CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask BostonMaria

+18
anna20204
MissyMani
PearlsNCurls
Russet
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)
tsa919
ree1995
opheiliamath
JoyCurl
Intelligentbeauty
MahoganyCurls
raina
NikG20
babygirl84
BostonMaria
NaturalNurse04
Hollis
*CurlyNikki*
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ask BostonMaria Empty Ask BostonMaria

Post by *CurlyNikki* 12th November 2009, 9:25 pm

Ask the gorgeous BostonMaria, aka MariaG all of your roller-setting, transitioning, and 3b/c curl questions here! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by *CurlyNikki* on 13th November 2009, 5:28 pm; edited 5 times in total
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

http://www.curlynikki.com

Back to top Go down

Ask BostonMaria Empty Re: Ask BostonMaria

Post by Hollis 12th November 2009, 9:32 pm

Hi, I'm not sure what hair type I am but in my avatar, I had a braid n curl. Are you able to tell I would I have to take a picture with my hair in its natural state?
Hollis
Hollis

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalNurse04 13th November 2009, 1:24 pm

Hey Maria!

I absolutely love your hair and I have been stalking your fotki since I did my bc in February. It seems as though as my hair is getting longer, parts of it are becoming more wavy instead of curly (especially in the crown area). Is this characteristic of 3b? Thanks! Very Happy
NaturalNurse04
NaturalNurse04

Back to top Go down

Post by BostonMaria 13th November 2009, 3:27 pm

NaturalNurse04 wrote:Hey Maria!

I absolutely love your hair and I have been stalking your fotki since I did my bc in February. It seems as though as my hair is getting longer, parts of it are becoming more wavy instead of curly (especially in the crown area). Is this characteristic of 3b? Thanks! Very Happy

Thank you so much NaturalNurse! I really appreciate it!

I have mostly 3C all over and 3b in the back and what I've noticed is that the 3C will get looser as my hair gets longer. My guess is that the weight of my hair weighs is down. I get like a cute spiral curl at the bottom now. The 3B hair in the back has always had more of a looser wave pattern to it since day one. Makes a GREAT mullet when I do a wash and go LOL

I can't tell if you are 3c or 3b by your picture but I'm sure its a mixture of both. Hair types are not one size fits all. HTH! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
BostonMaria
BostonMaria

Back to top Go down

Post by BostonMaria 13th November 2009, 3:28 pm

Hollis wrote:Hi, I'm not sure what hair type I am but in my avatar, I had a braid n curl. Are you able to tell I would I have to take a picture with my hair in its natural state?

Hello Hollis, that is a really pretty braid and curl! In order for me to type your hair I'd have to see a wash and go, but if I were to make an edumacated guess [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I'd say 3C.
BostonMaria
BostonMaria

Back to top Go down

Post by babygirl84 13th November 2009, 3:52 pm

Hi Maria, would you recommend going to the Dominicans to get my hair straightened throught the rollerset and blow out or do you think the heat they use for the blowout would be too damaging? If so, do you think they would just roll my hair and wrap it so when I go home, I could flat iron it myself?
babygirl84
babygirl84

Back to top Go down

Post by BostonMaria 13th November 2009, 5:41 pm

babygirl84 wrote:Hi Maria, would you recommend going to the Dominicans to get my hair straightened throught the rollerset and blow out or do you think the heat they use for the blowout would be too damaging? If so, do you think they would just roll my hair and wrap it so when I go home, I could flat iron it myself?

I would recommend that you:

• Detangle your hair before you go to the salon.
  • Ask for a deep conditioning treatment. If you want to save some money, bring your own deep conditioner. I do this all the time.
  • Make sure they rollerset your hair first, don't let them blow dry your hair straight. This can cause heat damage.
  • Just in case, bring in your own heat protectant in case they don't have any or don't use any
  • Sometimes I even bring my own comb and brush to detangle my hair once they've washed it. I won't let anyone detangle with a rat tail comb. Yes people have tried LOL [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I wouldn't recommend you get these blow outs all the time. They tend to be damaging if you do them too often. I always speak up if they use way too much heat on the blow drying part. If you go once in a blue moon you'll be fine. I used to get these when I was transitioning. If you have time try experimenting with rollersets and doing them at home. Its much cheaper and your hair will be healthier. One advice I always give people, if you don't know the stylist and she gives you an attitude because you're either transitioning or have natural hair.. take your money somewhere else [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Please post pictures when you get your hair done! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
BostonMaria
BostonMaria

Back to top Go down

Post by babygirl84 13th November 2009, 5:52 pm

Thanks so much!
babygirl84
babygirl84

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalNurse04 13th November 2009, 6:18 pm

Thanks!
NaturalNurse04
NaturalNurse04

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollis 13th November 2009, 8:06 pm

Thanks Maria! I love all of the styles you have done with your hair! They all look really good. I think I am going to get some rollers and try to roller set my hair after watching your video! Do you think I could let it air dry instead of going under the dryer?
Hollis
Hollis

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 13th November 2009, 11:20 pm

I *heart* BostonMaria Very Happy

I'm so happy you're posting in CurlFriends!!!
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

http://www.curlynikki.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 13th November 2009, 11:51 pm

[quote="Hollis"]Thanks Maria! I love all of the styles you have done with your hair! They all look really good. I think I am going to get some rollers and try to roller set my hair after watching your video! Do you think I could let it air dry instead of going under the dryer?[/quote]

That is exactly what I would like to know Maria! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] What do you think the outcome would be? I've used the flexi-rods on my daughter's hair and let it air dry, it comes out great. So I'm curious if a rollerset would be similar....
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by raina 14th November 2009, 4:51 pm

Hi Maria! I wish i would have talked to you before i went to the Dominican salon.I only went one time this past summer .Needless to say i didnt do anything that you suggested above and i do believe that i have some heat damage to my hair.She rollerset it first but the blowout was torture! I dont know how people get this done every week!My curls are not as bouncy as they use to be, and i dont think its the henna. I rarely straighten my hair with heat.What can i do now to keep it strong?My hair is med to fine3c
raina
raina

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 16th November 2009, 6:49 pm

BostonMaria wrote:
NaturalNurse04 wrote:Hey Maria!

Thank you so much NaturalNurse! I really appreciate it!

I have mostly 3C all over and 3b in the back and what I've noticed is that the 3C will get looser as my hair gets longer. My guess is that the weight of my hair weighs is down. I get like a cute spiral curl at the bottom now. The 3B hair in the back has always had more of a looser wave pattern to it since day one. Makes a GREAT mullet when I do a wash and go LOL

I can't tell if you are 3c or 3b by your picture but I'm sure its a mixture of both. Hair types are not one size fits all. HTH! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It sure does make a mullet!!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I am having this problem now! lol!!!!!
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by BostonMaria 19th November 2009, 12:01 am

[quote="NikG20"]
Hollis wrote:Thanks Maria! I love all of the styles you have done with your hair! They all look really good. I think I am going to get some rollers and try to roller set my hair after watching your video! Do you think I could let it air dry instead of going under the dryer?[/quote]

That is exactly what I would like to know Maria! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] What do you think the outcome would be? I've used the flexi-rods on my daughter's hair and let it air dry, it comes out great. So I'm curious if a rollerset would be similar....

I air dry all the time. The only problem is my hair is MBL now and very thick so this might mean HOURS upon HOURS of drying LOL I'm talking 8-10 hours. Sometimes I will let it get damp, then go under the dryer for the last 30 minutes. Its indirect heat and I leave it on medium so it doesn't cause damage.

As far as rollersetting her beautiful hair, it would come out either straight or it might need a light flatironing to make it straight. Try it though because I get beautiful results when I don't flatiron my rollerset hair. For some reason my hair comes out straight, but the bottom curls up and it looks so cute people ask me if its an extension LOL

raina wrote:Hi Maria! I wish i would have talked to you before i went to the Dominican salon.I only went one time this past summer .Needless to say i didnt do anything that you suggested above and i do believe that i have some heat damage to my hair.She rollerset it first but the blowout was torture! I dont know how people get this done every week!My curls are not as bouncy as they use to be, and i dont think its the henna. I rarely straighten my hair with heat.What can i do now to keep it strong?My hair is med to fine3c

Oh man I'm soo sorry this happened to you! Yes this happens more than it should. You will either have to cut those straight parts gradually (some people do it over time, some get impatient and cut off those pieces even if it means inches of hair) or you can try deep conditioning your hair for at least 8 weeks to see if your curls will come back. I always recommend Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose and if it doesn't have enough "slip" then mix it with a favorite conditioner (1/2 AOHR & 1/2 Condish) to give it some pizzazz LOL Again I'm so sorry this happened to you, but don't beat yourself up for it.
BostonMaria
BostonMaria

Back to top Go down

Post by raina 19th November 2009, 9:34 pm

Thank you Maria!
raina
raina

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 23rd November 2009, 3:22 am

Hello Maria,
I first found you on naturallycurly. I think your advice is right on the money and your hair is gorgeous.
So here is my question: I am an 8 month transition. I have set my BC date for 4 months from now. However, I decided to cut off 3 inches off my hair because I wanted to do rod sets and it were taken way to long to dry.(got tired of the twwist out) I still have permed hair left. Anyway, I am happy that I did. But now that I see my natural hair even more and I am noticing it is not responding as nice as I thought it was to my products. It looks fizzy and doesnt feel as soft. I am wondering when you transitioned and finally did the BC, did you have to transition your products as well? And how long did you transition for?
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by JoyCurl 29th November 2009, 10:11 pm

Hey There Maria,

After your BC how soon did you get your first trim?
Did you do it yourself?
Was it cut in a style or just dusted?
If it was done professionally, did they cut your hair wet or dry, curly or straight?

Can you tell that I am thinking about getting a trim? LOL

Last edited by JoyCurl on 30th November 2009, 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoyCurl
JoyCurl

http://public.fotki.com/joycurl/

Back to top Go down

Post by opheiliamath 29th November 2009, 10:20 pm

No real question just a shut out to your beautiful hair...and shout because you're from Boston! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ...sorry... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
opheiliamath
opheiliamath

Back to top Go down

Post by BostonMaria 4th December 2009, 1:27 pm

Intelligentbeauty wrote:Hello Maria,
I first found you on naturallycurly. I think your advice is right on the money and your hair is gorgeous.
So here is my question: I am an 8 month transition. I have set my BC date for 4 months from now. However, I decided to cut off 3 inches off my hair because I wanted to do rod sets and it were taken way to long to dry.(got tired of the twwist out) I still have permed hair left. Anyway, I am happy that I did. But now that I see my natural hair even more and I am noticing it is not responding as nice as I thought it was to my products. It looks fizzy and doesnt feel as soft. I am wondering when you transitioned and finally did the BC, did you have to transition your products as well? And how long did you transition for?

Thank you Intelligentbeauty and congrats on deciding to transition! I transitioned for 10 months and yes I had to transition most of the products when I finally did the BC. I was as surprised as you are when certain products just didn't respond anymore. For example, I used to love Joico and now my natural hair just laughs at it [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I turned into a PJ trying to find products that would work for me. When you do the BC don't be surprised if you have to find new products that will respond to your natural hair. Its a process though. Once you know what your hair likes it does become easier.

My hair used to look frizzy when I was transitioning, but now I realize that the relaxed hair was weighing my hair down and tangling up so it was a pain to detangle. A few conditioners that worked on my 50/50 hair was Tresemme conditioner, Silk Elements deep conditoner, Herbal Essense, and Diez en Uno. If you like online products I would try the Afroveda, Hairveda or Karen's Body Beautiful lines.

JoyCurl wrote:Hey There Maria,

After your BC how soon did you get your first trim?
Did you do it yourself?
Was it cut in a style or just dusted?
If it was done professionally, did they cut your hair wet or dry, curly or straight?

Can you tell that I am thinking about getting a trim? LOL

Don't laugh but I haven't trimmed since my BC! LOL That was 27 months ago! I just do search and destroys. I only dust and I haven't had a professional cut in a long time. When I finally get my hair trimmed I will probably do it myself and I'll cut it straight.

opheiliamath wrote:No real question just a shut out to your beautiful hair...and shout because you're from Boston! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ...sorry... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thank you!! woot! woot! I really appreciate it! Go Boston!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
BostonMaria
BostonMaria

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 4th December 2009, 3:22 pm

Thank you Maria. But did the frizz go away after you BC? And are you saying it is frizzy for me now because the perm hair is weighing it down? What did you have when you finally BC: TWA, medium fro or ponytail puff?
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by JoyCurl 4th December 2009, 5:00 pm

Thank you!
JoyCurl
JoyCurl

http://public.fotki.com/joycurl/

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 7th December 2009, 2:01 am

Why aren't you known as an expert transitioner on here? You are so good at explaining this stuff and sooo many of us need help on the transition thread on here. Can you ask Nikki if maybe you can post your transitioner thread you had on Naturallycurly.com (that started me out) on her transition page. All the newbies are going there but there is no expert there with basic info posted.
Thanks
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by ree1995 7th December 2009, 4:49 pm

Hi Maria,
Is coconut oil only used on damp or wet hair? Is it ever used on dry hair? People seem to rave about it all the time, but I'm not sure if it's a sealer, moisturizer or just something for sheen. All?

ree1995

Back to top Go down

Post by tsa919 7th December 2009, 10:22 pm

Hi Maria,

What would you recommend for a great detangler for a 3c? I notice after I wear my hair curly after a few days I brush it up into a ponytail and when I try to detangle I have a pile of knatted/knotted hair.LOL.A hott mess.How do I fix this?Should I get a leave-in or am I doing something wrong?I air dry all the time.
tsa919
tsa919

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum