CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MY TRANSITIONING PROCESS

+3
nikkinixnicole
Ameenah
mrsmackey
7 posters

Go down

MY TRANSITIONING PROCESS Empty MY TRANSITIONING PROCESS

Post by mrsmackey 8th February 2010, 1:42 pm

Hey curlies!

I've decided to track my progress here on the transitioning thread since the BNB challenge is more for the ladies who are already natural...

I started transitioning in December of '09, so it's only been a little over a month. I'm wearing micros as of now and so far so good...scalp is a little dry but i'm going to co wash tonight and see if that helps me:)

Here's my "hair story"..

I've been relaxed since 6 years of age. NEVER had a problem with relaxers until about a year ago. My daughter's are 8 and 9 and they have different hair types. My youngest daughter has thicker, more coily hair but THICK! My oldest daughter has the more wavy loose curls, who my in-laws deemed, "the better hair"...For years, I was dealing with my youngest daughter's self esteem and finally i told her, "Trenitee, it doesn't matter what your father's family thinks of your hair. You're a pretty little girl with so much knowledge and that's what we're going to fight with, ok?" She replied to me, "Well Mommy, I want my hair to be straight and long like yours.." AT THAT POINT, THE LIGHTBULB WENT OFF! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I helped to make this society's standard of beauty a constant in my house and I stopped THAT day!

I started my daughter's transitions in March of '09 and the more their hair grows, the more in love I become with natural hair and ALL it's glory! I decided to start my own transition in late December because I was just DONE with scalp burns and all those shananigans... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

So, as I stated earlier, I will track my progress here and I will update you ladies with pics and all of that once I take my braids down. I plan to take them down every 2 months. This process has ALWAYS helped my hair to grow so let's hope it still holds true!!

HAPPY TRANSITIONING LADIES!!

~deedee~
mrsmackey
mrsmackey

Back to top Go down

MY TRANSITIONING PROCESS Empty Re: MY TRANSITIONING PROCESS

Post by Ameenah 8th February 2010, 2:28 pm

I look forwar to seeing your progress as and inspiration and motivation to keep going.
Ameenah
Ameenah

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkinixnicole 8th February 2010, 2:30 pm

It makes me SOOOOO HAPPY to hear that you're instilling confidence in your daughter. Unfortunately, I did not have this type of support from family/friends when I was going natural, which made the journey 10x harder (on top of that, I was only 17!). Some very hurtful things were said by individuals close to me (sadly, their comments still haunt me once in a while). I'm so glad I didn't let negative people deter me, it certainly takes alot of strength to rise up. I will never go back to another relaxer ever again. This transition is so much more than getting rid of your relaxer. It's about testing your inner strength, building your confidence, and ultimately making decisions based on what YOU want (not what society wants).

I'd love to be updated on your progress

I wish you the best of luck on your journey! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
nikkinixnicole
nikkinixnicole

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsmackey 9th February 2010, 11:45 am

thanks ameenah! I'm glad I'm able to inspire others the way I'm inspired by this site....@nikkinix, thank you so much hun! I'm glad to be on this journey and I'm excited about what my hair will show me as we get to know each other....all over again!!!!
mrsmackey
mrsmackey

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsmackey 13th February 2010, 11:24 am

OK ladies, so I took my micros down on wednesday morning and I have NO CLUE what to do with my hair!!! Because it's short, i can't rock a pony or anything like that...I guess I have to dig down for some creativity!!!!! ughhhhhhhhhhhh..SO FRUST! BTW, I have about 2 inches of new growth!!! yayyyyyyyyy me!
mrsmackey
mrsmackey

Back to top Go down

Post by Ameenah 13th February 2010, 12:24 pm

2 inches ooook [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ! take this weekend and and try out some things like a twist out I really love those. I twist and curl, or just didfferent things, I have been transitioning now for a year I learned to just try try try new thing. twist, braids, rods they workout good.
Ameenah
Ameenah

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkinixnicole 13th February 2010, 9:45 pm

Try a wash-n-go with conditioner and/or gel [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .. you could even put some cornrows or a headband in the front to jazz it up
nikkinixnicole
nikkinixnicole

Back to top Go down

Post by Thinice 14th February 2010, 2:48 pm

Mrs. Mackey - as an alternative can you do a straw set?
Thinice
Thinice

Back to top Go down

Post by MsJay1121 14th February 2010, 3:27 pm

Hey Mrs.Mackey! You can definitely start a BnB thread!!!! There are many ladies in that forum who are still transitioning themselves--really good tips and transition styles there too!!!

LOVE your story, BTW!
MsJay1121
MsJay1121

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsmackey 15th February 2010, 10:38 am

thanks curliecutes!! I'll start one today..i have NO CLUE how to load pics or anything!! oh yeah, i cut the last 2 inches from my youngest daughter's head so she's completely natural now...and she LOVES it! the first thing she wanted to do was a twist out! she loves that hairstyle...we deep conditioned her hair and I twisted and sealed with olive oil and shea butter. i took pics of this process and I'll have pics of the results later on today!

Have a good day!
mrsmackey
mrsmackey

Back to top Go down

Post by Blex 4th March 2010, 1:34 am

We are in the same boat!! My last relaxer was end of Dec 09 and I am taking out some sew-ins tomorrow that I've had for 4 weeks now. I cant do much with my hair bc the sides and back are shorter than the top! Going to try bantu knots and hopefully get good results!
Blex
Blex

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsmackey 9th March 2010, 1:48 pm

OK ladies..i PROMISE that TODAY when I do my co wash and roller set, i will take pics and load them so we can chart the process...BLEX, it's almost been 3 months for us Ma!!! how you feelin'?? @thinice, i have NO CLUE how to straw set..LOL...
mrsmackey
mrsmackey

Back to top Go down

Post by Karameldiva1978 14th March 2010, 2:21 pm

I can't wait to see your pics Mrs Mackey. I'm transitioning with this pixie cut as well, and am transitioning with my 7 year old who has been rockin' cornrows. She hates the whole relaxer process, so she is estatic about shampoos and rollersets or braids.

However, with about an inch of new growth since January, I'm been slicking down the sides and back and using flexi rods keeping the longer top and sides curly. I recently learned how to two strand twist my dd's hair, but I don't have nearly the length. I hope to be able to have mine braided by about May.

Please post any styles you come up with and I'm going to try and post my flexi rod set.
Karameldiva1978
Karameldiva1978

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down