CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dirty Hair vs Clean Hair

5 posters

Go down

Dirty Hair vs Clean Hair Empty Dirty Hair vs Clean Hair

Post by tiffyd 22nd April 2010, 3:20 pm

Hello ladies. I've been transitioning and I currently have a sew-in. I plan to take this out in May and do my first Henna treatment. I don't know the process, so am I supposed to Henna on clean hair? Can I use the henna after I take out the sew-in? Also, can I pre-poo before I henna?

That's a lot of questions. I'm so clueless on the process. Please help me.
tiffyd
tiffyd

Back to top Go down

Dirty Hair vs Clean Hair Empty Re: Dirty Hair vs Clean Hair

Post by summerbreeze76 22nd April 2010, 7:41 pm

Yes you should henna on clean hair. Some people do it on wet and some on dry hair. Im assuming you can use henna after a sew in. Ive Henna'd and use Indigo once. I plan on only Hennaing from now on. My only issue is that Henna is like permanent hair color and it is next to impossible to dye your hair after it has been henna'd. A friend of my recently went to get her hair dyed and after applying bleach twice, the dye still would not take. So this is just infomation i would have or should have been aware of pre-henna and i was not. So just in case you did not know.... Good Luck
summerbreeze76
summerbreeze76

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 22nd April 2010, 11:07 pm

Henna on clean, dry hair. I would DC though a couple of times before you henna and prepare for a serious moisturizing DC immediately after. When you take out the sew in, your hair may be really dry. A week or so will be worth it to give your hair time to recover. Sew-ins can be great for protecting but they can be a little rough on your hair too.
Check out hennaforhair.com. Great site.
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by tiffyd 23rd April 2010, 11:23 am

Thank you for the advice.

So summerbreeze... are you saying that henna prevents you from dying your hair? Do you know if this is true for everyone?
tiffyd
tiffyd

Back to top Go down

Post by NappyNat 23rd April 2010, 11:25 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Hi Ladies I have had natural hair for about eight months and I am thinking about using henna...Any advice on which one to use and any tips for me..
help a sista out henna sounds exciting
NappyNat
NappyNat

Back to top Go down

Post by summerbreeze76 23rd April 2010, 1:40 pm

tiffyd wrote:Thank you for the advice.

So summerbreeze... are you saying that henna prevents you from dying your hair? Do you know if this is true for everyone?

My friend who used henna about four or five times, recently attempted to dye her hair. The salon applied the bleach two times and the color would not take. I have since then read up on henna and many have stated that it permanent and very difficult to color over if at all. I used henna once and as it was sitting on my hair i read that it was permanent, but it was hoping that wasnt true, but it seems to be.
summerbreeze76
summerbreeze76

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 24th April 2010, 3:23 am

Henna should be applied on clean hair definitly and, for me, on wet hair prefereable because wet hair is easier to manipulate into sections to make sure you are getting every strand.

I have read that henna does leave a heavy deposit into the hair strand so coloring with a lighter color on top is a problem. However if you lay off the henna for awhile (I really don't know how long) then you will be able to color again. Until then you can go darker not lighter.
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 24th April 2010, 3:38 am

NappyNat wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Hi Ladies I have had natural hair for about eight months and I am thinking about using henna...Any advice on which one to use and any tips for me..
help a sista out henna sounds exciting

Henna is very exciting. Go to www.hennaforhair.com for purchase and more info. There is a henna mix thread on here that you can take a look at different mixes. I have been using henna for 1 yr now and my tips are:
1)have everything you need ready to use before you use henna: bowl, wooden spoon, saran wrap, products, GLOVES, henna towel or t-shirt (yes you will need to designate one because it will be stained)
2)most henna mixes you cant apply until a 6-8 hour wait for color release so just mix it the night before you use and leave it somewhere at room temp overnight then you can apply anytime the next day
3)apply henna in the shower and understand it may splash and get all over you,etc. It's ok when you are done and wrap your hair in saran wrap. Rinse or wash off your body and the tub. This method eliminates you worrying about staining everything. Once out the shower, take a paper towel and wipe off your forehead, ears, back of ears, neck, anywhere you don't want to be stained.
4)Once you are ready to rinse out henna from hair, REMEMBER to use your GLOVES. Henna does stain heavily on hands even on rinse out.
5) rinse in kitchen sink (bigger pipes) several times with water then rinse out more with cheapie condish.
6)REMEMBER to deep condition afterwards for at least one hour to replenish moisture with a nice rich conditioner.

HOPE THIS HELPS
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by NappyNat 24th April 2010, 12:55 pm

Thank you so much for you info Intelligentbeauty...You hve been a great help.
I am definitely going to give it a try...
NappyNat
NappyNat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down