CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you wear your hair while working out?

+27
russell
arjunbarbosa
terrymole
boycemory
stevenson
poeticlyspkng
jasikamarshel
naturalnat
JasLuv
blaque_irish
KurlyQT
tamyllia
FemmeFox
KinkySheaPT
Lynnieluve
BekkaPoo
biologieguru
ChrsLvsBks
PyreFli42
Naturally Nu*
p_nuttie43
veggiegirl314
yokiedokie
dajewel
laughlovelivelife
Krystality
natural83
31 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How do you wear your hair while working out? Empty How do you wear your hair while working out?

Post by natural83 11th November 2009, 1:16 am

Hey ladies!

Im curious to know how you guys wear your hair while you are working out? During the week, I usually just pull mine up in a ponytail and get going. On Saturday mornings when I run with my running group, I do the same...but actually I was thinking about keeping it twisted up while I run. I know I sweat a lot in my head, and just wanted to figure out a way to keep it together without ruining my curls!

So go ahead and dish the "workout do's"!!!!!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

How do you wear your hair while working out? Empty Re: How do you wear your hair while working out?

Post by Krystality 12th November 2009, 2:41 pm

When my hair is straight I pin it up and and off my neck and face... I tie a satin scarft on my edges to hold them down. After my work out I let everything dry and then i take off my scarf and do pin curls at night.

When I have a braid or twist out...I pin them up the same way then I rebraid or twist at night if need be or I will wear an updo the next day and then rebraid that night after another workout but I will do a co-wash.

Now I have Kinky twist so I just co wash after workout and I am good to go. :-) Hope this helps.

If my hair were longer I would do cute buns and Ponytails :-)

Still Transitioning...

Krystality :-)
Krystality
Krystality

Back to top Go down

How do you wear your hair while working out? Empty Re: How do you wear your hair while working out?

Post by laughlovelivelife 13th November 2009, 2:06 am

I teach fitness classes 5X a week so I am very interested to hear what people do with their hair during workouts. I usually wear two french braids because 1) it keeps hair out of my way while instructing, 2) prevents tangling while I'm bouncing around (I teach kickboxing classes!!) and finally 3) it usually gives me a nice look the next day when I unravel the braids. What other secure hairstyles do you all suggest because buns just fall to the wayside for me!

One more question- as natural women, are you more likely to exercise now that you don't have to worry about sweating out ur relaxer? I still feel some kinda way about gettin my hair all sweaty almost everyday!!!
laughlovelivelife
laughlovelivelife

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 13th November 2009, 2:22 am

@laughlovelivelife Girl that's one of the main reasons why I went natural because it was so much more convenient on my hair while working out. Im in the gym about 4 times a week, and I run too, so my hair is always in the "workout midst" LOL! Me wearing it straight just caused me to put more heat on it, trying to flat iron it out from all the sweat and stuff. So being natural and working out is definitely a plus! But at the same time, you still feel like you are sweating out your do, especially if you just did your hair! LOL! But the good things is, the process is soooo much easier than having relaxed hair! I'd much rather co-wash and twist up, rather than washing, drying, flat-ironing, rolling, etc.

I think I may start working out with my hair in twists or something! I may see how that works out, especially when I want to preserve my a hair do for the next day or something.

And yayyy for you teaching kickboxing! That's something that I want to get into! That is some great cardio, and Im all about that!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 13th November 2009, 12:42 pm

in bantu knots or the same style that is in my avator
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by laughlovelivelife 13th November 2009, 1:05 pm

Thanks for the suggestions ladies. I'll try them out next week and report back!!
laughlovelivelife
laughlovelivelife

Back to top Go down

Post by yokiedokie 16th November 2009, 11:41 pm

Good question! I play tennis, do outdoor and indoor cycling and other gym activities. Usually I pull my hair into a high ponytail while exercising. It does get sweaty by the time I'm done and sometime frizzy. To combat this, I will apply moisturizer and retwist (in large twists) at bed time to control frizz and refresh the style for the next day.
yokiedokie
yokiedokie

https://www.facebook.com/ystrachan

Back to top Go down

Post by veggiegirl314 17th November 2009, 12:14 am

I usually wear it in twists or pulled back in a puff.
veggiegirl314
veggiegirl314

http://www.twitter.com/veggiegirl314

Back to top Go down

Post by p_nuttie43 17th November 2009, 2:34 pm

wow... im just fascinated that you all are so active and work out on a daily basis. I think i may be the only person in the world who does no type of workout/exersise in the world. LOL...

you guys are inspirations to me! one day i will start.... one day... but the boob tube calls me....
p_nuttie43
p_nuttie43

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Nu* 18th November 2009, 8:55 pm

This was a good question. I also just pull it up in a poof. I'll be watching this thread..

@p_nuttie43: Baby steps girl..you don't gotta go nowhere..put on one of your fave songs, and dance til it's over! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Naturally Nu*
Naturally Nu*

Back to top Go down

Post by PyreFli42 28th January 2010, 12:19 am

So I'm bumping this thread, I guess. I'm just curious--what time of day do you all work out? I work out in the morning or middle of my day (full time grad student and single mom-get it in where you can fit it in) so I've been really annoyed with figuring out what to do with my hair.

I feel like it was easier when I was relaxed, because I just threw it into a ponytail and was done. But I don't wear ponytails much now (it feels really stressful on my hair/edges because I have to pull it tight or else it's puffy and crazy) and my hair frizzes up after sweating so my twistouts is done after working out.

Any other daytime exercisers? What do you guys do with your hair?
PyreFli42
PyreFli42

http://public.fotki.com/pyrefli42/

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 28th January 2010, 1:11 am

PyreFli42 wrote:So I'm bumping this thread, I guess. I'm just curious--what time of day do you all work out? I work out in the morning or middle of my day (full time grad student and single mom-get it in where you can fit it in) so I've been really annoyed with figuring out what to do with my hair.

I feel like it was easier when I was relaxed, because I just threw it into a ponytail and was done. But I don't wear ponytails much now (it feels really stressful on my hair/edges because I have to pull it tight or else it's puffy and crazy) and my hair frizzes up after sweating so my twistouts is done after working out.

Any other daytime exercisers? What do you guys do with your hair?
I exercise during my lunch hour. I pull my hair up and slap on a scarf. I have forgotten to don my scarf, and my hair was blah!
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PyreFli42 28th January 2010, 1:16 am

ChrsLvsBks wrote:I exercise during my lunch hour. I pull my hair up and slap on a scarf. I have forgotten to don my scarf, and my hair was blah!

So do you exercise with your scarf on, or are you saying that you put it on afterward? and do you then take your hair down afterward, or leave it up?

I'm taking notes!
PyreFli42
PyreFli42

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 28th January 2010, 1:32 am

PyreFli42 wrote:
ChrsLvsBks wrote:I exercise during my lunch hour. I pull my hair up and slap on a scarf. I have forgotten to don my scarf, and my hair was blah!

So do you exercise with your scarf on, or are you saying that you put it on afterward? and do you then take your hair down afterward, or leave it up?

I'm taking notes!
I exercise with my scarf on and take it off after working out. Depending on my hairstyle, I will leave it up or down.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by PyreFli42 28th January 2010, 7:06 pm

ChrsLvsBks wrote:
PyreFli42 wrote:

I'm taking notes!
I exercise with my scarf on and take it off after working out. Depending on my hairstyle, I will leave it up or down.

ahhh... I'm going to try that. Thanks!!!
PyreFli42
PyreFli42

Back to top Go down

Post by biologieguru 11th April 2010, 4:22 pm

I've found that oil can help the hair from reverting when I'm wearing my press n curl (blowout/flatiron). So Im thinking oil might block out some of that moisture from killing your hair style? I'll let you know, I start boot camp tomorrow morning! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

biologieguru

Back to top Go down

Post by BekkaPoo 13th April 2010, 11:27 am

Just a ponytail or a bun.. nothing fancy. I also usually wear a style that can be worn at work and at the gym so I don't overmanipulate my fine breakable strands.
BekkaPoo
BekkaPoo

http://suprnatural.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 13th April 2010, 12:07 pm

Two strand twist
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 13th April 2010, 1:14 pm

biologieguru wrote:I've found that oil can help the hair from reverting when I'm wearing my press n curl (blowout/flatiron). So Im thinking oil might block out some of that moisture from killing your hair style? I'll let you know, I start boot camp tomorrow morning! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Yes, I agree. I put some castor oil on my rollerset hair and wrapped it. The next morning my hair was more straight at the roots (I had worked out the previous day). What oil(s) do you use?
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by biologieguru 13th April 2010, 1:58 pm

[/quote]Yes, I agree. I put some castor oil on my rollerset hair and wrapped it. The next morning my hair was more straight at the roots (I had worked out the previous day). What oil(s) do you use?[/quote]

I use grapeseed oil (I buy from Whole Foods) or Neutrogena body oil (light sesame formula)...
I use both on my skin. They got me through the DRYYY winter.

biologieguru

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkySheaPT 13th April 2010, 3:05 pm

I've started wearing my hair in two side buns, or as CurlyNikki would put it the Modified Princess Leia style, that was posted on CN.com last week. I love this style. It is a very quick and easy style that lasts all week through strength training, cardio, teaching Zumba, appointments, and anything else the week throws at me. I love styles that are cute and allow me to be a bit lazy lol.
KinkySheaPT
KinkySheaPT

Back to top Go down

Post by FemmeFox 29th April 2010, 2:31 pm

I usually wear two strand twists but I think that all the salt from all the extra sweating is drying my hair out. I know that I should probably be cowashing more but I don't want to retwist constantly from my hair coming down. Any suggestions?
FemmeFox
FemmeFox

Back to top Go down

Post by tamyllia 29th April 2010, 5:04 pm

I second the two-bun style. I usually sleep with them in with scrunchies if I know I'm doing yoga first thing in the morning. Otherwise I put my hair in one or two buns and work out late afternoons.

tamyllia

Back to top Go down

Post by KurlyQT 6th May 2010, 9:52 pm

I work out in the morning, so my hair is usually in twist. Before I workout I put a black beanie hat on and leave hair twisted. The beanie has pretty big holes in it so my hair usually dries pretty fast. So when I get home I let my hair air dry and then untwist
KurlyQT
KurlyQT

Back to top Go down

Post by blaque_irish 31st May 2010, 7:58 pm

I am usually rocking a ponytail or pigtails when I step in the gym. It is easier for me to pull my hair off of my face and neck. When I get home I usually twist my hair back up and get ready for the next day.
blaque_irish
blaque_irish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next