CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting kinky twists...how to condition hair before getting it braided

3 posters

Go down

Getting kinky twists...how to condition hair before getting it braided Empty Getting kinky twists...how to condition hair before getting it braided

Post by EmbraceDaCurl 20th December 2010, 3:55 pm

I am about 3 months post relaxer (a newbie). I have about an inch and a half of new growth but about 5 inches of permed foolishness on my head. I've been doing twist outs and braid outs but want to get a style where I don't have to do much manipulating for about 2 months. Oh yeah, I'm 34 weeks pregnant too. I've made an appt for some kinky twists, but its been over 10 years since I've had braids and want to know if I should deep condition before getting them, should I blow dry my hair or let it air dry, leave in conditioner, etc??? The lady braiding my hair said I could put I light moisturizer in but my hair tends to be a little dry anyway and I usually soak it with shea butter. This is going down on Wednesday so any help from my natural siSTARS would be great and much appreciated. I feel like a "hair dummy" and I'm fumbling my way thru this journey but determined to stay on it.

Be blessed!
EmbraceDaCurl
EmbraceDaCurl

Back to top Go down

Getting kinky twists...how to condition hair before getting it braided Empty Re: Getting kinky twists...how to condition hair before getting it braided

Post by naturallyme09 20th December 2010, 7:44 pm

Yes, you should deep condition and apply a leave in before getting the kinky twists. I've been transitioning with braids and twists and I always deep condition and apply a leave in before and after my braids. I normally wear my braids/twists 6 to 8 weeks so I also do a protein treatment (before deep conditioning) about every 2 months as well. Normally, I air dry and avoid heat as much as possible. You can also continue to moisturize with a water based moisturizer (leave in) and seal with oil while you have the twists in to ensure your hair stays moisturized. Lastly, please remember to detangle you hair WELL before washing it when you remove your twists to prevent matting and tangles.
naturallyme09
naturallyme09

Back to top Go down

Getting kinky twists...how to condition hair before getting it braided Empty Re: Getting kinky twists...how to condition hair before getting it braided

Post by EmbraceDaCurl 22nd December 2010, 1:45 pm

Thank you NaturallyMe!!! Everything you said makes sense. I just dont wanna mess up. Ugh, I'm to the point that I'm second guessing every step I make. LOL. Happy Holidays!!! santa
EmbraceDaCurl
EmbraceDaCurl

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyme09 22nd December 2010, 3:38 pm

Your welcome. Its quite normal to second guess yourself. You're just being precautious (which is a very good thing). Good luck and Happy Holidays to you too!
naturallyme09
naturallyme09

Back to top Go down

Post by yacoomba 22nd December 2010, 8:07 pm

After the leave in are u all adding a moisturizer/styler as well to the hair (such as shea butter mix) out of curiosity?
yacoomba
yacoomba

Back to top Go down

Post by EmbraceDaCurl 26th December 2010, 12:38 am

yacoomba wrote:After the leave in are u all adding a moisturizer/styler as well to the hair (such as shea butter mix) out of curiosity?

When I style my hair in twist outs, I use ORS Twist and Loc to twist and a grapeseed/olive oil/water mix to seal my hair. Even when I leave my hair in twists for a few days, I will spray my hair with that mixture. But hadn't thought about it before getting the kinky twists. I didn't want to have too much product in my hair.
EmbraceDaCurl
EmbraceDaCurl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down