CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'M STARTING MY PROCESS OF BECOMING A NATURAL DIVA

+9
3rdTimeAround
Music8192
sunbaby
herlucidsKy
TheRYL1
MrsLambsWool
LearninToLove
NylaCoils
mrsmackey
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I'M STARTING MY PROCESS OF BECOMING A NATURAL DIVA Empty I'M STARTING MY PROCESS OF BECOMING A NATURAL DIVA

Post by mrsmackey 26th December 2009, 9:28 pm

Ok curlies! I've made a decision! I will start the transitioning process TODAY towards being happily natural. I've stalked Curlynikki's site for the longest time and both of my daughters are 9 months into their transition so WHY NOT ME??! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My husband is very supportive of it, even though he's never told me before that being natural was something he liked, I'n thinking because he loves me so much that as long as I'm happy, he thinks it's sexy... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

So, my question is, do you think wearing micro braids would be good to transition with? I must say that I wore micros for 5 STRAIGHT YEARS and NEVER lost my edges, and didn't have any major hair loss when removing them. I've been relaxing for 20 years (since I was 7) and I just think it's time. I plan to transition for about a year or longer, just depends on how I feel. I'm going to upload a pic of myself tonight so you ladies can help me along in my journey.

Thanks to ALL of the curlies on here who provide support, I feel like I'm connected to you guys already!!!

HERE WE GO!!!!!!

Last relaxer: Dec. 22, 2009
anticipated BC date: Dec '10 or May '11
mrsmackey
mrsmackey

Back to top Go down

I'M STARTING MY PROCESS OF BECOMING A NATURAL DIVA Empty Re: I'M STARTING MY PROCESS OF BECOMING A NATURAL DIVA

Post by NylaCoils 26th December 2009, 9:45 pm

This is my third time being a natural, I used micros for 6-8 months. I say go for it!
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

I'M STARTING MY PROCESS OF BECOMING A NATURAL DIVA Empty Re: I'M STARTING MY PROCESS OF BECOMING A NATURAL DIVA

Post by mrsmackey 26th December 2009, 10:31 pm

COOL! i just called my mom and told her that I was saying "buh bye" to relaxers and she said, "ok good...your hair was just too hard to manage before and we didn't have the products you ladies have now so go for it!" It's great to have that support from the family..I'M TOTALLY EXCITED! I hope I don't get too excited and BC in like March or something!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
mrsmackey
mrsmackey

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 26th December 2009, 11:58 pm

Good Luck ! Keep us posted! This last time I went natural I did my BC- 3 mos after stopping a relaxer! Nov made my first year natural.
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by LearninToLove 28th December 2009, 2:07 am

Congratulations on your decision! It does feel good to have support in the beginning. I'm 8 months into my transition and I'm still going to keep it up until the relaxer is all gone. If you can wear braids for that long then go for it! It'll make your transition and grow out easier to deal with since you won't have to be messing around with your hair all the time.
LearninToLove
LearninToLove

http://www.my-natural-motherhood-journey.com/work-at-home-mom-to

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsmackey 28th December 2009, 2:28 pm

thanks LTL (can i call u that?! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ) I'm excited about this journey girl! My sister came over last nite, she's 100% natural and she let me do her hair...i did a curly twist out and it was super cute. I told her, "for the first time, I'm jealous of your hair..." She's only 16 so you KNOW she was eating it up that her older sister was jealous of her!!!

I'll probably get my braids in 2 weeks and then keep them done every 2-3 months...i'm looking forward to when i can just WASH N GO!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
mrsmackey
mrsmackey

Back to top Go down

Post by LearninToLove 28th December 2009, 4:01 pm

Yes, you can call me that. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] That's great that you're getting experience with doing your sisters hair. Hopefully that will change over to you having confidence and knowing how to do your own hair when it's time.
LearninToLove
LearninToLove

http://www.my-natural-motherhood-journey.com/work-at-home-mom-to

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsmackey 28th December 2009, 5:21 pm

Sooooo..my question is, do you think it will be easier to transition for me since I already have short hair??
mrsmackey
mrsmackey

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsLambsWool 28th December 2009, 8:34 pm

mrsmackey, 1st congrats on your decision to join us! Like you, I too have short hair and I think it makes the transition a little more cumbersome than those with longer hair. I've been pretty much wearing wigs so my hair could grow out enough to braid and I have an appointment tomorrow for some micros that I am planning to leave in for 3 months (I have to get my $200, worth)! I've been doing some protein treatments to strengthen my hair in hopes of not having any breakage. I do however, plan on telling the stylist NOT to braid my edges tight. Congrats again!
MrsLambsWool
MrsLambsWool

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRYL1 28th December 2009, 9:03 pm

Congrats on your decision, MrsMackey! I'm transitioning and determined to be totally natural! The ladies on this site are very motivational, aren't they?! I'm here everyday . . . just to say . . . yes, I'm on the right path! Glad to have ya! ;-)
TheRYL1
TheRYL1

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsmackey 30th December 2009, 5:37 pm

The ladies on this site are SOOOOOOO motivational and one of my besties from Cali is here visiting (in Texas) and when i told her I was going natural, she CRIED...like, literally crying..LOL...she's happy because she's been natural for about 5 years..I'M TOO EXCITED! i hope I don't BC early...but I can feel the scissors saying "3 inches of new growth and that's it"....HELP ME CURLIES! My parents would KILL me if I came waltzing in the house with NO HAIR! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] <<<<<THIS WOULD BE MAMA'S FACE...LOL
mrsmackey
mrsmackey

Back to top Go down

Post by herlucidsKy 1st January 2010, 11:33 am

hey mrsmackey, you sound soo very excited...i can feel it through the screen lol. I'm not sure if it would be easier or not while transitioning with short hair, it sounds like it would but i guess it all depends on your natural hair texture, but either way just make sure your use super slippery moisturizing products and be very gentle with your hair and i'm sure it will be a breeze! I think that you should BC when you know you are ready. do what makes you happy and what makes your hair strive.
herlucidsKy
herlucidsKy

http://members.fotki.com/galacticdust/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsmackey 2nd January 2010, 11:41 am

Thanks sKy, My husband has made me promise that I won't BC until after a year, at least...so I'll be rocking braids until then...

Last edited by mrsmackey on 2nd January 2010, 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : misspelled word)
mrsmackey
mrsmackey

Back to top Go down

Post by sunbaby 12th January 2010, 7:32 pm

hi mrsmackey,

My sister wore braids for 9 months to transition. I have worn my hair short for the last 10 years so I am transitioning short and it can be frustrating at times. Thanks goodness for CurlyNikki, Afrobella and others. Whenenver I'm having a weak moment, I come to CurlyNikki.com and start reading the transition stories -- straightens me out everytime. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
sunbaby
sunbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by Music8192 12th January 2010, 11:50 pm

woop woop.. congrats! woot! I've been transitioning for 4 months now and im so excited. I become so obsessed with my new growth and I'm already getting impatient. lol I'm ready to just chop of the perm all together but.. I'll see if I can wait a little while longer... but best of luck to you on your journey Smile
Music8192
Music8192

Back to top Go down

Post by 3rdTimeAround 14th January 2010, 3:59 pm

I had very short hair the last time I transitioned. I did lots of wash-n-gos but then my ends wouldn't curl so I got that cut out. Then I had no clue what to do with my hair and within 2 months I was relaxing again. But that was 8 years ago. There is a lot more help out there now.

Currently I'm about 3 months in and all is good. I had/have an asymetrical bob and wearing the transition styles these like the other ladies is not really possible for me. I can get by with air drying my hair under a silk scarf then flat ironing once a week. I wrap it to keep it from getting too puffy. So like you I'll probably rock some braids this summer because my wraps are just not going to hold up to the heat and humidity.

I think if I don't go with braids I'll have to cut it off much sooner than later.
3rdTimeAround
3rdTimeAround

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsmackey 14th January 2010, 4:07 pm

Hi ladies!!!! I have my braids now...been had 'em up for about a week and a half and OMG..why do i have so much new growth??? my hair grows so fast to me so this may happen quicker than i had originally planned. Bad news is my boss HATES my braids!!! he actually told me, "if you're growing it out, just rock the Sinead O'Connor!!!" i was like WHAT???!!!! I CAN'T CUT ALL OF MY HAIR OFF!!! now, i'm contemplating could i pull it off....hmmmm..????
mrsmackey
mrsmackey

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 16th January 2010, 5:29 pm

With your bone structure, I can definitely see you pulling off a Sinead O'Connor.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsmackey 16th January 2010, 7:03 pm

JANIQUE...NO MAAM!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ...I WOULD BE TERRIFIED!!!!!!!! but seriously, i'm wondering could i really do a MTWA (micro teeny weeny afro)...it would save me money, and time...girl, i'm REALLY thinking about this!!!!!!
mrsmackey
mrsmackey

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRYL1 16th January 2010, 7:30 pm

Mrs Mackey . . . I think you'd look good with MTWA. But, DO YOU...that's all you can do!

I've been considering just cutting mine off, too. Just tired of the straight ends. My problem: I have a short patch and I'd have to cut it to match that spot. Now, THAT has me on pause! LOL But it's growning since I've been taking better care of my hair . . . so if I can make it until about May . . . I'll be good.

Remember: You are not alone! ;-)
TheRYL1
TheRYL1

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsmackey 16th January 2010, 8:41 pm

RYL, i understand where u at lady!!! i don't have short patches but my head is itching like KRAZZZZZZZZY!!!!!! I'M READY TO CHOP IT OFF!
mrsmackey
mrsmackey

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 16th January 2010, 9:29 pm

I can see why you would be terrified because I would be too! I'm currently transitioning and have been doing so since August 2008. I'm not ready just yet to get rid of the relaxed ends, but I am super excited to see what my natural hair will look like. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsmackey 16th January 2010, 10:03 pm

JANIQUE!!!!! YOU'VE BEEN TRANSITIONING ALMOST TWO YEARS??? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] girl, let that go!!!!! LOL...just as soon as i have enuff length to pile up on my head, it's coming OFF!!!!!!!!
mrsmackey
mrsmackey

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 16th January 2010, 11:04 pm

LOL...yup..almost 2 years..but its been a long process...learning how to treat my hair and take care of it...I have a good system of taking care of my hair now so it's not too bad....I'm afraid to let it go yet. It's a matter of I've been trying years to figure out how to get my hair to grow longer. Now that it's longer, I'm afraid to cut off all of my progress. For the time being, I can be patient. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsmackey 18th January 2010, 12:29 pm

KUDOS TO YOU FOR THIS EXTRA LONG TRANSITION!!!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I just dont think I can do it but I'm happy for you chica...have you been doing mini chops?
mrsmackey
mrsmackey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next