CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diva Cup

+9
gemofacurlgirl
Gado-Gado Gal
kikicoily
R2D2
LuvMeLuvMyFro
AfrikanLatina
Neems
ChrsLvsBks
TerraD
13 posters

Go down

Diva Cup Empty Diva Cup

Post by TerraD 13th July 2010, 1:55 am

Hey Ladies,

I have been trying to get myself to purchase the Diva Cup for over a year. My friend and I were going to purchase it last year, but freaked out after seeing it in person. Have you heard of the Diva Cup? Do you or someone you know use it?

www.divacup.com

It's a safer and eco-friendly alternative to tampons and pads. Click the link above and let me know what you think!

Thanks ladies!
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Diva Cup Empty Re: Diva Cup

Post by ChrsLvsBks 13th July 2010, 9:44 am

I, too, am interested. I just haven't taken the plunge yet. I plan to before menopause, LOL!
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 13th July 2010, 11:47 am

yeah, i've been meaning to try this too.
Neems
Neems

http://neemsnthings.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 13th July 2010, 1:20 pm

I looked at it yesterday after seeing the comment on the main page. I'm going to do some more research. I had never even heard of it.
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvMeLuvMyFro 13th July 2010, 8:32 pm

I tried it before and the box is somewhere collecting dust. It is...different. I was okay with it until the morning of the big accident and after having to clean my bathroom floor [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] , I swore it off. I can't blame it all on the product I know I share the blame.
LuvMeLuvMyFro
LuvMeLuvMyFro

http://www.designsavvysalon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 13th July 2010, 9:34 pm

I had a classmate that LOVED hers, I'm a bit of a chicken.

LMLMF: Was it big, or hard to use....If you don't mind me asking? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvMeLuvMyFro 13th July 2010, 9:57 pm

It wasn't big or hard to use but the removal process isn't the best and thats where I went wrong. I began using it after doing research on TSS and reading a few different blogs. I think it is one of those things that you should just try because everybodys experience is different.
LuvMeLuvMyFro
LuvMeLuvMyFro

http://www.designsavvysalon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 13th July 2010, 11:18 pm

Thanks! I may have to just give it a try!
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 15th July 2010, 6:46 am

I owned one but much to my disappointment I found it too difficult to put in. I love the concept and it has a lot of rave reviews though, I think I'm an unusual case so don't let it put you off giving it a try. Just thing of all the extra money you can save from tampons/pads to spend on haircare products!
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 15th July 2010, 10:47 am

LOL, R2D2, that's my point! It's so expensive being a woman. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by kikicoily 19th August 2010, 11:38 am

I know I'm late, but I had to respond that I love, love LOVE my diva cup! I'm pregnant now, but I had been using it for about 2 years and I plan to go right back to it when the time comes. It is very comfortable, but it does take some getting used to inserting and removing. I would say to those of you that didn't have success with it to keep trying a few more cycles. It takes a few to really get used to it. It's the best - no more pads and tampons to dispose of, very environmentally friendly.
kikicoily
kikicoily

http://theverdebutterfly.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gado-Gado Gal 19th August 2010, 1:30 pm

Hi ladies,

I've been using a combination of the Keeper (another menstrual cup company (older than DivaCup makers) that has a natural rubber version) and Natracare liners and tampons for over 5 years. I'd been a tampon user since I started menstruating, but realized the health risks and environmental waste. I decided to try cloth pads before other eco-friendly alternatives. I found the Glad Rags to be very bulky (perhaps because I wasn't used to wearing pads), and it was a considerable financial investment to have enough to use this as my primary method.

I then tried the Keeper. I found this to be fantastic for my heaviest days, where I'd normally go through several Super tampons or pads in one day. The Keeper collects several hours of flow (at least double the amount of time I'd go with one tampon), and with a panty liner just in case I let it collect too long (or forget about it which is often!), it is my favorite method. The Keeper is soft, so it is very easy to fold and manipulate to put in - it didn't take me long to learn to do it correctly (a couple of days before I did it quickly and didn't feel it). And removal right over the toilet bowl is very easy - you just have to learn to hover a bit - good for working those thigh muscles! LOL! When my flow is low and there is less lubrication, I find it is less comfortable to wear (some people apply a lubricant to the cup but I prefer to abstain from putting other substances up there), so I switch to tampons or pads toward the end of my cycle.

A friend of mine abandoned the DivaCup because it was too hard and left her sore. I think the hardness of it may make it more difficult to insert, too. She also ended up trimming too much off of the "tail" which added to the discomfort. I've never had to trim the tail of the Keeper, and it is odor free and as soft feeling as when I first bought it 5 years ago. I highly recommend you try the Keeper, the original rubber version (what I have), or the Keeper Moon Cup, the silicone version if you are allergic to latex.

To see other menstrual cups available, look here. If you're into buying local, The Keeper is made in the US, and the DivaCup is made in Canada.

Lastly, while visiting my boyfriend in Australia I'd tried using a local brand of pure cotton pads and tampons. I found myself with terrible cramps like I'd never had in my life. I then found a natural foods store that stocked Naturacare products made with organic cotton, and picked some up since that is my normal brand at home. No cramps. Coincidence? Nope! There's a lot of information out there about how risky treated cotton is for use in menstrual products, but there's also even more about the hazards of any kind of tampon. I'm going to switch to just the Keeper and pads, and abandon tampons for good. It makes sense if I'm using all natural products on my head to use only natural products for my most sensitive parts, right?

Please feel to ask me questions!

HTH
Gado-Gado Gal
Gado-Gado Gal

Back to top Go down

Post by kikicoily 19th August 2010, 1:53 pm

@ Gado-Gado Gal, your comment about the cramps and treated pads is so interesting because when I was using Always, I remember having cramps basically every day of my period and now that I use the Diva Cup, I only notice them on the first day and they are mild compared to what I used to have. Makes you think, huh? I had heard of the Keeper, but I didn't realize that it was soft - I agree the Diva Cup can be quite rigid, but I figured that would help to make sure it stays in place. As with everything, it depends on the individual and I'm glad you are having success with the Keeper. Either one is better, IMO, in terms of health and the environment.
kikicoily
kikicoily

http://theverdebutterfly.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gemofacurlgirl 19th August 2010, 3:57 pm

I have been wanting to try the diva cup for awile now reusable pads are a good idea too but it's the washing them that gives me pause. The idea of not having to buy pads and tampons every month is one a good one. thanks for the info !
gemofacurlgirl
gemofacurlgirl

Back to top Go down

Post by cocomizu 8th November 2010, 7:15 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Divacup. I'm mad I went decades without it.
I have to say though that I probably found it easy because I also use female condoms. If you've ever inserted a female condom then the Divacup is no problem! You do have to be comfortable with your body and have knowledge of your pc muscles lol but it's great once you are used to it. For those scared of the size there are many other menstrual cup companies that have smaller sizes. Check out the reviews (EDITED link):
http://community.livejournal.com/menstrual_cups

I manage an entire cycle with the Divacup and 4 reusable pads (2 overnight/2 light days) and about 3 liners. I only use the Divacup for heavy flow days and use the reusable pads for the other days. It's a tremendous relief to not have to carry a bunch of stuff and know I'm filling up landfills and sometimes my man's trash with "girl things."

Last edited by cocomizu on 11th November 2010, 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Bad link before)

cocomizu

Back to top Go down

Post by courtrhapsody 11th November 2010, 3:42 pm

Do you only need to own one? At 32 dollars that is pretty economical if it lasts a while.
courtrhapsody
courtrhapsody

Back to top Go down

Post by cocomizu 11th November 2010, 4:49 pm

Courtrhapsody yes! You only need one. The Divacup recommends buying a new one once a year. Not everybody follows that, but even if you do consider you still saved quite a bit 32/12 months vs 5-6.00 every month on disposables. I can see where price is a drawback if you are not sure you will use it. It takes a cycle or two to get comfortable, but now I can't imagine going back to disposables.

cocomizu

Back to top Go down

Post by cluelesscurl 5th January 2011, 10:53 am

check out my review on this product it's my siggy

cluelesscurl

Back to top Go down

Post by Indigo.Blue 7th January 2011, 7:32 am

Thanks for this post (especially Gado-Gado-Gal)...I have been wanting to try one for a while. Everytime I go to Whole Foods I look, next time I will purchase...
Indigo.Blue
Indigo.Blue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down