CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hair Supplements?

+20
tressedforsuccess
divinelight360
neethair
BlakButterfli
Talisa3636
alainabee
cutephantasm
Curl-a-licious
CurlyCaramelCutie
naturallydestined
beAutiFul.jOuRnee
tiashaunteé
Foufie
TerraD
Intrigue
natural83
MsCrystal
ty
MsCurlyBella
asanterochelle
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hair Supplements? Empty Hair Supplements?

Post by asanterochelle 13th November 2009, 12:10 pm

I'm talkin' specifically Biotin and MSM.... I've heard enough about them that I dropped some $$ on a bottle of GNC Nourishair... Those of you who use these or any other hair growth vitamins/supplements, what kind of improvements have you seen? Do they really work? Or did I just give GNC some of my hard-earned cash for nothing lol. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

--asante
asanterochelle
asanterochelle

http://www.ark87@blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Hair Supplements? Empty Re: Hair Supplements?

Post by MsCurlyBella 13th November 2009, 3:01 pm

A little over a month ago I bought the "Maxi-Hair" vitamins by Country Life. I found them at my local health food store. They have great amounts of both the biotin and msm ( i think the amounts in this are higher than the GNC Nourishair ) My results have been fantastic so far! My hair grew a full inch in a month which is DOUBLE my normal growth rate! At the health food store I went to the one month supply (60 tablets) was $12.99 and the one and a half month supply (90 tablets) was $17.99 which I think is an incredible value for the pay off that I have had!

MsCurlyBella

Back to top Go down

Post by ty 13th November 2009, 9:30 pm

I started taking Biotin and MSM in July. Since I've started taking the supps and since I've curbed my addiction to trimming my hair I have seen some good growth. Here is a progress pic which shows some of the growth I've gotten so far:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
ty
ty

http://tysnaturalhairjourney.shutterfly.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MsCrystal 14th November 2009, 3:45 pm

I would like to experience hair growth, as well. I've been told that prenatal vitamins are good for growing your hair. I haven't purchased any though. Would Biotin be the best suggestion to take to help grow my hair?
MsCrystal
MsCrystal

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 15th November 2009, 1:47 am

ty wrote:I started taking Biotin and MSM in July. Since I've started taking the supps and since I've curbed my addiction to trimming my hair I have seen some good growth. Here is a progress pic which shows some of the growth I've gotten so far:

@ty Girl, you hair is too pretty and long! I am trying to acheive more length so I may definitely have to get some biotin! What is MSM? I was thinking about getting the Shin Men vitamins...have you ever taken those?
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by ty 15th November 2009, 9:06 pm

natural83 wrote:
ty wrote:I started taking Biotin and MSM in July. Since I've started taking the supps and since I've curbed my addiction to trimming my hair I have seen some good growth. Here is a progress pic which shows some of the growth I've gotten so far:

@ty Girl, you hair is too pretty and long! I am trying to acheive more length so I may definitely have to get some biotin! What is MSM? I was thinking about getting the Shin Men vitamins...have you ever taken those?

Thank you Natural83!! MSM is a supplement that has a LOT of medical benefits as well as benefits for hair, nails, and skin. I read somewhere that it works well for hair when taken in conjunction with Biotin which is why I'm currently taking both. Here's an article that talks about the benefits of MSM for hair...Benefits of MSM in the Hair.

No, I've never heard of Shin Men vitamins, but now you know you have me curious. Are they linked to hair growth too?
ty
ty

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 15th November 2009, 9:13 pm

@ty Yeah Shin Men vitamins are hair vitamins. I had planned to try them out, but you have me curious to go ahead and get some biotin and msm! LOL! How much Biotin do you take? And the MSM, would I be able to find that like at GNC or somewhere?
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by ty 16th November 2009, 10:36 pm

@Natural83 - I take 5000 mcg of Biotin and 1000 mg of the MSM daily. Yeah, you could definitely find the MSM at a GNC or Vitamin Shoppe.
ty
ty

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 17th November 2009, 5:42 pm

ty wrote:@Natural83 - I take 5000 mcg of Biotin and 1000 mg of the MSM daily. Yeah, you could definitely find the MSM at a GNC or Vitamin Shoppe.

@ty Okay girl...I went today and got 5000mcg of Biotin & 1000mg of MSM! You've officially inspired me with your pics! LOL! And plus I did some research on it myself and saw where they are a good combo...read where MSM really helps obtain lengthening of the hair! And that's exactly what Im trying to achieve! So we shall see how it works on me! Im excited!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by ty 18th November 2009, 8:17 pm

@ Natural83 - Yay!! I can’t wait to hear about your results. From your profile pic it looks like you already have a nice length and gorgeous hair. I was reluctant to try it at first cuz I didn’t think it would work for me. I stayed at the same length for what seemed like forever…but I’m finally starting to see some progress since I’ve started taking these. Good luck!!
ty
ty

Back to top Go down

Post by ty 18th November 2009, 8:22 pm

MsCrystal wrote:I would like to experience hair growth, as well. I've been told that prenatal vitamins are good for growing your hair. I haven't purchased any though. Would Biotin be the best suggestion to take to help grow my hair?

@ MsCrystal - I've heard the same thing about prenatal vitamins. I think they usually have some Biotin in them, but probably a relatively smaller amount. I don't know about Biotin being the best suggestion but it's worth a shot. So far I'm happy with the Biotin and MSM, but I'll know for sure if it's working after my next length check.
ty
ty

Back to top Go down

Post by Intrigue 22nd November 2009, 1:28 am

I recently had some temple thinning. I'm currently taking Andrew Lessman's Healthy Skin, Hair and Nails formula.

It has biotin, MSM and silicon with vitamin A and D boosters as well. I've been taking them a little over a month and my left side has filled in so well that you wouldn't know I had thinning at all. My right side has seen improvement too and will probably fill out in another month. My skin has shown improvement in moisture balance (I have combination - oily skin), but I haven't noticed much of a change in my nails yet.
Intrigue
Intrigue

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 22nd November 2009, 9:39 pm

Ty, your hair is friggin' gorgeous! You have my ideal length, rock it girl. I will soon check out Biotin and MSM as well!
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by asanterochelle 22nd November 2009, 9:58 pm

Update: So I've been diligently taking my "Hair Pills" (as my boyfriend likes to call them lol) and though I didn't think they had been making a difference yet, a friend of mine noticed baby hairs growing in around the braids on my edges! I'm sold: once I finish this bottle I think I'm going to try a supplement with a higher dose of both biotin and MSM. I'm loving all the avatars too, gorgeous all around. @ TerraD, your hair looks like it's a similar texture to mine, how long have you been natural? I can't wait till I can try that style Smile

--asanterochelle
asanterochelle
asanterochelle

http://www.ark87@blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 22nd November 2009, 11:12 pm

@asanterochelle: I have been natural most of my life. I've had two relaxers, and grew out both. My hair has been pressed forever. February was the beginning of my "lay off the flat-irons" journey. LOL
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by Foufie 23rd November 2009, 11:12 am

I take 5000 MCG of Biotin, 2000MG of MSM and a multi. I had
almost an inch the first month and an inch this month. I truly
have noticed a difference. I have to get my braids re-done sooner.

Foufie

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 23rd November 2009, 12:09 pm

I have decided not to touch the supplements and just adjust my diet and hair routine.

My concern is about the longterm effects. I did some digging and there is a lack of research about what happens if you get too much of some of those supplements. Also, I am thinking that once someone decides to stop taking the supplements- what will happen. Will there be side effects or withdrawal symptoms. Just like with prenatal vitamins, once you stop taking them, you will experience shedding. I have read that some doctors even recommend not taking them if you don't need them.
So if that is recommended for prenatal....what would docs say about other meds?

Sometimes I think a little too much about things
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 23rd November 2009, 3:25 pm

I agree Tiashauntee! I went online after reading this and decided against taking MSM and Biotin. I took Biotin a while back and had my nails get so strong that they began to break.
I am taking prenatal vitamins, because I'm vegetarian and wanted to make sure I got enough iron and zinc. I just found a brand of vegetarian vitamins and will just do those instead.
Our bodies can't handle too much when it comes to vitamins. It can either cause toxicity or our we will excrete the rest through our kidneys (which means a waste of money)
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 23rd November 2009, 3:34 pm

TerraD wrote:I agree Tiashauntee! I went online after reading this and decided against taking MSM and Biotin. I took Biotin a while back and had my nails get so strong that they began to break.
I am taking prenatal vitamins, because I'm vegetarian and wanted to make sure I got enough iron and zinc. I just found a brand of vegetarian vitamins and will just do those instead.
Our bodies can't handle too much when it comes to vitamins. It can either cause toxicity or our we will excrete the rest through our kidneys (which means a waste of money)

And I hate wasting money!!!! Mad
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by beAutiFul.jOuRnee 24th November 2009, 3:57 am

I've actually been taking Trader Joe's prenatal vitamins and I'm not
going to lie, My hair has grown A LOT...i don't know how much on
average because I'm using micro braids to transition but everytime I
take my braids out, I have at least 2-3 inches of new growth. I really
like the vitamins. I must admit, taking a high dosage of vitamins
everyday is very bad for your kidneys but since the Prenatal vitamins
aren't THAT high of a dosage, i'm going to continue using them. Also,
I'm a college student, and my diet isn't so great so the vitamins help my
diet a lot!
beAutiFul.jOuRnee
beAutiFul.jOuRnee

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallydestined 24th November 2009, 4:23 am

tiashauntee wrote:I have decided not to touch the supplements and just adjust my diet and hair routine.

My concern is about the longterm effects. I did some digging and there is a lack of research about what happens if you get too much of some of those supplements. Also, I am thinking that once someone decides to stop taking the supplements- what will happen. Will there be side effects or withdrawal symptoms. Just like with prenatal vitamins, once you stop taking them, you will experience shedding. I have read that some doctors even recommend not taking them if you don't need them.

I was thinking the same. LOL! I think too much also. I've been taking prenatals since my last child, no.5, (now 3) whom I breast fed. I just kept taking them since I keep a busy schedule and prone to skipping a meal or two. I do take the low dose Biotin 1mg (1000 mcg) since it isn't included in my prenatals. I'm afraid to take anything higher in strength for the same thoughts. However, I haven't experience any shedding in between taking prenatals and babies but everyone is different.
naturallydestined
naturallydestined

http://members.fotki.com/NaturallyDestined/about/

Back to top Go down

Hair Supplements? Empty too much of a good thing?

Post by CurlyCaramelCutie 26th November 2009, 2:01 am

tiashauntee wrote:I have decided not to touch the supplements and just adjust my diet and hair routine.

i hear you....but the vitamins we take are compounds that are bodies need and are normally not synthesized in our bodies or synthesized at low dosages. that being said, you CAN take too much/too high of a dosage and cause toxicity. here's a link to an article written by a medical doctor that i thought you guys might find interesting:
Vitamin Intake- How Much is Too Much?
i think it's an excellent idea to do research on vitamins before taking any....depending on your diet, you may be getting a sufficient amount of some vitamins already! that's just my 2 cents....
CurlyCaramelCutie
CurlyCaramelCutie

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 26th November 2009, 3:06 am

Thanks curlygurly! I read the article. I do agree, we need to do the research. I do think that sometimes we do not realize how effective a healthy diet can be at helping some of our mineral/vitamin deficiency issues.

P.S
At the bottom of the article, there was a link! I learned some new ways to treat cramps!
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by ty 27th November 2009, 5:59 pm

TerraD wrote:Ty, your hair is friggin' gorgeous! You have my ideal length, rock it girl. I will soon check out Biotin and MSM as well!

Thanks TerraD. Your hair is gorgeous too!!!
ty
ty

Back to top Go down

Post by ty 27th November 2009, 6:07 pm

With all of the stuff that goes into our processed foods, the toxicity of msm and biotin are the least of my worries. According to this article, MSM is 7 times safer than table salt. I do agree though, that anyone considering trying biotin or msm, or any supplement should do their research first. You should probably also consult with your doctor if you’re taking medication (not a bad idea even if you’re not). Both supplements are water soluble which means that your body excretes what it doesn’t need, so the chances of them building up to levels that would be considered toxic are unlikely. There is no “one size fits all” with supplements. You have to find the dosage that works best for you. Some people need higher dosages than others. Some don’t need dosages that are quite so high, but pretty much everyone can benefit from these supplements whether it is included with your multivitamin or as a stand alone supplement – and not just for hair growth, lol. Also, I personally have never had any adverse reactions when I stopped taking my supplements for months at a time, but everyone is different.
ty
ty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next