CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The truth about Keratin treatments???

4 posters

Go down

The truth about Keratin treatments??? Empty The truth about Keratin treatments???

Post by MissSianP 18th November 2010, 8:59 pm

Ladies I hope that you will all forgive the natural sceptic in me but I am deeply suspicious of all the raving I'm reading about these so called Keratin treatments which have the ability to straighten your hair (if that is what you want) or coat the hair with deep conditioning effects so that the curl is retained but the frizz is either eliminated or significantly reduced.

The hype all began with the 'Brazilian Blowout' which privided women who don't usually have it with straight hair and now it appears that naturals are using it to get healthier and longer curly tresses. The claim is generally that it is chemical free (although some admit that there is a chemical but suggest that it causes no harm, although I struggle to believe this because the stylists wear masks when applying it - and I always resisted a relaxer even before I learned to love my curls becuase I knew that anything too stinky to breath in should not go on my hair - plus it looked and acted a lot like hair removing creme which is stright up suspect [pls excuse the pun!]) and that it coats the hair with keratin which occurs naturally in hair and body anyway.

What I would like to know is the truth about any damage that it might do to your hair. The truth about the chemicals in the treatment. And the real effect that it has on curls long term... if all the hype is correct and my suspicions are wrong, then heck, I might go out and get me one of those coz my hair has been frizzy and in bad condition for a while (due to the dramatic aftermath of dying my hair black and then trying to get rid of the colour when I didn't know better - it may take another year or two to grow out all the damaged hair from repeated and harsh bleach).

If anyone out there can shed any real light on the matter I'd love to hear from you.

Love ya ladies

Ciao

xxxxx
MissSianP
MissSianP

Back to top Go down

The truth about Keratin treatments??? Empty Re: The truth about Keratin treatments???

Post by MissSianP 18th November 2010, 9:22 pm

MissSianP
MissSianP

Back to top Go down

The truth about Keratin treatments??? Empty Re: The truth about Keratin treatments???

Post by bcandy 19th November 2010, 1:24 am

I tried the Francis Coppola treatment several months ago. I have 4a hair that was already damaged from lack of care. The first thing the stylist told me was don't expect miracles that although it typically relaxes your curl slightly with African-American natural hair there typically wasn't a drastic difference.

When it was done i wore my hair straight for 2 days, then washed because I was terrified it would be too straight. It was still the puff that I loved and couldn't tell a drastic difference afterwards. So I probably won't ever do it again because I don't know if was worth the price.

Anyway, there is a ton of information all over the internet about these treatments including the health dangers, since most use formaldehyde. But for more info about results try the forums at naturallycurly.com lots of women on there had it and posted their before/afters

bcandy

Back to top Go down

The truth about Keratin treatments??? Empty Pravana Keratin Treatment

Post by Jade 8th December 2010, 1:30 am

I got this keratin treatment on 10/30/10. I really like it. I was very curly and wanted to manage my curls for the cooler weather. I will post pictures to show before keratin and after. It does straighten the hair, makes it very shiny.

This is the process below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6AibfdFqGw[youtube]
Jade
Jade

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 12th December 2010, 12:35 pm

Here is what I have read:

From The New York Times:

November 3, 2010
A Safety Kink in Hair Relaxing?
By TERRY PRISTIN

AS more women began clamoring for the latest sensation in hair care, the so-called Brazilian hair-relaxing treatments, the Neil George Salon in Beverly Hills, Calif., added a cabana with open sides and a fabric roof to isolate the process from the salon itself. “I couldn’t stand the fumes,” said Neil Weisberg, an owner.

Mark Garrison, the owner of a salon on the Upper East Side of Manhattan that bears his name, set aside a floor for the treatment, equipped it with special ventilators and began providing industrial-strength respirators to his clients and stylists. And a West Hollywood salon, John Frieda, relegated its straightening treatments to an open-air courtyard.

Just like the permanents that were once the height of fashion, the lucrative process of converting frizzy or kinky hair into smooth locks produces unpleasant odors. But is it dangerous, especially to the operators who apply the product repeatedly?

Last month, the beauty world was rattled when the occupational health agency in Oregon found significant levels of formaldehyde in the hair-smoothing solution sold under the name Brazilian Blowout. (A common ingredient found in many products, formaldehyde is a recognized carcinogen if it is present at high levels.) The agency said it had conducted lab tests after receiving numerous complaints from stylists citing nosebleeds, breathing problems and eye irritation after applying the product. Last Friday, Oregon authorities broadened their warning to include other hair-smoothing products, particularly those described as “keratin-based,” and said employers should take steps to protect their workers.

The report came soon after a warning from Canadian health authorities about the potential dangers of Brazilian Blowout. Subsequently, the United States Food and Drug Administration announced that it was working with state and local authorities to determine if Brazilian Blowout and similar products, known generically as Brazilian or Keratin treatments, are safe. The F.D.A. does not approve cosmetics other than color additives in advance, but will respond to consumer complaints, said a spokeswoman, Siobhan Delancey.

Brazilian Blowout, also the name of the company based in Los Angeles that distributes the solutions by that name — which it says are manufactured in Brazil by Cadiveu — initially repudiated the Oregon findings. But in response to the most recent report, it said that the Oregon tests showed that formaldehyde exposure from Brazilian Blowout was “safely below” permissible levels.

The warnings have prompted various responses from salon owners. Some, like the Sally Hershberger salons in Los Angeles and New York and the John Barrett Salon at Bergdorf Goodman in New York, decided to ban the brand Brazilian Blowout, but continue to use products from other companies. Some manufacturers acknowledge that their products contain formalin, a substance made up in part of formaldehyde, but say the amounts are insignificant.

Michael Angelo’s Wonderland Beauty Parlor in the meatpacking district of Manhattan stopped doing Brazilian treatments years ago because of the presence of formalin. Michael Angelo, the owner, said he began offering the Brazilian Blowout solution again when the company assured him the product was formaldehyde-free, but has now ceased altogether. “A lot of money went out the door,” he said.

Other salon owners believe the health agencies are overreacting. “I say, you put Botox in your face, lead in your lipstick, and you smoke,” said Mr. Weisberg of the Neil George salon. “Pick your poison.” He said his salon does up to 20 treatments a week, mostly using Brazilian Blowout, and has no intention of stopping.

At Studio Noi, a small Los Angeles salon, Mar Fujimoto, the owner, said she had personally performed the Brazilian Blowout 300 times in six weeks after discounting the price to $125 from $300. She said the company had assured her that the product was not harmful. “I trust their claims that it is formaldehyde-free,” she said.

Questions about the safety of Brazilian treatments have been raised for years, most notably in a widely read 2007 article in Allure magazine. Yet for many salon owners and stylists, who are usually independent contractors, it is hard to contemplate eliminating such a profitable procedure. “It’s one of the most popular services we’ve had in years,” said the salon owner John Barrett. “People think it’s an absolute godsend.”

Pamela Nichols, a Manhattan real estate broker, has been getting the treatment at various salons on and off for five years. “What the Brazilian does is keep the hair calm,” she said. “It doesn’t get frizzy and crazy.” Pat Kandel, a real estate agent in Marina del Rey, Calif., said the treatment made her hair dry faster. “It gives your hair memory,” she said. “It remembers what you’ve done to it.”

Creating this effect, which lasts from a few weeks to a few months, is labor intensive, and the service is priced accordingly. Prices generally start at about $250 and can go as high as $700 in some salons. Salon owners say the have to charge a lot because the product itself is expensive.

On a recent morning, Sanae Furutani, a stylist at Mark Garrison, wore rubber gloves and a respirator as she slowly applied a pink solution made by a company called Lasio to sections of her client’s freshly washed hair. She blow-dried the hair in sections and then ironed it. The client, who was clutching a respirator to her face and asked not to be identified, sat under a plastic hood so that vapor escaping from the iron could be sucked out to the street through an industrial-looking ventilator. She was told not to wash her hair for 48 hours.

Ms. Furutani, who does three or four treatments a week, said she had never experienced eye irritation or other problems. But stylists at other salons were smarting. “My eyes are very sensitive to the feel of it,” said Angela Perez of José Eber salon in Beverly Hills, who does not wear a mask. Like Ms. Fujimoto, Ms. Perez said she had been assured at a Brazilian Blowout training session that the product was formaldehyde-free.

After testing several hair-relaxing treatments, Neil Spingarn, the president of S & N Labs of Santa Monica, Calif., found significant levels of formaldehyde, according to documents provided by a hairdresser. Though Mr. Spingarn declined to discuss those reports, he said that salons and clients seldom know what is in the products they use. “We expect that somebody somewhere is checking everything, but that expectation is false,” he said.

He said “responsible manufacturers” should measure how much formaldehyde exposure salon workers are likely to receive while applying the products. But he cautioned that the potential dangers should not be exaggerated.

“I can’t imagine why you would panic over this,” he said.

Also from the NY Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/11/your-money/11wrinkle.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=homepage

So why use the chemical at all? Formaldehyde basically keeps the fabric’s fibers in place after a spin in the washing machine. Without it, the fibers become wrinkled or creases may fade.

I wonder what the keratin manufacturers used to replace formaldehyde?

I can't imagine applying the product to my hair and I definitely would not want to follow it up by placing it in the equivalent of a panini press. I'm sticking to CurlFormers for the days I want a smoother look. If it frizzes, I'll just have to accept it. $25 from a class action lawsuit is not going to make me feel better if I get sick or my hair breaks off. I remember Rio & Copa.

Last edited by FalconTress on 12th December 2010, 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to correct a typo)

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down