CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kinky Twists?

+5
CristineYvonne
Janet36603
Tmochava
MyBlkizBfl
songbird
9 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Kinky Twists? Empty Kinky Twists?

Post by songbird 9th May 2010, 4:55 pm

Hello beautiful ladies of CN! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I have been lurking around here for quite some time, but this is my first official post so here's a brief intro. I'm Songbird, an 18 year old college student. I don't even know what my natural hair looks like and I feel like I owe it to myself to find out. I'm ready to have a head full of natural kinks, coils, and curls! I'm only about 2 months into my transition, and I plan on cutting all my relaxed ends off at the end of the year (if I can hold out that long).

Yesterday I got some long-ish kinky twists put into my hair. I always used to get braids and twists as a kid, and I don't know how I did it; My head is killing me! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] But I digress.

I chose this style because I have a short "Rihanna"-esque cut
that was tapered in the back and have no idea how to do transitioning styles on it. Also, it's summer
and I love to swim, but I don't like my hair looking all crazy when I
get out of the water.

But anyway, enough rambling and to the point. I love my hair and would like to know if any of you lovelies had some advice on how to keep my twists looking fly for as long as possible, as well as how to keep my natural hair moisturized while it's inside the twists. Any suggestions for some good investments to make for this hair?

Thanks everyone! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
songbird
songbird

Back to top Go down

Kinky Twists? Empty Re: Kinky Twists?

Post by MyBlkizBfl 19th May 2010, 12:26 pm

I love this style. I used it the majority of my transistion 7 of the 9 months. One thing i did wrong initially was that i didn't moisturize my hair in the twist only my scalp. So, i would say find a good daily moisturizer and spray your twist and your scalp. I'm taking a break from the twist now and experimenting w/ other transition styles.
MyBlkizBfl
MyBlkizBfl

Back to top Go down

Post by songbird 19th May 2010, 3:19 pm

Thanks so much for your response MyBlkizBfl! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

So far I've been moisturizing my scalp with EVCO and my hair with Nexxus Humectress leave-in spray. I might have to find another conditioning spray though, those tiny bottles of Nexxus are really hard on my broke college student wallet. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] lol

Might I ask how long you kept your twists in for at a time? I'm aiming for 3 months but I feel like they wont last that long before they start slipping out.
songbird
songbird

Back to top Go down

Post by MyBlkizBfl 19th May 2010, 3:46 pm

The first set i kept in for 3 months and i was really pushing it with my second set that i kept for 4 months. I wouldn't recommend doing that my hair was a disaster when i took them out but i wanted to keep them for a trip and i knew i wasn't going to get them redone.
MyBlkizBfl
MyBlkizBfl

Back to top Go down

Post by songbird 19th May 2010, 4:51 pm

Okay and I have one last question: Were your twists started with braids or were they twisted right from the root?
songbird
songbird

Back to top Go down

Post by MyBlkizBfl 19th May 2010, 5:08 pm

They were twisted from the root. That the best way if you ask me. Bc they're easier to take out and they look better. Also, when your hair grows out you can twist the new growth bc the 2 strands are separated.
MyBlkizBfl
MyBlkizBfl

Back to top Go down

Post by songbird 19th May 2010, 5:15 pm

Yay! Mine are twisted from the root as well and I thought that would make them loosen and slide out easier but I'm glad to hear that I can just twist the new growth.

Anyway thanks so much for all your help Miss Lady.
Your hair in your profile picture is fab by the way. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
songbird
songbird

Back to top Go down

Post by Tmochava 19th May 2010, 5:16 pm

Hey songbird, you can make your own mixture of oils with a water base that will moisturize your hair. The mixture I made really helped, when I took out my twists my hair was really soft. I couldn't believe it and didn't have much breakage just the normal shedding. If you don't feel like making your own concoction then you can buy one of course. So when I get lazy, I use the Bee Mine Juicy Moisturizing Spritz.

BTW, your twists are lovely.
Tmochava
Tmochava

Back to top Go down

Post by MyBlkizBfl 19th May 2010, 5:20 pm

@ Tmochava -- when you say water base mixture whats that? In my mind i think oil and water don't mix. Pls enlighten me.
MyBlkizBfl
MyBlkizBfl

Back to top Go down

Post by songbird 19th May 2010, 5:26 pm

Tmochava,

Thanks a bunch for your input and the compliment! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Might I inquire what oils you use in your homemade mixture? And where did you find the Bee Mine Juicy Moisturizing Spritz? I've heard lots of good things about this product line.
songbird
songbird

Back to top Go down

Post by MyBlkizBfl 19th May 2010, 5:33 pm

Thanks Songbird and your twist are nice. I've never had mine that long or small. I might have to try that out.
MyBlkizBfl
MyBlkizBfl

Back to top Go down

Post by songbird 19th May 2010, 5:39 pm

Don't mention it. And thanks! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It took four packs of hair (which was just barely enough) and 5 hours with two people in my head to get them this long and small. So only try it if you have the patience for that. I was getting SO frustrated in that chair. lol
songbird
songbird

Back to top Go down

Post by songbird 19th May 2010, 5:41 pm

Unless of course you're going to do it yourself, in which case you can take breaks and relax whenever you'd like. I've really got to learn how to do these myself..
songbird
songbird

Back to top Go down

Post by Tmochava 19th May 2010, 5:42 pm

In my homemade mixture, I fill up a water bottle with half water, then fill the rest up with Vegetable Glycerine, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Jojoba Oil, 8-10 drops of the following essential oils: Rosemary Oil, Lavender Oil, and Tea Trea Oil. Water and oil don't mix, lol, but as long as you shake it up before using it you'll be good because the oil does settle to the top. The only problem I find is that the essential oils can be pricey but they work like a charm and last a while.

I got the Bee Mine Juicy Moisturizing Spritz directly from their site at beemineproducts.com. I love this line. I've incorporated a couple of their products as my staples.
Tmochava
Tmochava

Back to top Go down

Post by MyBlkizBfl 19th May 2010, 5:43 pm

I think i'll pass on that one! lol! Mine only took 3hrs on person including dipping the ends but they were bigger and stopped at my shoulder.
MyBlkizBfl
MyBlkizBfl

Back to top Go down

Post by Janet36603 19th May 2010, 5:45 pm

I'm wearing kinky twists now and I make my own moisturizing spritz. I have a little 8oz spray bottle ($1 from walmart) that I put a squirt of Herbal Essences Hello Hydration conditioner (About $3 at walmart), a squirt of Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel (Can't remember the exact price but less than $4), a little Olive Oil (About $5 for a small bottle which has lasted me my whole 8 months of transitioning so far lol and yes it's the kind you cook with) and fill the rest up with water, shake and spray.

Lately I've been putting a few drops of tea tree oil (to help with itching) and some rosemary (growth) and peppermint oil (to cover the tea tree's strong scent and also helps with itching) but you don't have to put oils in it at all. (they can be sort of pricey)

I spray my hair with this at the root about every other day or whenever my hair feels a little dry until my twists are damp and then it dries pretty fast. I can usually get about 3-4 uses out of each spray bottle so I only have to make it again maybe once a week. I know how hard it can be to take care of your hair on a budget!

I've been using this spray for about 2 or 3 months and when I take my twists down my hair feels sooo soft and moisturized BEFORE I put anything in it. Hope this helps!
Janet36603
Janet36603

Location : Montgomery, AL (and Birmingham, AL on the weekends)

http://jlhorace.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by songbird 19th May 2010, 5:48 pm

@Tmochava

Did you get any buildup from the oil mixture at the base of your twists? And did you deep condition when you took them out? Sorry for all the questions. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
songbird
songbird

Back to top Go down

Post by songbird 19th May 2010, 5:50 pm

@Janet36603

Thanks, that does help a lot! I might have to run out and buy some tea tree oil for all this itching.
songbird
songbird

Back to top Go down

Post by songbird 19th May 2010, 5:54 pm

And @MyBlkizBfl,

I will never get them this long or small again. Never, ever. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] lol
songbird
songbird

Back to top Go down

Post by Janet36603 19th May 2010, 5:58 pm

songbird wrote:@Janet36603

Thanks, that does help a lot! I might have to run out and buy some tea tree oil for all this itching.

BE SURE that you use essential oils with a carrier oil (such as olive oil or jojoba). DO NOT just put them on your head or skin or where ever without mixing them with a carrier oil. They are VERY strong! Also just start out with a drop or two. I know it doesn't seem like a lot but TRUST ME a little goes a LONG way lol
Janet36603
Janet36603

Back to top Go down

Post by Tmochava 19th May 2010, 6:01 pm

Its no problem at all, I like answering questions especially if I know the answers, lol.

I didn't have a problem with buildup at the base or in general because as the growth came in the hair just soaked it up. The good thing with Essential Oils and water is that it penetrates your hair and it doesn't just sit on top of it. Your hair soaks it up. When I took out the twists, you can definitely feel the moisture from the oils and water.

Yes, deep conditioning is a must. Although you moisturize your hair throughout the length of time it is in the twists, it still needs that extra special treatment due to not washing and conditioning as you would usually do on a regular basis. I put twists my hair yesterday and when I take them out I will be deep conditioning it.
Tmochava
Tmochava

Back to top Go down

Post by songbird 19th May 2010, 6:09 pm

@Janet,

Yeah, I've learned that tea tree oil is no joke the hard way. Used it undiluted to heal my nose piercing. It burned and the smell was strong enough to take a grown man down. The good thing is that I did not suffer any damage and it healed my nose up immediately. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] lol

I never knew it was good for itching, though. I've got some carrier oils so I'll make sure to use it with them.

Thanks! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

@Tmochava,
Thanks for sharing. You ladies are helping me so much! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
songbird
songbird

Back to top Go down

Post by Janet36603 21st May 2010, 1:11 pm

Lol yes Tea tree oil reminds me of pine sol or some kind of floor cleaner.
Janet36603
Janet36603

Back to top Go down

Post by songbird 27th May 2010, 5:05 pm

And another question for you ladies, did you deep condition your hair at all while the twists were in?
songbird
songbird

Back to top Go down

Post by Tmochava 29th May 2010, 12:39 pm

No, I don't. The only thing I do is keep it moisturized.
Tmochava
Tmochava

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next