CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moisturizing scalp

+5
Curlz of Luv
Lynnieluve
Hollis
nikkinixnicole
chocolate-kinks
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Moisturizing scalp Empty Moisturizing scalp

Post by chocolate-kinks 13th February 2010, 12:02 am

Well its Winter in NYC and its really cold. Because I have a little bald spot (its growing back) in front of my head I decided to wear my natural hair out. I know lots of naturals decide to wear their hair in protective styles such as braids to protect their ends, but every time I put in braids it seems to yank out whats growing of the bald spot. So okay, today I was looking into my scalp and saw that it was dry. I then added some coconut oil to give it some moisture. I am currently using a aloe vera mix which consist of aloe vera, glycerine and different kinds of oils. It makes my hair superrrr soft and I love it. It is also good for twist outs. After seeing how dry my scalp was today, I thought it could be because of the glycerine (I heard its not good to use glycerine in the winter because it can suck out the moisture because of the cold), but then I remember I never really applied the mix to my scalp. After today I then realized that I hardly ever focus on moisturizing my scalp, but concerned about moisturizing and sealing my ends. I'm going to beging moisturizing my scalp now, but I'm unsure on how exactly to apply it to my hair. Should I just rub some in my hands and apply it to my hair, or should I do it section by section? Do I have to moisturize my scalp with oil, or are there other alternatives?
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Moisturizing scalp Empty Re: Moisturizing scalp

Post by nikkinixnicole 13th February 2010, 9:49 pm

Have you tried castor oil?? I find this oil really moisturizing and has worked wonders with my winter dryness.
nikkinixnicole
nikkinixnicole

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollis 13th February 2010, 10:55 pm

Castor Oil is also good for hair growth.
Hollis
Hollis

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 14th February 2010, 12:49 am

I've been using a castor oil mix for about 2 weeks now and I've noticed a big difference. Castor oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, tea tree oil and peppermint oil. I apply this to my scalp using an applicator bottle.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlz of Luv 14th February 2010, 1:04 am

I know the aloe vera gel I purchased is not 100% aloe and has been drying to my hair so I can only use very little.

Also are you using vegetable glycerin? Initially I bought my glycerin from Walmart and I read it was really bad for your hair.

Also I am using a castor oil mix (castor oil, almond oil, tea tree eo) in an applicator bottle and it definitely helps with dryness.
Curlz of Luv
Curlz of Luv

http://curlsofluv.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Moisturizing scalp Empty Castor Oil

Post by chocolate-kinks 14th February 2010, 4:46 am

No I have not tried Castor oil. In the Aloe mix I use coconut oil, EVOO and Peppermint oil. I've never actually applied it on my scalp so that may be why its so dry. I've heard plenty of great things about CO so I'll def buy some.
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 14th February 2010, 5:15 am

anewme223 wrote:I know the aloe vera gel I purchased is not 100% aloe and has been drying to my hair so I can only use very little.

Also are you using vegetable glycerin? Initially I bought my glycerin from Walmart and I read it was really bad for your hair.

Also I am using a castor oil mix (castor oil, almond oil, tea tree eo) in an applicator bottle and it definitely helps with dryness.

Yeah it is Veg Glycerin. It's actually from Africare http://img.walgreens.com/dbimagecache/07570720095_220x220_a.jpg
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 14th February 2010, 10:49 am

chocolate-kinks wrote:
anewme223 wrote:I know the aloe vera gel I purchased is not 100% aloe and has been drying to my hair so I can only use very little.

Yeah it is Veg Glycerin. It's actually from Africare http://img.walgreens.com/dbimagecache/07570720095_220x220_a.jpg

The Africare brand of glycerin is not vegetable glycerin. Dejewel, our Curlynikki chemist, told another curly not to use the Africare brand.

Here is the thread.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 14th February 2010, 5:01 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:
chocolate-kinks wrote:

The Africare brand of glycerin is not vegetable glycerin. Dejewel, our Curlynikki chemist, told another curly not to use the Africare brand.

Here is the thread.

WOW! OMG are you serious. WOWWWW and I have another bottle of it to use. I cant believe this. Thanks for the update though. WOW. I though it would be okay because mines says 100% glycerin, Kosher, No animal Fat. Wow and I cant take it back Sad
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilqis 16th February 2010, 1:48 pm

hi all,
just wondering how often you apply the castor oil to your scalp and/or hair. I have some castor oil that i want to mix with coconut oil, jojoba and some rosemary. Tryna take my hair from brillo to beautiful God willing.
Thanx

Bilqis

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 16th February 2010, 9:29 pm

Bilqis wrote:hi all,
just wondering how often you apply the castor oil to your scalp and/or hair. I have some castor oil that i want to mix with coconut oil, jojoba and some rosemary. Tryna take my hair from brillo to beautiful God willing.
Thanx

Honestly I've never used castor oil. I've heard awesome things about it, and I do plan on trying it eventually. What I have learned is to use my own judgement. See, everyones hair is not the same so what my hair might like, yours may not. I would be unable to tell you an exact time of how often to add castor oil to your hair because it depends on how quickly your hair sucks up the moisture. So I recommend that you try it and see how it works for your hair. HTH Smile
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Moisturizing scalp Empty Glycerin

Post by chocolate-kinks 16th February 2010, 9:32 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:
chocolate-kinks wrote:

Here is the thread.

What kind of glycerin would you recommend then?
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 16th February 2010, 9:45 pm

chocolate-kinks wrote:
Lynnieluve wrote:
chocolate-kinks wrote:

Here is the thread.

I use the Now Foods brand. If you have a Whole Foods in your area, I think they sale it there.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 16th February 2010, 9:48 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:
chocolate-kinks wrote:
Lynnieluve wrote:
chocolate-kinks wrote:

Here is the thread.

I use the Now Foods brand. If you have a Whole Foods in your area, I think they sale it there.

Oh okay I'll def look into that. How many ounces is the bottle? and approx how much is it
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 16th February 2010, 10:17 pm

I have a 16oz bottle....If I remember correctly, it was about $5-$7.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by bklynmama1 16th February 2010, 10:18 pm

My hair is also suffering through the NYC winter. Where can I buy castor oil? I want to give it a try
bklynmama1
bklynmama1

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 16th February 2010, 11:14 pm

I purchased my castor from iherb.com but I'm sure you can find it locally.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 16th February 2010, 11:50 pm

I know they sell them at the beauty supply store.
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 16th February 2010, 11:52 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:I have a 16oz bottle....If I remember correctly, it was about $5-$7.

Okay Thanks. I'm going to look it up now.
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 16th February 2010, 11:53 pm

chocolate-kinks wrote:I know they sell them at the beauty supply store.

You dont want the one from the BSS. Check out the blog post from yesterday about castor oil.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 16th February 2010, 11:55 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:
chocolate-kinks wrote:I know they sell them at the beauty supply store.

You dont want the one from the BSS. Check out the blog post from yesterday about castor oil.

I'll look for it now. So far it doesnt seem like the beauty supply store is our friend lol.
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 17th February 2010, 12:12 am

Oh I just saw the blog. I was warned about reading the ingredients a while back so I already knew that. Thanks though Smile
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 17th February 2010, 12:31 am

Does anyone know about NOW Castor oil? I just saw it online, but it says something about a laxative LOLLL.

http://www.nutritiongeeks.com/p-7799-castor-oil.aspx

I've saw a couple of other Castor oil's and also saw that they were Laxative's. What are thoes about? I also spoke to a pharamist and she explained that Castor Oil is used as a natural laxative, so how come we use it in our hair? or do we use a different Castor Oil in our hair b/c right now im a little confused.
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 22nd February 2010, 2:07 am

I think I may have found a normal Castor Oil. YAY. I also answered my own question about if the Castor Oil that is used as a lax is the same as the hair. Here is what I found http://www.hairfinder.com/hairquestions/castor_oil.htm
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 22nd February 2010, 2:19 am

You could probably just find castor oil at The Vitamin Shoppe (there's one on Atlantic Ave), instead of buying it online (I have little patience). On my
way to BAM a few weeks ago, I had to fight the urge to empty out my pockets
and buy some lol.
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next