CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Protecting Colored Natural Hair

+9
Curlykid78
earniece
MzLaLaRochelle
Umph
sweetdrk1
simplysloan
rayray19
QueenCrystal
DvaAuNaturel
13 posters

Go down

Protecting Colored Natural Hair Empty Protecting Colored Natural Hair

Post by DvaAuNaturel 20th November 2010, 11:25 pm

I starting getting my hair professionally colored this fall. It's done monthly, mainly to cover my gray hair. I've been very consistent about deep treating my hair weekly, sometimes 2x/week, so that I can make sure it's not drying out due to the color. I'm starting to get concerned and want to stretch out my colorings to 6-8 weeks. No reason in particular for the concern. I just really am paranoid about damage to my hair and drying it out. What can I do to ensure my hair is healthy with the color? I wanted to see what others may be doing to protect the hair but continue to rock their colored hair.

TIA!
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Protecting Colored Natural Hair Empty Re: Protecting Colored Natural Hair

Post by QueenCrystal 21st November 2010, 6:54 am

Well I don't know much about dying it, but! Have you tried Henna? http://www.curlynikki.com/search/label/Henna I know I know, henna doesn't actually color your hair but it can give you a bit of a dark brown hue, and it strengthens your hair making it thicker and stronger, Good news: It can get rid of the grays, bad news, not too colorful.

Hope i've helped!
QueenCrystal
QueenCrystal

Back to top Go down

Post by QueenCrystal 21st November 2010, 7:47 am

QueenCrystal
QueenCrystal

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 21st November 2010, 4:10 pm

I do a black rinse in my hair once a month..I love dark jet black hair!!..a black rinse isn't as damaging as lighter colors because it doesn't lift the hair color so i haven't had any damages with it...but to protect it from the color i make sure i DC once a week, and co-wash with yes to cucumber..the yes to cucumber conditioner is made for colored treated hair so that's a plus..also i moisturize my hair real good at least twice a day (especially since its winter time)

hoped i helped Very Happy
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by simplysloan 21st November 2010, 4:38 pm

I use Aussie Moist 3 minute Miracle Deeeeeeep Condish. I slather it on and leave it on for a few hours.

Im currently only colored because of the henna, but sometimes it can be drying. The Aussie has really helped maintain my moisture. Sometimes I add a bit of honey warmed in the microwave. (Honey will lighten your hair over time I learned earlier this year. heating it briefly will kill the lightening properties, and maintain the moisturizing ones.)
simplysloan
simplysloan

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 21st November 2010, 10:55 pm

QueenCrystal wrote:Well I don't know much about dying it, but! Have you tried Henna? http://www.curlynikki.com/search/label/Henna I know I know, henna doesn't actually color your hair but it can give you a bit of a dark brown hue, and it strengthens your hair making it thicker and stronger, Good news: It can get rid of the grays, bad news, not too colorful.

Hope i've helped!

Hey Queen, I've been down the henna and indigo path already. Thanks for the suggestion though but it didn't give me the coverage I needed and I had to end up cutting my hair to get it out. Won't go back there again.

rayray19 wrote:I do a black rinse in my hair once a month..I love dark jet black hair!!..a black rinse isn't as damaging as lighter colors because it doesn't lift the hair color so i haven't had any damages with it...but to protect it from the color i make sure i DC once a week, and co-wash with yes to cucumber..the yes to cucumber conditioner is made for colored treated hair so that's a plus..also i moisturize my hair real good at least twice a day (especially since its winter time)

hoped i helped Very Happy

Mad No black with this gray. It shows through too much for me that's why I went to a color a little bit lighter so the gray doesn't show up too much. And I geuss I'm doing everything right and need to stop worrying. I also use YTCucumbers (love it) and DC weekly. I'm just going to stick with what I'm doing. You know what they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Very Happy

simplysloan wrote:I use Aussie Moist 3 minute Miracle Deeeeeeep Condish. I slather it on and leave it on for a few hours.

Im currently only colored because of the henna, but sometimes it can be drying. The Aussie has really helped maintain my moisture. Sometimes I add a bit of honey warmed in the microwave. (Honey will lighten your hair over time I learned earlier this year. heating it briefly will kill the lightening properties, and maintain the moisturizing ones.)

I've heard others on here discuss the Aussie Moist conditioners. I'll check that out. Thanks for sharing.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 21st November 2010, 11:08 pm

Dva, I make sure I dc with evoo and honey! I put some sort of moisturizer on daoily and seal with oil! I have highlights and no issues. Now I don get it done over as often..hth
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Umph 23rd November 2010, 2:55 pm

I recently had my hair dyed brownish red. I will have to try honey for DC. Can the honey be used with EVCO? I don't care for olive oil. Does any type/brand honey work? I like the idea of lightening my hair without blonde hilights.
Umph
Umph

Back to top Go down

Post by MzLaLaRochelle 1st December 2010, 11:53 am

I dyed my hair around the 4th of July & my hair has managed to remain moisturized and healthy since. I deep condition 1-2x weekly w/ Yes To Cucumbers Conditioner, Giovanni Hair Reconstructor, EVCO, Honey, and a few drops of lavender EO. I loooove the results. Occasionally, when I'm all out of YTC, I use Kiss My Face 'Whenever' Conditioner &/or Giovanni SAS. Let me know how it works for you if you are able to try it!
MzLaLaRochelle
MzLaLaRochelle

http://public.fotki.com/MzLaLaRochelle/

Back to top Go down

Post by Umph 1st December 2010, 8:20 pm

MzLaLaRochelle wrote:I dyed my hair around the 4th of July & my hair has managed to remain moisturized and healthy since. I deep condition 1-2x weekly w/ Yes To Cucumbers Conditioner, Giovanni Hair Reconstructor, EVCO, Honey, and a few drops of lavender EO. I loooove the results. Occasionally, when I'm all out of YTC, I use Kiss My Face 'Whenever' Conditioner &/or Giovanni SAS. Let me know how it works for you if you are able to try it!
MzLaLaRochelle, do you get great results with the Kiss My Face 'Whenever' Conditioner? Do you also use the shampoo?
Umph
Umph

Back to top Go down

Post by MzLaLaRochelle 2nd December 2010, 11:24 am

@Umph Yes, I'm in love with Kiss My Face Conditioner...the slip is great & my curls always come out super defined & soft. I don't use shampoo, I use the ACV rinse method instead (but only once per month).
MzLaLaRochelle
MzLaLaRochelle

http://public.fotki.com/MzLaLaRochelle/

Back to top Go down

Protecting Colored Natural Hair Empty Thanks!!

Post by earniece 2nd December 2010, 6:12 pm

Thanks for all the great info in this post. I just colored my hair and needed ideas for deep conditioning treatments. woot!
earniece
earniece

http://www.twitter.com/earniece

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlykid78 3rd December 2010, 1:34 am

hi. i have color - low and high caramel highlights. my secert.

1. use a color safe shampoo/conditioner, - i use miss jessie or mixed chicks

2. deep condition weekly - i use mixed chicks

3. ALWAYS rinse deep conditioner out with cold cold water to lock in mositure.

4. Apply olive oil and a leave in cond.
Curlykid78
Curlykid78

https://www.youtube.com/user/DrCurlyKid32

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 4th December 2010, 1:41 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:Dva, I make sure I dc with evoo and honey! I put some sort of moisturizer on daoily and seal with oil! I have highlights and no issues. Now I don get it done over as often..hth

Hey Sweet. Thanks for the tip. I'm going to give the EVOO + Honey DC a try. That's nice and simple.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebastain13 4th December 2010, 7:25 pm

I have thought about a black rinse for my hair I have alot of gray around my hairline Im not sure about it Has any one here done a rinse & how did it turn out I havent had any color in my hair inn 71/2 months Permanent hair color is what caused it to come out so Im a little hesitant to put the rinse in
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Back to top Go down

Protecting Colored Natural Hair Empty Damaged Diva

Post by msAfriKanaChiC 11th December 2010, 3:45 am

Thanks to everyone for your posts on how to maintain colored hair. I have multi caramel/copper/light brown hair that I KNOW is damaged now but I'm trying to restore its health. I love coloring so much, esp during the summer/fall months and I didnt do any research on how to maintain my hair. This has helped so much!! I love you

msAfriKanaChiC

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 11th December 2010, 1:34 pm

Sebastain13 wrote:I have thought about a black rinse for my hair I have alot of gray around my hairline Im not sure about it Has any one here done a rinse & how did it turn out I havent had any color in my hair inn 71/2 months Permanent hair color is what caused it to come out so Im a little hesitant to put the rinse in

Covering gray is a trip. I've been doing rinses. I use Jazzing. I had no problems with dryness at all, but I DC my hair weekly and did a DC right after. Like you my hair is gray around the hairline. The rinses don't last at all. I mean not more than two or three washes. I wash my hair once a week so it's like all that work and in two weeks I'm gray again. I need to do something. I'm extremely unhappy with the gray but I don't know that I'm ready to start doing semi-permanent color yet.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 1st January 2011, 2:17 pm

DvaAuNaturel wrote:
sweetdrk1 wrote:Dva, I make sure I dc with evoo and honey! I put some sort of moisturizer on daoily and seal with oil! I have highlights and no issues. Now I don get it done over as often..hth

Hey Sweet. Thanks for the tip. I'm going to give the EVOO + Honey DC a try. That's nice and simple.
DVA I will even add honey and EVOO to one of my cheep condish as well. I have had not issues at all. Now that I cut most of the color out..I will get it colored over before the month is over!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by sulutomy 22nd January 2011, 12:58 am

Coloured natural hair is must have to protect with the sun and day lights. Keep it freeze or make it freeze and keep out before 10 minutes on using time. It is such a very much good and best hair product.

sulutomy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 27th January 2011, 6:45 pm

i just might color mines after a year of grow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down