CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heyy-Transitioning since October

+5
Deva_87
Offandrunning
Miki
Hair2Me
Blackdoll83
9 posters

Go down

Heyy-Transitioning since October Empty Heyy-Transitioning since October

Post by Blackdoll83 25th January 2010, 9:21 pm

Heyyyy,
So i just joined Curlynikki today- after obsessing over this website practically everyday since the new year started- Looove this website- so inspiring and all of you ladies are gorgeous- love all the stories and support you all give to one another. I cant wait to have my transition story featured on this website when i am completely all natural.- trust me the story will be good!

Basically i am the only one in my circle of friends who is on this path from relaxed to natural. Its so exciting n a lil scary and I am doing it for me no doubt but its a little lonely sometimes when i wanna talk to someone about my issues/concerns that i'm facing with transitioning. Talked to some close friends about it and while they all seem to support me 100% none of them can relate to things im saying- neway glad i joined and hopefully i can chat n connect with some of u all :-)
Blackdoll83
Blackdoll83

Back to top Go down

Heyy-Transitioning since October Empty Re: Heyy-Transitioning since October

Post by Hair2Me 25th January 2010, 9:40 pm

Welcome Blackdoll83!

My journey started back in October as well :.) Have you picked a BC date yet? Maybe we can be transitioning buddies.
Hair2Me
Hair2Me

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackdoll83 25th January 2010, 10:04 pm

Thanks hair2me! I havent picked a bc date yet. I was thinking that i would just go to the salon n trim of like 2 inches every 2 months until there is no relaxed hair anymore- but not sure. Every day my hand is stuck in my hair messing with my new growth so who knows i just might bc spontaniously- im soo undecided n anxious
Blackdoll83
Blackdoll83

Back to top Go down

Post by Miki 25th January 2010, 10:17 pm

Welcome! I started my transition in October too! I definitely know how you feel about being the only one of your friends on a "hair journey" as I love to call it. Theyre supportive but its nice to have somewhere where there are other people going through the same things and are as OBSESSED with healthy natural hair as the ladies here at CN.

Last night I had a dream that I BC'ed on July 4 (Independence day..how corny i know lol) but I think it meant something so i might try for that!

I hope you get as much from this site as I have..and good luck with your transition, your hair is cute in your profile pic!
Miki
Miki

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackdoll83 25th January 2010, 10:25 pm

thanx for the welcome miki- bcing on july 4th is actually not corny at all- i actually love that independence day idea!!

Yea i am getting soo much from this site as a matter of fact after visiting this site in paticular is when i decided i was going to go natural for sure! Thanks for the compliment on my hair- this is my fave style to wear now- with different hair accessories
Blackdoll83
Blackdoll83

Back to top Go down

Post by Offandrunning 26th January 2010, 12:55 am

Hey....im a October transitioner as well...i am trying to transition for a year to 1.5 year....I totally understand the not having anyone to transition with, my sister is natural but she has locks so its kinda different, i have no desire to have locks, my friends havent been non supportive but they dont relate, so im on this board seems like 24/7 trying to get ideas, support and just love reading about peoples journey....

at first i said i was going to b/c in july for my birthday, but i really want more length....plus my hair grows really slow...I have never been hung up on the lenght of my hair, its been short most of my adult life, but i dont want a twa...its so weird.

the back of my hair is all natural cause i had a short tapered cut prior to deciding to going natural so i got the major weird look going...back all natural top 2in new growth and perm...lol...so far all ive tried my hand at was twist out...

the other day i went to a party and got the pics my hair looked a hella mess...i thought it was okay when i left home...but in pics it was another idea, i almost ran out and got a perm when i saw them pics, i really must up my styling game, something i am not good at...im a previous beauty parlor babe, every week for a long time then every two weeks....

i had the craziest dream last night, it was about curlformers...i watched some youtube vids before i went to bed last nite on putting in curlformers and i swear i dreamed about them all night..lol i dont think my hair is long enough to do curlformers nor do i have the manual dexterity to put them suckers in, it looks very complicated , so next week im going to try a rollerset

Good luck my October buddies, lets keep in touch!!!!!!!!!

Offandrunning

http://[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Back to top Go down

Post by Deva_87 26th January 2010, 1:51 am

you are not the only one. right now I'm going to school where there aren't many woman of color, so I have no one to relate too. I really feel alone in this. I plan on BCing and although I am doing this for me. You still dont want to hear people ask "WTF did you do to your hair?"
Deva_87
Deva_87

http://members.fotki.com/Deva87/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by Hair2Me 26th January 2010, 4:51 am

Offandrunning, the roller set has been my staple hairstyle while transitioning. It looks good when its first done but it doesn't last me more than one day, it starts to tangle overnight so today I went and had my hair cornrowed...it was either that or an impromptu BC which I promised hubby I wouldnt do.
Hair2Me
Hair2Me

Back to top Go down

Post by tressedforsuccess 26th January 2010, 5:37 am

Offandrunning: if curlformers seem too difficult (they look waaaaayyy too complex to me), why don't you try flexirod? I'm never able to get my roots straight with roller sets, but flexirods are pretty simple once you get the hang of it. I got my last flexirod set to last 5 days in rainy, humid weather.

But, if you're good with rollers, mahagony curls has a tutorial up here: http://www.curlynikki.com/2009/12/spiral-set-for-natural-hair.html and she also answers questions in the CurlFriends section of this forum.
tressedforsuccess
tressedforsuccess

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackdoll83 26th January 2010, 10:45 am

@offand running, the beauty of it being january now is that is cold- not sure where u are located but there are so many cute hats out there now- to keep u warm n hair in place. I like to wear those big floppy knit hats sometimes and have the front of my hair showing like this side curlly bang...that is funny that u had the dream about the curlformers- i was thinking about giving those a go but it does look a little complicated.
I agree with tressedforsuccess in terms of the flexirods- those are saving my life right now- that actually what i used in my hair for my default pic- the royal blue ones i use... they are really easy to use and they come in different sizes and not to mention pretty comfortable for rollers. If your hair is like the lenth of rihanna i gotta say she had she had some cute hairstyles when she was wearing it curlly i guess about a year ago- i actually lovvved when she wore it like that short with curls all over...
@deva thanx for respnding - exactly u dont want to hear people asking those silly questions like "wtf did u do to your hair" but i guess a response to those would be "key word-MY hair- so y are u so concerned about what I'M doing with MYSELF" i dunno- is that saying a lil to much?lol [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Blackdoll83
Blackdoll83

Back to top Go down

Post by Offandrunning 26th January 2010, 1:56 pm

good morning october transistioners....(was going to shorten transistioners but nothing sounded quite right..lol)

thanks for all the good advice...
@hair glad you didnt do that impromtu cut, wouldnt wont the honey mad, im not great with rollers period...but im going to try a roller set maybe i can blend my 40 different textures better than i am right now...

@deva...no i dont need no outside folk ask WTH is with your hair, cause i ask myself that everyday...own worst enemy stuff working over here...im on a mission to change and going natural was one of the steps i took to love me...the me that God made, so no more WTH's deal?

@tress...no curlformers for me no time soon, if i dreamed about that but the funny thing is they never made it in my head so im beginning to think the dream was a nighmare...im not good with rollers...i just twist and throw rollers on the ends cause of the perm, but i have never rolled my entire head. do you thing rollers or flexirods are easier, and which ones last the longest?

@doll...i need to up my accesory warderobe including hats and headbands and all that...im trying to make a go at it...if you go for the curlformer please let me know how it turns out...no more WTH so we gonna go with the flow....

Later

Offandrunning

Back to top Go down

Post by komirra 27th January 2010, 7:41 pm

I've been transitioning since October too!! i think its really cool to see women on this site that have/ are transitioning to natural hair. you dont see that many natural / transitioning sistas on a daily basis. its nice to know that someone started transitioning the same time i did Smile
komirra
komirra

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackdoll83 27th January 2010, 8:01 pm

@ komirra yay welcome. Yea tell me about it -it is such a relief to find other women who started the same time as you. I see a few women here and there who have natural hair when i'm out and about, and i want to approach them but im just a little shy about it now. I think the more i talk about it here and the more i learn about natural hair - the more confident i will become n soon i will be approaching these ladies and striking up conversations with them too!
Blackdoll83
Blackdoll83

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 28th January 2010, 4:46 am

Hey Blackdoll83, I just wanted to tell you that I love your avatar. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Do you have more pics of the back of your hair in that style?
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackdoll83 28th January 2010, 12:43 pm

Thanks Beauty. Your Avatar is Fabb too!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I dont have a pic of the back but I honestly just soaked the back with watered down conditioner brushed it up and pinned it to the top. The side that is viewable i just put 2 flat twists just to give it a lil more character i guess.
On a side note- Ladies i think i might be doing a BC sooner than later because I had a dream last night that i did it n i just remember saying I loved it so much and i felt so beautiful. We shall see..
Blackdoll83
Blackdoll83

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 28th January 2010, 5:50 pm

Thanks BD. You are always welcome to BC with me if you are thinking about sooner. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] My date is March 18th, 2010. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by tressedforsuccess 28th January 2010, 6:34 pm

Offandrunning wrote:good morning october transistioners....(was going to shorten transistioners but nothing sounded quite right..lol)

@tress...no curlformers for me no time soon, if i dreamed about that but the funny thing is they never made it in my head so im beginning to think the dream was a nighmare...im not good with rollers...i just twist and throw rollers on the ends cause of the perm, but i have never rolled my entire head. do you thing rollers or flexirods are easier, and which ones last the longest?

I can't rollerset for the life of me! Even when I was fully relaxed I couldn't do a rollerset. I haven't even tried since I started transitioning. I love flexirods though. I find it so much easier to make my hair look good. After experimenting with them, I've learned how to use them for a bunch of different styles from a tight, spiral look to a looser wavier look. My flexirod sets last 4-5 days depending on how tight the curls are to start out with. I'm a wild sleeper, but I wear a satin cap and they hold up pretty well. When the curls start to fall, I usually pin it up or make it into a cute bun if I need to make the style last an extra day or two.
tressedforsuccess
tressedforsuccess

Back to top Go down

Post by Offandrunning 28th January 2010, 6:46 pm

welcome komirra...yeah its grea having people transisitioning like you. I had a small meltdown this morning, tried rolling my hair ladies, did look like i wanted it to, so through a hat on and went to court. Dont yall know they make me take my hat off in court...darn darn darn...

Lesson learned...never leave home without bobby pins/clips, a headband and a positive attitude...all can make a bad hair experience a lil more tolerable....

Hey doll83 i feel yon on b/c'ing earlier because this all natural back and permed front and sides is driving me looney...we will see. I predict a wig in my very near future...

Offandrunning

Back to top Go down

Post by Offandrunning 28th January 2010, 6:50 pm

tressedforsuccess wrote:
Offandrunning wrote:good morning october transistioners....(was going to shorten transistioners but nothing sounded quite right..lol)

I can't rollerset for the life of me! Even when I was fully relaxed I couldn't do a rollerset. I haven't even tried since I started transitioning. I love flexirods though. I find it so much easier to make my hair look good. After experimenting with them, I've learned how to use them for a bunch of different styles from a tight, spiral look to a looser wavier look. My flexirod sets last 4-5 days depending on how tight the curls are to start out with. I'm a wild sleeper, but I wear a satin cap and they hold up pretty well. When the curls start to fall, I usually pin it up or make it into a cute bun if I need to make the style last an extra day or two.

My rollerset did go to well, so im going to try the flexirods. Do you use wrap pappers....and what color rods do you use? How do you make your styles vary? Im trying im tryin, i really dont want to b/c for a year i want some length but this is hard...so i am open to all the help i can get..

thanks

Offandrunning

Back to top Go down

Heyy-Transitioning since October Empty I just joined today too!

Post by CreoleLady88 28th January 2010, 7:44 pm

So after stalking this website for about a month, i finally joined today!!! Yayyy! So i've been transitioning since May 2009, and i didnt even realize i was transtioning, i just knew i didnt wanna get relaxers anymore! I've been itching to do the BC! But I'm super scared! I know my fam would love it because my sister is natural, but I work in a bank and im the only black employee(everyone else is white), so i am kinda scared of how my coworkers and my customers will react to my hair, even though i know i shouldn't care! Anywho I've been getting relaxers since I was 10, I had that big Tia and Tamara Mowry hair, and my mom has 3 daughters so she made me get a relaxer because she got tried of dealing with all that thick curly hair! Fast forward 11 years and i desperately miss my wild curly hair!!! I plan to BC on my 22nd birthday may 12, 2010. But i feel like i cant do anything to my hair right now so im thinking about cutting it over spring break! I do roller sets every week and wear it in a ponytail EVERYDAY! Im so bored with this!!!!

Im soooo happy i found this website and to have people support me in this transition! Hopefully i can hold out till May, but i HIGHLY DOUBT IT LOL!!! I love this website, it has so much helpful information to help me thru this!
CreoleLady88
CreoleLady88

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackdoll83 28th January 2010, 8:31 pm

@intelligentbeauty- aww that is so sweet of of u...I havent seen my beautician since i started my transition but she does both relaxed and natural hair. I am going to see her early this week for a wash, deep condition and trim. If she tells me that my hair is a hottt mess tho- i just might tell her to chop it off then. But if not March 18th sounds cool to me... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

@offandrunning- girl i have soo many wigs its ridic- I am soo quick to pop one on if my hair is disrespecting me.lol There is nothing wrong with wigs- go for it!

@creolelady88- Hey lady!- Yea I feel u about the uncertainty of how people would respond to the new you. I have been reading and hearing a lot tho that many people who are NOT of color are infact the first people to be amazed and to give you compliments about your hair so i dunno- I dont know the people u work with but hey u might be suprised and they just might tell u they absolutely love it! And i agree this site is amaziing [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Blackdoll83
Blackdoll83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down