CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Working Out With Natural Hair

+5
BrownSkinDiva
natural83
oooop2
ChrsLvsBks
CurlyQ1307
9 posters

Go down

Working Out With Natural Hair Empty Working Out With Natural Hair

Post by CurlyQ1307 17th December 2009, 1:55 pm

I'm new to the forum and loving what I've seen so far.

I get my hair pressed once a month because I wear it in a straight style. I like to workout and my head sweats heavily. I have to do a quick touch up on my press almost everyday with an electric hot comb. I hate applying all this heat to my hair. I'm thinking of easing up on the pressing and wearing more natural styles.

Do any of you workout often and wear your hair twisted or in similar styles? What happens when your hair sweats? Do you have to just twist it over daily? Is there a particular style that works well for those of you who workout often? I used to wear my hair in a two strand twist style a few years ago and it would just turn into a frizzy mess.

Thanks for any input.

CurlyQ1307

Back to top Go down

Working Out With Natural Hair Empty Re: Working Out With Natural Hair

Post by ChrsLvsBks 17th December 2009, 2:17 pm

There may be more posts about this subject in Stylin and Profilin and/or Life.

I workout every day during my lunch hour. In order to preserve my twists, I moisturize with water and a moisturizer or just a moisturizer and seal with oil. If I see frizzies, I apply more moisture. I use a number of moisturizers - Jane Carter's leave in, tea rinse, Jane Carter's cream, Koils by Nature's sweet almond joy butter and Karen's Body Beautiful hair milk, cream and butter.

While working out, if my hair is down, I pull the twists into a high ponytail. I strive to wear a scarf each and every time I workout. I sweat but not in my scalp. If you sweat through your scalp, you can create a spritz with water and lavender and tea tree oils. Both have antiseptic properties.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 17th December 2009, 2:37 pm

I work out about 4 days a week. I normally wear my hair twisted or in twistouts.

I don't put a lot of heavy products on my hair, so my hair never feels weighed down. I also wash/cowash 1-2x/week. If wearing smaller twist, I'll go 10 days to 2 weeks.

The only thing that working out does to my twistouts is make it expand a bit more...LOL

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Yesterdays twistouts

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Twistouts today about 1hr spinning class...
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyQ1307 17th December 2009, 6:40 pm

@ChrsLvsBks - thanks for the suggestions. I will go on a hunt for some of these items. I've been collecting a long list of products that I'd like to buy based on posts on this forum.

@oooop2 - your hair still looked great in your after pic!

CurlyQ1307

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 18th December 2009, 3:56 am

@CurlyQ1307 I myself, like the other curlies above work out on a regular and Im a runner! Im in the gym about 3-4 days a week & I run outside with a running group on Saturdays. With that being said, the hair is always under "workout" pressure! LOL! While working out, I usually just pull my hair up into a loose bun, making sure that it is secure enough to stay, and I usually wear a stretch headband around my head to keep the top of my hair down. Each night, I normally just moisturize and retwist, sometimes I even rewet it a little, depending on if I sweat my hair out bad enough! With all this being said, I do cowash about twice a week.

I know that keeping your hair straight while trying to workout on a regular is SO HARD! (one of the reasons why a lot of us "sistas" don't workout...dont wanna sweat out the perm! LOL!) To be honest, that is one of my main reasons I went natural and started to experiment with my curly hair because its just sooo much more convenient! I started out just wearing it straight, but couldn't stand putting heat on my hair every night after the gym in an attempt to maintain the "do" for the next day! I was sooo over that after some months! Once I got into curly mode, never again did I have to worry about constantly flat ironing my hair night after night; the one great thing about being natural! I suggest you start experimenting with your hair in its natural state....at least throughout the week, and only press on the weekends (if necessary)! That way you won't be putting all that heat on your hair!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 18th December 2009, 9:58 am

When I workout I typically loosely pull my hair back, in either a puff using an old stocking or i have my hair braided and pinned up for a twist out.
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by nmoultry 18th December 2009, 10:14 am

I wear my hair in rod sets because I work out 3-5 times per week. My hair holds up quite nicely. I put a silk scarf around my edges and go on with my routine whether it's stength training, aerobics, running or cycling. The most that happens is a few curls loosen up. The only place I seem to sweat is in my head so I'm good with my styling. I rarely straighten my hair but if I do, I skip the gym that week

nmoultry

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 18th December 2009, 11:30 am

If my hair is in an 'out' style I usually use a scarf as a headband to soak up the sweat around my hairline, and put my hair up in a loose ponytail (usually w/ a nylon aka pantyhose band).
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 18th December 2009, 12:15 pm

hey, there!

my workout is another reason why i wear my hear in two strand twists. you can also pin the twists in cute designs to maximize the style. also, moisture is key to help combat the salt. you can do a quick water rinse and then spritz a leave-in and seal.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyQ1307 18th December 2009, 8:27 pm

@Natural83 - your workout regimen sounds a lot like mine (minus the running, I'm more of a walk/jogger...lol) I agree that I need to start experimenting. I'm going to the gym tomorrow am and then I am going to test out my new Carol's Daughters products. I'm thinking either roller setting or twisting my hair then rod setting it....we'll see. Hey, if it doesn't turn out correctly, I can always schedule an appointment to get my hair pressed. I'm hoping it works so that I can save money on my monthly press. Thanks for the advice!

CurlyQ1307

Back to top Go down

Post by Mllebutterfly 19th December 2009, 6:48 pm

If your hair is long enough, pulled back in a bun or poof is the easiest style. I know some of you may disagree with this but, I recently (yesterday) started wearing a half wig and slicking my hair back in the front with Ecco Styler gel it looks fly. I love it because I can pretend I have the Big Ass Afro i've always dreamed of. Most people think it is real especially if you buy kinky, curly, or afro textured hair. Also, my hair underneath can stay wet with conditioner and olive oil. This is so great for me, because in the past I've been known to cut my workout short so I can spend more time doing my hair. This way I spend more time in the gym doing that extra set.

Mllebutterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down