CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with Twist and Curl

+2
NylaCoils
KinkySheaPT
6 posters

Go down

Help with Twist and Curl Empty Help with Twist and Curl

Post by KinkySheaPT 13th November 2009, 8:50 am

Ok everyone, I have been having the hardest time with the twist and curl style. The problem is that most of my hair takes to the style really well but there is a patch of hair in the very back of my head that just will not take. It just comes out a huge frizzy mess. Now to be honest I first attempted this style last week and has tried it three times since using various products but always ending up with the same result. I spend hours letting my hair dry and always carefully untwist but when I fluff it just turns to a mess. The rest of my hair is awesome until you get to the back and it just looks terrible. Like I didn't even try. So I just end up putting my hair in an afro puff with all the work flushed down the drain. I really want to start wearing this style as I have worn my afro puff ever since Spring and as cute as it is it is getting old. Does any one have any suggestions? I am so totally frustrated by this.
KinkySheaPT
KinkySheaPT

Back to top Go down

Help with Twist and Curl Empty Re: Help with Twist and Curl

Post by NylaCoils 13th November 2009, 10:36 am

Me too! I have tried to do the twist and curl and each time it comes out frizzy poofy mess!
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 13th November 2009, 1:22 pm

What products are you using before you twist? Are you sealing the twist from the root to the twist? If so, what are you using?

Perhaps keep the twists in longer before you undo them. I did that this week and, I had a decent TnC. I took the twists down after five days. The TnC was a little flat but much better than my first attempt.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkySheaPT 13th November 2009, 4:46 pm

Here is what I did yesterday afternoon
:
I with my hair twists, I shampooed my scalp with Giovanni's Triple Threat Tea Tree Shampoo, Deep conditioned with ORS Replenishing Pack (about 1 hour with added veggie glycerine), Rinsed and used HE Tousle Me Softly conditioner as a leave in and left concentrated amounts on the ends. Rolled and let dry. This morning the rest of my hair was pretty mosturized and had a great shine but that patch in the back of my head was like I didn't even touch it. It didn't even look like a wash and go. Any suggestions for maybe using different products? I really want to be able to rock this style at the upcoming holiday parties.
KinkySheaPT
KinkySheaPT

Back to top Go down

Help with Twist and Curl Empty Perhaps It's the Glycerin and/or Other Humectant

Post by ChrsLvsBks 13th November 2009, 5:21 pm

It could be the added glycerin. Perhaps that patch is drier than other areas and the glycerin is not helping add/retain moisture. I see you live in a cool climate. Your hair's moisture could be compromised by using humectants, which glycerin is, when the weather cools.

Curly Nikki had a post on winter regimen's under articles on nc.com. It provided a list of common humectants.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by crvng4mr 13th November 2009, 7:09 pm

I have the same problem except mine is in my crown area. I think it has to do with porosity. Most of my hair has very little porosity but I think that section is extremely porous due to consistantly being manipulated. I am going to try protein treatments in that area and will let you know the outcome. But i hear you it is drivingme crazy too!
crvng4mr
crvng4mr

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkySheaPT 13th November 2009, 7:41 pm

So, do you think the glycerin is having the opposite effect on the hair? I never even thought about that. Being in New Hampshire the air is so dry here in the winter and I'm trying everything I can to keep my hair moist and from breaking. This will be my first full winter in NH without braids and I'm terrified to death about dryiness and breakage. I'll have to search nc.com for the article. Could it also be a texture thing as well or porosity like crvng4mr mentioned? Or something else I'm totally over looking?

P.S Thanks so much for your help guys!!
KinkySheaPT
KinkySheaPT

Back to top Go down

Post by Natural Wheezes 13th November 2009, 8:30 pm

Once winter really hits, the glycerin will be a major problem. Instead of drawing moisture from the air, it will have the opposite effect as the dry winter clime starts hijacking the moisture from your head for its own selfish purposes! You may want to try sealing lightly with a butter or oil, and then a gel like IC Gel with aloe vera or pure aloe vera gel to help set the twists.
Natural Wheezes
Natural Wheezes

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkySheaPT 15th November 2009, 1:03 pm

Thanks ladies! I read up on some articles on glycerin and the winter months and learned quite a bit. I put away my humicant products and picked up some "winter friendly" products including raw shea butter to seal the ends. I will give this a shot again with my fingers crossed. Thanks ladies for all your help!!
KinkySheaPT
KinkySheaPT

Back to top Go down

Help with Twist and Curl Empty Thanks for the discussion!

Post by KeishaMac 3rd December 2009, 12:51 am

I most definitely appreciate the back and forth of this thread. Although I am in CA and we don't get "cold", it is still dry. I am trying my 2nd TNC tonight. The 1st one was a frizzy mess. Wish me luck! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
KeishaMac
KeishaMac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down