CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seeking a Twin or Big Sister

3 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Seeking a Twin or Big Sister - Page 2 Empty Re: Seeking a Twin or Big Sister

Post by ChrsLvsBks 22nd May 2010, 9:44 pm

Beautiful pictures!

Your hair's new growth is shiny and looks healthy, congrats! It is not easy to do.

What are you doing and using?
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 22nd May 2010, 9:47 pm

Shedashyrne wrote:How was you past experience with Henna? I'm going to try Henna this weekend for the very first time. I've read some horrible stories about how hard it makes your hair and it's impossible to rinse out, blah blah blah so I'm a bit worried.

Would you advise adding oils, or a cream conditioner to the henna mixure before putting it in your hair? Also, when treating your hair with henna, do you sit under the dryer?
I have done quite a few treatments. I always suggest mixing with water alone the first time then with green tea or orange juice the second time. This way you can see how your hair reacts. Also, do a skin patch test and hair strand test. Some are allergic to henna.

Oil can inhibit henna from what I have read. If you do add oils, add them after the dye has released at least 8 hours for most brands.

I have never used heat when using henna. Some do. I actually did a henna treatment today. I put it in last night and rinsed it out this morning.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by ladykay6 22nd May 2010, 10:37 pm

I've been co-washing with HEHH , moisturizing with MoistureMax w/ Olive Oil formula, and sealing with olive oil. Lately I've done alot of braid and twist outs and buns . I used to co-wash daily because I hated old braid outs, but now I co-wash every 3 to 4 days. and shampoo once every two weeks. every other shampoo I DC.

Lately I've been looking for some homemade moisturizers but havin bad luck, any suggestions ?
ladykay6
ladykay6

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 23rd May 2010, 12:10 am

ladykay6 wrote:I've been co-washing with HEHH , moisturizing with MoistureMax w/ Olive Oil formula, and sealing with olive oil. Lately I've done alot of braid and twist outs and buns . I used to co-wash daily because I hated old braid outs, but now I co-wash every 3 to 4 days. and shampoo once every two weeks. every other shampoo I DC.

Lately I've been looking for some homemade moisturizers but havin bad luck, any suggestions ?
I like a mix of shea butter, aloe vera gel and coconut oil. The mix is approximately 1/4 c of shea butter, little less than a 1/4 c of aloe vera gel and 1-2 T of coconut oil. I melt the shea butter in a cup placed in hot water. I then mix in the coconut oil for about five minutes by hand. I add the aloe vera gel a little at a time mixing for about 30 seconds after each add. I plan to make it again but use more gel and less shea.

Another mix is your favorite conditioner with water, aloe vera gel and/or glycerin. You can also add your favorite oil or EO. I would suggest a drop or two of oil per 4 oz.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by ladykay6 23rd May 2010, 9:35 am

Thank you !

what type of shea butter do you use ?
ladykay6
ladykay6

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 24th May 2010, 11:05 pm

I use a raw 100% shea butter from the BSS. I will get mine from Butters-n-Bars next time. The quality is much different, better at moisturizing.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by ladykay6 25th May 2010, 12:05 pm

Ok I will try butters n bars, I've heard alot of good things about their shea butter.

I used the spray as a revitalizer on my braid and curl and it was wonderful, it was still a little wet when I took them out, and it was humid (A nightmare) and the spray maintained frizz.. I was amazed ! Thanks for the suggestion !!
ladykay6
ladykay6

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 25th May 2010, 1:00 pm

ladykay6 wrote:Ok I will try butters n bars, I've heard alot of good things about their shea butter.

I used the spray as a revitalizer on my braid and curl and it was wonderful, it was still a little wet when I took them out, and it was humid (A nightmare) and the spray maintained frizz.. I was amazed ! Thanks for the suggestion !!
YW, what was in your spray?
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by ladykay6 25th May 2010, 6:32 pm

My conditioner [which doubles as my leave in] HEHH , water, coconut oil and olive oil. I can't make your suggested moisturizer until I take another trip to the BSS ... or Whole Foods.

SN- I LEARNED HOW TO DO 3- STRAND TWISTS !!!

It looked so complicated and forced my head to think lol, But I finally got it !! YESSSSS LOL.
ladykay6
ladykay6

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 25th May 2010, 9:57 pm

ladykay6 wrote:My conditioner [which doubles as my leave in] HEHH , water, coconut oil and olive oil. I can't make your suggested moisturizer until I take another trip to the BSS ... or Whole Foods.

SN- I LEARNED HOW TO DO 3- STRAND TWISTS !!!

It looked so complicated and forced my head to think lol, But I finally got it !! YESSSSS LOL.
Your spritz sounds good. I may have to try it. I think oils would help with my mixes.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] re: 3-strand twists, I looked at so many videos, tried a few times, and I have not been able to do it yet. I will continue to try. Hmmm, I do my mom's hair Saturday. I may practice on her.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by ladykay6 25th May 2010, 11:01 pm

I had to SERIOUSLY concentrate.. my hands wanted to revert to the braid pattern, but I stayed focused and pulled through lol !

Oils really help me through this transition... lifesavers !
ladykay6
ladykay6

Back to top Go down

Post by ladykay6 2nd June 2010, 4:18 pm

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong when doing my braid out.. it only lasts for a day and the next it looks TERRIBLE ! :[[
ladykay6
ladykay6

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 2nd June 2010, 5:57 pm

ladykay6 wrote:I have no idea what I'm doing wrong when doing my braid out.. it only lasts for a day and the next it looks TERRIBLE ! :[[
If you want big hair, I suggest doing it on dry or nearly dry hair. You will need a moisturizer and something with light hold.

If you want more defined, IMO longer lasting braid outs, do it on wet to damp hair (75% or less dry). Add lots of moisturizer and product with more hold.

If you do not know what to use, send me information as to what products you currently have. There is no need to purchase more products.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by ladykay6 2nd June 2010, 6:30 pm

I don't really have any holding products other than Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue . I sometimes use JAM Mega Hold ( with the red top ) its consistency is alot looser than the other JAM products. Other than that I don't really have a holding product...
ladykay6
ladykay6

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 2nd June 2010, 11:19 pm

Do you use the meringue when doing your braid outs? Did you like results?
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by ladykay6 3rd June 2010, 10:44 am

It's ok.. It leaves a dry coarse feeling after about a day which I don't really like but day one is really good .
ladykay6
ladykay6

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 3rd June 2010, 11:14 pm

ladykay6 wrote:It's ok.. It leaves a dry coarse feeling after about a day which I don't really like but day one is really good .
Try using a leave-in underneath it or other moisturizer and then seal with oil and apply the meringue. It may sound like a lot but layering could help with moisture issue.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by ladykay6 4th June 2010, 10:06 am

Ok, I'll try that and let you know how it goes, thanks !
ladykay6
ladykay6

Back to top Go down

Seeking a Twin or Big Sister - Page 2 Empty I'm Back !

Post by ladykay6 9th August 2010, 6:16 pm

Hey sorry I've been M.I.A... I've hit a year and 1 months (end of august will be 2 !) in my transition :]]

I had senegalese twists for a little whilee and when i took then out it was torture unraveling each strand of hair lol.. but i couldnt just hop in the shower or it'd resemble dreadlocs when i got out lol. And... I messed up when i had the twists and didnt moisturize everyday so I'm trying to get my hair out of the shock state.. :/

Do you know of any good deep conditioners ?

How have you been lately ? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
ladykay6
ladykay6

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 10th August 2010, 11:36 am

Hello ladykay,

I’ve never had extensions. I did have a weave once. I can only imagine the shedding and condition of your hair after removing them.

I have a few DCs I love. My first love was Organic Root Stimulator’s (ORS) Replenishing Deep Conditioner. I stopped using it because it has a cone or two. The cone is further down the list, and I would reuse again if I had to. This is a good one because it can be found at drugstores. I love Darcy Botanicals Deep Conditioning Mask, and Curl Junkie’s Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix (smells yummy) and Curl Rehab Moisturizing Hair Treatment. All three are thick, rich and super duper moisturizing. DB & CJ can be purchased from CurlMart or from the brands’ sites. I have also used EVOO and EVCO (extra virgin coconut oil). I use a 50/50 mix of the oils. You may add honey and/or glycerin for more moisture.

I’ve been good. Thank you for asking. I celebrated my second wedding anniversary yesterday.

I'm not sure but will you be going back to school soon. I noticed you were 17. If so, study hard and have fun with your friends. My youngest son is 17, and he will attend night school this year.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by ladykay6 11th August 2010, 1:50 am

Smile thank youuu !

And yes, I go back on the 25th. I will definitely be in the books lol Smile
ladykay6
ladykay6

Back to top Go down

Post by ladykay6 20th August 2010, 9:28 am

omgggg i chopped my bang :]] i washed my hair today and when i got out of the shower i looked at my bag and was disgusted.. grabbed a pair of shears... nd snip snippeddd !

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

A part of the cut Smile

Some new growth :]]

Right after my senegalese twistsss .. this one was kinda random .. but i found it in my phone so heyy .. lol

ladykay6
ladykay6

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 20th August 2010, 11:16 am

Your curls are gorgeous! In pictures, one and two, how did you achieve the coils or is that your hair's curl pattern? Beautiful and perfectly shaped!
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by ladykay6 21st August 2010, 1:28 am

I just twisted strands around my finger with a little olive oil on my finger tips . Thanks Smile) I was so excited after that cut Smile
Ive even been contemplating a big chop for new years :]]
ladykay6
ladykay6

Back to top Go down

Post by ladykay6 29th September 2010, 1:25 pm

Sooo.. my big chop may come sooner than expected. 2 weeks ago, my best friend (also my transition partner) cut a significant amount of her relaxed ends. My appointment was about a week later than hers, but went terribly wrong. The experience was extremely disheartening and almost made me want to rethink the whole idea about cutting it.
I scheduled the appointment a week prior to, however when I got there, they said I was nowhere in the system. My appointment was supposed to be at 10, I arrived at 9:50. I literally sat in the waiting area until 12. At that point I was moved to the shampoo bowl where I sat for another 30 minutes before I was even acknowledged by a shampoo girl.
After my 50 minute wash and detangle ( Shocked ) I was sent to a chair in front of my stylist, and was still not acknowledged by her. At this point my blood was boiling and I had wasted most of my afternoon. I got up, went to the front desk, paid half price for a shampoo, and left.
My best friends older sister, whom is natural, blowdried my hair seeing how it was swollen by the time I reached home..

The good part of this story..
My mother trimmed 2 inches of my dead ends and my best friend big chopped last night. My mini chop has enlightened me that length is not always everything, especially when it comes to the health of my hair! Thus being said.. my big chop is vast approaching in the next month.. or 2 Smile .. I doubt I can hold out until New Years.. !!!
ladykay6
ladykay6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next