CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hair Types

4 posters

Go down

Hair Types Empty Hair Types

Post by RissaRae 15th January 2010, 11:41 am

Ok guys I have been a Natural Girl for 7 years off and on. I am a mother to my 9 month old Baby girl Corigan Rae and expecting my Baby boy April 22nd! For me to have been a Natural for so long I have to ask how do you determine your "Hair Type"? I am new to the Forum and I'm reading a lot of CG's post that have their hair type posted. Help me out ladies!
RissaRae
RissaRae

Back to top Go down

Hair Types Empty Re: Hair Types

Post by ChrsLvsBks 19th January 2010, 5:35 pm

Hair types are based on the size or lack of wave or curl. A 1 type is a straight haired person. A person with a 2 type has wavy hair. A person with 3 type hair has curls. They can range from the size of a pencil to a larger roller. The size of the curls is what people are referring when they say they are a 3a (larger curl) or 3b (slightly smaller than 3a) or 3c (curls the size of a pencil). A person with 4 type hair has a tighter curl or no curl. A size 'a' curl is a coffee stirrer or so size with a person with 4b may have no noticeable curl. This is based on what I have read and understood.

I think hair typing is subjective. What I feel is more imporant is one's texture, porosity and elasticity. Product ingredients help with these areas. Your texture will only change with chemicals or heat.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RissaRae 25th January 2010, 1:34 am

ChrsLvsBks wrote:Hair types are based on the size or lack of wave or curl. A 1 type is a straight haired person. A person with a 2 type has wavy hair. A person with 3 type hair has curls. They can range from the size of a pencil to a larger roller. The size of the curls is what people are referring when they say they are a 3a (larger curl) or 3b (slightly smaller than 3a) or 3c (curls the size of a pencil). A person with 4 type hair has a tighter curl or no curl. A size 'a' curl is a coffee stirrer or so size with a person with 4b may have no noticeable curl. This is based on what I have read and understood.

I think hair typing is subjective. What I feel is more imporant is one's texture, porosity and elasticity. Product ingredients help with these areas. Your texture will only change with chemicals or heat.
Thanks for your advice. I have realized that my hair does have several different textures and one reason is because the past year I have been mostly straightening my hair (using a blowdryer & flat iron). But I will just have to work with it to get the look I want! Thanks again
RissaRae
RissaRae

Back to top Go down

Hair Types Empty Hair Types More Info

Post by msjaygee 20th March 2010, 1:48 am

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can find more information on hair types? Books, websites, anything.

msjaygee

Back to top Go down

Post by RissaRae 25th March 2010, 8:35 pm

msjaygee wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can find more information on hair types? Books, websites, anything.

Here's a website that may help you out. http://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
RissaRae
RissaRae

Back to top Go down

Post by msjaygee 27th March 2010, 9:51 pm

Thanks RissaRae! I'm growing it out from a VERY short cut. I've been natural for 4+yrs, but never had more than 2-5 cm of hair. After not having it "faded" since December, I have about 10 cm of growth. Now I have a better idea of how to care for it.

msjaygee

Back to top Go down

Post by FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c) 9th April 2010, 12:55 am

I agree hair typing is subjective.....I have like 3 textures and one of mine isnt even listed...I consider it actually 2c....tight waves scratch However...it's not listed on any website...so Oh Well!
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down