CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Freestyles: Self-Imposed Challenges!

+51
BajanPrincess82
LaToya28
jeanlouisangel
rayray19
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
krazy coils
anz30
SCRUG_A_LICIOUS
Sebastain13
KinkyNappyHappy
TerraD
Tamikac23
MahoganyCurls
Notthecoolmom
vmichelle
Stacye
FemmeFox
.:Eden:.
curly+kinky+fierce
MsJay1121
Corygentri
BlondeByDesire
Leila
SheeTacular
blondie
Juices-n-Berries
traveljunkie08
CocaColaCutie
NylaCoils
nmoultry
AfrikanLatina
Pi*Jay
HumanNature
adiaha
dajewel
Blackbeauty
d.denise
LilMsPuddles
sweetdrk1
BindyMac08
DanceOnTheSkylines
Preezie
Kea::curls
Courtie
Intelligentbeauty
tiashaunteé
lovesunshine17
lena73
ChrsLvsBks
Lynnieluve
Freestyles
55 posters

Page 10 of 22 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16 ... 22  Next

Go down

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Empty Re: Freestyles: Self-Imposed Challenges!

Post by Freestyles 5th January 2010, 6:54 pm

Sheetacular and Tiashauntee...do it, do it, do it!

My tips would be:

-Go in with your hair styled in the manner you'll wear it under your "girl" ex. Cornrows

-Take your own wig cap/liner, some BSS's charge extra for you to purchasea single one of theirs
-

Experiment with different styles, what looks horrible on display may look great on you and vice-versa

-Take your time selecting your girl, love her-not just like her!

-Remember, shopping for "girls" is hit or miss like shopping at an outlet mall-sometimes you'll come out with 10 girls you like, sometimes you end up with nothing.

@SheeTacular, take a look within this thread I posted a detailed "girl tutorial"I'll look through and find out the exact page to save you the hassle

@Tiashauntee, Don't be nervous! I like your cornrow and puff idea. I recently purchased a few puffs and ponys and may be experimenting with those after this challenge ends!

---Reese
Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Empty Re: Freestyles: Self-Imposed Challenges!

Post by Freestyles 5th January 2010, 7:45 pm

Sheetacular my "Girl Tutorial" is on page three of this thread!!!

---Reese
Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 5th January 2010, 8:06 pm

I can't believe that women twisted her mouth to tell you some garbage like that. My stylist years back told me I was crazy to go natural with my texture. Why are people so mean, especially once they are comfortable with you. Do they really think they are being helpful or just worried they are losing clients....lol Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Lol

PROVE HER WRONG. ONCE DONE, GO RIGHT TO HER SHOP AND SAY HA, HOW YOU LIKE ME NOW, SUCKER!!! AND WALK OUT.
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 5th January 2010, 8:44 pm

tiashauntee wrote:
SheeTacular_Napps wrote:Reese....I try honey I try to keep people laughing...glad I can make you smile.

I need tips on picking out some hair..I'm thinking about picking up a couple of 'girls' in the near future.

I went to go buy a girl...well half of one...I was nervous...It felt like buying condoms for the first time, LOL. But they did not have my color so I will have to go back. I was going to cornrow and rock a fake puff this month. I will save that for next month. Reese has encouraged me to branch out!

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Lol
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 5th January 2010, 10:27 pm

OMGoodness, I love the posts. Your girls are as always on point. I like Kreegan. The cut and shape looks good as is. I wouldn't suggest you change anything. Leave her just the way she is.

I was Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Icon_pale Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Affraid then Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Lol . Your friend was not nice--how dare she. The comments to her were funny. I am sorry it happened to you and glad it did not discourage you. Like Shee wrote, we can do a ridedownthere online on her.

@tia, you had me rolling with the buying condoms for the first time comment. Certain statements are so easily envisioned.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Freestyles 6th January 2010, 12:06 am

Great news!!!!

I called Sally's today...(I'm so impatient) and my CURLFORMERS ARRIVE THURSDAY!
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 678474

**Bad news: One of my curlformer packs (10 short and wide) was on backorder, so they cancelled it, thus cancelling my 20% discount. However, Sally's redeemed themselves by offering an online coupon (20%) to make up for the backorder.

So now that I know (hopefully there will be no shipping glitches), here are my revamped hair plans:

Wednesday AM: Allow Henna dye to release during the day while at work Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Icon_bounce
Purchase setting lotion and or/heat protectant Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Icon_scratch

Wednesday PM: Apply Henna 4-6 hours, rest, rinse. Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Sleep

Thursday AM: Apply indigo 2 hours, rinse. (Early AM) Twist to dry Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Icon_flower

Thursday PM: Twistout???? Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Icon_geek

Friday AM: Deep Condition under girl while while at work Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Icon_queen

Friday PM: Set in Curlformers after work, sleep if possible, if not, under the dryer I go! Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Icon_tongue

Saturday AM: The big Curlformer reveal!!!! Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 879602

BTW, Hair still feels moisturized after the AussieMoist, I think it's a keeper!

---Reese Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Icon_rr
Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 6th January 2010, 12:14 am

I love Aussie Moist!!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 6th January 2010, 1:04 am

I haven't used Aussie Moist since being all natural. During my transition, it was okay, but I'm curious to try it again. I think it'll be the first condish I try after I use up all my other ones.
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 6th January 2010, 1:32 am

It's one of those conditioners that work on most curlies hair...all textures.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 6th January 2010, 2:14 am

Ya'll are really tempting me with this Aussie Moist. But I refuse to buy anymore conditioners for a while. Esp since I have my AO on the way.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaha 6th January 2010, 2:19 am

I saw Aussie moist in the grocery store today (because although I went for two food items I couldnt resist going down the hair care section). Anyway the Aussie moist was on sale for like 1.50. I almost bought it but Im trying to keep my PJism in check. Now I may have to go back and get it with all these raving reviews.

Reese, I love today's girl. I like her highlights.
adiaha
adiaha

Back to top Go down

Post by Freestyles 6th January 2010, 2:28 am

$1.50? What grocery store is that? I wonder if we have the sale in Florida? Spill the beans Sis! Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 879602

Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freestyles 6th January 2010, 9:35 am

DAY#26

I mixed up my henna this morning (with orange juice and cinnamon) and will allow the dye to release while at work today. I'll apply the henna tonight and follow with the indigo in the early morning hours! Yeepee!

I"ll have to take my time unbraiding these cornrows that are four weeks old! A boy, let me tell you - they look 12 weeks old! A fuzzy, hot mess!
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Icon_geek

So my camera battery died at the most inopportune(spellcheck?) time...NOW! I need to charge up the battery. I will have to bring today's girl to you later this evening!

Stay tuned!
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 617583

Here's an oldie but goodie to tide you over, lol! Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Lol

Her name is Sassy! This pic was taken about 6 months and 30 lbs ago, lol!!! Gotta get this weight off!

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0016
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0017

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0018

Enjoy your day!!!

Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 6th January 2010, 10:57 am

ooooooo, I like Sassy. I don't think I've seen a girl yet that doesn't look good on you, lol.

What weight? You look beautiful in that pic!
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Freestyles 6th January 2010, 11:59 am

Thanks Tia! I've gained about 30lbs since that pic! My weight is constantly up and down! I'm a yo-yo dieter/binger, I usually gain and lose the same 30-40lbs three or four times a year. Horrible huh? I'm determined to get it off and keep it off this year! Healthly hair and healthy bodies seem like they should go hand and hand, right?

---Reese
Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 6th January 2010, 12:26 pm

Sassy is working it! This is one of my faves!
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 6th January 2010, 1:10 pm

I like Sassy too! Would have loved to see the braids **giggling**
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 6th January 2010, 1:40 pm

Ditto! Sassy is one of my faves too!

So, when are you joining the no buy/use your stash challenge???
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 6th January 2010, 1:57 pm

Freestyles- I am a stalker of your journey! Your girls never cease to amaze me! As a result of you wearing yours- you have inspired me to shake the dust off my girls! You are rockin- Sassy!
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Leila 6th January 2010, 2:00 pm

Wow Freestyles i loved reading your thread and yes your girls are all gorgious like everyone said. But one thing i came out with you got me beat on the products......this means i can go crazy without feeling guilty cause im still green lol. Please keep up the good work youre joy to read and follow Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Icon_biggrin

Leila

Back to top Go down

Post by CocaColaCutie 6th January 2010, 2:21 pm

oooh, i can't wait for the curlfomer reveal. i'm marking my calendar!
CocaColaCutie
CocaColaCutie

Back to top Go down

Post by SheeTacular 6th January 2010, 3:01 pm

@ tia I totally understand "buying condoms for the first time" feeling. I was looking at wigs the other day and the lady said may I help you. I said "no just looking". I was out the store in under 3 minutes...what gives...lol

Thanks Reese. I will read carefully.
SheeTacular
SheeTacular

http://www.ThoughtsInspirationsEtc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SheeTacular 6th January 2010, 3:15 pm

Freestyles wrote:
“Girl Tutorial” Especially For IntelligentBeauty:

***Disclaimer: For those of you that aren’t familiar with me…I call my wigs my “girls.” So I use the words interchangeably!I name most of them too! LOL! I am by no means an expert, but I do own a lot, and I mean a lot, of girls! This is just my routine and opinions as requested by IntelligentBeauty… but posted for all to enjoy! I’ve attached corresponding photos below in case any of my descriptions are unclear. Any questions? Ask away!

Reese’s Girl Regimen (A.K.A. Reese’s Wig Regimen)
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 678474

Girl Selection Tips: Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Icon_queen

1.) Decide on Whether to Purchase a Full, ¾, ½ , or Lacefront Girl

___a. Full- None of your hair exposed; no need to blend your hair so great for changing hair texture/color temporarily

___b.¾- Covers most of your hair, allowing just a small amount of hairline to be exposed

___c. ½-Usually requires blending your hair with the girl to provide a fluid appearance

___d.Lacefront- I only own a few synthetic lacefronts so I don’t have much experience with these. I have never used glues or tape, I simply apply lacefronts like any of my other girls. I may invest in a custom human hair lacefront in the near future.

2.) Select Synthetic or Human

___a. Synthetic girls are usually less expensive than human hair girls

___b.For daily use for an extended period, go with a quality human hair girl. More expensive but will last much longer than a synthetic wig

___c. Synthetic girls tangle faster than human hair. In addition, no heat can applied to synthetic girls. What you see is what you get.

3.) Beware of Color/Texture Choices

___a. If exposing some of your hairline, try your best to make it believable!

___b.Curly or long girls are easiest to camouflage wigs lines on ¾ and ½ girls by pulling hair forward.

4.) Go for Comfort

___a. Comb Attachments- Some girls are secured with combs, if worried about your girl flying off in the wind, lol, this is your best choice. Some people find combs irritating, some people prefer combs. If you like combs and find a wig you like without a comb, sew some in. (see pic below)

___b. Drawstrings- Allow you to tighten/adjust your girl comfortably around your head, you determine the tension level. Most drawstring girls serve a double function: wig or ponytail.

___c. Adjustable Bands- Elastic bands (look like bra straps, usually in the back of the wig) that allow you to vary the fit, by connecting the “hook” to one of a series of attached “loops”

___d. Sizes- Sometimes wigs come in various sizes. I have a large head so some girls just don’t work for me. A great rule of thumb if wigs aren’t sized is to assume it’s a medium. Trial and error will help you judge your head size. Just like shoes, not all girls fit the same way.

5.) Invest in a “Girl Head/Stand”

___a. Styrofoam stands help to keep the shape of your girls

___b. Keep girls in place on Styrofoam stands with T-Pins

___c. Plastic Portable stands are great for drying wet girls

6.) Shop Around

___a. I’m a regular at my local Beauty Supply Stores, when I walk in the door they already know what I want

___b.Shop online for girls and accessories

---------------i. My favorite site is Hairsisters.com, b/c of affordability, selection, and Paypal! But there are many sites all over the web.

---------------ii. I suggest shopping online only after trying a few girls on in person first to get a feel of what exactly you are looking for

Girl Application Tips: Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Icon_geek

1.) Braid, Twist, or Cornrow Hair(medium to small)

___a. I usually leave my braids hanging and apply shea butter nightly to give my ends extra love. Other people like to braid their ends tucked “up.”

___b.Determine whether you intend to rebraid weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, etc.

___c. I usually attempt to keep cornrows in for two weeks to a month, providing care for my tresses while in braids (co-washing, deep conditioning, oil pre-poos, moisturizing, etc), but closely watching for matting in the process.

2.) Leave Out a Section of Your Front Hairline for a Natural Appearance (Omit this step if wearing a full head or lacefront girl)

___a. Loosely braid/twist/cornrow hair

___b.Gel and/or tie down edges

___c. Watch for product build-up, I usually apply the most products to this section of my hair so I shampoo that section weekly, co-washing the rest.

3.) Add Moisture

___a. Use a leave in, homemade spritz, moisturizer, shea butter or water

4.) Always Use a Wig Liner

___a. When wearing a lacefront, I use a brown liner, to simulate the look of my scalp, otherwise I stick with black, usually nylon

___b.If wearing a ½ or ¾ girl, push liner back slightly behind hairline

___c. Liners usually cut down on hair friction

5.) Apply Girl!

___a. Place your girl, and style! Fluff, comb, brush, tease, WHATEVER!

___b. I never apply product to my girls, but some “girl wearer” like to use mousse, oil sheen, etc.

___c. For ¾ and ½ girls, blend hairline, use headband, or camouflage wigline.

Additional Girl Tips: Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Icon_farao

1.) Never Allow Your Girl to Cause You to Neglect Your Precious Tresses!

___a. Out of sight out of mind does not apply here! Make sure to give your tresses lots of love and attention. If you neglect your hair, it will neglect you too in return.

___b. Moisturize, Condition, Deep Condition, Clarify, and Shampoo if Necessary

___c. Pay Special Attention to your hairline to avoid hairline stress

___d.Don’t wear girls that are too tight, they may cause headaches and it’s just not worth wearing an uncomfortable wig.

2.) Time Crunch?...Take Advantage of Your Girl!

___a. Wigs are a great way to deep condition your hair in secret underneath! Use a shower/plastic cap and add a wig liner on top to secure and prevent drips.

___b.Consider using an oil pre-poo under your wig

___c. Consider using henna or indigo under your wig

___d.Wigs are fabulous solutions for bad hair days! Girls are just like hats!

3.) Maintain your Girl

___a. Wash your girl

---------------i. If applicable, brush hair prior to wetting (not curly styles)

---------------ii. I use my old “creamy crack/relaxer” shampoos on all of my girls. (Great way to get rid of them without throwing them out!)

---------------iii. Dish detergent works fine on synthetic girls when on a budget

---------------iv. Add shampoo to lukewarm(or cold) water in basin, swirl girl around in the water without manipulating, let sit undisturbed in basin for a few minutes, rinse off in cold water.

---------------v. NO HOT WATER! Hot water tends to cause tangles and matting.

___
b.Condition your girl

---------------i. Recently used tip I found online: use a few drops of fabric softener in basin of lukewarm/cool water to condition synthetic wigs. Sounds odd, but it actually works!

---------------ii. Any conditioner works for human hair girls, I sometimes skip conditioning on my girls. (use the same method for shampooing for the rinse)

___c. Properly dry your girl

--------------i. Invest in a portable girl stand to allow for proper drying, shouldn’t cost more than $5

---------------ii. Do not manipulate girl until fully dried

4.) Make Sure You Allow Your Hair to Breathe

___a. Though fabulous tools, girls are not made to be worn 24/7.

___b.Be sure to properly care for your hair and DO NOT wear your girl to bed!

___c. Do not leave your hair wet underneath your girls for extended periods of time (i.e. days…). Personally I go with an 8 hour maximum as a rule of thumb. Hair can mold!

5.) Cut Down on Shine

___a. Cornstarch lightly sprinkled on synthetic girls take away some of the shine, allowing for a less “wiggy” look, especially for straight-styled synthetic wigs

6.) Adding Weave Tracks

___a. I sometimes sew a few yaki tracks into my girls to acheive a more realistic look. I do this for some of my short cut straight girls

7.) Have Fun!

___a. Experiment different colors, highlights, cuts, long, short, mid-length, wavy, nappy, curly, and straight girls, the list goes on and on. Enjoy your girls and play around with textures!

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 879602 Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 617583 Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 678474 Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 879602 Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 617583 Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 678474

Braid or Twist
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0119
Section Off Hairline
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0418
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0417

Smooth Hairline
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0419
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0421
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0511

Remove All Head Coverings:
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0513

Apply Wig Liner
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0514
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0515
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0516
Apply Girl (This is Avah! She's a 3/4 Girl with comb attachments!)
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0517
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0518
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0519
Blend Hairline
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0520
Done!
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0610
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0611
Pin Back if you like...
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0521
Photo Notes:
Portable Girl Stand
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0538
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0523
Comb Attachments
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0524
T-Pins
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0525
Drawstring as Wig
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0526
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0528
Drawstring as Ponytail
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0527
Elastic Bands
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0529
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0530
Full Girl
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0531
1/2 Girl
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0532
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0533
3/4 Girl
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0534
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0535
Lace Front
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0536
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0537

HOPE YOU ENJOYED.....
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Img_0613

This is great. Thanks so murch!! (in Madea's voice)
SheeTacular
SheeTacular

http://www.ThoughtsInspirationsEtc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaha 6th January 2010, 6:51 pm

Reese, it was Winn Dixie. Im not sure where they have them but I know they have it some parts of Florida.

I like Sassy today as well. I think Im going to have to get a girl one day but she'll definitely be curly because I dont think the contrasting textures will work for me. You work it well girl. I feel you on the up and down weight thing. Thats so me and its annoying. We can work on it together because Im tired of being up its, lets get thin in 2010 (Lame Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Icon_lol ).
adiaha
adiaha

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 6th January 2010, 9:02 pm

Freestyle, you always keep us guessing, what wig is she going to wear today...lol. I don't think I have seen you wear the same wig twice since you been on here...lol. Do you have like 1 room dedicated to wigs?

Love it!!! Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 10 Icon_biggrin
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 22 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16 ... 22  Next