CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twist and Curl!

+20
KeishaMac
vonda4b
StacyB
Raytay
Mz. Thang
krenea
NikE
BlakButterfli
Reshon30
HoneynBrown
natural83
NikG20
AfroButtafly
tiashaunteƩ
MixedStraightUp
*CurlyNikki*
bella gee
loveself247
oooop2
RandRlove
24 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Twist and Curl! - Page 2 Empty Re: Twist and Curl!

Post by BlakButterfli 10th December 2009, 3:24 pm

@ NikkiE - I'll make a little room for you on the right side. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I have been wanting to try a rod/roller-set for awhile. I'm just not a hair person, as far as styling. I'll have to talk my sister into helping me. And I agree with you. My hair is probably healthier now AND it took TOO long to get it to the length it is, so I'll never relax it again. There are actually days I love my hair. Really. There are. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

LOL @ Krenea. Girl, I've actually stuck a ruler in my head and stretched my hair out to see how long it was - and I was at WORK! lol According to that raggedy science, my longest pieces are about 5 inches long and the shortest (nape of my neck) are at about 3 inches.

My hair hangs on the side a little bit, but the top is determined to head up the mountain. lol I BC'd back in October of 2007, so I'm at a little over 2 years. So, we'll see what happens in 2010. I've been working out more and only drinking water (well, Diet Dr. Pepper on the weekends - I can't quit it!) so hopefully, that will help.

Oh - sorry ladies for turning this thread around! I love the look of the TnC and hope to be able to do it one day! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by krenea 10th December 2009, 4:55 pm

Oh! I forgot that I bought three packs of magnetic rollers last weekend at Sally's! I said that after my 30-day no-comb challenge was up that I was going to do two-strand twists for the two weeks that I'm on Christmas vacation, but now I think I'm going to try the roller set! I'm SOOOOO excited about having enough length to roller set and do some twist outs!!!
krenea
krenea

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 10th December 2009, 6:07 pm

@ krenea - Well, I'm a pro at the two-strand twist. I just don't do them neatly enough to wear by themselves ( I resemble Ms. Cellie from The Color Purple) so I end up taking them down and doing a twist-out.

I'm worried about the texture of my hair and doing a roller-set. I guess I should get some setting lotion and try to tackle them as if my hair were relaxed?

At least the great thing about our length (you, me and NikkiE) is that we are GORGEOUS girls who carry the short look well. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by NikE 10th December 2009, 6:25 pm

Thanks BlakButterFli!! You should definitely try a roller-set, this is mine Day 2...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
NikE
NikE

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 10th December 2009, 6:42 pm

@ NikkiE - that is SOO cute! What do you use? I know small rollers, but I'm not sure if the old school Lotta Body setting stuff will work now.

My hair is some type of very soft 4a/4b hodgepodge - is that your hair type as well?
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by NikE 10th December 2009, 7:10 pm

Thanks! I...

...co-washed with Traders Joe's tea tree conditioner (Love it)
...detangled each section w/ cantu leave-in (Love-it)
...put a mixture of coconut oil, shea butter, and avocado oil (my bootleg version of whipped shea butter [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]) (needs work)
...sprayed with some infusium 23 and then rolled em. (Love I23)

This morning I "revived" with my bootleg shea butter and fluffed it a bit. Overall, it's ok, but I would like for the curlys to be less frizzy.

As for my hair type, I really don't know but if I had to guess, I would say it's something like a checker board of 4a and 4b hair. Some spots are curly, and others are frizzy but coily. My hair is very soft as well, it sounds like we have very similar textures.

Also, I like the size of the rollers cause it's makes a similar curl pattern to what I think are the 4a curls.
NikE
NikE

Back to top Go down

Post by krenea 10th December 2009, 7:19 pm

I have rods and rollers, but I think I'm going to use rollers to do my set. I want to see the length! It's going to be a challenge, I'm sure, to keep those sections straight until I can get them on the rollers, though! Mahagony Curls recently did a roller set and used conditioner instead of setting lotion. Her set turned out so cute! I think I'm going to use conditioner mixed with oil; I'd rather not have crunchy hair...But then again, CurlyNikki used a mixture of setting lotion and conditioner and had a softer set that way. Guess I'll hunt down a good, natural mousse. Maybe Jane Carter Wrap & Roll. Anyone tried it?
krenea
krenea

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 10th December 2009, 7:38 pm

Where can I find Trader Joe's? I've heard a lot about it. There is not a Whole Foods near me, but we have a store called Sprouts that is similar.

Rods are the plasticy things, right? @ krenea? Like, perm rods? Man, I am going to have to sweet talk my sister! lol I can get the front and sides done, but I'm going to need her help on the kitchen. I may turn this into a project come Sunday afternoon. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by Mz. Thang 10th December 2009, 9:49 pm

Okay I did my first tnc myself and love it but need 2 knw what shuld I do 4 it @ nite do I retwist every nite or what? Pls help
Mz. Thang
Mz. Thang

Back to top Go down

Post by Reshon30 10th December 2009, 11:15 pm

JUST GIVE YOUR HAIR AS MUCH TENDER LOVING CARE AS POSSIBLE AND BELIEVE ME IT WILL GROW! Lol, sorry for all the caps, didn't know my key was down. My hair seems to grow pretty fast, it has been only 2 years for me, but i think it is because of the things i use. I use nothing but organic and all natural products in my hair and i think it really helps "feed" the hair. In the beginning, i was hating my short length, but i think what is most important is that it is healthy. Unhealthy hair will not grow. I hated to get trims because it meant cutting my already short hair shorter (lol). But trust, natural hair grows in my opinion, faster than our chemical sisters. I think you all look beautiful in those avatars!! I wish you all the best Smile. God Bless!
Reshon30
Reshon30

https://www.youtube.com/reshon30

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 10th December 2009, 11:54 pm

Thanks @ Reshon30. Though I don't want to speak for the other ladies, I need encouragement. If I may ask (and be nosy) what do you use on your hair?
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by Reshon30 11th December 2009, 12:50 am

You are very welcome BlakButterfli Smile . Actually the only thing i use on my hair for moisture and to help style it is Castor Oil that i buy from a health food store here. I use it on my hair after cowashing with Taliah Waajid's conditioner or Aubrey Organic's "Honeysuckle Rose" conditioner . I take a fingertip of the oil and smooth it in each section of my hair as i twist. Sometimes i will use flaxseed gel that i make to slick down my edges. That is really about it. Oh and i have not used it in a while, but i love this product called "Whipped Pudding" by Oyin Handmade. Those are the only things that i use. In the beginning i didn't know what to do or use and i ended up making my hair really dry. I hated how dry it was. I started using henna too which also can make your hair dry. I discovered a site called Mehandi.com and started buying their henna. I add olive oil to my mix and i love how moisturized it is! I also use their indigo for jet black hair. I hope that this helped some, please let me know what i can do to help more Smile . Please feel free to watch some of my videos on Youtube. My name is "reshon30" there. You can click under my avatar and go right to it. Take care and God Bless!
Reshon30
Reshon30

Back to top Go down

Post by Reshon30 11th December 2009, 12:54 am

Hi Krenea! I personally do not like jane Carter's products, i use to use the Loc and Twist and that was actually ok. I used the product you are talking about and it made my usually soft hair feel dry and brittle! I had to condition my hair 3 times until it started to feel normal again. I will never use it again. I only hold onto it because it may work good in my daughter's hair. But that is only my personal opinion/experience. I wish you the best of luck Smile!
Reshon30
Reshon30

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 15th December 2009, 3:07 am

I have honestly fell in love with the Twist N Curl! The more & more I do it, the better it gets! But I do have a question about the maintenance of it! For me, I have to twist my hair up at night to keep it from getting wild. I usually just twist it up and moisturize and that's it! Should I be spraying a mixture of water and conditioner on it every night to kind of reset it?
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by Raytay 22nd December 2009, 12:07 pm

@ Natural83, I have the same question. My day 2 hair is always flat and frizzy on the right side. grrrrr! I usually end up doing a bun on day 2 and retwisting or doing a wash and go on day 3. It would be nice to get a few more days out of my t-n-c since it takes so long to twist and DRY! Maybe I'll try to retwist at night like you do.
Raytay
Raytay

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 22nd December 2009, 12:26 pm

@Raytay Yes girl, I have to twist at night in order for me to preserve the style! Me just pulling it up in a ponytail will not work for me! LOL! Maybe once I get some more length, that might work, but it isn't for now! I have been rewetting and resetting it, and its actually turned out better than when I orginally do it! So i guess you just have to play around and see what works and what doesn't!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by Raytay 22nd December 2009, 12:36 pm

Do you detangle and all that or just grab and twist? I hate combing my dry hair Sad
Raytay
Raytay

Back to top Go down

Post by StacyB 22nd December 2009, 11:14 pm

I am trying the TnC for the first time tonight. If I can get my boyfriend to take pics I will try and post them. Keep me in your hair prayers so it will come out nice.

I forgot who, but somebody said they didn't like rocking regular twists because they look like Celie from Color Purple. I feel the same way. I twist it up just to do a twist out. I may wear the twists for 2 days but with a hair band pulled back.
StacyB
StacyB

http://naturalbloggingsofayoungsocialworker.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 22nd December 2009, 11:17 pm

@StacyB LMAOOOO @ Celie from The Color Purple!!!! Girl I probably look like Miss Celie every night when I go to bed then! LOL! Make sure you take so pics so we can see your hair!

Good luck! What are you going to use for your leave-in?
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by StacyB 25th December 2009, 7:59 pm

Ok so the boyfriend wasnt around to take the pics but it was very very cute. I put on a head band and it worked. Im on (I think) 3 day hair now. It will be one of my staple hairstyles. I love it.

As my leave it I used shea butter and I set it with setting lotion. Every morning I rub shea butter (I think its shea butter hair dress) on it slip on a head band and bounce.
StacyB
StacyB

http://naturalbloggingsofayoungsocialworker.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by vonda4b 26th December 2009, 11:33 pm

Thought I would post a pic of my first TNC I did Christmas Eve. Think it came out pretty good.
vonda4b
vonda4b

Back to top Go down

Twist and Curl! - Page 2 Empty TNC for going out.

Post by KeishaMac 27th December 2009, 3:13 am

My first successful TNC...I think it turned out nice. Sorry for the face, I was on the phone with the hubby.
KeishaMac
KeishaMac

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 27th December 2009, 4:03 am

Great profile pic, KeishaMac [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by KeishaMac 27th December 2009, 3:38 pm

Thanks, intelligent beauty! I love your big beautiful curls in your pic!
KeishaMac
KeishaMac

Back to top Go down

Post by vonda4b 27th December 2009, 6:43 pm

These are some great pics of everybody's TNC.
vonda4b
vonda4b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next