between washes?
2. Am I supposed to be co-washing?
2. I plan to wash once a month. Should I be washing more often?
3. I'm 2-strand twisting the front hair that she left out. How can I keep that healthy & clean as well? I feel like I may have to wash/clean the front more often than my whole head b/c I break out very easily.

So far, this is what I've done for the front part:
* 2-strand twist it with Qhemet's AOHC & seal with coconut oil
* each night & each morning, i spritz my hair with my spray bottle mix of Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose condish, water & coconut oil.

For the rest of the hair, I've done nothing at all. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
naijabelle
naijabelle

Back to top Go down

Advice Please? Empty Re: Advice Please?

Post by nikkinixnicole 18th February 2010, 8:11 pm

Here are my answers to your questions....

1) When wearing weaves, I spray my hair scalp whenever its need (not too often) with a homemade spritz (contains EVOO, castor oil, leave-in, a little water to lighten up the consistency). You could also try scalp cleansers that don't require hair washing. I'd advise against using these things often, buildup won't help the situation. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2) I've heard of people co-washing with weaves. I personally hate washing my hair with weaves but at the same time, I never wear weaves for long periods of time (3-4 weeks max). I find that whenever I have tried washing my hair with weaves in the past, there's more buildup on my scalp in the end and a bunch of other issues (I won't bore you lol)..

3) Once a month, I feel, would deprive the hair of its needed cleansing, conditioning, and tlc [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

4) Try this out [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . I do suggest leaving the weave in for a shorter period of time, so your hair can get the cleansing, conditioning, and tlc it deserves [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Another thing I should mention, avoid coconut oil when wearing weaves or any hairstyles that will be worn for an extended amount of time. Coconut oil smells odd after a few days (I'm not sure if other curlies have experienced this, but my experience was not pleasant lol)
Hope this helps [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
nikkinixnicole
nikkinixnicole

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 19th February 2010, 1:48 pm

During my transition I wore weaves. My last install was with a curlier texture (www.halleyscurls.com) and I absolutely loved it. What type of application technique did she use? Bonding? Fusion? I've always worn a sew-in because the latter is more expensive yet gives the most realistic look.

I cowashed my hair 1x/2x a week and used diluted shampoo for dry scalps when it itched too much. I used a spray bottle for this application and and always braided my hair in plaits for washing. I moisturized with braid sprays, curl activators and my own mix of glycerin, water, EOs like peppermint and tea tree. I sealed with my own mix of EVOO and EOs including sweet orange oil to mask the peppermint. At night, I twisted my hair in plaits and covered with my satin scarf. This routine along with tightening when needed lasted me from Labor Day weekend until nearly Thanksgiving last year.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by naijabelle 19th February 2010, 3:40 pm

Thanks nikkinixnicole & Hamptonsfnst for all your advice!

@Hamptonsfnst: she didnt do bonding/fusion. I'll send u a PM w/ detailed pics lol dont want all my business out like that. but ive included some pics of what it looks like.

this is a previous one she did for me last year (i had her braid the front):

naijabelle
naijabelle

Back to top Go down

Post by naijabelle 19th February 2010, 3:42 pm

[quote
I cowashed my hair 1x/2x a week and used diluted shampoo for dry scalps when it itched too much. I used a spray bottle for this application and and always braided my hair in plaits for washing. I moisturized with braid sprays, curl activators and my own mix of glycerin, water, EOs like peppermint and tea tree. I sealed with my own mix of EVOO and EOs including sweet orange oil to mask the peppermint. At night, I twisted my hair in plaits and covered with my satin scarf. This routine along with tightening when needed lasted me from Labor Day weekend until nearly Thanksgiving last year.

[/quote]

did u do all this with a sew-in?
naijabelle
naijabelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down