CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deep conditioning after Henna

3 posters

Go down

Deep conditioning after Henna Empty Deep conditioning after Henna

Post by bpjedi 24th January 2011, 8:40 pm

Hi,

I'm in the midst of my very first henna treatment. I'm a rough sleeper, so I set up the henna late last night, and applied it around noon. (I work from home, and today was a light day.)

I was planning on taking the henna out after 5 or 6 hours, following with a deep conditioner for an hour or 2, and twisting it up before going to bed. I notice a lot of people seem to keep in deep conditioners on overnight. Unfortunately, I'm a rather rough sleeper, so leaving a deep conditioner on all night is asking for trouble.

Do I have to keep a deep conditioner on overnight following a henna treatment, or will a couple of hours suffice?

bpjedi
bpjedi

Back to top Go down

Deep conditioning after Henna Empty Re: Deep conditioning after Henna

Post by CarlaAR 24th January 2011, 11:08 pm

I only deep condition my hair for two hour max after washing out the henna and my hair is fine. I don't think I would want to sleep with wet hair/conditioner either.
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 24th January 2011, 11:17 pm

Ditto, the longest I keep a DC in is 2 hours and most times it's only an hour.
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Post by bpjedi 25th January 2011, 12:27 am

@CarlaAR, @ajsimmons8

Great! Thanks for the info. Here's hoping for good results from my first henna Smile
bpjedi
bpjedi

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 25th January 2011, 1:08 am

Keep us posted!
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by bpjedi 26th January 2011, 2:50 am

It went very well! My hair is naturally jet black with only a few grays (thanks Mom!), and I did a cocoa-henna treatment to avoid orange grays, to the color change was pretty minimal. Today was pretty cloudy, but I'll try to get the hub to take some photos if it is sunny tomorrow.

After the deep conditioning treatment, I put my hair in two-strand twists, my standby protective style. My hair is very shiny, and feels a bit smoother than usual. I also don't have nearly as many fairy knots as usual, which have been a major situation on my head despite the fact that I live in protective styles. I'm hoping to have less breakage.

Here's what I used:
50g henna
50g cocoa
5g cloves (ground)
5g cardamom seeds (ground)
3g cinnamon
2g powdered ginger
green tea
honey

I used Mumtaz henna powder from a local store. I probably should have sifted it first, but it worked out ok. Since I do have such dark hair, I might up the amount of henna I use next time. The ginger and cinnamon made the treatment pleasantly warm when I first put it in. I loved the smell, so I'll definitely continue to use the cloves and cardamom. I'm waiting on an order of henna from BNB which is still being processed. I also ordered a henna melt and a cassia melt from thehairshebang on etsy.com that's shipping out tomorrow. Eventually, I think I won't henna more often than once a month, but I'm thinking of doing treatments twice a month for a while. I figure that the henna melts will be a nice shortcut, as you just have to add warm water to them, and can then use them immediately.

I had been so intimidated by the henna process, but all the info on this forum gave me the courage to give it a shot. I'm glad I did Smile

bpjedi
bpjedi

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 26th January 2011, 9:31 am

@bp - welcome to the wonderful world of henna, I'm glad everything turned out ok for you. Henna is wonderful because you can mix different things in it and obtain different tints.
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down