CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do Any of You Henna Just Your Roots Instead of Entire Head?

5 posters

Go down

Do Any of You Henna Just Your Roots Instead of Entire Head? Empty Do Any of You Henna Just Your Roots Instead of Entire Head?

Post by envizionj 24th January 2011, 2:17 am

Do any of you ladies/gents just henna your roots like you would regular hair color? I would just like to henna my grays instead of my entire head of hair.

For people with gray roots: Do you notice a difference in color with the blending of the old hennaed grays with the new hennaed grays?

For people without gray roots: Do you notice a difference in color with the blending of the old hennaed hair and the new hennaed hair? sunny

Thank you in advance for your feedback. flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Do Any of You Henna Just Your Roots Instead of Entire Head? Empty Re: Do Any of You Henna Just Your Roots Instead of Entire Head?

Post by slimwithabs 25th January 2011, 11:53 pm

I have gray roots. The first time I got Henna the gray turned red. The second time which was just a couple of days ago I used black henna (HENNA W/Indigo). Both times she did the entire head. I did not like to Red so I decided to try the black I was pleased with the results but I like the way my hair felt better when I had the red henna (regular henna). I found that the black has a drying effect they day of and day after. It feels less dry today. I will get the red (regular henna) again.
slimwithabs
slimwithabs

Back to top Go down

Do Any of You Henna Just Your Roots Instead of Entire Head? Empty Re: Do Any of You Henna Just Your Roots Instead of Entire Head?

Post by ajsimmons8 26th January 2011, 11:05 pm

I have not yet just henna'd my roots, although I've read of people doing that. I will need to eventually, because as my hair grows, I will need to do a root touch-up. If you do decide to do just your roots, let us know how you did it and how it turned out.

If you have gray in your roots, and don't want the red, I would suggest using Indigo with your henna.
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Post by AimWard 27th January 2011, 3:29 am

I have greys and I henna my roots only (because I'm lazy) but I always follow up with Indigo (I don't like the color of hennaed greys). My freshly hennaed hair looks different from the old hennaed hair. It is usually much brighter/orangey than the older (which is ranges from cooper to auburn). Eventually the fresh hennaed hair will darken and look like the rest.
AimWard
AimWard

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 27th January 2011, 5:10 pm

ajsimmons8 wrote:I have not yet just henna'd my roots, although I've read of people doing that. I will need to eventually, because as my hair grows, I will need to do a root touch-up. If you do decide to do just your roots, let us know how you did it and how it turned out.

If you have gray in your roots, and don't want the red, I would suggest using Indigo with your henna.
Thank you AJSimmons8, but I am allergic to indigo. It gives me migraine headaches that lasts for hours. Sharika of Butters-n-bars explained to me that it has a high ph level, plus on the Hennaforhair.com site I posed the question as well and the group came back with indigo having tannins that may trigger migraines. I have tried the henna gloss, but it did nothing for my hair after I hennaed it.

I will keep your abreast of my root touch up method. I plan to do it just like I would regular hair color. I will section off my hair and apply it just to the new growth. flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 27th January 2011, 5:14 pm

AimWard wrote:I have greys and I henna my roots only (because I'm lazy) but I always follow up with Indigo (I don't like the color of hennaed greys). My freshly hennaed hair looks different from the old hennaed hair. It is usually much brighter/orangey than the older (which is ranges from cooper to auburn). Eventually the fresh hennaed hair will darken and look like the rest.
AimWard, thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I can't use indigo because it gives me migraines so I have gotten used to the coppery/auburn roots. I will have to endure the migraines when I go job hunting this year unless employers are not concerned with auburn highlights on black hair. I have to research indigo further to see what process the indigo goes through. Someone suggested that I should try organic indigo. Have you ever tried organic indigo? flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 27th January 2011, 6:10 pm

Hi Envizion, would adding Brahmi or Maka powder to henna mixture help. it does state on the box that it makes the hair darker which I discovered first hand.
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 27th January 2011, 6:33 pm

AJSimmons, I've been hennaing for almost a year. I use Amla, Brahmi and Maka in my henna mixes and they have not done anything to darken my hair. sunny

I have also mixed them with conditioners and they have not darkened my hair. flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 1st February 2011, 7:47 pm

Well, I did the root touch up, sectioning off my hair like a relaxer, and am happy to say that my hair seems to have a lot more body. I mixed up the entire package of Jamila 2009 henna, added 1 tablespoon each of Amla, Brahmi and Maka powders along with 1 tablespoon of Plantation Black strap molasses, then mixed with spring water and allowed it to sit for 12 hours. I refrigerated the mix since it was Saturday morning when the dye released and I had a function to attend. sunny

When I returned home later, I washed my hair with Suave Clarifying shampoo mixed with Dr. Bronner's peppermint castile soap. I then washed again with VO5 moisturizing shampoo. Then I blotted my hair, sectioned it off and applied 1/2 of the henna mix just to the new growth using my gloved fingers. It was quick since it was not my entire head. I put the left over batch in the freezer for the next root touch up. I then wrapped my hair in saran wrap, another plastic cap, conditioning cap and old wool hat since it was late and I was going to bed.

The next morning I got up and I washed my hair while kneeling in the shower with the shower head on massage mode. The henna as on my hair for 10 hours. The massage mode allows jet speed water to rinse out your henna quickly. I then decided to try a 2 step with the leftover indigo that I have. Well, I am allergic to indigo so I said let me try diluting it again to see what it would do for my roots. I used about 6 tablespoons of indigo and added Herbal Essences Hello Hydration conditioner, Aussie Moist conditioner, and Suave conditioner (about 1/2 cup in total). I mixed and applied it just to my roots for 2 hours. This time, there was a delay for a migraine. I could feel it coming, but it was slight instead of intolerable.

I rinsed in the shower again on massage mode and then washed my hair with Nizoral medicated shampoo, VO5 moisturizing shampoo. I towel blotted my hair and then mixed Herbal Essences Hello Hydration conditioner, Aussie Moist conditioner and 1 tablespoon of Black Jamaican castor oil and applied all over my hair. I massaged it in, put on my conditioning caps and plugged in my heating cap and deep conditioned for about 4 hours between while watching The Stella Awards and the UNCF with the tribute to Chaka Kahn. They were both amazing shows.

After the 4 hours, I rinsed my hair on massage mode, towel blotted and applied my shea butter pomade mix. My hair was soft and manageable.
flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 1st February 2011, 8:27 pm

@envizion, I'm glad the root touch-up worked. I'm curious, before you applied the Indigo, what color did the Henna, Amla, Brahmi and Maka powders along with 1 tablespoon of Plantation Black strap molasses deposit to your hair?

I'm trying to find a henna mixed with other powders that will give me an overall reddish brown color on my natural hair color of dark, dark brown.
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 2nd February 2011, 12:28 am

AJSimmons8, auburn/copper color was the outcome of the mix. I have been researching for months a mix that will work because I'm not fond of indigo, but to no avail. I've tried in addition to the above cloves, cinnamon, organic cocoa powder, and even tried going burgundy with hibiscus/sorrel flowers, but the henna color (auburn/copper) rules. I was going to try coffee, but I heard that it does not work either. No

Here is the Henna Mix Guide from the Mehandi site (aka Henna For Hair) http://www.mehandi.com/shop/hairinstructions2.pdf drunken

ButterQueen mixed a batch of bentonite clay with Jamila 2010 for a test group, but that didn't do anything color wise for me either. The henna color rules. afro

I know the answer is out there and I'm going to keep searching. By the way, flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 2nd February 2011, 12:44 am

Have you tried buxas? Mehandi Buxas It cools down the henna red. It won't make it black but it won't be bright red either. I haven't used it myself, though I saw it for sale at Mehandi. They have a forum, you can ask if about other people's results.
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 2nd February 2011, 1:05 am

Madeaj, I asked the question regarding Buxus on the Henna For Hair forum and most women were allergic to it just like Indigo. Buxus is a weaker version of indigo and fades quickly. I didn't want to chance it and waste my money. Here is information from the forum flower http://www.forums.hennapage.com/node/634/2250#comment-2250
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down