CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

**traveljunkie08**

+34
CocoEuro
bholmes87
sunbaby
KinkyNappyHappy
StephanieB
CocaColaCutie
BlondeByDesire
MsJay1121
Kea::curls
CurlyMo
Notthecoolmom
Erica5417
SheeTacular
Pinkrage
Courtney
vmichelle
curly+kinky+fierce
LilMsPuddles
Freestyles
dajewel
Corygentri
truet
HumanNature
Juices-n-Berries
Intelligentbeauty
sweetdrk1
Courtie
AfrikanLatina
Curly Film Chick
NylaCoils
adiaha
ChrsLvsBks
Lynnieluve
traveljunkie08
38 posters

Page 4 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next

Go down

**traveljunkie08** - Page 4 Empty Re: **traveljunkie08**

Post by Freestyles 30th December 2009, 12:45 am

LMBO off @ Jermaine Jackson'd my edges when slicking my hair back with gel **traveljunkie08** - Page 4 Icon_lol

That "rule" is pretty smart...there's just so much I want to try! *Pouting*

---Reese **traveljunkie08** - Page 4 Icon_rr
Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 30th December 2009, 12:46 am

That's a good idea. That was my original plan. I didnt turn into a product junkie until I joined this forum.

I was thinking about doing a 2 month challenge. I need to purchase some EVOO. I have less than a 1/4 left. I am seriously thinking about starting my challenge on 1/1/2010....sigh...
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 30th December 2009, 12:49 am

SHUTUP @ the jermaine jackson comment LMBO.. That was too funny! I actually laughed out loud. I love that beanie too sis and the WNG puff was very nice.
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 30th December 2009, 12:55 am

Y'all new exactly what I meant when I said I Jermaine Jackson'd my edges. Shellacked edges are not cute (in my opinion anyway).

@Freestyles: I just had to do something. It was getting out of hand. It was to the point where my nephews no longer wanted to go to the store with me because they knew we'd spend at least 30 minutes looking at hair products. My oldest nephew (10) even asked me the other day if the stuff he uses for his hair has "chemicals" in it. No

@Lynnieluve: You should!

@Alatina: Thanks!
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 30th December 2009, 1:28 am

lmaooooooooooooooooooooo leave Jermaine alone!!

I love the puff and tell them...no purchases regardless of the sale. I am currently sneaking around the forum tryin to hide from Shee and her discount annoucements! hahahahahaahaha
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 30th December 2009, 2:33 pm

Not much going on with the hair today. Pretty much looks the same as yesterday. If I decide to go out into the snow today, I'm sure I'll just end up wearing a hat.

On the workout front, I am so, so sore. I don't want to lose my momentum, but I think I'll make today my rest day for the week.
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 30th December 2009, 3:00 pm

I watched the video. I dont think my hair is long enough for a wash n go puff. When I do my puff, I make sure my hair is stretched. It worth a try though. This is how my puff normally looks:

**traveljunkie08** - Page 4 Hair_p13
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 30th December 2009, 3:09 pm

Yeah, I don't think it'll be that full with the wash n go. But it is an easy style...especially for warmer months I'm sure.
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 30th December 2009, 8:13 pm

Hey TJ, your puff is super cute.
I also want to tell you that I thought that it was super nice of you to help MS Leggz with her dilemna. Real Cool!!! **traveljunkie08** - Page 4 Icon_biggrin
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaha 30th December 2009, 10:01 pm

I agree with the others, your puff is cute. My hair isnt nearly long enough yet but its also too thick, what did you use to pull it a back, a scrunchie, knee his???

I feel ya on sore, Im sore too. Where'd you find the Chalean workouts and what kind are they? Pilates like?
adiaha
adiaha

Back to top Go down

Post by Corygentri 30th December 2009, 10:39 pm

Ok how do you guys do these puffs? is there a utube video? Help me someone.

TJ the puff is really cute. I like your challenge. I am not really a pj but I have a lot of products that I have been thinking about trying. But I do tend to stock up on my staples. I have large bottles of HE TT and HH while I have opened bottles in progress already of each and I keep at least 2 bottles of Suave coconut on hand for my cowash. I'm almost out of coconut oil so I am going to whole food this week to get more of that. It took me 6 months to go through a jar so I don't feel bad about that. And all the stock ups I buy they were a deal. I know I got those two bottles of the Herbal Essence for only 1.79 (they are 20 oz each)so I couldnt pass it up. And I always have a coupon for the Suave. (I am a coupon queen).

Somebody tell me how to do the puff!

Would u believe I used to date a guy named Jermaine Jackson?
Corygentri
Corygentri

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 31st December 2009, 1:37 pm

traveljunkie08 wrote:Today I did a WnG puff. I co-washed with Suave Naturals Coconut and detangled with HETT. I used Samy's Curl Creme as a leave-in and scrunched in some HETT mousse.

**traveljunkie08** - Page 4 Gedc0712

**traveljunkie08** - Page 4 Gedc0713

I Jermaine Jackson'd my edges when slicking my hair back with gel, so I'll have to remember not to be so heavy handed next time.

In other news, I'm on a personal no buy challenge. Shocked I will still experiment with different products, but I will not "stock up". I just won't. Sale or no sale, good deal or not, if I don't need it, I'm not buying it.
LOL @jermainejackson comment! Your hair is simply beautiful! I need a challenge. Are you posting it somewhere so others can join you? I need help. Thing is I am not competitive, lol.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 31st December 2009, 2:03 pm

Intelligentbeauty wrote:Hey TJ, your puff is super cute.
I also want to tell you that I thought that it was super nice of you to help MS Leggz with her dilemna. Real Cool!!! **traveljunkie08** - Page 4 Icon_biggrin

Thanks! I so understand how she felt/feels. Dry, crispy hair is not the business. No
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 31st December 2009, 2:09 pm

@adiaha & Cory: MahoganyCurls actually has a YouTube tutorial on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boJKh6LkzYM

I didn't see it before I did mine, but I watched it yesterday and it turns out I did mine almost the exact same way. I used the top of the knee-hi (the stretchy part). It's the only thing I can use that doesn't give me a headache.

@adiaha: I ordered ChaLEAN Extreme from Beachbody. It's mostly strength training (b/c muscle burns fat) but there is an interval training DVD too.
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 31st December 2009, 2:12 pm

Thanks Chrs! Embarassed I'm scared to start an official challenge cuz that means I'd have to be accountable to a group. Neutral But maybe that's what I need to stay on track.
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 31st December 2009, 3:45 pm

I've been looking through my product stash, and I have boxed up things I know I won't use so I can donate them. I was going to rotate different conditioners to use as a leave-in, but since I know my hair likes KBB hair milk, I decided not to do that and just use what I know for sure my hair likes as a leave-in. (I had been coveting a trial size bottle of the hair milk, so I went ahead and bought a full size bottle yesterday.) I want to use my stuff, but I don't want to use it just to be using it. I'll use all the "random" conditioners I have for co-washing. These are all the conditioners I have:

* Giovanni Smooth as Silk
* Suave Coconut
* EO Lavender Mint
* Nature's Gate Pomegranate Sunflower
* Darcy's Botanicals Pumpkin Seed
* Desert Essences Italian Red Grape
* Sedal S.O.S. Reconstruccion Estructural (something I bought in Argentina)
* Shikai Color Reflect Daily Moisture
* Klorane (also bought in Argentina)
* Natio Spa Green Tea and Amla
* Organic Surge Citrus Mint

I also have several AO conditioners that I'll continue to use as DCs. As you can see, I have way too many conditioners. I shouldn't have to buy any conditioner until the spring. Shocked

I only have a few other miscellaneous things I need to use up. Conditioners seemed to be the one thing that was getting the most out of hand.
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 1st January 2010, 3:25 pm

Happy New Year, Ladies! Here's to a healthy and prosperous New Year full of possibilities! I spent NYE with my family. We had a pizza party, played the Wii all night and had a sparkling grape juice toast at midnight. My 4 year old nephew even stayed up until midnight. Thankfully, no one sustained any injuries or had to go to the hospital because my sis thinks she's Venus AND Serena when she plays tennis on the Wii. Laughing

I wore my hair in a curly fro. No pics, unfortunately, but it didn't look much different than my avatar. Prior to styling, I pre-poo'd with oil, then shampoo'd with the Swastik Shikakai shampoo bar I bought at the Global Foods Market. I didn't like the smell or that it was pink (and lathered pink), so I tossed it. I conditioned/detangled with HE TT, applied a leave-in, sealed with QB AOHC and used a little Gio Hair Foam for hold. I did about 12 twists, let them dry, then unraveled and fluffed.

The things I like most about this style are that I don't have to spend a lot of time doing twists and I'm not that concerned about frizz. I've tried on several occasions to do a twist out with smaller twists and it usually goes from this...

**traveljunkie08** - Page 4 Gedc0214

to this...
**traveljunkie08** - Page 4 Gedc0311

...in a matter of minutes when I try to fluff and separate. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Crying or Very sad
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by vmichelle 1st January 2010, 3:56 pm

traveljunkie08 wrote:After viewing other threads, I finally decided to start my own to document my progress. Hope you'll join me on my journey. Smile

On December 4, 2008, I went to a Dominican salon in NYC to get a relaxer. As I sat in the chair, I decided that it was going to be my last relaxer. A year earlier, I'd tried to transition, but relaxed out of convenience. I was ready to give it another try. But half way through my transition, I wanted to give up. Washing and detangling my hair became a nightmare. Not only was I shedding a lot of hair, but I was shedding a lot of tears too. I was very close to relaxing my hair again, but some friends encouraged me not to. So I didn't. Instead, I started researching. After spending countless hours on hair care blogs and YouTube, as well as lurking on some of the hair care boards, I felt re-energized and re-committed myself to transitioning.

The second half of my transition was easier and more exciting than the first. I began to experiment with different styles, products and hair accessories. As more and more of my natural hair grew in, I became increasingly curious about what my hair would look like without the relaxed ends. I had friends that were doing their BC with little transition, and I really admired their courage and confidence. As courageous as they were and as curious as I was, I knew that mentally, I wasn't ready to do the BC. So I patiently waited until it was "my time".

My time came on October 11, 2009; 10 months after my last relaxer. I was ready to let the relaxed ends go and accept my natural hair. I wet my hair, and started cutting. When I was done, I felt relieved and shocked. Relieved because I didn't have to worry about caring for two different textures anymore, and shocked because I couldn't believe I did it. I also felt indifferent about my new look. I didn't necessarily hate it, but I wasn't overjoyed either. Much of my identity was tied into my hair, so it took me a few weeks to get comfortable and confident with my hair. I still have my days when I'm not feeling it, but I don't have any regrets and I'm so happy to be on this journey.

Let's look at some pics, shall we?

This is the day of my last relaxer:
**traveljunkie08** - Page 4 27261510

Halfway through my transition (I alternated between flat ironing and buns):
**traveljunkie08** - Page 4 100_3210

My first twist n curl after a "mini chop" of 4 inches (it was more curl than twist):
**traveljunkie08** - Page 4 100_3910

The day before the BC:
**traveljunkie08** - Page 4 Gedc0010

All the relaxed ends I cut off:
**traveljunkie08** - Page 4 Gedc0011

Flat ironed hair after the BC:
**traveljunkie08** - Page 4 Gedc0211

First WnG attempt (fail):
**traveljunkie08** - Page 4 Gedc0212

First twist out:
**traveljunkie08** - Page 4 Gedc0213

FIERCE girl FIERCE!!
vmichelle
vmichelle

http://mynaturalme.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vmichelle 1st January 2010, 4:00 pm

traveljunkie08 wrote:So, last night, I tried the Brahmi powder I purchased at the Global Foods Market. I mixed it with water. I didn't want to mix it with anything else because I wanted to see if it'd have an effect on its own. I left it in for 15-20 minutes. After I rinsed, I co-washed with Giovanni SAS and detangled with HE TT. This is how it looked:

**traveljunkie08** - Page 4 Gedc0614

It didn't look or feel any different than it normally does. I applied a little Darcy's Botanicals Pumpkin Conditioner as a leave-in. I spent the next two hours doing coils. I used Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel mixed with Qhemet's Burdock Root Butter Cream to coil.

**traveljunkie08** - Page 4 Gedc0615

**traveljunkie08** - Page 4 Gedc0616

My hair is much looser at the top, so it barely coiled. This morning, I smoothed KBB Hair Butter over them, then put on a beanie to head out and do some last minute Christmas shopping.

**traveljunkie08** - Page 4 Gedc0617

As I mentioned before, I probably won't use the brahmi again or do coils again. I'm realizing that when it comes to my hair, the simpler my routine the better. I don't want to mix things. I don't want to spend two hours doing my hair. I don't want to have anything "sit" on my hair for more than 15 minutes. I don't want to get in and out of the shower. So, I'm going to try to keep it simple.

Okay so I know I'm a bit late with the catching up sistah but these coils are FIERCE. Do you just use a comb?
vmichelle
vmichelle

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 1st January 2010, 6:12 pm

Happy New Year!

When you do smaller twists, how do you separate them? How long do you allow them to "set?"
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 1st January 2010, 7:22 pm

vmichelle wrote:

Okay so I know I'm a bit late with the catching up sistah but these coils are FIERCE. Do you just use a comb?

Thanks for the compliment!!! I did it with my fingers. I tried to do it with a comb, but I just couldn't get the hang of it.
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by vmichelle 1st January 2010, 7:22 pm

Hmmmmm....video???? LOL
vmichelle
vmichelle

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 1st January 2010, 7:27 pm

ChrsLvsBks wrote:Happy New Year!

When you do smaller twists, how do you separate them? How long do you allow them to "set?"

I usually leave them in for a day. I separate them by putting a little oil on my fingers and unraveling them from the end of the twists and them pull them apart from the ends. As I think about it, the last time I tried smaller twists, I think I was doing them on completely wet hair. I've since altered my routine to twist on damp hair, so I wonder if that could have anything to do with it???
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 1st January 2010, 7:29 pm

vmichelle wrote:Hmmmmm....video???? LOL

Um, no. lol! I'm sure SOMEONE has a YouTube video on how to do it.
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by vmichelle 1st January 2010, 7:37 pm

Oh com'on travel junkie!!! LOL...
vmichelle
vmichelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content