CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glycerin in Winter

3 posters

Go down

Glycerin in Winter Empty Glycerin in Winter

Post by Amy V. 3rd January 2011, 10:31 pm

I've heard so many times that glycerin is bad for hair in the Winter because it will suck the moisture out of your hair. I'm not sure if this has ever been an issue for me because honestly, I never paid attention. I just purchased a few products that do have a lot of glycerin in them and I haven't noticed any negative effect yet. But have you ladies noticed any significant difference in you hair's moisture level when avoiding glycerin during the Winter?
Amy V.
Amy V.

http://avbeautycentral.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Glycerin in Winter Empty Re: Glycerin in Winter

Post by creolebeauty1 3rd January 2011, 10:42 pm

i'm not sure i brought some vegetable glycerin this summer and was going to keep applying it but i was told Glycerin was a humectant and should be used where it can suck moisture from the air because it not it will take moisture from the hair and distribute it to the air , and if it's really how i'm assuming it shouldn't be used in the summer either it might set your head on fire i'm a bit confused so i put it down and thought ill wait when it's raining to use it lol idk great thread
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by 1FlySista 3rd January 2011, 11:05 pm

I use glycerin year round and have never experienced a problem. I had heard that it is recommended to stop if you live in harsher colder areas like Chicago, Minnesota, Canada, etc. Where I live the Winters typically get as cold as the 20's and honestly, I use it daily and have never experienced the drying effect. One of my girlfriends stopped using it and started to experience dryness. She began using the glycerin products again and the problem corrected itself.

This is my suggestion because each of our hair responds differently. Use a product until it becomes a problem for you. Just because someone else had a bad experience don't share their issue as truth until you can speak from your own experience. There are many things during this journey that some naturals recommended that just was a transference of information from someone else's unique experience. If you aren't a person who is great with timely moisturizing of your hair then glycerin and other humectants may not be best during colder months.

Most of us are inside anyway and not being exposed to cold Winter air for a long period of time. For those of us who have super dry heat at home, like myself, I say invest in a humidifier. I sleep with one every night and it not only helps with my breathing but I know it is also contributing to keeping moisture in the air for my hair to absorb. Wink
1FlySista
1FlySista

http://www.goddyssey.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy V. 4th January 2011, 12:40 am

1FlySista wrote:I use glycerin year round and have never experienced a problem. I had heard that it is recommended to stop if you live in harsher colder areas like Chicago, Minnesota, Canada, etc. Where I live the Winters typically get as cold as the 20's and honestly, I use it daily and have never experienced the drying effect. One of my girlfriends stopped using it and started to experience dryness. She began using the glycerin products again and the problem corrected itself.

This is my suggestion because each of our hair responds differently. Use a product until it becomes a problem for you. Just because someone else had a bad experience don't share their issue as truth until you can speak from your own experience. There are many things during this journey that some naturals recommended that just was a transference of information from someone else's unique experience. If you aren't a person who is great with timely moisturizing of your hair then glycerin and other humectants may not be best during colder months.

Most of us are inside anyway and not being exposed to cold Winter air for a long period of time. For those of us who have super dry heat at home, like myself, I say invest in a humidifier. I sleep with one every night and it not only helps with my breathing but I know it is also contributing to keeping moisture in the air for my hair to absorb. Wink
Well I am inside most of the time and I'm not exposed to the outside weather at all. I never even thought of that LOL... And I do moisturize my hair every day :-)
Amy V.
Amy V.

http://avbeautycentral.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down