CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Searching for the truth about winter use of veggie glycerin

2 posters

Go down

Searching for the truth about winter use of veggie glycerin Empty Searching for the truth about winter use of veggie glycerin

Post by Lynnieluve 2nd November 2009, 1:01 am

This is my first fall/winter being natural. I BC'd August 9 2009 and I still trying to figure some things out so I need your help natural veterans.

The cold weather is here and I have been reading/hearing that it is time to put away the vegetable glycerin. I've also hear that it's ok to continue to use it during the cold months. I know that glycerin draws moisture from the air and that's why it works wonders during the warmer months.

I have heard now that the air is drier, the glycerin will draw moisture from your hair. But I have also heard that glycerin can not draw moisture from your hair.

So I know in the end, I need to just try it and see how my hair reacts but I want to know your personal experiences with the use of veggie glycerin during the colder months. Thanks in advance for your responses.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Searching for the truth about winter use of veggie glycerin Empty Re: Searching for the truth about winter use of veggie glycerin

Post by *CurlyNikki* 2nd November 2009, 1:24 am

I've heard both as well...but I always err on the side of caution. Some of the products that work for me in the summer really don't moisturize as well in the winter...and many of these have glycerin and panthenol high up on the list. Coincidence...possibly. But my dry ends quickly break and snap...so I opt for conditioner stylers that have humectants farther down on the list.

I don't eliminate glycerin/humectants altogether...it's hard to do, but I do my best to make sure that the conditioners I leave in don't have glycerin within the first 5 ingredients.

hth!

bottom line--do what works for you! Follow a particular reggie for 3 weeks...assess...and determine if you should proceed as before, or make tweaks. Many folks don't change products at all come winter and they do just fine!
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

http://www.curlynikki.com

Back to top Go down

Searching for the truth about winter use of veggie glycerin Empty Re: Searching for the truth about winter use of veggie glycerin

Post by *CurlyNikki* 2nd November 2009, 1:26 am

An example is SheaMoisture...this is incredibly moisturizing and thick. In theory it should work great for winter, but it leaves me a bit dry and stiff. If I recall, panthenol and glycerin are within the top 5. It's a great summer moisturizer for me.
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 2nd November 2009, 10:46 am

Thanks Nikki!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 2nd November 2009, 11:08 am

No prob! An exception for me is Set it Free...I can get away with using it in the winter, despite the glycerin. Hair is weird!
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down