CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you Henna on fresh clean hair or old dirty hair???

+11
clarity33
afrolicious
freckledmom4
envizionj
poeticlyspkng
courtface
blkbeauty2010
Cupcake415
1FlySista
popsbaby
misskris
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Do you Henna on fresh clean hair or old dirty hair??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do you Henna on fresh clean hair or old dirty hair???

Post by courtface 2nd December 2010, 4:01 pm

@ Popsbaby. Thanks for the recipe. Thats a good idea to just use a little lemon . I used all lemon and it dreid me out . Ill have to try that.

courtface

Back to top Go down

Do you Henna on fresh clean hair or old dirty hair??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do you Henna on fresh clean hair or old dirty hair???

Post by poeticlyspkng 2nd December 2010, 4:06 pm

Does anyone know how long you can just leave it in the refridgerator. I've had some in for about 2 weeks that I still plan to use. How do you know if it's no good?
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 2nd December 2010, 5:52 pm

misskris wrote:Hey flysista! I dunno yet. I don't think I am gonna mess with the lemon juice. I feel like that is way to acidic. I may go with the green tea, maybe even some all natural yogurt. Or just evoo. I dunno!!!! LOL So many decisions!!! But I am kinda interested in doing a final rinse with ACV to close the cuticle. What r u mixing yours with??? confused
May I suggest you don't use ACV since henna is already drying and ACV will dry out your hair even more. I don't believe you need to close your cuticle since henna coats the hair unlike normal hair dyes and protects the cuticle. sunny

I sometimes add 2 tablespoons of Plantation Black strapped molasses to my Jamila henna mix, but I always add 1-2 tablespoon of Amla, 1 tablespoon of Brahmi, and 1 tablespoon of Maka. When I rinse out my henna, it normally takes me 10 minutes in the shower. My hair is always moist after I remove my saran wrap, plastic cap and deep conditioner cap. I rinse out first with warm/hot water while sitting in the shower, then once the henna mix is rinsed out I stand up and wash out the remainder with Suave/VO5 conditioner. Then do a quick shampoo with Suave Professionals for Dry Hair. I then deep condition using some oils mixed into conditioner, (e.g., extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, sweet almond oil) and Aussie Moist conditioner or Suave or both. I then put on my clear plastic cap, gold/silver deep conditioning cap and then go sit under my electric heating cap for 1-2 hours or just leave on the caps for 2-3 hours while I do housework or catch up on emails. I then rinse out with conditioner and then blot my hair with a towel and style using my beige shea butter, mixed with my oils, ayurvedic alma/maka mix and Nature's Blessings. My hair stays shiny and moist.
flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 2nd December 2010, 6:11 pm

poeticlyspkng wrote:Does anyone know how long you can just leave it in the refridgerator. I've had some in for about 2 weeks that I still plan to use. How do you know if it's no good?
I have never left henna in the fridge for 2 weeks, but maybe the cold air from the fridge preserved it. When you use it, let us know if the stain and strength is a strong as when you first used it. Normally, you should freeze any leftover henna right away as long as it does not have clay, indigo or cassia in it. flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 2nd December 2010, 9:01 pm

Hi envizionj....thanks, but I don't have all those other items like amla and maka. right now i don't plan on getting any either. i just want to stick to more simple recipes for now. And plus, amla tones down the color in henna and i want as much color as i can get!!

but thanks anyway! Smile
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 2nd December 2010, 9:44 pm

Just being nosey, but wanted to add my 2 cents as well-lol. If you are going to add condish make sure it is cone free and protein free. The cones may block the color deposit and the protein may be too much since henna and protein can cause the hair to feel dry. For the first time, I would just use henna and 1 acid (green tea, lemon juice etc.) and a little honey (in my experience it helps the henna to rinse out better). That way you will have a constant to compare all your subsequent mixes to.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 2nd December 2010, 10:03 pm

Thanks Frecklemom! That's actually what I plan on doing, well almost. Popsbaby gave me a simple henna recipe that calls for just tea, honey and only 1 tsp of lemon juice which isn't really a lot. So I am gonna try that and see how it works. If I find it too drying then the next time I will omit the lemon. I am excited to get it goin!!! Smile
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 3rd December 2010, 3:20 pm

misskris wrote:Hi envizionj....thanks, but I don't have all those other items like amla and maka. right now i don't plan on getting any either. i just want to stick to more simple recipes for now. And plus, amla tones down the color in henna and i want as much color as i can get!!

but thanks anyway! Smile
Hi Misskris, I have not noticed that Amla tones down the auburn when mixed with the henna and I have been using henna for over 9 months. My greys are very coppery after my henna treatment and tone down over the course of the week with oxidation. The purpose of me adding the Amla is so the henna won't change my curl pattern. I add the other powders Brahmi and Maka since I normally add them anyway to my weekly treatments and that way I won't miss them. sunny

You won't see much, if any, of a color change if you have black hair from my experience. I have experimented with hibiscus leaves (aka sorrel) and my greys were much brighter. Hibiscus would be the acid so you won't need lemon juice. Some ladies have added cayenne pepper to their mixes as well to get to the redder side.

ButterQueen as well as a few other ladies here on the board have experimented long term with hibiscus. ButterQueen had even achieved burgundy hair. You may get more information from the site in the henna area http://butters-n-bars.com/bundlesandadd_ins.html You can also contact her here.
flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 3rd December 2010, 3:38 pm

yeah, that's where I got my henna from, buttersnbars. I didn't realize the directions were on the package, but i went to the site and figured it our. Mine came with cinnamon and cloves so they said to steep it in lemon juice for 10 minutes. So i won't be using a tea persay but this will kind of make a tea when done. But I am still gonna use the honey. So the cinnamon and cloves are supposed to give it more color. I'll post a new avatar when it's all done so ya'll can see. Thanks. Smile
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by afrolicious 5th December 2010, 12:18 am

In regards to clarifying with a SLS shampoo. No you don't have to use a clarifying shampoo with SLS, that can even attribute to dryer hair. Unless you are using petroleum based products, you can use a non sulphate shampoo to clean your hair effectively. Look at curlynikki (since we are on her sight). She just uses a shampoo bar. I've used shampoo bars, or a natural sulphate free shampoo (not a cleanser) to clean my hair which kept it clean even clarified when I do more then one shampoo.

But again if you do have a sulphate shampoo at home and want to use it to clarify, dilute it with water in a bottle, and/or mix some of your sls-free shampoo with it to cut down on the harsh stripping effects.

afrolicious

Back to top Go down

Post by clarity33 5th December 2010, 9:55 pm

I'm about to do my henna now. I have had some conditioner on my hair....now I think I'm going to rewash it with some Suave. I am really excited about doing the henna. Going to DC with AO white camillia condish. I really like that. I am using green tea and honey in my mix. Folllowing the directions from the tutorial vid by Curly nikki. I will keep you updated ladies! Very Happy
clarity33
clarity33

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 5th December 2010, 10:26 pm

yes please do!!! I wanna see!!!! Very Happy
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by clarity33 6th December 2010, 12:21 am

Video being made now!
clarity33
clarity33

Back to top Go down

Post by drmsd 6th December 2010, 2:31 pm

Yay! Looking forward to it!!!!
drmsd
drmsd

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 6th December 2010, 3:03 pm

@ Poeticlyspeaking....I know I read online that you can freeze henna (as long as there is no indigo in it) for up to 6 months. not sure about the fridge though.

here is something I found online on yahooanswers about the fridge...
Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
if it is in the powder form then you are fine. if you have already mixed it into a paste then you will probably be ok to apply it but, the stain isn't going to be the best. I would toss it and start over if you have more powder.

Once you mix the powder into a paste you can store it in your refrigerator for 6+ months

Whats easier than getting premixed henna cones? nothing! Henna Hut is having a sale where you can get 12 cones for under $20 and free shipping. might be worth getting some and not having to worry about leaving our your paste by accident.
Source(s):
http://hennahut.com/henna_cones
http://hennahut.com/henna_powder
http://hennahut.com/faqs

HTH! Very Happy
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by popsbaby 6th December 2010, 3:45 pm

Hey Misskris
I also henna'd this weekend. I DC'd for 4 hours and then sat under my steamer for 20 minutes. I'm glad that your 1st henna was a success.
popsbaby
popsbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 6th December 2010, 3:51 pm

Thanks Pops!! How did yours go??? Got any pics???? Very Happy
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by tainee 9th December 2010, 9:33 am

I really like my natural hair colour, and i hear everyone talking about the henna making your hair red/or auburn. It seems that most people embrace this effect but, i would like to try the henna. Right now my hair is fine, dry, breaking, frizzy (actually more like 'fray-y'). I need a beauty routine for my hair, that makes it easy to maintain. Would henna be right for me? Would it change my hair colour? I really love my black hair.... Also, what is evoo? Embarassed
tainee
tainee

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 9th December 2010, 9:59 am

Hey Tainee. And welcome to CN. EVOO is extra virgin olive oil.
Ok so with the henna. I am no expert but I did read a lt about it as I henna'd for the 1st time this past Saturday. My profile pic is the result but keep in mind it isn't that bright in person. I think it was because of the lighting or something. My hair didn't really brighten up that much. Now if you wanna keep your hair black you can use INDIGO in your henna. Go to www.butters-n-bars.com or www.mehandi.com for henna info. I got my henna (and other stuff) from buttrsnbars. Not sure if anyone would know if henna is right for you. you'd just have to try and see. But it may help being that it strengthens the hair shaft and provides other good stuff.
Hope that helps!! Smile
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by curlya 9th December 2010, 10:26 am

I'm a little late but,
I've been using henna for a several of months now and I love it. I have tired different mixer; black tea, acv, coconut milk and lemon juice.
I always use honey and a conditioner when i mix the henna and then add one of the other mixers I mentioned above.
I liked the coconut milk the best and although the last two times I did a Henna treatment (I try and do it once a month now), I used lemon juice (that is what I had available and did not want to go back out for coconut milk); I added evvoo to the mix and it washed out great. After each treatment I DC.

curlya
curlya

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 9th December 2010, 10:36 am

If your hair is black, henna won't make it red. There might be a little glow in the sunlight at first, but as it oxidizes the red glow fades. If you have any grays then they will at first be a copper and as the henna builds up they'll go to dark auburn.

If you are determined to make sure to have black black hair, do a two step process with henna and then indigo. I've seen it done in a one step process but it looks like the two step gets a rich deep black result.

Black hair
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 9th December 2010, 10:42 am

Well my hair is pretty close to black and it turned mine reddish but like i said not drastically. My daughter noticed the color right away. Henna by itself maybe not, but mine was mixed with color enhancers.
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 9th December 2010, 10:48 am

this is my hair pre-henna----> [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

and this is it after henna ---> [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
and this ---> [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Not drastic but you can tell. you can see a tint of a reddish brown.
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2