CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

non-drying shampoo.. HELP!

+7
cocoachanel
cutephantasm
marquila2007
Lynnieluve
tiashaunteé
Erica5417
nikkinixnicole
11 posters

Go down

non-drying shampoo.. HELP! Empty non-drying shampoo.. HELP!

Post by nikkinixnicole 1st February 2010, 8:17 pm

Hey Curlies!

I need your help [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Recently, I've been noticing that my hair is dryer than it has ever been [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and through the process of elimination, I blame my shampoo [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Any tips for choosing a non-drying shampoo? Any recommended brands or ingredients i should look for or avoid? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thanks alot [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
nikkinixnicole
nikkinixnicole

Back to top Go down

non-drying shampoo.. HELP! Empty Re: non-drying shampoo.. HELP!

Post by Erica5417 1st February 2010, 8:23 pm

You could stop using shampoo altogether. Many of us simply co-wash. You should definitely avoid sodium laurel sulfate and many of it's derivatives.
Erica5417
Erica5417

http://ericathurman.ennoir.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkinixnicole 1st February 2010, 8:32 pm

I thought about doing that but, there are times where I want that extra clean feeling that only shampoo can give me (that's all in my head ofcourse). Currently, I'm rocking a weave and when I get this tree outta my head [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] lol, I'd love to give my hair a good scrub with some shampoo.

Are there any shampoos out there that don't contain sodium laurel sulfate or any other harmful products?
nikkinixnicole
nikkinixnicole

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica5417 1st February 2010, 8:53 pm

Burt's Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit works really well if I need to remove product buildup.
Erica5417
Erica5417

http://ericathurman.ennoir.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 1st February 2010, 9:01 pm

You could try applying the shampoo directly to your scalp instead if you hair. That is how I prefer to shampoo
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkinixnicole 1st February 2010, 9:03 pm

Thanks [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
nikkinixnicole
nikkinixnicole

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 1st February 2010, 10:26 pm

Cutting down on the amount of times you shampoo can help too. Most curlies shampoo or clarify only once a month.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by marquila2007 2nd February 2010, 10:56 pm

giovinni shampoo are awsome

marquila2007

Back to top Go down

Post by cutephantasm 6th February 2010, 12:59 pm

Deity of Hair SHampoo for Hair Loss I LOVE! its non drying...

my back up choice is Nexxus Therappe shampoo (I apply always only to my scalp and a modest amount)

Those are the only 2 shampoos that I have tried so far that are non drying...I do cowash often, but I shampoo my scalp 1-2x a month
cutephantasm
cutephantasm

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkinixnicole 6th February 2010, 1:09 pm

I'm definately going to give this cowashing thing a try. Shampoos are definately too drying. I'm also focusing on ingredients BIG TIME from now on!

This advice really helps curlies [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
nikkinixnicole
nikkinixnicole

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkinixnicole 6th February 2010, 1:11 pm

marquila2007 wrote:giovinni shampoo are awsome

Alot of people have been saying good things about thiese hair products. I just need to finish 2 previous hair product lines I bought [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . My product junkyism is at an all time high [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] lol
nikkinixnicole
nikkinixnicole

Back to top Go down

Post by cocoachanel 7th February 2010, 1:07 am

I'm trying to get out of using sulfate shampoos and I just bought Giovanni Smooth as Silk sulfate shampoo.

It's sulfate free, organic and vegan.

When I added it to my hair I did not get that stripping feeling that you get using sulfate shampoos at all and I felt safe to apply to all of my hair instead of just my scalp. When I washed it out my hair definitely felt clean with out feeling stripped of moisture.
cocoachanel
cocoachanel

http://perfectiongranted.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkinixnicole 7th February 2010, 3:04 pm

vintagenarcissa wrote:I'm trying to get out of using sulfate shampoos and I just bought Giovanni Smooth as Silk sulfate shampoo.

When I added it to my hair I did not get that stripping feeling that you get using sulfate shampoos at all and I felt safe to apply to all of my hair instead of just my scalp. When I washed it out my hair definitely felt clean with out feeling stripped of moisture.

Another good comment on this shampoo line! I need to give these Giovanni products a try! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
nikkinixnicole
nikkinixnicole

Back to top Go down

Post by cocoachanel 7th February 2010, 6:37 pm

nikkinixnicole wrote:
vintagenarcissa wrote:I'm trying to get out of using sulfate shampoos and I just bought Giovanni Smooth as Silk sulfate shampoo.

Another good comment on this shampoo line! I need to give these Giovanni products a try! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It took me a while to buy the shampoo too but I'm glad I finally did. My hair really liked it.
And I noticed that the Giovanni products are .5 oz bigger than the products are usually for roughly the same price or less (depending on where I buy them). I'm probably going to buy the conditioner this week to use at my next wash.
cocoachanel
cocoachanel

http://perfectiongranted.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 7th February 2010, 6:54 pm

I wash and condition weekly because co-washing does nothing for my crazy scalp. I use good ol' Creme of Nature (the OLD formula) and suggest that if you can find it, use it (before dropping $$$$$ on those other brands). It is a very moisturizing shampoo and I have always used it (been natural all my life). If it gets to a point where I can no longer find it in the stores, I'll look to other brands, but for now, Creme of Nature is my go-to shampoo!
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by Tmochava 8th February 2010, 1:05 pm

BajanPrincess82 wrote:I wash and condition weekly because co-washing does nothing for my crazy scalp. I use good ol' Creme of Nature (the OLD formula) and suggest that if you can find it, use it (before dropping $$$$$ on those other brands). It is a very moisturizing shampoo and I have always used it (been natural all my life). If it gets to a point where I can no longer find it in the stores, I'll look to other brands, but for now, Creme of Nature is my go-to shampoo!

I thought I was the only one that didn't co-wash. Co-washing does nothing for my scalp as well except make my scalp itch. I just recently made a purchase with Chagrin Valley Soaps for their shampoo bars. Hopefully I like them. I've seen great reviews.
Tmochava
Tmochava

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkinixnicole 8th February 2010, 2:14 pm

BajanPrincess82 wrote:I wash and condition weekly because co-washing does nothing for my crazy scalp. I use good ol' Creme of Nature (the OLD formula) and suggest that if you can find it, use it (before dropping $$$$$ on those other brands). It is a very moisturizing shampoo and I have always used it (been natural all my life). If it gets to a point where I can no longer find it in the stores, I'll look to other brands, but for now, Creme of Nature is my go-to shampoo!

I find Creme of Nature shampoos extremely drying for some reason. I also dont like some of the ingredients in it (ie: sodium lauryl sulfate, which is essentially a cleanser that is extremely drying).
nikkinixnicole
nikkinixnicole

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 8th February 2010, 5:42 pm

The old formula doesn't have SLS in it. Along with the new logo/bottles they gave it a new formula. I haven't tried the new one and I won't because of the SLS...I stick with the old school.
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 8th February 2010, 6:20 pm

OMG, I looooved the old formula of Creme of Nature. I cant find it anywhere though. The new stuff sucks, strips my hair like no other.
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 8th February 2010, 6:21 pm

I've found it in one of my local beauty supply stores. I really should buy out their whole supply b/c it is hard to find!
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkrage 8th February 2010, 7:15 pm

I like to shampoo too. I only put it on my scalp. The most moisturizing shampoo I have is KBB. It feels like conditioner. If you want something local and less expensive I would try Giovanni or Trader Joes Nourish Spa (3.99 [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ).
Pinkrage
Pinkrage

http://www.fotki.com/pinkrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down