CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

~2 Months Post-Relaxer (I think)

2 posters

Go down

~2 Months Post-Relaxer (I think) Empty ~2 Months Post-Relaxer (I think)

Post by YabbaDabba 13th December 2010, 3:08 am

Hello Kinkies (I prefer Kinky over Nappy). I began my natural hair journey about 2 months ago. It's a decision I've contempleted over the years. Until recently, I actually would convice myself it's not something I was willing to do. Mainly because I assumed I would have to BC & didn't know much about transitioning. Well, here I am...

I am a Bahamain born Florida raised young professional. I remember being natural until I was a Tween. I'm not sure why my mother relaxed my hair but after seeing how she could not handle my younger sister's hair (I did all of the maintaining, braiding and styling), I have a good idea of how badly she took care of mine. My childhood hair can be described as 4(subtype unknown). That's the best I can make out from pics. A recent conversation with my mom and aunts disclosed my hair wasn't unmanageable, there was just a lot of it. It puffed out a few inches before it did anything else except frustrate whomever was working in it...LOL. I've always had med-shoulder length hair. On occasion I've cut it into shorter styles. I'm currently recovering from an assymetrical cut. From left to right, one side is just below my ear while the other side is at the nape of my neck (is that a real term)?

NATURAL EPIPHANY: While sitting at the salon before my last relaxer, I irritated my scalp. Man did I pay (still am) the price for it. Shortly after, I had lunch with the Bestie (who's newborn bald) and a cousin (beautiful natural tresses). Here is where I confessed my jealousy towards beautiful naturality. This is where I also agreed to use my Bestie as a natural buddy. Since then I've become addicted to learning about MY hair and products. Boy do I mean addicted. I'm online for hours every evening looking for hairstyles and products. When I finally convice myself to stick with what I already own considering I'm not 100% and IDK my true hair needs...I find my way to another BSS. OYE VEY!

So here are my transitioning issues. Yes, at 2 months I got issues...lol
1. itchies...2. tender scalp (scratching?) 3. maintaining twist/braid outs on transitioning hair

Current products/regimen:
NO-POO 1-2x/wk - VO5 clarifying conditioner, HE Hello Hydration

BUILD-UP WASH (sulfate free) - Organix shea butter shampoo & conditioner

MOISTURIZER (equal parts recipe) - raw shea butter, cantu moisturizer, cantu pomeade, oilve oil (less than others)

SPRAY BOTTLE (hairsetting recipe) - lotta body, water, organix coconut oil leave-in, infusium

RECENT PURCHASES (unused but possibly new NO-POO & SULFATE-FREE washes) - DevaCurly travel kit, DermOrganic (poo, conditioner, leave-in)

Suggestions and questions welcomed...

YabbaDabba

Back to top Go down

~2 Months Post-Relaxer (I think) Empty Re: ~2 Months Post-Relaxer (I think)

Post by JossBella 14th December 2010, 12:30 am

YabbaDabba, did you have scalp issues whilst relaxed?
JossBella
JossBella

Back to top Go down