CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TLC - What Not to Wear

+9
SisterBoyd
labon10
NikG20
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)
BrownSkinDiva
truet
Abisco
tiastresses
lena73
13 posters

Go down

TLC - What Not to Wear Empty TLC - What Not to Wear

Post by lena73 26th December 2009, 8:58 pm

I watch the show What Not to Wear on TLC, pretty often - they have a
new hairstylist for this season - Ted Gibson - [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I was so eager what he was going to do with a woman named Lexa who was
a natural girl. Well he highlighted her hair - which was cool - then he
pulled out the hot comb.
Then he started to explain how its the back of the comb that straightens the hair...not the teeth. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

One - as a Black hairstylist why didn't he bring out her natural curls? why did he have to straighten it?
I'm just sayin...the last stylist (white) would pull out some conditioner with the quickness for some curly hair.

Ted Gibson gets the "gas face" for that one <<< LOL aging myself.

http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/whatnottowear/slideshows/before-and-after/season-7-slideshow.html
lena73
lena73

http://public.fotki.com/Sharita73/

Back to top Go down

TLC - What Not to Wear Empty Re: TLC - What Not to Wear

Post by tiastresses 26th December 2009, 9:11 pm

I notice that on most makeover shows they usually straighten natural/curly hair. Part of me thinks that they just want to make the change drastic, but they never try to do a bc on a relaxed girl or even a roller set. Uncool, Ted, uncool.
tiastresses
tiastresses

Back to top Go down

Post by Abisco 27th December 2009, 5:00 pm

That is very true, on ANTM and "Style her famous" all the natural girls either get their hair relaxed or get given weaves. Why can't they just let them rock their natural manes???? Ugh! I agree Tiastresses - uncool!
Abisco
Abisco

Back to top Go down

Post by truet 27th December 2009, 6:37 pm

I know especially on ANTM,and with the model industry it seems like they are all natural. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
truet
truet

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 28th December 2009, 9:21 am

this is a good topic...Ive noticed the same thing. Im thinking maybe its because they want the change to be drastic on some shows too, but primarily because straight hair seems to be synonymous with style and being chic on some of these shows....tsk tsk
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Abisco 28th December 2009, 12:42 pm

I agree that they want there to be a drastic style change but I think its one thing to say "Oh we're gonna give you a new hair cut and colour", its a different thing to say "Oh we're gonna give you a permanent new hair texture (by relaxing)"!!! Its true that there is this view perpetuated that straight hair is synonymous with style so I guess its up to us to educate them that that view is just plain wrong!
Abisco
Abisco

Back to top Go down

Post by FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c) 28th December 2009, 2:21 pm

I don't know if I agree with the ANTM comment...because Yaya & Eva rocked their naturals...and did it well.
I have to say that I do miss Nick....I always wanted him to do my hair b/c he was genious with curls and he did not str8en them...he taught u how bring them to their best [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)

Back to top Go down

Post by tiastresses 28th December 2009, 2:55 pm

Abisco wrote:I agree that they want there to be a drastic style change but I think its one thing to say "Oh we're gonna give you a new hair cut and colour", its a different thing to say "Oh we're gonna give you a permanent new hair texture (by relaxing)"!!! Its true that there is this view perpetuated that straight hair is synonymous with style so I guess its up to us to educate them that that view is just plain wrong!

Well put.
tiastresses
tiastresses

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 29th December 2009, 12:22 am

3c...finally! wrote:I don't know if I agree with the ANTM comment...because Yaya & Eva rocked their naturals...and did it well.
I have to say that I do miss Nick....I always wanted him to do my hair b/c he was genious with curls and he did not str8en them...he taught u how bring them to their best [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I agree. Nick was great with curls...
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lena73 29th December 2009, 12:42 am

Thanks 3c... Nick's name escaped me.
Nick would bring out the curls and that impressed me - how come Ted didn't do this?
lena73
lena73

http://public.fotki.com/Sharita73/

Back to top Go down

Post by labon10 29th December 2009, 4:13 pm

the back of the comb, not the teeth. What? I want to know who told him that. He should be banned for the comment alone.

labon10

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 29th December 2009, 10:45 pm

I love What Not To Wear, but they are very closed minded when it comes to black hair. And Nick wasn't all that nice to naturals. Check out this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-oNsS4RqTc

There were times when I saw Nick work with locs and a few naturals and he was respectful. And I've seen him take out weaves because they were jacked. But this video really made me mad! He lied to the woman!
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

https://www.youtube.com/sisterboyd, www.blackplanet.com/sisterboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corygentri 1st January 2010, 11:03 pm

I love what not to wear but have not watched the new season (I watch the repeats during the day when I am on vacation in the summer) I agree - Nick Arrojo (sp?) was great with all types of hair. I even made the comment to my husband once that he is the only white person I had seen that I would let touch my hair (and I was relaxed then). I have even seen him get a sister to get rid of the weave and he had her rocking her own hair in a TWA. He always did a great job.
Corygentri
Corygentri

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvMeLuvMyFro 1st January 2010, 11:48 pm

lena73 wrote:I watch the show What Not to Wear on TLC, pretty often - they have a
new hairstylist for this season - Ted Gibson - [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I was so eager what he was going to do with a woman named Lexa who was
a natural girl. Well he highlighted her hair - which was cool - then he
pulled out the hot comb.
Then he started to explain how its the back of the comb that straightens the hair...not the teeth. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

One - as a Black hairstylist why didn't he bring out her natural curls? why did he have to straighten it?
I'm just sayin...the last stylist (white) would pull out some conditioner with the quickness for some curly hair.

Ted Gibson gets the "gas face" for that one <<< LOL aging myself.

[url=http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/whatnottowear/slideshows/before-and-after/season-7-slideshow.html
http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/whatnottowear/slideshows/before-and-after/season-7-slideshow.html[/quote[/url]]

Not the "gas face" LOVE IT! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
LuvMeLuvMyFro
LuvMeLuvMyFro

http://www.designsavvysalon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cocoachanel 2nd January 2010, 4:50 pm

This is why I could never be on shows like this, or antm or whatever. Cause I would be like, you can do whatever you want to my hair, but do not put a relaxer in my hair. And if they made an issue of it I would definitely have to leave.

But it actually goes to show how ignorant the people on the show are as well. That they would just sit back and let it happen. Oh hell to the naw. You would definitely hear my mouth.
cocoachanel
cocoachanel

http://perfectiongranted.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Q 11th January 2010, 12:42 am

That's quite interesting. Is it me or in many ad campaigns there's always a natural when a black model/actress is used? So why is it on a makeover you have to be straight? Maybe Paul Mooney was right, "if ur hair is nappy then whitey ain't happy"...

Q

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down