CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Natural Hair Blowout

+21
aliariess
PaganWifey
raina
MsJay1121
poeticlyspkng
curly+kinky+fierce
new-naturalle
Curly Film Chick
Lynnieluve
specialk
PanaR3dd
My fro loves me
BajanPrincess82
Karyn
PyreFli42
d.denise
TerraD
KinkyKurls4Krystal
LadyMika
Muz
jlowman1
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Natural Hair Blowout Empty Natural Hair Blowout

Post by jlowman1 10th February 2010, 8:37 pm

For some reason I stumbled across this Youtube video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-cMEThw0Os&feature=related

I've heard of indiviuals getting Dominican Blowouts but I never knew exactly what they were. This looks kinda scary. At approximately 4:35, the blow drying is making her hair smoke. Is this normal? Would this not cause a serious case of heat damaged curls that wont revert back?

Im curious... Weigh in with your opinions and experiences! Thanks!
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Natural Hair Blowout Empty Re: Natural Hair Blowout

Post by Muz 10th February 2010, 10:13 pm

I've never had one, and after looking at that I don't want one. I happen to not miss the burnt hair smell, it looks like that salon reeks of that smell. I could almost smell the burntness through my screen while watching. I'm with you, that looks scary. And then after all of that, they flat iron it ~smh~
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 10th February 2010, 10:28 pm

I KNOW RIGHT!

Im like there is no possible way that hair is going to revert back. I was really amazed at this video. That flat iron and blowdryer looked like the temperature settings were on HELL! It looked soooo hot! I wonder how often those that go this route get this done?
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 10th February 2010, 10:35 pm

I only got a blowout ONCE from the Dominicans, and that was when I had relaxed hair (and it hurt like HELL, and my hair was DRY because they used so much damned heat!!).

But relaxed or not, I AIN'T GOIN' BACK THERE. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] HELL NO.
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 10th February 2010, 10:37 pm

@ladymika... Did they put any product on your hair before using the blowdryer and flat iron? and if so, do you know what it was?
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 10th February 2010, 10:48 pm

jlowman1 wrote:@ladymika... Did they put any product on your hair before using the blowdryer and flat iron? and if so, do you know what it was?

If they put ANY kind of product on my hair, I swear to you, they fried it OUT of my hair--that's just HOW HIGH the temperatures of the appliances were. That video is no joke, they REALLY DO THAT. It was as if they just shampoo'd my hair and then blew it out with no conditioner. My hair was so brittle and dry. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I said NEVER AGAIN after that.
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyKurls4Krystal 10th February 2010, 10:57 pm

a friend of mine lives in NC and got those blowouts FAITHFULLY. Her hair is completely natural, and last I heard she had to cut it all off because of all the damage. No thanks. I'll pass.
KinkyKurls4Krystal
KinkyKurls4Krystal

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 10th February 2010, 10:58 pm

I had a dominican blow out and it was absolutely horrible. The dryer got so hot that I woke up the next morning with burns on my forehead and ears!
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 10th February 2010, 11:04 pm

TerraD wrote:I had a dominican blow out and it was absolutely horrible. The dryer got so hot that I woke up the next morning with burns on my forehead and ears!

OMG that is terrible!
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by d.denise 11th February 2010, 12:18 am

I used to get domincan blowouts all the time while I was in d.c. I do remember the blow dryer being hot as hades but I sat under the dryer with a rollerset and she ended up just blowing out my roots...it was probably one of the easiest ways for me to grow my relaxer out. and I don't remember my hair being super dry after either...it was actually pretty silky shiny but it was definitely bone straight at the roots... and yeah if you're curl conscious I wouldn't suggest it. I used to go like once every other month or once every 6 weeks.
d.denise
d.denise

Back to top Go down

Post by d.denise 11th February 2010, 12:27 am

oh and she never used a flatiron like in the video...im sure some blowouts are better than others but that smoke + the flatiron + very little protection seems like death... but just like any other stylist they are there to serve you so you can dictate how much and what kind of heat they use to do your hair...unless theres the language barrier lol...then i hope you're up for a good game of charades. but if they cant give you great results the way you want them definitely find a new stylist or check that stylists credentials because if they are a one track stylist and can only do hair one way they shouldn't really call themselves a 'stylist' in my opinion
d.denise
d.denise

Back to top Go down

Post by PyreFli42 11th February 2010, 1:01 am

So, this is a somewhat random question, but what was that that she put on the woman's head before the rollers? Was it some sort of conditioner, or a setting lotion? I was on the phone with my sister describing the whole thing to her while I watched it, and we were speculating on what that stuff was.
PyreFli42
PyreFli42

http://public.fotki.com/pyrefli42/

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 11th February 2010, 1:16 am

I LOVE Domican blowouts. Yeah, the heat is ridiculous, but basically at the Domican salon I went too, they: washed and conditioned my hair. Then deep conditioned for about half an hour and did a roller set. Then they used a round brush and blow dryer (2800 watts, if I remember correctly) and yeah. My hair always looked (and felt [i.e. wasn't dry]) nice, plus, they're are really cheap around here. Haven't gotten one in a year or two though. Picture of me before eighth grade prom (at the end of the night, my hair was looking a HAM though hahaha. I sweat it out to the max)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Karyn on 11th February 2010, 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 11th February 2010, 1:27 am

I got Dominican blowout once and will never do it again. They washed and conditioned it and then put it on rollers and sat me under the dryer. After the rollers they went through with the blowdryer and the brush and it felt like they were pulling all my hair out. I just knew I'd be bald by the time they were done. After the blow drying they flat-ironed it and then I was done. It looked good, but it was dry as a mug and my head was so sore it was ridiculous.
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by My fro loves me 11th February 2010, 1:58 am

I used to do blowouts at the Dominican salon all the time while I was transitioning before I finally came to my senses and did the BC (which btw they refused to do for me. I'd been going there for years and when I walked in there that day and said that I wanted it all off I swear they looked at me like I had 3 heads and flat out said no. I had to find some random woman at a Hair Cuttery to do it and I ended up leaving there with an asymmetrical flat-top - I swear! Talk about a traumatizing BC experience). Anyhoo that smoke and smell are no joke. My hubby used to wait for me in the car because he would gag everytime he walked in there.
My fro loves me
My fro loves me

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 11th February 2010, 2:10 am

PyreFli42 wrote:So, this is a somewhat random question, but what was that that she put on the woman's head before the rollers? Was it some sort of conditioner, or a setting lotion? I was on the phone with my sister describing the whole thing to her while I watched it, and we were speculating on what that stuff was.

I was wondering the same thing. Im like whatever it is, it cant be heat protectant because at those temps it would be useless. LoL, my best guess would be some kind of thick creamy leave in.
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by PanaR3dd 11th February 2010, 5:58 am

i've had the dominican blowout 4 times..but only once while natural and the chicks that did my hair here in VA were horrible..SN: i usually get it done in NY..your hair is so silky afterwards but the heat is no joke..90% of my hair reverted back but the front was another story...i think it depends on who is doing your hair because not everybody cares about hair care..but my friend lives by the dominican blowout and her hair always reverts back and is pretty healthy..go figure lol
PanaR3dd
PanaR3dd

Back to top Go down

Post by specialk 11th February 2010, 1:06 pm

I've always wanted a blowout but was afraid of the damage and was not sure my hair would revert. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
specialk
specialk

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 11th February 2010, 1:41 pm

OMG!!! That smoke was scary!! It was pretty when she finished but NO!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I dont think I would have let someone do that to my hair when I was relaxed.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly Film Chick 11th February 2010, 2:14 pm

I'm deathly afraid of that heat damage...I've spent all this time getting rid of it, I'm not about to do that to my hair again.
Curly Film Chick
Curly Film Chick

http://www.quirkycurlyfilmchick.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by new-naturalle 11th February 2010, 4:47 pm

I think they are better for people with relaxed hair, I would get them frequently but I had a stylist who I loved and she didn't hurt my head while blowing it out. Many of my family members in NY get them done, including my sis and they hair isn't damaged, it depends on who does it. I loved how my hair was when it was finished and it wasn't dry. My hubby has gotten them 2x in NYC and his hair is natural, it came out straighter than I get at home but wouldn't have been straight enough for me. I don't think natural women should do it because you would definitely still need to flat iron it and if you aren't in a city that their are a lot of dominican salons then they seem to be more pricey toward natural hair because its a lot more work.
new-naturalle
new-naturalle

Back to top Go down

Post by curly+kinky+fierce 11th February 2010, 6:02 pm

oooo weeee i havent seen the vid but i know from experience. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] i was transitioning and was 7 months in...they washed my hair and put some stuff on it...set me on big rollers under the dryer and took that hot azz blowdryer and went to work.. (and yes smoke was coming out)..i swear to u i was at tears..it hurt sooooooo bad and i told her to stop a few times..

The next day my hair was curly at the root and the rest straight. a complete waist of time and unwanted pain.

never again !
curly+kinky+fierce
curly+kinky+fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by poeticlyspkng 11th February 2010, 6:48 pm

I would never do that to my hair. I would be too scared. It did come out very straight but that seems an awful lot of torture for a temporary hair style. I can only imagine how you would have to sleep and take care not to ruin it!
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Post by MsJay1121 11th February 2010, 7:16 pm

I've always loved the result, but the amount of heat damage I received flat ironing my hair two years straight was the damage I'd get after ONE blowout.... so, they're not for me at ALL!!!!
MsJay1121
MsJay1121

Back to top Go down

Post by raina 12th February 2010, 12:25 am

I had my hair blown out at a dominican salon this past summer while in New York. I wont do it again the heat was unbearable! Its the only time i wished for short hair lol! It was hard for me to watch the video and i wanted to stop watching but i wanted to see what her hair looked like when she was done.wow thats alot of heat!
raina
raina

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next