CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hair Supplements?

+20
tressedforsuccess
divinelight360
neethair
BlakButterfli
Talisa3636
alainabee
cutephantasm
Curl-a-licious
CurlyCaramelCutie
naturallydestined
beAutiFul.jOuRnee
tiashaunteé
Foufie
TerraD
Intrigue
natural83
MsCrystal
ty
MsCurlyBella
asanterochelle
24 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Hair Supplements? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hair Supplements?

Post by Curl-a-licious 28th November 2009, 1:22 am

Thanks you guys this is so much information, I love hearing and learning. I do take Biotin and Calcium. It hasn't been a month but its only 1,000mg of biotin for 120 days. My hair is very thick so as long as the thining isn't something like OMG I'm bad! Then I'm okay. I also take two a day, just because the pills aren't huge like my calcium that I choke on even when I break them ^_^
Curl-a-licious
Curl-a-licious

http://beyond-the-epidermis.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 18th December 2009, 4:43 am

natural83 wrote:
ty wrote:@Natural83 - I take 5000 mcg of Biotin and 1000 mg of the MSM daily. Yeah, you could definitely find the MSM at a GNC or Vitamin Shoppe.

@ty Okay girl...I went today and got 5000mcg of Biotin & 1000mg of MSM! You've officially inspired me with your pics! LOL! And plus I did some research on it myself and saw where they are a good combo...read where MSM really helps obtain lengthening of the hair! And that's exactly what Im trying to achieve! So we shall see how it works on me! Im excited!

***UPDATE***

Okay guys...Im on this Biotin/MSM hair growth journey, LOL, and yesterday 12/17/09 marked a month that I've consistently been taking the two supplements. Can't really tell if my hair has grown just yet...however, I do feel its looking fuller and healthier! I've also been Henna'ing too, so it could be do to that! My nails are very strong and growing by the minute! I plan on taking some pics so that I can see the difference, but have failed to do that! LOL! I've heard most people say that they see hair results from Biotin usally in 2-3 months. So I still have a while! Hopefully by next month, I can say WOW....I notice a difference! Until then, Im going to continue to take the vitamins and wait and see!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by cutephantasm 18th December 2009, 2:47 pm

The reason why B vitamins (like biotin) is toxic in high dosages is because your body excretes it. Your body absorbs a certain amount and the rest comes out "when you tinkle" lol therefore, when you use too much of certain vitamins (particularly the B vitamins) your kidneys have to work harder to get the excess out....you know you have too much in your system if your pee is an abnormal color (i.e very strong yellow, orange, etc) or smell. Thats the smell of the vitamins...also if you are urinating more frequently I would reccommend lowering the dosage.

Also, remember that if you take a multivitamin as well, that too most likely have the RDA (Reccommended daily allowance) of B vitamins in it (Biotin, Riboflavin, B6, Niacin aka B3, and Folic Acid particularly)

My Undergrad thesis was on the effect of the B vitamins and antibiotic resistance in fruit flies so I did a lot of research on B vitamins and antibiotics....it was actually pretty interesting the results but they arent relevant here! lol

This is a quesiton for the resident chemist!
cutephantasm
cutephantasm

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 18th December 2009, 2:50 pm

cutephantasm wrote:The reason why B vitamins (like biotin) is toxic in high dosages is because your body excretes it. Your body absorbs a certain amount and the rest comes out "when you tinkle" lol therefore, when you use too much of certain vitamins (particularly the B vitamins) your kidneys have to work harder to get the excess out....you know you have too much in your system if your pee is an abnormal color (i.e very strong yellow, orange, etc) or smell. Thats the smell of the vitamins...also if you are urinating more frequently I would reccommend lowering the dosage.

Also, remember that if you take a multivitamin as well, that too most likely have the RDA (Reccommended daily allowance) of B vitamins in it (Biotin, Riboflavin, B6, Niacin aka B3, and Folic Acid particularly)

My Undergrad thesis was on the effect of the B vitamins and antibiotic resistance in fruit flies so I did a lot of research on B vitamins and antibiotics....it was actually pretty interesting the results but they arent relevant here! lol

This is a quesiton for the resident chemist!

Great info!!
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by alainabee 26th December 2009, 11:55 pm

I'm about to purchase Nature's Answer Liquid Hair Skin and Nails, because for the life of me, I cannot swallow large pills. It's a bit expensive - around $12, but I think it's worth it, and I hope it works.
alainabee
alainabee

http://sheslikeadream.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Talisa3636 31st December 2009, 4:20 pm

MSM is great! I used it daily over the summer and I did get a great amount of growth. It also helped out my muscles and joints as I was exercising daily and I had little joint or muscle pain. I need to use more of it since ive slacked off a bit!! I was going to used prenatals since I need the extra Iron but im using Garden of Life Raw One for women and its lovely. It absorbs great into the digestive system plus it has some biotin to balance off the MSM. TJ MSM is great and cheap, I recommend.
Talisa3636
Talisa3636

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 5th January 2010, 12:38 pm

I'd never heard of MSM before, but will be going to try some. I'm going to go broke trying all the CN.com user recommendations! lol I've been taking Biotin, but not MSM, so I'll get some of those this weekend and see how my tresses look in a few months.

Has anyone ever heard of/used HairFinity? I get a lot of e-mails from them and it promises lots of growth, etc...However, I am wary of trying products from sites where words have been misspelled. I don't know if it's because I was an English major or just because it makes the site not trustworthy, but I haven't tried them yet.
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by neethair 6th January 2010, 12:17 am

Hi Ladies-

Can you take too many vitamins? I am taking a Prenatal One (Multivitamin/Mineral) and GNC Hair, Skin & Nail Formula. I am wondering if I am getting too much of the vitamins (i.e 300mcg (prenatal) and 3000 mcg (HS&N). Is it harmful?
neethair
neethair

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 6th January 2010, 10:59 am

neethair wrote:Hi Ladies-

Can you take too many vitamins? I am taking a Prenatal One (Multivitamin/Mineral) and GNC Hair, Skin & Nail Formula. I am wondering if I am getting too much of the vitamins (i.e 300mcg (prenatal) and 3000 mcg (HS&N). Is it harmful?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.....but I asked one of my co-workers (I work with nurses and pharmacists) and I was told if you take too many vitamins that you will just end up having "expensive pee" (exact words).
What worries me is that your kidneys are working overtime to excrete all the excess. I need to do more research on this topic. I notice a lot of natural are taking a lot of vitamins/supplements
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallydestined 6th January 2010, 11:55 am

tiashauntee wrote:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.....but I asked one of my co-workers (I work with nurses and pharmacists) and I was told if you take too many vitamins that you will just end up having "expensive pee" (exact words).
What worries me is that your kidneys are working overtime to excrete all the excess. I need to do more research on this topic. I notice a lot of natural are taking a lot of vitamins/supplements

I'm a nurse and I couldn't agree more. I ditched my prenatal vitamins a month ago after reading some things. I only take Biotin (not the high dose) and some sub-lingual vit B drops (because I need the energy) and I take some vit. C. I think my hair and nails are growing just mainly because of my diet changes. Throw in a lot of leafy greens, some fruits, and protein, I think one does just fine. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I also cut the caffeine from my diet. I was addicted to Lipton's Green Tea but read that Caffeine inhibits hair growth in addition to a diet high in sugar and fat. I'm drinking more water now.

Last edited by naturallydestined on 6th January 2010, 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
naturallydestined
naturallydestined

http://members.fotki.com/NaturallyDestined/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by neethair 6th January 2010, 12:50 pm

Thanks Ladies for your reply. I have started to change my diet, in fact I am eating a bowl of fresh fruit right now [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. I am always concern about the long term effects. I don't want my hair to grow and risk my kidneys [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . Something to think about, I will do some more research on it.

Thanks again
neethair
neethair

Back to top Go down

Post by divinelight360 25th January 2010, 11:58 pm

Hi Ladies,
This thread is great. I BC'd in Nov so I have been looking for ways to grow health hair. I started taking prenatal vitamins before the cut just because it had more of what my dr. recommended without having to take so many additional supplements. I am thinking of switching to the country life maxi hair supplement because it has more vitamin % than my prenatal plus the biotin and msm. Has anyone used the maxi hair and noticed any significant growth?
divinelight360
divinelight360

Back to top Go down

Post by tressedforsuccess 28th January 2010, 6:18 pm

natural83 wrote:
natural83 wrote:
ty wrote:@Natural83 - I take 5000 mcg of Biotin and 1000 mg of the MSM daily. Yeah, you could definitely find the MSM at a GNC or Vitamin Shoppe.

@ty Okay girl...I went today and got 5000mcg of Biotin & 1000mg of MSM! You've officially inspired me with your pics! LOL! And plus I did some research on it myself and saw where they are a good combo...read where MSM really helps obtain lengthening of the hair! And that's exactly what Im trying to achieve! So we shall see how it works on me! Im excited!

***UPDATE***

Okay guys...Im on this Biotin/MSM hair growth journey, LOL, and yesterday 12/17/09 marked a month that I've consistently been taking the two supplements. Can't really tell if my hair has grown just yet...however, I do feel its looking fuller and healthier! I've also been Henna'ing too, so it could be do to that! My nails are very strong and growing by the minute! I plan on taking some pics so that I can see the difference, but have failed to do that! LOL! I've heard most people say that they see hair results from Biotin usally in 2-3 months. So I still have a while! Hopefully by next month, I can say WOW....I notice a difference! Until then, Im going to continue to take the vitamins and wait and see!

Did you notice any additional growth from the Biotin? I'm curious b/c I just noticed that my multi-vitamin has biotin in it (300 mcg) and my hair has been growing in shinier than usual. I'm not sure if it's growing any faster though, but that small amount of biotin may not be able to really effect growth in a meaningful way.
tressedforsuccess
tressedforsuccess

Back to top Go down

Post by curlyboricua 30th January 2010, 12:30 am

Hola Chicas,
I have actually just started taking Biotin plus my daily multi Vitamins. I hope that it works for me.
curlyboricua
curlyboricua

Back to top Go down

Hair Supplements? - Page 2 Empty maxi hair country time

Post by divinelight360 17th February 2010, 2:12 am

hi everyone, i just purchased the maxi hair supplements and started taking them today. Has anyone tried them and see results?
divinelight360
divinelight360

Back to top Go down

Post by tressedforsuccess 19th February 2010, 10:15 am

Is anybody else experiencing extreme NAIL growth from MSM? I'm not sure if my hair growth has accelerated, but I have had to clip my nails every week just to keep them at a manageable length.
tressedforsuccess
tressedforsuccess

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 19th February 2010, 1:22 pm

I am taking Biotin & MSM, and i've noticed extreeeeeeme nail growth! My nails are so strong and hard...there is no thinness anywhere!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by tressedforsuccess 19th February 2010, 2:24 pm

natural83 wrote:I am taking Biotin & MSM, and i've noticed extreeeeeeme nail growth! My nails are so strong and hard...there is no thinness anywhere!

My nails are really strong and hard, too. The downside is whenever I break one, it breaks lower and it really hurts!
tressedforsuccess
tressedforsuccess

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 19th February 2010, 7:22 pm

divinelight360 wrote:hi everyone, i just purchased the maxi hair supplements and started taking them today. Has anyone tried them and see results?

Im on the Maxi Hair supplements and I take One-A-Days as well! I've had great growth but Im unsure if its from taking better care of my hair or taking the vitamins. I took them religiously after my big chop but have slacked a little lately. I have two more bottles so Im going to try and get back on a regular schedule with them.
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 24th March 2010, 2:14 pm

jlowman1 wrote:
divinelight360 wrote:hi everyone, i just purchased the maxi hair supplements and started taking them today. Has anyone tried them and see results?

Im on the Maxi Hair supplements and I take One-A-Days as well! I've had great growth but Im unsure if its from taking better care of my hair or taking the vitamins. I took them religiously after my big chop but have slacked a little lately. I have two more bottles so Im going to try and get back on a regular schedule with them.

I just started taking them today too. it says take two a day, but i am only going to do one. i will post results in a month
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by krissyc39 9th May 2010, 7:07 pm

@ beAutiFul.jOuRnee

UNC Chapel Hill?? Cause I'm going there this fall and I'm super excited about it Very Happy
krissyc39
krissyc39

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2