CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DvaAuNaturel

+40
kinksncurls
Prinsis
nattyblog
Renny
mstokes2008
NhappyJackie
DaButterflyBAP
LaToya28
Ms.Mai
summerbreeze76
CocoEuro
Intelligentbeauty
priceless
coilykinks
CocaColaCutie
wyldhoney
BlondeByDesire
MellowOne
CurlsGalore
AfrikanLatina
LadyMika
swoodward
EmbracingNaturalMe
cyclingchick
ChrsLvsBks
BajanPrincess82
CrissyQ
sweetdrk1
NylaCoils
WhosThatRedHead
NubieNatty
Hurricane Curly
DvaAuNaturel
bholmes87
TheRYL1
poeticlyspkng
KinkyNappyHappy
krazy coils
iri9109
Lynnieluve
44 posters

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Go down

DvaAuNaturel - Page 13 Empty Re: DvaAuNaturel

Post by DvaAuNaturel 14th February 2011, 6:36 pm

Hey Curly Divas,

On Saturday we had a meetup in the DMV. We had a great turnout; there were about 70 people in all who attended. Fleurtzy of Texture Playground/La Boutique de Fleurtzy came out and talked to the ladies and our very own ChrsLvsBks did her hair talk presentation. They both did an awesome job.

Here are some pics from the event. DvaAuNaturel - Page 13 Img_0022

DvaAuNaturel - Page 13 Img_0023

DvaAuNaturel - Page 13 Img_0024

DvaAuNaturel - Page 13 Img_0025

DvaAuNaturel - Page 13 Img_0025

DvaAuNaturel - Page 13 Img_0027

DvaAuNaturel - Page 13 Img_0028

DvaAuNaturel - Page 13 Img_0029

DvaAuNaturel - Page 13 Img_0030

DvaAuNaturel - Page 13 Img_0031

DvaAuNaturel - Page 13 Img_0032

DvaAuNaturel - Page 13 Img_0033
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclingchick 15th February 2011, 1:28 am

Great pics, Dva! Glad the event was a success. cheers
cyclingchick
cyclingchick

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 16th February 2011, 1:22 am

wow, love the pics!! And Fluerys (spell check) from textured playground blog was there.

Dva, I don't know if Sweet reached out to you yet. But we need ideas for our meet up this saturday cheers . Inbox me some please, if you didn't speak to Sweet already.

TIA
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 16th February 2011, 8:50 am

Hey DVA,

You mentioned that your hair has been dry lately, have you changed any products you've been using or added anything new?
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 17th February 2011, 6:39 pm

cyclingchick wrote:Great pics, Dva! Glad the event was a success. cheers

Thanks. I'm happy it went well also.

Intelligentbeauty wrote:wow, love the pics!! And Fluerys (spell check) from textured playground blog was there.

Dva, I don't know if Sweet reached out to you yet. But we need ideas for our meet up this saturday cheers . Inbox me some please, if you didn't speak to Sweet already.

TIA

I just sent Sweet a PM. Emailing her at work too.

krazy coils wrote:Hey DVA,

You mentioned that your hair has been dry lately, have you changed any products you've been using or added anything new?

Hey KC,

I haven't been really consistent lately. I've been trying different things but still pretty much following my normal co-wash, apply LI, seal, and then gel.

I wonder if my color is starting to dry me out but I don't think that's it. I think it's either I need to step up the deep conditioning, apply more leave in on really wet/dripping wet hair versus damp, or stick to a set group of products ( Evil or Very Mad ).

I'm really trying to do the CG method since its so focused on conditioning the hair. I did something today from the new CG book and my hair loved it. It sucked up the conditioner like water. I applied Jessicurl Too Shea! to dripping wet hair and the product started absorbing into my hair strands in no time. I'm not sure what is off.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 18th February 2011, 11:31 pm

I'm heading back to the salon after months of coloring at home. My hair is super dry lately and I just want to avoid any future possible problems of damage from hair color. I am going back to the salon that did my updated color and BC in Sept. but a different stylist, one of the two in the salon that specialize in curly hair. I watched her do a cut/style last time I was there and liked her work. Anyhow, I'm excited and hope it goes well.

Got the new updated Curly Girl book. It's very informative. Realized I've been cowashing wrong. I guess wrong might not be the right work. I just haven't been using the conditioner to clean my hair properly and maximize its benefits. For instance, you should apply the conditioner to dry hair before getting in the shower and let it sit for a while before just applying it and washing. Something keeps leading me back to the CG. I really want to avoid shampooing my hair as much as possible, especially with my color so I'm looking for the most gentle and effective way to grow my hair long and keep it healthy. I'm revisiting it, yet again. We'll see what happens. This book goes into a little more detail about our curls and provides more specific routine/regimen steps.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 21st February 2011, 6:33 am

Do you think there's info in the book that's not online?
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 21st February 2011, 9:03 am

That book sounds interesting, I may have to look into it. When I co-wash I wasn't putting the conditioner on dry hair so I need to get that book and read up on it. Definitely increase your deep conditioning since you have color in your hair. When you go to the salon ask them if you should also add a protein treatment to your regimen since you have color in your hair. When I colored my hair I remember my stylist recommended I do some type of protein/reconstructor treatment to make sure the color was breaking my hair or making it weak.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 21st February 2011, 11:31 am

Dva, sorry to hear about the dryness. I've never had that problem, although I don't use a specific color per se - mine is just a lightner.

I hope your salon visit goes well. I really wish I could fine one here in Charlotte - I really want to treat myself to just one salon visit.
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 21st February 2011, 2:15 pm

Juices-n-Berries wrote:Do you think there's info in the book that's not online?

You may be able to find the information online. I'm not really sure. I know that there is a possibility the new book details may be discussed on NaturallyCurly.com since the first book and the CG routine was discussed there.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 21st February 2011, 2:18 pm

BlondeByDesire wrote:Dva, sorry to hear about the dryness. I've never had that problem, although I don't use a specific color per se - mine is just a lightner.

I hope your salon visit goes well. I really wish I could fine one here in Charlotte - I really want to treat myself to just one salon visit.

I found a salon. Crossing my fingers, praying for good results. I was very, very frank when I called to schedule my appointment. The guy on the phone just laughed and said he understood.

I go Wednesday for an updated color and cut. I noticed that the last time my hair was cut in the tapered style although she cut my hair dry my hair is long in the back on one side but not the other. I notice it when I'm washing it. Luckily curly hair is forgiving so when it's all curled up it's hard to notice the difference.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 21st February 2011, 2:21 pm

krazy coils wrote:That book sounds interesting, I may have to look into it. When I co-wash I wasn't putting the conditioner on dry hair so I need to get that book and read up on it. Definitely increase your deep conditioning since you have color in your hair. When you go to the salon ask them if you should also add a protein treatment to your regimen since you have color in your hair. When I colored my hair I remember my stylist recommended I do some type of protein/reconstructor treatment to make sure the color was breaking my hair or making it weak.

I've been very bad recently. I didn't DC last week at all. I didn't realize that could really contribute to my dryness this much but that may be the issue.

And one thing I know for sure is that I'm protein sensitive so I don't know about that. The couple of times I've used protein based products my hair was like straw. But I will ask about treatments to see what they recommend. I guess I cannot skip my DC's.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 21st February 2011, 2:38 pm

Good luck with your salon visit! I know exactly what you mean by getting hair cut while it's curly. I had to have honey trim me up. It was very uneven
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 26th February 2011, 1:54 pm

Hey Curly Divas,

In celebration of my 1 year natural, 2-24-11, woot! I got my hair done the other day. So far, I like this salon. (Oasis Salon in Rockville, MD). I decided not to go back to the place where I got my BC and color in Sept. They didn't get my color right when I went for a retouch and I don't want to chance anything. Anyhow, the new salon is a Deva concepts, trained, curly hair focused, and Deva products salon. Found them on the Deva site. My results are great. We did a color consultation, which I've never had before and she trimmed up my hair. My hair was a little uneven in the back and on the sides (longer in some places than in some where it should not have been). I could feel it when I shampooed/co-washed my hair. I also discovered, and the stylist confirmed, that my hair is denser (thicker) in the back middle and top parts of my hair. She trimmed it up just a little and didn't take off too much at all. She litterally took small sections of my hair and went around my entire (big Very Happy ) head to cut.

I have also come to the realization that I jump around waaaaaaaayyyyyy too much with products and regimens. Consistency has not been my strong suit for the past year but I have comitted to following the curly girl routine officially for at least the next 90 days. I actually joined the CurlyNikki & Kim Coles Grow Out Challenge to help me track for the next 6 mos on NaturallyCurly.com. The stylist said that you must give your hair time to respond to whatever it is you are doing to see if it's working. I know there are times though when I know right off that things are not for my hair, such as heavy protein based products. That equals straw hair for me. But for other things like leave in conditioners or following a set regimen or using a specific product line it takes time to assess the effectiveness.

I tried the CG routine before, all wrong by both from what I've read in the book and from the stylist. I don't know but I think this method will really work for my hair. Sometimes you just know and I guess that's why I keep trying. So I'm no pooing initially and using conditioners (botanically based) only to cleanse my hair 1x/week, along with using Deva Heavin in Hair (conditioning moisturizer/styler) and Mister Right (curl revitalizer/spritz/scalp cleanser if needed). If my hair doesn't respond positively to that I'll start using the Deva Low Poo. Start with less and add more as needed. I have to go back for color in 4-6 weeks (depending on how much growth I have and gray shows) so we can assess. The stylist didn't try to sell me a bunch of stuff either. I was glad about that too. I decided to go to the salon because my hair was looking dry on the ends I think from the home coloring. Or it could have been a combination of things like jumping from product to product. IDK. But this year I plan to figure things out. And no more cuts until it grows some. The stylist suggested that and I agreed 100%. Get some length and then decide on future cutting.

Anyway, I hope the salon works out. I dind't have to worry about what was being used on my hair or feel awkward about asking about using my products, etc. Much more comfortable. And her hair was natural too.

In other news, I am so excited about the new iPad release date. I plan to get mine next week when it comes out. I'm so excited. bounce Just found out it's an announcement about iPad2 not the actual release date.

I'll post pics later. Since my dog ate my camera I'm still using my sisters and she has to help me load the pics.

Later divas!

Last edited by DvaAuNaturel on 26th February 2011, 5:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 26th February 2011, 2:10 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:Good luck with your salon visit! I know exactly what you mean by getting hair cut while it's curly. I had to have honey trim me up. It was very uneven

It was a very positive experience. cheers I'm extremely pleased with the results. The stylist explained a lot and answered my many questions. My hair was uneven (longer hair near the nape of the neck Suspect) and I knew it. I feel the difference. I plan to return. Hope to make this place my regular spot.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclingchick 26th February 2011, 7:37 pm

Hey Dva...

Glad you had such a positive experience at the salon...and kudos to the stylist for a. taking her time and b. knowing how to cut curly hair. My supervisor is 3a and she went to a new place that basically left her sporting the dreaded triangle shape. She was livid!

I hop all over the place with products too. I just passed the 6 month mark and I'm determined to stick to a regimen as I approach the 1 year mark.

Can't wait to see pics...have a great weekend!
cyclingchick
cyclingchick

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 27th February 2011, 8:05 pm

Hey Dva, thanks for the story. Glad ou had such a great eperience at the salon. hose are hard to come by when you are natural. I am looking forward to see the pics.
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by kelleemudiva 2nd March 2011, 2:26 pm

Hey Dva, thanks for review of the salon and the curly girl handbook. I have been contemplating whether or not I could do the curly girl method for the warmer months since it takes forever for my hair to dry.
kelleemudiva
kelleemudiva

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 11th March 2011, 12:11 pm

Hi Dva,

just stopping by ... I hope all is well.

have a great weekend.
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 15th March 2011, 4:26 pm

Hey Dva

I think I caught up...I love your meet-up pictures. Looks like y'all had a lot of fun!!! I'm glad you found someone you can trust to do your hair, and keep your color up.

I can't wait to see pictures!! TTYL
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13