CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new natural... & struggling

4 posters

Go down

new natural... & struggling Empty new natural... & struggling

Post by biracial_curls 16th June 2010, 1:11 am

Hi:)
well i did the BC two months ago
and im getting bored with my hair.
it is extremely dry and brittle im honestly getting so frustrated
that i am contemplating getting a relaxer again..
but i just cut off all my hair to accept myself in a natural state
and im finding it to be very hard!
so please any body out there willing to help me let me know
-joslyn(biracial_curls)
biracial_curls
biracial_curls

Back to top Go down

new natural... & struggling Empty Re: new natural... & struggling

Post by Thinice 19th June 2010, 2:53 pm

eeewww extremely dry and brittle...been there. Sounds like you are not moisturizing enough. I typed moisturize in the search box above and found several posts. It is definitely trial and error. I noticed that Herbal Essence Hello Hydration helped. I also mixed water and a little conditioner in a spray bottle and spray that daily on my hair.
Thinice
Thinice

Back to top Go down

Post by curlybarbi48 20th June 2010, 10:21 am

Joslyn,

Don't give up. Did you do some research before you bc'd? That's what helped me a lot. I watched youTube videos for the entire time I was transitioning. Then, I had to find products that worked for me. When I first bc'd, I used Kinky Curly Curling Custard to define my curls. I cowashed almost daily with Herbal Essence Hello Hydration. Now, I use Aussie Moist Conditioner to cowash. I rarely use shampoo any more because it's dries my hair out.

Another thing I used was a glycerin water mixture. I mixed vegetable glycerin oil, a little jojoba oil, a little tea tree oil, and rosemary oil in water and sprayed my hair every morning and every night. Don't forget, water is your best friend! Go on YouTube and search vegetable glycerin oil mix and see what you come up with.

Hang in there! You will have to find what works best for your hair.
curlybarbi48
curlybarbi48

Location : I'm from Columbia, SC, but currently reside in Bartlett, TN

Back to top Go down

Post by biracial_curls 6th July 2010, 10:54 am

thank you soo much for your advice
yes i did do a little research and im like a youtube junkie now,
and this is kind of sad but what is co-washing
i will look into that mixture you suggested (:
biracial_curls
biracial_curls

Back to top Go down

Post by MsAnkh 7th July 2010, 11:30 am

Sweetie its not sad you are new to this, and you will get discouraged several times, but hopefully we all can help. Co-washing is wear you use conditioner instead of shampoo to wash. Shampoo can be very drying to your hair so we try to limit how many times we wash with shampoo. If you are still going to use products with cones and sulfates then you will have to use shampoo sometimes but not all the time to get rid of build-up. But remember a good rule of thumb is anytime you use shampoo then you should deep condition(dc) right after. And I think the previous ladies were correct in saying that you probably just need to moisturize a little bit more. Our biggest problem with kinky, curly, or coily hair is keeping it moisturized. The glycerin mix is awesome espically if you leave in a humid area, because glycerin pulls moisture from the atmosphere into your hair. Also another good way to retain moisture is to do it in three steps. Liquid, oil, cream. Use a liquid base moisturizer, then oil base such as: olive oil(evoo), cocount oil(evco), castor oil, and then a cream based moisturizer. This really helped me with my dry issues. Dont get discouraged its a process and you will have the hang of it in no time at all. And im a youtube fanatic as well. Thats how I learn different styles and hair concoctions. Good luck and ask as many questions as you need to.
MsAnkh
MsAnkh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down