CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trimming your TWA

2 posters

Go down

Trimming your TWA Empty Trimming your TWA

Post by NigerianKinks 7th February 2010, 12:00 am

So I BC'd in October 2009 and decided it was time for a trim. I wanted to go to Khamit Kinks in NYC to make sure it was done right but wasn't impressed with the idea of $45 plus tax and tip. I had under 3 inches so alot of people suggested going to a barbers. I went to a place today that my friend suggested in Park Slope and I can't help but think they took way too much off. It's just a bit longer than my initial BC.

Couple of issues I'm concerned with, he used electric clippers and not scissors, he tried to pick my fro out and then gave up (I had a wash and go) and he cut it dry. Does that sound right?

I guess what I'm asking is how should you get a trim on a TWA? And how often? Barbers or stylist?

I'm a bit sad because I had got into a great routine with my natural products and recently henna'd with indigo and I feel like I'm back to square one after I had so much of my hair sheared away......

NigerianKinks

Back to top Go down

Trimming your TWA Empty Re: Trimming your TWA

Post by NaturallyLovely 8th February 2010, 3:59 am

NigerianKinks wrote:So I BC'd in October 2009 and decided it was time for a trim. I wanted to go to Khamit Kinks in NYC to make sure it was done right but wasn't impressed with the idea of $45 plus tax and tip. I had under 3 inches so alot of people suggested going to a barbers. I went to a place today that my friend suggested in Park Slope and I can't help but think they took way too much off. It's just a bit longer than my initial BC.

Couple of issues I'm concerned with, he used electric clippers and not scissors, he tried to pick my fro out and then gave up (I had a wash and go) and he cut it dry. Does that sound right?

I guess what I'm asking is how should you get a trim on a TWA? And how often? Barbers or stylist?

I'm a bit sad because I had got into a great routine with my natural products and recently henna'd with indigo and I feel like I'm back to square one after I had so much of my hair sheared away......

Hi NigerianKinks,

You can trim your own ends here is how I do it.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLMzb0d-tt0

If you do not feel comfortable trimming your own ends seek the assistance of someone you trust to clip your ends for you (mother, sister, friend....etc) or locate a natural hair salon in your area to trim your ends for you. Do not let a barber trim your ends. Most are not trained in caring for natural hair (that is a class one must take on their own-continuing education). We learn from our mistake on this natural hair journey. Just count it as a learned lesson. You just have to rock the TWA a little longer that all. Rock on sis.

God bless, Lovely

Last edited by NaturallyLovely on 8th February 2010, 4:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correction)
NaturallyLovely
NaturallyLovely

https://www.youtube.com/LovelyTrueRed

Back to top Go down

Post by NigerianKinks 8th February 2010, 2:30 pm

You're so right. Lesson learned. Need to move on....

Thanks for the video clip. I'm definitely going to try and learn to do it myself. One of the main things I'm getting from my natural hair journey is how self sufficient I can be in terms of caring for my own hair. I HATE going to the hairdresser...and now the barber too!

I henna'd and indigo'd my hair myself and it turned out great! Something initially I never thought I could do myself. So I guess trimming my own hair is the next step.

Funny that my first mis step is when I did something that did feel unnatural. As soon as I sat in that barber chair I knew something wasn't right. I was toying with the idea of trimming my own hair previously but stupidly didn't have enough faith in myself.

From now its me, myself, and I (and all you lovely curly big sisters)!

NigerianKinks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down