CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Went to a Natural Salon and my stylist had straight hair!!!!

+12
adiaha
Pinkrage
MahoganyCurls
Curly Film Chick
naturallydestined
CurlsGalore
LadyMika
MaameYaa
CocaColaCutie
Lena_Jolie
BlondeByDesire
RoseNaturalBeauty
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Went to a Natural Salon and my stylist had straight hair!!!! Empty Went to a Natural Salon and my stylist had straight hair!!!!

Post by RoseNaturalBeauty 26th January 2010, 10:02 am

Good morning ladies!! I waited until the last minute try and shcedule and appointment with my stylist before I went to Atlanta 2 weeks ago and what do you know she was booked!! So I was scrambling to find someone else to do my hair, because I did not have the time to do it myself. So, I went to a "Natural Salon" in Temple Hills, MD and my mind was blown!!! When I got to the salon the stylist was not there, her assistant was there and she washed my hair with my products and tried to rub my hair dry...I had to ask her not too and then she said your stylist will be in a soon. So here I am sitting with wet hair waiting on her. She walks in and her hair is straight!!! I was like "uh" she introduced herself and I guess she saw the look on my face and she said she had her hair blown out by the Dominicans!!! The she touches my hair and asked me if I've ever had my hair blown out or pressed. and was shocked when I told her NO, she said my hair was too soft and then tried to blow dry my hair!!! I had to stop her and ask her to two-strand twist my hair wet please and she told me , "I don't do that!" and looked at me with an attitude....I wanted to get up out of the chair and walk out, but I was leaving the next day and really wanted my hair done! So she did my hair wet and sat me under the drier and then tried to talk to me about hair health and I am looking at her like "is she serious!!" but anyway my hair was not cute and I ended up re-doing my hair because my twists were too big and I had parts that showed!!! It took me 4 hours but my hair was cute after 4 hours of re-twisting!!!!
RoseNaturalBeauty
RoseNaturalBeauty

http://www.koilsbynature.com

Back to top Go down

Went to a Natural Salon and my stylist had straight hair!!!! Empty Re: Went to a Natural Salon and my stylist had straight hair!!!!

Post by BlondeByDesire 26th January 2010, 10:14 am

Pictures please ...
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Went to a Natural Salon and my stylist had straight hair!!!! Empty Re: Went to a Natural Salon and my stylist had straight hair!!!!

Post by RoseNaturalBeauty 26th January 2010, 10:24 am

Coming!!! I am looking for my cell phone!!
RoseNaturalBeauty
RoseNaturalBeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Lena_Jolie 26th January 2010, 10:33 am

Wow, sorry you had to go through that. I would be ready to go after them for false advertisement, like seriously. Is that salon new? She might be one of those 'I wanna get in on this natural hair salon thing even though I dunno what I'm doin' people; they will do it in a heartbeat
Lena_Jolie
Lena_Jolie

http://angel-jolie-chronicles.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CocaColaCutie 26th January 2010, 11:38 am

I can't believe she really said "I don't do that!" That's crazy!! I'm sorry you had to redo you hair, but at least now you know who not to go to.
CocaColaCutie
CocaColaCutie

Back to top Go down

Post by RoseNaturalBeauty 26th January 2010, 1:38 pm

The Back! My hair is too thin for these large parts!!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The side

The Front..no makeup and not happy!!

The re-twist...almost done!

The Front!! Finally Finihsed!!

Almost a week old!
RoseNaturalBeauty
RoseNaturalBeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by RoseNaturalBeauty 26th January 2010, 1:39 pm

CocaColaCutie wrote:I can't believe she really said "I don't do that!" That's crazy!! I'm sorry you had to redo you hair, but at least now you know who not to go to.

Thank you!! I told my stylist that I will NEVER go to anyone else!! Either she's going to do it or I will stop being lazy and do it myself!!
RoseNaturalBeauty
RoseNaturalBeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by RoseNaturalBeauty 26th January 2010, 1:40 pm

Lena_Jolie wrote:Wow, sorry you had to go through that. I would be ready to go after them for false advertisement, like seriously. Is that salon new? She might be one of those 'I wanna get in on this natural hair salon thing even though I dunno what I'm doin' people; they will do it in a heartbeat

Thanks Lena....I know I could not believe the nerve of this lady!! But I just know not to got her anymore!!!
RoseNaturalBeauty
RoseNaturalBeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by MaameYaa 26th January 2010, 1:57 pm

You definately did a better job. So cute Koils!
MaameYaa
MaameYaa

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 26th January 2010, 2:14 pm

Wow. You're better than me because I would've walked right the hell out! Talk about "bait and switch" advertising and bad customer service. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Stylists like THAT one are why I'll always do my own hair, more now that I'm natural.
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RoseNaturalBeauty 26th January 2010, 2:23 pm

LadyMika wrote:Wow. You're better than me because I would've walked right the hell out! Talk about "bait and switch" advertising and bad customer service. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Stylists like THAT one are why I'll always do my own hair, more now that I'm natural.

Thank you! I know and I LOVE my stylist and I told her I would never ever "Cheat" on her again [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
RoseNaturalBeauty
RoseNaturalBeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by RoseNaturalBeauty 26th January 2010, 2:24 pm

MaameYaa wrote:You definitely did a better job. So cute Koils!

Thank you MaameYaa!!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
RoseNaturalBeauty
RoseNaturalBeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Lena_Jolie 26th January 2010, 5:30 pm

MaameYaa wrote:You definately did a better job. So cute Koils!

Yes! you did a much better job Koils [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I would go back up there and flaunt it in her face and say "Take a real good look lady cuz this is how hair is supposed to look. I did it myself (thank ya very much) and I'm sorry I ever came to this sorry excuse for a natural hair salon" Well, in some variation of that lol point is, I would go up there and embarass her [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Lena_Jolie
Lena_Jolie

http://angel-jolie-chronicles.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 26th January 2010, 6:00 pm

You did an awesome job on your retwist, Koils! You know your hair best, therefore you'll do the best job on it. Sorry you wasted your day and your money on that stylist.
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallydestined 27th January 2010, 11:12 am

Yes, your twists were much better. Definitely, don't return to her shop.
naturallydestined
naturallydestined

http://members.fotki.com/NaturallyDestined/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by RoseNaturalBeauty 27th January 2010, 12:46 pm

naturallydestined wrote:Yes, your twists were much better. Definitely, don't return to her shop.

Believe me I wont!!! Thank you!
RoseNaturalBeauty
RoseNaturalBeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly Film Chick 27th January 2010, 1:05 pm

Wow that's crazy that happened. It's stuff like this why I'm afraid to even set foot in a salon. The only other person to style my hair natural besides myself is my friend who graduated from beauty school and knows how I feel about my natural hair. She's even transitioning now!
Curly Film Chick
Curly Film Chick

http://www.quirkycurlyfilmchick.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 27th January 2010, 1:12 pm

You sure did do a better job! That stylist was a trip! I can't believe she tried to talk to you about hair care...some people are too much!
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by RoseNaturalBeauty 27th January 2010, 1:16 pm

Thank you!!! Then she told me that getting her hair blown out by the Dominican is breaks the same chemical bonds as getting a perm.....and she suggested I get my hair blown out at least once!! I was looking at her like she had lost her mind!! Even if I believed her, why would she suggest that.....and she "was" natural and looked much better that way!
RoseNaturalBeauty
RoseNaturalBeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 27th January 2010, 1:43 pm

koilsbynature wrote:Thank you!!! Then she told me that getting her hair blown out by the Dominican is breaks the same chemical bonds as getting a perm.....and she suggested I get my hair blown out at least once!! I was looking at her like she had lost her mind!! Even if I believed her, why would she suggest that.....and she "was" natural and looked much better that way!

She is a mess! Getting her hair blown by the dominicans isnt breaking the same chemical bonds as getting a relaxer, it is breaking her curl pattern causing permanent heat damage!
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkrage 27th January 2010, 2:02 pm

Your hair does look much better after you re-twisted.

I don't think just because your hair is blow dryed out that you're not natural. It might not have looked like yours but it is still chemical free. Although my stylist wear her hair curly 95% I would hate for someone to assume she can't do natural hair just because they came to her on a day that she had it flat ironed it (5% chance).

I really think we sometimes need to get off of your high horse that you're not natural if your not curly/twisted/braided. Why can't we celebrate ALL natural sista's regardless of how there hair is styled?

Everyone's hair is different. I don't think every time I get my hair flat ironed that I am breaking the curl pattern and causing PERMANENT heat damage. If that was the case I would be bald and/or permanent straight hair because I had my hair pressed every other week the first year I went natural. You can't lump everyone into one bucket!
Pinkrage
Pinkrage

http://www.fotki.com/pinkrage

Back to top Go down

Post by RoseNaturalBeauty 27th January 2010, 2:37 pm

Pinkrage wrote:Your hair does look much better after you re-twisted.

I don't think just because your hair is blow dryed out that you're not natural. It might not have looked like yours but it is still chemical free. Although my stylist wear her hair curly 95% I would hate for someone to assume she can't do natural hair just because they came to her on a day that she had it flat ironed it (5% chance).

I really think we sometimes need to get off of your high horse that you're not natural if your not curly/twisted/braided. Why can't we celebrate ALL natural sista's regardless of how there hair is styled?

Everyone's hair is different. I don't think every time I get my hair flat ironed that I am breaking the curl pattern and causing PERMANENT heat damage. If that was the case I would be bald and/or permanent straight hair because I had my hair pressed every other week the first year I went natural. You can't lump everyone into one bucket!

Hey Lady!! I agree with you....100% if you're natural, if you want to wear your hair straight, curly, whatever....do whatever makes you happy!! But don't tell me you I should get my hair blown out, and she was talking about how terrible it is for your hair, but suggested that I do it!! And I went to her salon in 2008 and she did two row of gel twist for me and told me she could not finish my hair because it was colored and she felt my hair was damaged....and then she was wearing her natural curls, so I was like this chick is really hardcore and when I couldn't get in with my regular stylist I thought she would be perfect and if you check out her website, she does great work.....Then I go in there a year later and I didn't know who she was becuase her hair was blown-out and she told me she couldn't wear her hair curly again unless she cut all the straight ends off.

I would like for natural hair stylist to know about hair health and not just because they can do natural hair!! And I don't go around telling folks they should be natural and where their hair in a puff like me....I was addicted to the cream crack for a long time and it's not fair for me go around pushing my preference on folk and I just would like the same courtesy especially coming from a "Natural Hair Stylist"
RoseNaturalBeauty
RoseNaturalBeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 27th January 2010, 2:53 pm

-I agree, , I am not trying to step on anyone's toes, but on the contrary, I never implied that just because you straighten your hair you are not natural. It may not happen to everyone but some people do get some kind of heat damage from excessive (key word) heat. I have seen this with my own eyes.

(She said the stylist told her the domicans will blow her hair out and it breaks down chemical bonds like a relaxer...that basically means, the stylist (and i am talking about her hair) hair has been straighten so much that it basically can get that way with little to no effort...that is what I got from that statement...so with that said, yes, breaking down chemical bonds in hair is associated with some sort of heat damage, that is the same thing a relaxer does, it breaks down the chemical bonds in your hair, making it straight.)

I am not a natural that feels if you straighten your hair you are not considered natural or if you color (permanent dye) that you arent natural as well, I dont roll like that. I accept all naturals regardless of their hair style. But responding to the poster's thread, I was talking about the beautician that had a problem with the client not wanting her hair straighten or pressed, and on top of that had an attitude about her not wanting it done to her hair.

My best friend who is 100% natural flat iron her hair every week, and she just told me last week, she has to lay off because she is noticing her hair isnt curling like it usually does. So, it may not happen to every natural but some naturals do get heat damage.

I think the main reason the poster created this thread wasnt to bash her stylist or anyone that flat irons their hair... because itir was straight but mainly because the stylist wanted to put heat on her hair against her own will.

In the future I plan on wearing my natural hair straight too, maybe once or twice a year, but that is it. I applaud every woman that embraces her natural hair regardless, if it is loc'd (sp?), straight, dyed, curly, kinky, etc.

That isnt my style to put someone else down because of what they want to do their hair. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by MahoganyCurls on 27th January 2010, 5:31 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : null)
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by RoseNaturalBeauty 27th January 2010, 3:04 pm

PS.....did you see the pictures??? Girl...I payed $75 for that!
RoseNaturalBeauty
RoseNaturalBeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkrage 27th January 2010, 3:12 pm

@koilsbynature and mahogany-Thanks!

I definitely don't think the stylist should have been pushing her to straighten her hair. I thought KBN was initially taken back that the stylist hair was straight in a natural salon (the title of the topic).

I do agree that some people can lose their curl pattern when straightening all the time. It depends on how the hair is straightened and the person hair type.
Pinkrage
Pinkrage

http://www.fotki.com/pinkrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next