CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Belizeanbeauty's Long Term Transition to Natural Hair

+14
HappyCurly
jcanalena79
Intelligentbeauty
bholmes87
MomnWife
LadyMika
Lynnieluve
BlondeByDesire
Enchantment
LilMsPuddles
curlykinks
beautifuleyez
dajewel
Belizeanbeauty
18 posters

Go down

Belizeanbeauty's Long Term Transition to Natural Hair Empty Belizeanbeauty's Long Term Transition to Natural Hair

Post by Belizeanbeauty 23rd November 2009, 6:55 pm

Hello everyone!

I have been transitioning to natural hair since March 17th 2007. I started off my journey with BSL hair and I currently have hair that reaches the small of my back (about 4 inches past waist length). I decided to transition because I was tired of spending $40 to relax my hair 3-4 times a year. Nothing deep or profound. I only went to the hairdresser for relaxers and I trimmed my hair with each relaxer. I maintained my relaxed hair with blunt trims, deep conditioning, etc and I did my hair myself between salon visits. My father encouraged my sister and I to do our hair ourselves and bought us our own hair products and tools so we didnt have to rely on someone else ( my sis started transitioning with me and has BSL natural hair now). Ultimately I learned a lot about my hair in its relaxed state and now I am excited to continue learning about my natural hair.

A little background on my hair: I have (and have always had)very thick and long hair. I dont believe in hair typing, as my mom taught us "hair is just hair", but if I had to choose I would say I am a 3c/4a. My natural hair is about 16" long and the natural hair at my nape reaches BSL. The natural hair at my crown reaches APL. At my nape I have about 3-4" of relaxed ends and at my crown I have about 6-7" of relaxed ends. I have a fotki but it hasnt been updated since I was 18 months into my transition (I became busy after junior year of college and keep forgetting to update). Hopefully I can use this to post pics and show my progress.

Ultimately I hope to show people that long term transitioning is possible. I initially planned to transition until March 2009 but im still going strong and now I plan to transition for at least 3 years (until March 2010) but I will probably go longer since my transition has been so smooth.

My hair today is currently swept up into a high bun. I straightened my hair 2 weeks ago and I plan to wash tomorrow and either blow dry or do a twist out..I have not decided as of yet. HHG! Belizeanbeauty's Long Term Transition to Natural Hair Icon_smile

Last edited by Belizeanbeauty on 23rd November 2009, 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Belizeanbeauty
Belizeanbeauty

Back to top Go down

Belizeanbeauty's Long Term Transition to Natural Hair Empty Re: Belizeanbeauty's Long Term Transition to Natural Hair

Post by dajewel 23rd November 2009, 7:29 pm

hi!!!!!!!! i am belizean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! welcome!!!!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Belizeanbeauty's Long Term Transition to Natural Hair Empty Re: Belizeanbeauty's Long Term Transition to Natural Hair

Post by beautifuleyez 23rd November 2009, 8:14 pm

Your hair is beautiful! I am glad to see your transition is going so smoothly. Keep up the good work!
beautifuleyez
beautifuleyez

Back to top Go down

Post by curlykinks 26th November 2009, 10:10 pm

Wow, I can't believe you've been transitioning for so long. That's awesome! I didn't have the patience - as soon as I decided I wanted to be natural, I had to cut to the chase...literally!
curlykinks
curlykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by Belizeanbeauty 26th November 2009, 11:24 pm

I know what you mean curlykinks, everytime I wash my hair I am tempted to cut off the relaxed ends lol.
Belizeanbeauty
Belizeanbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by LilMsPuddles 26th November 2009, 11:35 pm

You make me feel normal! I thought I was the only person who never BCed.
LilMsPuddles
LilMsPuddles

http://twitter.com/Ms_Puddles

Back to top Go down

Post by Enchantment 27th November 2009, 12:57 am

I never BC either and I've been transitioning since February 25, 2006. I just got regular trims and mini hair cuts Smile. Happy Transitioning.
Enchantment
Enchantment

Back to top Go down

Post by Belizeanbeauty 12th April 2010, 1:01 pm

I actually ended my transition in March after 3 years of growing out my relaxer and I am so glad that I decided to wait it out to get the length I wanted. I really loved the length of my relaxed hair and i wasnt ready to part with it. I was determined to have long natural hair and currently my hair is straightened and the longest layer is waistlength and the shortest layer is almost bra strap length. My transition got easier after the first 6 months and by 1.5 years into my transition it was such a breeze that I decided to go for even longer. Trust me when I say that you have to have a goal in mind, mine was to be at least bsl when I cut the relaxed ends off. You will have a lot of people wondering why you are taking so long to cut the ends off. For me my hair was almost hip length when i cut off the relaxed ends and it was so hard to cut those ends off bcuz I grew attached to the length, but I reminded myself that i met my goal of transitioning for three years and I snipped off those ends.

I felt different at first, not necessarily free bcuz my hair felt so short (crazy I know bcuz my hair was ridiculously long after the little chop lol) and I had to adjust to having layered hair as opposed to the blunt all one length hair that ive had for the past 5 years. But my first wash after cutting off the ends i felt so free!! I saw all my hair curly for the first time since i was 13! My hair is now back to the length it was when I was a child and I love it. I thought detangling my transitioning hair was a breeze, but my completely natural hair is even easier to detangle, im still shocked lol! I have the urge to wet my hair even more just to see it curly. The only thing that bothers me is that the right side of my hair shrinks up more that the left, so my wash and goes look a little lopsided at times, and due to the layers my buns have little curls the stick out here and there as opposed to the sleek buns im used to. I also have to adjust to the different shape of my hair, the way it falls and the way my ponytails look. I am slowly trying to embrace the layers. When curly, the longest layer of my hair falls near bsl and the shortest layer near apl.

I have been fully natural for a month and I am LOVING my natural hair. I hope that your transition goes as well as mine did!
Belizeanbeauty
Belizeanbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 12th April 2010, 1:54 pm

Wow, congratulations on your looooooooooong transition.
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 12th April 2010, 1:57 pm

3 years! Belizeanbeauty's Long Term Transition to Natural Hair Icon_eek

Congratulations! Now, were are the pics?
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Belizeanbeauty 12th April 2010, 2:07 pm

Thanks so much ladies! I havent been able to take any pics because I have been swamped with work and moving into my new apartment. As soon as i get my internet connected i will upload pics from my transition and my completely natural hair. HHG!
Belizeanbeauty
Belizeanbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 12th April 2010, 2:10 pm

You're GOOD, because I barely lasted six months. I was climbing the walls at THREE months, never mind six! Anways, congrats and we can't wait to see the pics! Belizeanbeauty's Long Term Transition to Natural Hair 617583
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MomnWife 12th April 2010, 6:01 pm

Hi, it's nice to meet you. My family is Belizean!
MomnWife
MomnWife

http://www.youravon.com/dsumner

Back to top Go down

Post by bholmes87 12th April 2010, 6:05 pm

I am so amazed that you made it 3 years!!!! How exciting! And CONGRATULATIONS!!! woot!
bholmes87
bholmes87

http://fotki.com/bholmes87

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 12th April 2010, 6:08 pm

Wow congrats!!! Can't wait to see pics
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by jcanalena79 12th April 2010, 6:25 pm

Congrats!! flower
jcanalena79
jcanalena79

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 14th May 2010, 7:00 pm

details please!! how did you make it that long without breakage? How often did you wash your hair? did you ever use shampoo? what kind of moisturizer/how often? I'm in awe of your restraint!!!

it's really hard to decide when to cut.

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikcoils 14th May 2010, 7:57 pm

I never BC'd either. Through most of my transitioning I was still going to the salon and my stylist who was natural also encouraged me going natural. So she was good and doing deep coditioning and triming my ends till all of the prem was gone.
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 14th May 2010, 8:30 pm

32 months? I'm hard pressed to wait 9 more days! LOL It's not that transitioning is hard, like you said after so long it's pretty easy, I'm just eager to see my curls. It'll be back to this length before this time next year so I'm not overly concerned about that. But wow@ 32 months, definitely could not have been me (I probably would have run out of relaxed ends to clip around 24 months Smile )
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kinkymommie 2nd June 2010, 10:49 am

I am glad to hear that after 6 months it seemed to get easier. It has been 6 months for me and I thought it was just me that it seem like it was getting easier. I am really excited that it will even become better.
Very inspirational that you went so long. What were your main style during the major tranistion?
kinkymommie
kinkymommie

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 2nd June 2010, 1:17 pm

Wow 3years!!!!! I got overly anxious after 2months and BC'd. I didn't wanna miss any step of my natural journey lol. But I can't wait to see pics
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down