CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swoodward, working on retaining my growth - still working it out

+27
jlowman1
nattyblog
LadyMika
Nikcoils
priceless
CurlsGalore
Juices-n-Berries
poeticlyspkng
Muz
CurlyChefRobin
DvaAuNaturel
mrsmackey
Curly_Aquarius
KinkyNappyHappy
ChrsLvsBks
SheeTacular
ktoliver5303
krazy coils
TheRYL1
BlondeByDesire
Intelligentbeauty
NubieNatty
mstokes2008
bholmes87
Lynnieluve
sweetdrk1
swoodward
31 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Swoodward, working on retaining my growth - still working it out - Page 10 Empty Re: Swoodward, working on retaining my growth - still working it out

Post by swoodward 28th June 2010, 9:23 am

moving posts around

Last edited by swoodward on 28th June 2010, 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Swoodward, working on retaining my growth - still working it out - Page 10 Empty Re: Swoodward, working on retaining my growth - still working it out

Post by swoodward 28th June 2010, 9:24 am

I took pics of my hair before the trim and really looked at it. Most of my hair cut was just after the bend - not just before or at the bend or "C". Looking at it that way made a huge difference .It seemed that the more it grew, the crazier the ends were. (Maybe because each hair grows at a different rate?) I even got out a magnifying glass. No split ends but my hair went every which way:

Swoodward, working on retaining my growth - still working it out - Page 10 Dscf1316
Swoodward, working on retaining my growth - still working it out - Page 10 Dscf1317

I tried to conceptualize this with a drawing:
Here’s a drawing with the cut occurring in the middle of the bend. :
Swoodward, working on retaining my growth - still working it out - Page 10 Loose_13
When kinky wet hair dries, it contracts. I am thinking that with kinky hair going in every which direction, this means the ends of the hair in each clump that stops in the middle of a curve are probably drying in every direction.
Here’s one with the cut occurring at the beginning of the next C or bend:
Swoodward, working on retaining my growth - still working it out - Page 10 Loose_12
The hair is going in one direction and will tend to go in one direction (hopefully). No stray ends not going the same way as the rest, at least with the curls that are clumped together.
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 28th June 2010, 9:26 am

So this is where it got down to decision time. I also kept hearing about over-enthusiastic barbers and Philly ain't rollin' in advertised natural hair stylists specializing in cutting kinky hair. I am not looking for long hair yet but neat hair when curled - not just stretched. So I decided to do it myself.

I tried the s&d METHOD ON DRY HAIR IN TWISTS. I unraveled each twist and cut where I saw a curl stop. I was not going for even hair - just uniform clumpiness. In a twist this won't be obvious because the hair is controlled by the set but in a W&G I should see more "togetherness", and more definition all the way to the ends of the hair.

Here are more pics:
Swoodward, working on retaining my growth - still working it out - Page 10 Dscf1319

Swoodward, working on retaining my growth - still working it out - Page 10 Dscf1320

Swoodward, working on retaining my growth - still working it out - Page 10 Dscf1321

So far I am almost as pleased as with the henna. I have a lot to learn about cutting my hair but I feel better prepared.

day 1
Swoodward, working on retaining my growth - still working it out - Page 10 Dscf1410

day 4 (rough twists every night with a moisturizing spritz, shea aloe mix on ends and gel spritz .
Swoodward, working on retaining my growth - still working it out - Page 10 Day_4_10

day 5 - just slept in a bonnet, showered without a cap and sprayed with a gel.
Swoodward, working on retaining my growth - still working it out - Page 10 26062010

So, how are you all trimming? What techniques work best? Has it mattered what state your hair was in cut when cut (straight or curly)?
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 28th June 2010, 9:28 am

1st wash after trim. not too bad. needs work. see my smarmy monday am smirk? lipstick ain't bad tho...

Swoodward, working on retaining my growth - still working it out - Page 10 Dscf1411
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 30th June 2010, 11:29 pm

Yesterday I saw two girls with someone I thought was their grandma - both girls had long heavy micros. The girls were 6 and 8 maybe. The two color braids were down their little backs. The braids were way too heavy for the small amount of hair they had. They were grown women's braids on little girls.
The 6 year old still had her hair but the 8 year old had random braids missing in the front. From her hairline to about 3 inches back she had lost hair in patches. I was so upset. I couldn't believe someone would do that to a little girl. Who thinks this is ok anyway. When do we allow so called convenience to take over common sense?
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by SheeTacular 1st July 2010, 12:13 am

Hey!!
SheeTacular
SheeTacular

http://www.ThoughtsInspirationsEtc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 1st July 2010, 12:36 am

Hey Swoodward..

Nice illustrations on hair trimming. What you posted makes a lot of since, so I have to keep that in mind when I do my S&D.

So to tag on to what you posted...my place niece has a lacy weave...she's 5 years old. It's a mess...she looks like Dora the Explore. It really bothers me..I want to tell her mom so bad how that looks. However, I don't because if I do I will have to give her mom a beat down!! SMH!!

I love the look you have after your trim...great job!!!

KNH
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 1st July 2010, 1:46 pm

SheeTacular_Napps wrote:Hey!!

Hey Shee! 'sup with all that long hair!!
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 1st July 2010, 1:47 pm

KinkyNappyHappy wrote:Hey Swoodward..

Nice illustrations on hair trimming. What you posted makes a lot of since, so I have to keep that in mind when I do my S&D.

So to tag on to what you posted...my place niece has a lacy weave...she's 5 years old. It's a mess...she looks like Dora the Explore. It really bothers me..I want to tell her mom so bad how that looks. However, I don't because if I do I will have to give her mom a beat down!! SMH!!

I love the look you have after your trim...great job!!!

KNH

Hi KNH, thanks!!! I thought the post was way too long and boring but I think I may still be on to something. For the 3 ladies, it has to be easier because you have more space between the bends to see.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes. My goals were 1. smoother feeling ends and 2. better definition. So far I have both. I can see where I missed spots too.

As for the other, I almost stopped the grandma, I was so upset. Balding at 8. Who knows if the damage is permanent. I can't believe the legacy we leave our kids sometimes. Maybe you can find a nice way of telling her that. (without a beat down, tempting as that may be.)
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 1st July 2010, 1:48 pm

My avi makes me look smart!!! HHAHAHA!!! lol!
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 1st July 2010, 4:15 pm

Hi lady! Seeing you trimmed your hair and liking the results, go you! Your curls will thank you for it. Great explanation of cutting hair, never thought why to cut curly hair that way, you made it clear. Must purchase or at least borrow from the library the CG book.

Cute avatar Dr. Swoodward, working on retaining my growth - still working it out - Page 10 Icon_smile
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRYL1 1st July 2010, 6:14 pm

Hey Swood!

Like the cut and the avi! ;-)

On the balding child...all I can do is SMH...for them for they know not what they do! I hate to see young girls with fake hair. I think it's the adult forcing her negative hair thoughts onto that little girl, never giving her a chance to see or like herself as is.

Anywho...how you doin?
TheRYL1
TheRYL1

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 6th July 2010, 10:13 pm

ChrsLvsBks wrote:Hi lady! Seeing you trimmed your hair and liking the results, go you! Your curls will thank you for it. Great explanation of cutting hair, never thought why to cut curly hair that way, you made it clear. Must purchase or at least borrow from the library the CG book.

Cute avatar Dr. Swoodward, working on retaining my growth - still working it out - Page 10 Icon_smile

Thanks Chrs!!! and thanks!!
I really liked the book. I will say that while there is a small section on kinky hair, it was actually the book as a whole that I liked. I think she may have been just as well served by not featuring kinky hair as a separate chapter but maybe she probably wanted to be inclusive...(?) The methods and stories are pretty interesting too and are good for all curls. I can see why the CG method is so popular.

I got a huge kick out of the amusement park ride. But that is as close as I ever want to get to it!!! What a Face
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 6th July 2010, 10:16 pm

TheRYL1 wrote:Hey Swood!

Like the cut and the avi! ;-)

On the balding child...all I can do is SMH...for them for they know not what they do! I hate to see young girls with fake hair. I think it's the adult forcing her negative hair thoughts onto that little girl, never giving her a chance to see or like herself as is.

Anywho...how you doin?

pretty good, Ryl1 how you doin?

Yea, this wasn't cute twists or anything - this was full blown micros - the bad kind. hateful.

Thanks!!
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 6th July 2010, 10:27 pm

Post of my July 4th pics!! Me and the hubby went to the art museum area and saw the Roots, Chuck Brown and Chrisette Michele. they were breathtaking. I was sooo happy! And I love Chrisette even more now that I saw her live. She is amazing!! Sorry I don't have a pic but I only had my camera phone and I was waaayy TOO FAR AWAY TO SEE ANYTHING!! We ended up parking ourselves near a giant TV (Laughing )
He spent the day watching others watch my hair~ Too funny!

Well, here are some pics:
Very Happy
Swoodward, working on retaining my growth - still working it out - Page 10 04072010 Swoodward, working on retaining my growth - still working it out - Page 10 04072011 Swoodward, working on retaining my growth - still working it out - Page 10 04072013 Swoodward, working on retaining my growth - still working it out - Page 10 04072014

Check out the crowd - see the Roots were so hot they burned the screen white!!! (Stop laughing so hard!!! I can hear you!) drunken

Last edited by swoodward on 6th July 2010, 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sent too soon)
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRYL1 7th July 2010, 12:28 am

Hey Swood!

Your hair was looking good! :-)

I know that was a good concert...I love Chrisette Michele!
TheRYL1
TheRYL1

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 7th July 2010, 4:31 pm

Hey Swoodward-

Just checking back in over here!!! I love your fro...too cute. I love to people watch...I see people all the time looking at my hair. It's very interesting.....

I wish I could say something about my play niece...but you know some people get real touchy abou their children. I know I do...SMH
However, if she puts another lacy weave on that childs head, and she is running around looking like Dora the Explorer I'm going to say something. I don't care if we fall out!!!

Hope you are having a great day!!
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 7th July 2010, 11:39 pm

TheRYL1 wrote:Hey Swood!

Your hair was looking good! :-)

I know that was a good concert...I love Chrisette Michele!

Thanks Ryl! I loved my big red flower. It made me happy!

As for the rising star - OMGoodness she is amazing! The whole set was fab - the Roots were just as good as I knew they were. Chrisette was so strong. She is an old fashioned kind of singer. She would be a star in 1920, 1930, 1940, etc,etc...
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 7th July 2010, 11:43 pm

KinkyNappyHappy wrote:Hey Swoodward-

Just checking back in over here!!! I love your fro...too cute. I love to people watch...I see people all the time looking at my hair. It's very interesting.....

I wish I could say something about my play niece...but you know some people get real touchy abou their children. I know I do...SMH
However, if she puts another lacy weave on that childs head, and she is running around looking like Dora the Explorer I'm going to say something. I don't care if we fall out!!!

Hope you are having a great day!!

uh, poor kid!

Thanks for the compliment! I was thinking of trying it again but picking it out next time - which I did not do on Sunday.

Yup, watching people watch your hair is interesting!!

My days will be awesome as soon as I hot the lottery! now, if only I could remember to BUY THE TICKET... bounce
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 7th July 2010, 11:49 pm

It was 102 two days in a row in philly. By 7 tonite, the sky was yellow. Horrible.

But my hair looked good! afro

I really am going to post the DevaCurl review tomorrow. I have been so lazy!

Here's a teaser:

Loo Poo shampoo - VERY STRONG, almost too strong.
Moisture One conditioner - The best of the best
Mist-er Right - curl activator, gel, moisturizer and shine in a bottle. What more can I say?
An-gel - only if I mix it with oil. But I can't use gel anyway, I don't know how.
Heaven in Hair - a nice deep moisturizing condish - but not AOHR.

swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRYL1 8th July 2010, 1:25 pm

Hey Swood!

OK..so Mist-er Right is good? They have the Deva products down the street from my job...I wasn't sure about purchasing. Now I gotta check it out! :-)

Yeah, I see the East side has been burning up! Man, we Cali folks have been feeling really fortunate, but we know our heat wave is coming! ;-)
TheRYL1
TheRYL1

Back to top Go down

Post by poeticlyspkng 8th July 2010, 6:44 pm

Hey Swoodward- Can't wait to see your review on the devacare products. I just started using the devacare condish again. I used it with my wng the other day and it came out nicely. I continue to use it and set it free during the summer. I remembered seeing Nikki used it in the summer so I do too. Anywho, I am a huge fan of The Roots. They are THE BOMB live. I love Chrisette but haven't seen her live yet. Sad One day though! Your hair is looking good. I'm glad I came here because I'm considering doing my own trim and that is some excellent information!
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 10th July 2010, 3:59 pm

Hey Ladies!!!

I am getting my reviews up on the Product thread. I am going to do 4 or 5 products. Everything will start with "Dandelion Reviews".

The first 2 are no poo and one condition

swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 10th July 2010, 4:01 pm

Hey Ryl, the humidity is crushing here. Hope your heat wave takes its time!

I love Mister Right. My review is coming soon!!!
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 10th July 2010, 4:03 pm

poeticlyspkng wrote:Hey Swoodward- Can't wait to see your review on the devacare products. I just started using the devacare condish again. I used it with my wng the other day and it came out nicely. I continue to use it and set it free during the summer. I remembered seeing Nikki used it in the summer so I do too. Anywho, I am a huge fan of The Roots. They are THE BOMB live. I love Chrisette but haven't seen her live yet. Sad One day though! Your hair is looking good. I'm glad I came here because I'm considering doing my own trim and that is some excellent information!

Hey lady,
The Roots. OMGoodness. Unbelievable!!!

Thanks for reading! I really hope the post is helpful. So far my ends are perfect and the definition is there. I am a teeny tiny spiral type too. let me know how you make out!!!
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next