CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I have some questions,PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

5 posters

Go down

I have some questions,PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!! Empty I have some questions,PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Post by Tiffy2 13th December 2009, 1:56 pm

I did my BC on friday and I need answers to a few questions. first-why won't my hair stay curly? the only time it's curly is when I wet it. then I put this growth oil in my hair called Long Aid Hair Revitalizer. it has other good oils in it. but when I wake up in the morning,my hair is bone dry and sticking up.now it's itching real bad and has dirt under my nails.Is that build up? what should I do about it? and should I NOT use this oil anymore? second-I'm going to the beauty supply store today and I need to know the basic things I need for my hair? I went to Wal-Mart 2:30 this morning to get my Herbal Essences HH. I seen the ladies here talking alot about different butters,so I was going to get some of that also. I was also gonna get a spray bottle so I can put some green tea in it to give my hair moisture when it needs it. Last-I was thinking about mixing some EVOO and Avocado together for a DC. I wanted to do this once a week. is this a good idea?
Tiffy2
Tiffy2

https://facebook.com/cherrikissez

Back to top Go down

I have some questions,PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!! Empty Re: I have some questions,PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Post by jlowman1 13th December 2009, 6:41 pm

From what you described, it seems like you have alot of buildup. Maybe you are using too much of this oil. Try using lighter oils such as sweet almond, avacado, and jojoba. I would also try a clarifying shampoo like Giovanni 50/50. It gets all the gunk out without making your hair feel stripped.

I've also heard of using apple cider vinegar rinses to clarify but I have not personally done this myself so Im not sure how it works...

Hope this helps!

Last edited by jlowman1 on 13th December 2009, 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling error)
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

I have some questions,PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!! Empty Re: I have some questions,PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Post by Kea::curls 13th December 2009, 7:04 pm

hi there! i believe many people have problems with moisture, especially when they first BC. I cannot answer all of your questions, but can help w/some:

1. yes, that sounds like build-up...so before you add any other products to your hair, you definitely need to clarify first. I agree w/jlowman in that i've heard good things about Giovanni 50/50, also. Be very gentle with shampooing your hair and you should only need to do this once. Shampoos can be very drying. ***Apple cider vinegar rinses in combination with Baking Soda+ conditioner work also (but if you are ready to clarify right now, i would save this for another time, because you have to be very specific about the amount of baking soda you use & you should do more research about this method before using it)

2. after that, you can co-wash with HE Hello Hydration Conditioner. I learned how to best retain moisture during my co-washes (washing with conditioner instead of shampoo) by watching Mahogany Curls' you tube videos. Here is the link to a video that should get you started:

this is her youtube video that explains basics on how she takes care of her hair:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MahoganyCurls#p/u/26/chzND2TIve0

3. i personally only use 100% organic & unrefined oils, so i don't have to worry about the other extra ingredients that may lead to build-up. These extra ingredients may also lessen the moisturizing effect of the oil. the only ingredient in my olive oil is 100% olive oil Smile you can experiment to see which oils & butters your prefer. However, your oils/butters are used to seal in moisture (after you have already applied your leave in). If you do this in the opposite order, it can lead to dry hair.

Hope this helps!
Kea::curls
Kea::curls

http://public.fotki.com/KeaCurls/

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 13th December 2009, 7:23 pm

I started my natural journey with a TWA- I mostly cowashed and applied whipped shea. My suggestion is to try things. What works for some doesn't work for everyone. For example, my hair hates coconut oil!
Avocado is a a protein- I know I am protein sensitive because it causes my hair to feel like straw.

To clarify use - baking soda and water - I use an old dawn bottle. 2 Teaspoons of b soda and the rest water.

ACV- is used to restore the ph levels in your hair and adds bounce to the curls- my hair loves this!
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiffy2 13th December 2009, 8:17 pm

Thanks for the quick response guys! I just came back from the beauty supply store (after tossing that cheap hair oil in the trash) and I bought pure shea butter,wild growth oil, and a spray bottle. I didn't see any good leave ins I wanted to buy so I might try to make my own. OH YEAH! I used 1 tbs of baking soda and 1 cup of water to wash out the build up. and DC'd with the HE HH.Then followed up with the EVOO. my hair was nice and curly for half the day.but I had to put my stocking cap and wig on to go to the store,so I'm back semi greasy and dry! SMH......
Tiffy2
Tiffy2

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 14th December 2009, 1:30 pm

Good morning Tiffy2,

When I decided to go natural after my last weave install I used the water/baking soda rinse to remove the buildup and it did help. I shampoo my hair once a month and I use the apple cidar vinegar rinse when needed. Definitely use a leave in treatment after your co-washes. I'm currently using Healthy Sexy Hair's "Pumpkin Potion" that I found at TJ Maxx but I have recently bought Giovanni's Leave In Treatment ($5 @ TJ Maxx stores).

Don't forget to seal your ends with butters and oils and try to DC each time you co-wash. I baggy my entire head bc I get lazy. lol [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiffy2 15th December 2009, 4:56 am

I bought the Giovanni's 50/50,peppermint oil,aloe vera gel.I also bought the garnier fructis leave-in and mixed it with EVOO,and green tea.it kept my hair really curly all day.so far I've spent well over $60.00 on hair stuff.who knew this stuff would cost so much.....
Tiffy2
Tiffy2

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 22nd December 2009, 1:09 pm

This transition can get expensive so if you find something your hair likes, stick with it! There's no need to waste money on so many different products. You can use cheap conditioners for your co-washes such as Suave Naturals or VO5 Moisture Milks and then splurge and spoil yourself on deep conditioners or stylers.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiffy2 22nd December 2009, 2:18 pm

thanks for the tip Hamptonsfnst......
Tiffy2
Tiffy2

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 23rd December 2009, 1:16 pm

No problema chica. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down