CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coconut oil...

+22
Moni
mykelmarie
tamtam7
nmoultry
bella gee
loveself247
natural83
xtremelyperfect
Rock'n Natural Curls
naturaltresses1211
veggiegirl314
tiashaunteƩ
StealMyHeartLovee
gammainme
feelinme
Iomer
NappyJer19
krenea
sweetdrk1
ActionActress
dajewel
CurlyDoesIt...
26 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Coconut oil... - Page 2 Empty Re: Coconut oil...

Post by CurlyDoesIt... 27th October 2009, 2:21 pm

Wow...I am convinced. Thanks for the detailed information [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
CurlyDoesIt...
CurlyDoesIt...

Back to top Go down

Post by naturaltresses1211 27th October 2009, 11:31 pm

ActionActress wrote:
veggiegirl314 wrote:Just a fair warning to those who choose to eat coconut oil. It's VERY high in saturated fat, so if you have high cholesterol, you might want to use it only on your head and not in your tummy [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Ah it is a vegetable saturated fat, not animal. I have lost 32lbs by it. Coconut oil, contains MCT medium chain fatty acids that the body easily absorbs into the body and turn into energy. Coconut oil increases the metabolism of the body and also decreases your appetite level.

There is more information here: http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/ There has been much misconception about coconut oil and it's usage in one diet. Coconut oil, milk, and meat have been used for thousands of years in the Pacific Islands and Asia and they have a tendency to be on the slim side and very, very little cardio vascular problems. Cholesterol is in check with coconut oil also.

Here is an except, there are universities studies on the site to look up at ones own leisure:

Coconut In Modern Medicine

Modern medical science is now confirming the use of coconut in treating many of the above conditions. Published studies in medical journals show that coconut, in one form or another, may provide a wide range of health benefits. Some of these are summarized below:

• Kills viruses that cause influenza, herpes, measles, hepatitis C, SARS, AIDS, and other illnesses.

• Kills bacteria that cause ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infections, gum disease and cavities, pneumonia, and gonorrhea, and other diseases.

• Kills fungi and yeasts that cause candidiasis, ringworm, athlete's foot, thrush, diaper rash, and other infections.

• Expels or kills tapeworms, lice, giardia, and other parasites.

• Provides a nutritional source of quick energy.

• Boosts energy and endurance, enhancing physical and athletic performance.

• Improves digestion and absorption of other nutrients including vitamins, minerals, and amino acids.

• Improves insulin secretion and utilization of blood glucose.

• Relieves stress on pancreas and enzyme systems of the body.

• Reduces symptoms associated with pancreatitis.

• Helps relieve symptoms and reduce health risks associated with diabetes.

• Reduces problems associated with malabsorption syndrome and cystic fibrosis.

• Improves calcium and magnesium absorption and supports the development of strong bones and teeth.

• Helps protect against osteoporosis.

• Helps relieve symptoms associated with gallbladder disease.

• Relieves symptoms associated with Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, and stomach ulcers.

• Improves digestion and bowel function.

• Relieves pain and irritation caused by hemorrhoids.

• Reduces inflammation.

• Supports tissue healing and repair.

• Supports and aids immune system function.

• Helps protect the body from breast, colon, and other cancers.

• Is heart healthy; improves cholesterol ratio reducing risk of heart disease.

• Protects arteries from injury that causes atherosclerosis and thus protects against heart disease.

• Helps prevent periodontal disease and tooth decay.

• Functions as a protective antioxidant.

• Helps to protect the body from harmful free radicals that promote premature aging and degenerative disease.

• Does not deplete the body's antioxidant reserves like other oils do.

• Improves utilization of essential fatty acids and protects them from oxidation.

• Helps relieve symptoms associated with chronic fatigue syndrome.

• Relieves symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia (prostate enlargement).

• Reduces epileptic seizures.

• Helps protect against kidney disease and bladder infections.

• Dissolves kidney stones.

• Helps prevent liver disease.

• Is lower in calories than all other fats.

• Supports thyroid function.

• Promotes loss of excess weight by increasing metabolic rate.

• Is utilized by the body to produce energy in preference to being stored as body fat like other dietary fats.

• Helps prevent obesity and overweight problems.

• Applied topically helps to form a chemical barrier on the skin to ward of infection.

• Reduces symptoms associated the psoriasis, eczema, and dermatitis.

• Supports the natural chemical balance of the skin.

• Softens skin and helps relieve dryness and flaking.

• Prevents wrinkles, sagging skin, and age spots.

• Promotes healthy looking hair and complexion.

• Provides protection form damaging effects of ultraviolet radiation form the sun.

• Helps control dandruff.

• Does not form harmful by-products when heated to normal cooking temperature like other vegetable oils do.

• Has no harmful or discomforting side effects.

• Is completely non-toxic to humans.

This is awesome information! Would you mind sharing how you used coconut oil to lose your 32lbs???
naturaltresses1211
naturaltresses1211

http://www.theperfectnegative.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rock'n Natural Curls 29th October 2009, 6:15 pm

My coconut earl came today! It smells yummy! I have to remember that it is for my hur! By the by, Ms. Nikki, is there any way the time stamp can be corrected; I was always told that I was ahead of my time, but...[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Thank you again for this forum.
Rock'n Natural Curls
Rock'n Natural Curls

http://www.bridgitshairboutique.com

Back to top Go down

Post by xtremelyperfect 30th October 2009, 5:15 pm

Ok ladies. I have just recently started using coconut oil:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

and it's great but it's solid... I have to scrape it to get it out of the jar. How do you deal with this? I know people whip shea butter. Is there a way to whip coconut oil? Or do you just keep it as is?
xtremelyperfect
xtremelyperfect

http://fuckyeahnadia.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gammainme 30th October 2009, 5:18 pm

@xtremelyperfect- sometimes i experience this too, i just put the jar in a bowl filled w/ hot water and that does the trick.
gammainme
gammainme

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 30th October 2009, 5:20 pm

u should try to put it in smaller containers so that the whole lot doesn't get tainted...coconut oil goes rancid very quickly.

don't know about turning it to liquid, but once it turns to liquid, put it in the smaller containers. that way, you can just pop it out of the smaller containers, and warm it up with body temp.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by krenea 30th October 2009, 5:23 pm

I always keep a plastic fork/spoon underneath my sink and use them to get my coconut oil out of the jar. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
krenea
krenea

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteĆ© 30th October 2009, 5:24 pm

dajewel wrote:u should try to put it in smaller containers so that the whole lot doesn't get tainted...coconut oil goes rancid very quickly.

Good to know!! I will be doing this now....I hate waste
tiashaunteƩ
tiashaunteƩ

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 4th November 2009, 1:30 am

So ladies....I have a question. Do most of you use the solid coconut oil or the liquid kind? I had planned to get the liquid kind...which is best? I already use shea butter on my hair for moisture, but I haven't been using the coconut oil. Where do most of you guys get yours and what brands are best, or does it matter....as long as its coconut!!!??? LOL! Just curious!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by krenea 4th November 2009, 1:47 am

I purchase virgin coconut oil from Whole Foods for $6.99 for a 16 oz glass jar. It's solid when I purchase it, but if the bathroom gets warm enough, the oil will melt, then solidify once again when the temperature drops. It's been mild here, so the jar I have has remained solid. I've been using the handle of my denman brush (my plastic forks and spoons keep breaking!) to get the oil out of the jar so that it doesn't go rancid. Apparently, coconut oil can do that if you're not careful. Whether solid or liquified, it works wonderfully well for me. It its solid form, it melts immediately once you rub your hands together. I dont' think it matter so much as to which brand you choose, as long as it's virgin or extra virgin. I buy virgin because it's cheaper.
krenea
krenea

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 4th November 2009, 1:51 am

krenea wrote:I purchase virgin coconut oil from Whole Foods for $6.99 for a 16 oz glass jar. It's solid when I purchase it, but if the bathroom gets warm enough, the oil will melt, then solidify once again when the temperature drops. It's been mild here, so the jar I have has remained solid. I've been using the handle of my denman brush (my plastic forks and spoons keep breaking!) to get the oil out of the jar so that it doesn't go rancid. Apparently, coconut oil can do that if you're not careful. Whether solid or liquified, it works wonderfully well for me. It its solid form, it melts immediately once you rub your hands together. I dont' think it matter so much as to which brand you choose, as long as it's virgin or extra virgin. I buy virgin because it's cheaper.

Got it! Thanks for the info!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 4th November 2009, 2:11 am

Hey natural83,,, I use "Now" brand Coconut oil and most if it comes in a solid form but it will melt at warm room temp or if you set it on the stove. But as dajewel said, you must put some in a different container or use a plastic spoon as krenea suggested so you don't contaminate your product.

Stop playin and get over to Whole Foods to get your coconut oil lady...lol
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 4th November 2009, 2:15 am

loveself247 wrote:Hey natural83,,, I use "Now" brand Coconut oil and most if it comes in a solid form but it will melt at warm room temp or if you set it on the stove. But as dajewel said, you must put some in a different container or use a plastic spoon as krenea suggested so you don't contaminate your product.

Stop playin and get over to Whole Foods to get your coconut oil lady...lol

Hahahaha...you know what, Im going to make a trip to Whole Foods just for you! LOL! I was wondering because I've seen coconut oil in the liquid form, and that's what I prefer, but everybody's been getting the solid form, so I guess that's what I will do if that's better. Guess I will add that to my list of hair items!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 4th November 2009, 2:20 am

There you go. Girl I was online today and the product feen in me kicked in and I ordered Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Butter Cream and the Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm. Will let you know how they work for me.

By the way, what color Hena did you purchase? I'm going to wait on your result before I order some lol... Just want to make sure I get the right stuff. Nikki advised me to get the Jamila 2009 and some Indigo.
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 4th November 2009, 2:25 am

loveself247 wrote:There you go. Girl I was online today and the product feen in me kicked in and I ordered Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Butter Cream and the Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm. Will let you know how they work for me.

By the way, what color Hena did you purchase? I'm going to wait on your result before I order some lol... Just want to make sure I get the right stuff. Nikki advised me to get the Jamila 2009 and some Indigo.

I got the Jamila 2009 Henna...oh wow, didn't get any color to go with it! Okay see, I was thinking it came with it! As you can see, Im new to this henna stuff! So was I supossed to order some indigo too???? LOL!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 4th November 2009, 2:28 am

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Girl you know I don't know! I just know what Nikki said, shoot her a message to see what she says. I think to it would depend on what results you want.
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 4th November 2009, 2:33 am

loveself247 wrote:lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Girl you know I don't know! I just know what Nikki said, shoot her a message to see what she says. I think to it would depend on what results you want.

LMBAOOOO! Girl I am trippin out because Im like INDIGO??? WTH, and did I miss something??? Hahahahaha...so glad that we have this blog, to ask questions! Yeah, I think I will shoot Nikki a message and see if I needed to have gotten that also...if so, I need to order it tonight because I want to have everything ready so that I can do the treatment! My henna should be here by the end of the week. Hadn't planned on doing it this weekend, but maybe at the beginning of next week because im sooo anxious to try it.
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 4th November 2009, 3:10 am

Yeah, it can't hurt to ask. Or ask some of the other ladies who have done the treatments what they used.
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 4th November 2009, 3:19 am

I was under the impression that all i needed was the Jamila Henna, green tea, and honey! I thought your hair will tint automatically from the henna and you can just add color if you were wanting a lighter shade. I don't know though...I could have it wrong. I just asked Nikki about it on one of the threads, so Im sure she will reply back. Or somebody else who knows cuz Im totally new to this, so I need all the questions and solutions answered before I try this stuff! Would hate to have a "Horrible Henna Head" ya know!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by krenea 4th November 2009, 3:49 am

You will see that your hair will be red in the sun, but indoors, it will still appear to be the color that it is before henna was applyed. Using indigo following a henna treatment will dye the hair black. There are no options for color choices with henna; it's just red. If you purchased just the Jamila, then you have all that you need. When my first order came, there were good-quality latex gloves included. Tea and honey are all you need to henna though, although many people add olive oil to their mixtures, too.
krenea
krenea

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 4th November 2009, 4:10 am

natural83,,,I think Nikki advised me to get indigo because of my current hair color and that she advised the indigo so I could get one uniform color. I have no idea what my hair color is now lol....

loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by Rock'n Natural Curls 4th November 2009, 8:35 am

More important than color combination is whether it is safe to put Henna over relaxed hair. I am not sure myself but I am sure CN would know Smile
Rock'n Natural Curls
Rock'n Natural Curls

http://www.bridgitshairboutique.com

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 4th November 2009, 1:18 pm

krenea wrote:You will see that your hair will be red in the sun, but indoors, it will still appear to be the color that it is before henna was applyed. Using indigo following a henna treatment will dye the hair black. There are no options for color choices with henna; it's just red. If you purchased just the Jamila, then you have all that you need. When my first order came, there were good-quality latex gloves included. Tea and honey are all you need to henna though, although many people add olive oil to their mixtures, too.

Okay! That's what I thought! So Im good to go...all I need to get is my green tea and honey! Thanks girl!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 4th November 2009, 1:23 pm

loveself247 wrote:natural83,,,I think Nikki advised me to get indigo because of my current hair color and that she advised the indigo so I could get one uniform color. I have no idea what my hair color is now lol....

Your hair is really pretty! I've never done bantu knots! I need to look at a youtube video and learn!!! Anyhoo...everybody's been telling me that I won't need any color to add, and that the Jamila Henna will be enough because over night it will release color. So that's good to know. All I have to do now is get my green tea and honey, and wait for the Henna to arrive! I can't wait to do it! I'll keep ya posted!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 4th November 2009, 1:36 pm

natural83 Thanks for the compliment, I'm trying to get my hair like yours lol. It took me a while to master the bantu knots. But, best believe everyday I wake up to take them down I'm worried if they will come out right. So we will see how they come out today,,,if they come out good I will post a pic. But if they come out a hot mess then you already know what it is,,,,lol.

Ok so it's good to know you have thee right Henna,,,,and make sure you get that unrefined virgin Coconut Oil from Whole Foods the Now brand is $7.99.
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next