CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

**traveljunkie08**

+34
CocoEuro
bholmes87
sunbaby
KinkyNappyHappy
StephanieB
CocaColaCutie
BlondeByDesire
MsJay1121
Kea::curls
CurlyMo
Notthecoolmom
Erica5417
SheeTacular
Pinkrage
Courtney
vmichelle
curly+kinky+fierce
LilMsPuddles
Freestyles
dajewel
Corygentri
truet
HumanNature
Juices-n-Berries
Intelligentbeauty
sweetdrk1
Courtie
AfrikanLatina
Curly Film Chick
NylaCoils
adiaha
ChrsLvsBks
Lynnieluve
traveljunkie08
38 posters

Page 11 of 18 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14 ... 18  Next

Go down

**traveljunkie08** - Page 11 Empty Re: **traveljunkie08**

Post by Lynnieluve 27th January 2010, 3:34 pm

Based on the pic, your twist out it gonna be awesome!!! Cant wait to see it!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaha 27th January 2010, 3:40 pm

I love that, I will definitely try that one day but since it takes me so long to do a simple head of two strands I'll wait awhile before trying but I definitel like the result.
adiaha
adiaha

Back to top Go down

Post by curly+kinky+fierce 27th January 2010, 3:47 pm

Hey! just checking in with ya! Looks like ur doing fab!!! i too have been limiting myself on the hair boards (YT is still a work in progress)..i was getting a bit too excessive ...but cant wait to see ur pics when i get home!
curly+kinky+fierce
curly+kinky+fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 27th January 2010, 3:51 pm

@Lynn: I hope so!

@adiaha: LOL, you'll get faster over time. I don't think doing three strand twists take any more time than two strands once you get the hang of it.

@CKF: Girl, yes, this hair thing can be a serious addiction. I watched YouTube videos most of the day on Sunday. No I'm already over my limit for today...
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 30th January 2010, 3:52 pm

If you recall, several posts back, I mentioned how I threw out my coconut oil because I thought I was allergic to it. Well, I have continued to break out in an itchy rash and hives, and at times, it feels like my scalp and skin are literally on fire. I've had to take antihistamines almost every night and cortisone cream has become my lotion. I've been going through a process of elimination and doing Google searches on ingredients, and I have FINALLY determined the culprit: mango butter. Let me explain.

I am highly allergic to poison ivy. I mean, severely allergic. My mom reminded me of this. What causes poison ivy (and poisons oak and sumac) allergies is urushiol. Urushiol can be found in plants of the Anacardiaceae family. Plants in this family (in addition to poison ivy and sumac) include cashew, pistachio, marula, smoke tree and mango. I was aware of an allergy to cashews and pistachios, but I didn't know it was because they were related to poison ivy. And I certainly didn't know mangoes were related to poison ivy. That explains EVERYTHING.

The two products I've been using that contain mango butter are KBB's hair butter and Koils by Nature (which I just started using last week). Obviously I can no longer use either, so I'll be giving them away. Sad

If you're allergic to poisons ivy, oak or sumac, beware of mango butter. Perhaps if your allergy isn't as severe as mine, you can still use it. But if you are as allergic as I am, it's best to stay away from it.

In other news, here's the three strand twist out result. I was in a hurry so just snapped a quick pic of the back. The sides were pinned back.

**traveljunkie08** - Page 11 Gedc0913

Last edited by traveljunkie08 on 30th January 2010, 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added pic)
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 30th January 2010, 4:02 pm

traveljunkie08 wrote:If you recall, several posts back, I mentioned how I threw out my coconut oil because I thought I was allergic to it. Well, I have continued to break out in an itchy rash and hives, and at times, it feels like my scalp and skin are literally on fire. I've had to take antihistamines almost every night and cortisone cream has become my lotion. I've been going through a process of elimination and doing Google searches on ingredients, and I have FINALLY determined the culprit: mango butter. Let me explain.

I am highly allergic to poison ivy. I mean, severely allergic. My mom reminded me of this. What causes poison ivy (and poisons oak and sumac) allergies is urushiol. Urushiol can be found in plants of the Anacardiaceae family. Plants in this family (in addition to poison ivy and sumac) include cashew, pistachio, marula, smoke tree and mango. I was aware of an allergy to cashews and pistachios, but I didn't know it was because they were related to poison ivy. And I certainly didn't know mangoes were related to poison ivy. That explains EVERYTHING.

The two products I've been using that contain mango butter are KBB's hair butter and Koils by Nature (which I just started using last week). Obviously I can no longer use either, so I'll be giving them away. Sad

If you're allergic to poisons ivy, oak or sumac, beware of mango butter. Perhaps if your allergy isn't as severe as mine, you can still use it. But if you are as allergic as I am, it's best to stay away from it.

Allergic to ivies Soror. Lol. I had to... I love you I hope you are feeling better and I'm glad you finally determined the culprit. I ordered some mango butter from BnB. I think I'll do a patch test first because I don't want to take any chances. So, now that you know it's the mango butter, are you gonna give coconut oil another shot?
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 30th January 2010, 4:21 pm

LOL! I know. Luckily the ivy I had to take care of wasn't poisonous. Very Happy

No, I'm not giving coconut oil another shot. My hair doesn't like it (makes it dry and crunchy), so I had been using it on my skin which is why I thought it was making me break out.

Patch testing is a good idea. If you haven't had issues with poison ivy, oak or sumac, then it may not bother you.
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 30th January 2010, 4:49 pm

I'm glad you found out what the culprit was. I wished I lived in St. Louis so I could take that KBB hair butter off your hands. LOL!!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 30th January 2010, 9:05 pm

I am so very happy you found out what was doing it. Allergies can be dangerous. I love the back of your hair...now can we see more. I am dying to try that 3 strand twist, but it looks so complicated
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 30th January 2010, 9:08 pm

Hair looks great and also glad you found out what was causing the problem.
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 31st January 2010, 7:26 pm

Glad you found out the culprit to your breakout!

Your twist out looks defined and gorgeous. I tried the three strand twist, each time it looked like a braid. I will keep trying.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 31st January 2010, 11:34 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:I'm glad you found out what the culprit was. I wished I lived in St. Louis so I could take that KBB hair butter off your hands. LOL!!!

I only had half of a sample size left, so it's not that much. I gave it and the KBN to my mom.

sweetdrk1 wrote:I am so very happy you found out what was doing it. Allergies can be dangerous. I love the back of your hair...now can we see more. I am dying to try that 3 strand twist, but it looks so complicated

Thanks! Sorry, I only took the one pic. You should try it. Once you get the hang of it, it's just as easy to do as a two strand twist.

BlondeByDesire wrote:Hair looks great and also glad you found out what was causing the problem.

Thanks!!! Very Happy

ChrsLvsBks wrote:Glad you found out the culprit to your breakout!

Your twist out looks defined and gorgeous. I tried the three strand twist, each time it looked like a braid. I will keep trying.
Thank you! And yes, keep trying!
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 31st January 2010, 11:37 pm

The results of your 3 strand twist out looks good. I cant really tell the difference. Can you?
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 1st February 2010, 12:06 am

[color=green]I was getting really bored with twists and twist outs, so I decided to try a roller set. After shampooing with HE Degunkify and conditioning w/ Sedal S.O.S., I used Lacio Lacio sealed w/ a little oil to set the curls. I rolled my hair with snap on magnetic rollers and re-rolled using on flexi-rods (to preserve overnight). Much to my surprise, the results were pretty decent. I was really, really surprised by how straight the roots were. It looked as though I had flat ironed them. My ends were smooth too, which also surprised me. My ends were so coily I had a very difficult time smoothing them over the rollers. I had to kinda twist my hair around the rollers. Anyway, here are a few pics.

**traveljunkie08** - Page 11 Gedc1010

**traveljunkie08** - Page 11 Gedc1011

Last edited by traveljunkie08 on 6th February 2010, 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed images of nephews)
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 1st February 2010, 12:12 am

Your roller set looks so good. I am gonna do one when I get ready to get my trim. Your nephews are so handsome. Which one hates going to the store with you because of your PJism?
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 1st February 2010, 12:16 am

Lynnieluve wrote:The results of your 3 strand twist out looks good. I cant really tell the difference. Can you?

Thanks! Yes, I can tell the difference. More definition for me with three strands vs. two.
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtney 1st February 2010, 10:25 am

TJ-Just checkin' in.
Love the roller set. Very pretty. Your hair looks so full and healthy. I can't wait to try that when I get more length.
By the way, your nephews are adorable Smile .
Courtney
Courtney

Back to top Go down

Post by vmichelle 1st February 2010, 12:01 pm

The roller set if FLAWLESS!!!
vmichelle
vmichelle

http://mynaturalme.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkrage 1st February 2010, 5:51 pm

HEy,

I love the rollerset. Your twistout was more defined. After reading NikG directions on how to three strand twist...I can do it with my eyes clothes now. At first, I had to concentrate SO hard to not braid, LOL! Her directions made sense to me.

Keep up the good work on your hair. I am trying a roller set this week. My hubby would probably be SO excited to see somewhat straight hair **traveljunkie08** - Page 11 Icon_smile .
Pinkrage
Pinkrage

http://www.fotki.com/pinkrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 1st February 2010, 5:59 pm

TJ--your braid out and roller set looks wonderful. I am sooo happy you found the culprit. Keep up the good work **traveljunkie08** - Page 11 Icon_biggrin
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by CocaColaCutie 1st February 2010, 6:50 pm

nice rollerset! it looks soo soft!
CocaColaCutie
CocaColaCutie

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 4th February 2010, 2:28 pm

Where are you friend??? Crying or Very sad
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 4th February 2010, 9:13 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:Your roller set looks so good. I am gonna do one when I get ready to get my trim. Your nephews are so handsome. Which one hates going to the store with you because of your PJism?

Thanks! It's the oldest one. Although he has started asking me what he needs for his hair (it's curly too). He told me he wants something w/o a bunch of chemicals in it. So I'm obviously rubbing off on him. Very Happy

Courtney wrote:TJ-Just checkin' in.
Love the roller set. Very pretty. Your hair looks so full and healthy. I can't wait to try that when I get more length.
By the way, your nephews are adorable Smile .

Thanks, Courtney! You probably have enough length already. Wink

vmichelle wrote:The roller set if FLAWLESS!!!

Thank you!

Pinkrage wrote:HEy,

I love the rollerset. Your twistout was more defined. After reading NikG directions on how to three strand twist...I can do it with my eyes clothes now. At first, I had to concentrate SO hard to not braid, LOL! Her directions made sense to me.

Keep up the good work on your hair. I am trying a roller set this week. My hubby would probably be SO excited to see somewhat straight hair **traveljunkie08** - Page 11 Icon_smile .

Thanks! And I'm glad you got the three strand twist!!! It's is def hard at first, but easy after you get the hang of it. I already posted on your thread, but it's worth repeating: LOVE your wavy bantu knot out!!! Very cute!

Intelligentbeauty wrote:TJ--your braid out and roller set looks wonderful. I am sooo happy you found the culprit. Keep up the good work **traveljunkie08** - Page 11 Icon_biggrin

Thanks, IB!!! Smile

CocaColaCutie wrote:nice rollerset! it looks soo soft!

Thanks! I'm pleased to report that it feels soft too. Smile
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 4th February 2010, 9:15 pm

Juices-n-Berries wrote:Where are you friend??? Crying or Very sad

I'm here. Just been trying to get the ball moving on some things and break my hair obsession. Very Happy
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 4th February 2010, 9:21 pm

Last night, I decided to try to revive my rollerset b/c it was starting to look a little rough after working out and hot, steamy showers. Razz I used Qhemet's BRBC (which instantly softened my hair) and did a bantu knot/pin curl-thingy. Turned out pretty well. Here are a few pics.

**traveljunkie08** - Page 11 Gedc1014

**traveljunkie08** - Page 11 Gedc1016

**traveljunkie08** - Page 11 Gedc1017

I think next week I'll do WnGs all week. scratch
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 18 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14 ... 18  Next