CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Figuring out the Twist Out!

+35
Koily_K-Lo
marbar1908
coilylove
envizionj
KreyolKatt
curlyq145
Lynnieluve
countrychickd
ChrsLvsBks
Natural Wheezes
cinnamoncurlz
cutephantasm
CocoEuro
d.denise
Pat
lilindian
rebelrocks
divadr175
sweetdrk1
FAMUdani
Tam
krenea
tiashaunteƩ
AfrikanLatina
NaturalNixon
veggiegirl314
*CurlyNikki*
BlondeByDesire
xtremelyperfect
ActionActress
dajewel
MahoganyCurls
Serenity23
NowIAmNappy
hadiya
39 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Figuring out the Twist Out! - Page 4 Empty Re: Figuring out the Twist Out!

Post by BlondeByDesire 27th November 2009, 6:17 pm

Ok the tried TnC again on Thanksgiving and this is what I did:
co-washed with suave coconut and yes to carrots, let that sit about 10 minutes, detangled and rinsed, left some in. Then i used garnier leave-in condition on whole head while soaking wet. I then sectioned into four and applied Samy's hair creme (CN referral) to each section and then to each twist applied shea butter and ecostyler get and twisted with shea on ends and rolled with magnetic rollers. Sat under dryer for about 40 mins. My hair is soft and moisturized but I have trouble with getting the parts out and since I'm transitiong the bottom half of my hair is so much more thinner than the top part which is natural and I can see the difference in the way it affects the curl on the end [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . The top portion is much thicker and I have around 6 inches of relaxed hair left.

I may try the three stand twist next to give me the illusion of thicker hair on the bottom half.

What do you thick?
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by KreyolKatt 24th February 2010, 12:09 am

I FINALLY managed to do a half decent twist out!!!!!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ( I like the shine and definition) Dare I say I've mastered the twist out?! Not! Let's see if I can recreate this

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
KreyolKatt
KreyolKatt

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 24th February 2010, 1:01 am

KreyolKatt wrote:I FINALLY managed to do a half decent twist out!!!!!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ( I like the shine and definition) Dare I say I've mastered the twist out?! Not! Let's see if I can recreate this

That definition is amazing. What products did you use?
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 24th February 2010, 3:08 am

Lynnieluve, follow KreyolKatt's regime here http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/products-f4/eco-styler-gel-t670-50.htm#53370 [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Since I can't use gels because they cause breakage, I get a similar definition using Butters-n-Bars unrefined shea butter, Nutiva unrefined coconut oil and Black Jamaican castor oil. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here is my twist-out mentor, Rustic Beauty with "telephone cord" twists https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-KzbLBFTZo [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] who turned me onto Sharika's products at http://butters-n-bars.com
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by KreyolKatt 24th February 2010, 9:12 am

Thanks Lynnieluve [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I used Eco Styler gel for the first time on this twist out. So this twist out was a result of me taking care of my hair after a long stretch of laziness. first I DC with Lustrasilk's Shea Butter Choletserol + Mango and added some evoo. For my twist out, I used Giovanni as my leave-in. I went through and made some medium twists. I used a little Eco Styler Gel ( the green one- Olive oil) with each twist. finally I sealed the ends with coconut oil. I was scared that they would be crunchy but they turned out really soft.

Thanks for the link envizionj. Rustic Beauty's twist are lovely Wink
KreyolKatt
KreyolKatt

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 24th February 2010, 10:37 am

envizionj wrote:Lynnieluve, follow KreyolKatt's regime here http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/products-f4/eco-styler-gel-t670-50.htm#53370 [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Since I can't use gels because they cause breakage, I get a similar definition using Butters-n-Bars unrefined shea butter, Nutiva unrefined coconut oil and Black Jamaican castor oil. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here is my twist-out mentor, Rustic Beauty with "telephone cord" twists https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-KzbLBFTZo [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] who turned me onto Sharika's products at http://butters-n-bars.com

Rustic Beauty is my hair idol!! I love her hair. I get great definition with BeeMine Bee Hold Curly Butter and MJ Baby Buttercream. My avatar is 2nd day twist out using the Curly butter.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 24th February 2010, 10:38 am

KreyolKatt wrote:Thanks Lynnieluve [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I used Eco Styler gel for the first time on this twist out. So this twist out was a result of me taking care of my hair after a long stretch of laziness. first I DC with Lustrasilk's Shea Butter Choletserol + Mango and added some evoo. For my twist out, I used Giovanni as my leave-in. I went through and made some medium twists. I used a little Eco Styler Gel ( the green one- Olive oil) with each twist. finally I sealed the ends with coconut oil. I was scared that they would be crunchy but they turned out really soft.

Thanks for the link envizionj. Rustic Beauty's twist are lovely Wink

I'm not a big fan of gel but I may give it a try one day.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by coilylove 5th March 2010, 6:00 pm

Hello,

I'm new to posting on the site...have been a lurker for many months. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I'm not a hair expert at all and am always looking for tips. I don't use gels for my twist outs. I tried a couple of times and I don't think my hair was happy with the gel. I just use conditioner. If there is a down side to this please let me know but my twist out will last for 1-2 weeks. When I apply my leave-in I also use it to twist. This time I left my hair twisted for 2 days and took down today. My avatar is what my hair looked like after I twisted it. When I take down the twists, I use shea butter and jojoba oil.

coilylove
coilylove

Back to top Go down

Post by marbar1908 5th March 2010, 9:39 pm

All i know is that I've been trying to master a TNC like Nikki, but I just cant seem to wrap my hands around it! Neutral I think I'm slow or something. But, it is possible to still do a TNC on a TWA correct? (i'm doing either a mini chop or BC this week * i know ahead of schedule* but whatev...)

Thanks...
marbar1908
marbar1908

http://perilsofmylife.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Koily_K-Lo 5th March 2010, 10:34 pm

I'm hooked on doing my daughters twist outs the way I learned when I took her to Miss Jessie's. I was simply amazed at the simplicity of it all. Ofcourse they used their shampoo and conditioner, but I use Olive Oil on her long thirsty hair and stick with the Butter Creme and Curly Pudding for her twist out styles.

After washing, detangling, sectioning, etc I use the Butter Creme from root to tip for twisting making sure to keep her hair moist with a spritz of water as needed. After her hair is all twisted (and I am good and tired!!) I set two or three twists on perm rods (on the ends only) then set her under a dryer til it's dry.

I take them loose and they are wonderfully hydrated, not dry or crunchy like MJ products can be from time to time. To "reset" them, I use the Curly Pudding and just twist them up really quick just before bed and some times just as a re-hydrater without re-twisting. It usually lasts her a good week before needing to be re-done altogether.

Bare with me as I try to figure out how to upload a pic of her hair.
Koily_K-Lo
Koily_K-Lo

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalTina 10th March 2010, 6:45 pm

this is my first attempt at a twist out...i used my own shea butter mix to twist with

NaturalTina
NaturalTina

Back to top Go down

Post by MsVera 23rd March 2010, 12:32 am

BlondeByDesire wrote:I too am trying to profect the two strand twist. I'm transitioning and thus far I have 99% of time bun my hair. I'm looking for a holding product to use in addition to my leave-in. I have shea butter but have shyed away from that thinking it's too thick and will leave my hair feeling coated and weighed down. I only use it on my ends. Those of you who use shea butter - are you saying you use it on the length of the twist - and your hair still comes out soft? Also my hair takes a really long time to dry at least two full days. So at some point I have to resort of going under the dryer for the twists - I would love for them to dry naturally. Also what can I use for shine?

Yes, I do use Shea Butter on the entire length of my hair. The first time I applied I really over did it, but soon learned not to be so heavy handed! You might need more or less based on what your hair needs and your preference. It does feel waxy/gummy-like rubbing it between your palms, but at least on my hair it has done wonders.
First, on freshly cleansed/dc'd hair (or after co-washing), I allow my hair to air-dry with my leave-in until it's about 70% dry before applying the Shea Butter. Personally on my head, any oil or butter worked into straight out of the shower hair would be a disaster! After sectioning off my hair into 4, I then work in the Shea with my fingers/hands and never touch a comb. I apply a little more to the ends of each twist before finishing off and then before I unravel the fully dried twists, I apply even just a little more! Since I started using the Shea Butter like this, my twist-outs have always come out soft, shiny, never frizzy and movable [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MsVera
MsVera

Back to top Go down

Post by MsVera 24th March 2010, 6:42 pm

Since I did all that talking about what I do for my twist-outs I thought I'd better show pics of one [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
This twist-out here was done yesterday. What I did:
1. Around noon I applied Burt's Bees Avocado Butter Pre-Shampoo Hair Treatment and wore plastic conditioning cap for 2 hours.
2. Rinsed and co-washed with Aussie Moist. That Avocado Butter just melts the hair. I Probably could have done without the Aussie Moist Co-wash, but that Avocado Butter is pretty oily.
3. Spritzed hair with Aussie Moist/water for my leave-in and finger detangled. My ratio of conditioner to water is around 1:4.
5. Put hair up to air-dry to about 50%.
note: Usually I air-dry to about 70% because I normally do it later in the evening and sleep with the twists
in and prefer a looser curl. Also I would normally wait until this point to apply my Shea Butter, but for whatever reason I applied it in step 3 right after the leave-in.
It's just faster/easier to work with if I wait to apply oils and butters when it's only
damp.
6. At 3 pm I Finger parted hair into 4 sections and started twisting at the 1st nape section. Here at the nape I need to put in much smaller ones than the rest of my head because it is so much finer. Otherwise I try to keep them about finger thick once releasing; you know when letting go they expand a bit. I apply a little more Shea Butter to the ends of each twist before twirling around my finger. The added twirl just helps the hair coil around itself and prevents unraveling. I do the front section on same side and then work on the opposite side in same order. I finished around 4:30....probably would have finished by 3:45, but am easily distracted [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
7. Around 10:30 pm I unraveled. At this point is when I would be applying a little more Shea Butter to my ends as I unravel, but opted out since it wasn't the normal sleep on them overnight routine. My fiance took these pics no more than 10 minutes after; I haven't quite figured out how to take my own with the digital and didn't want to resort to the normal blurry webcam pics I take!
BTW, I slept with my satin scarf loosely tied on and looks as good this afternoon as it did last night. Had I slept in those twists, this twist-out would have been much more curlier, but prefer mine as you see it here. Oh just so you know...no, I am not naked! Just was wearing on of those sleep tops with the tube-top type upper and don't mind the circles under my eyes. I was really tired all day....damn I look older than 40! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MsVera
MsVera

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 26th March 2010, 3:25 pm

Great job!!! That twist out is sweet!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by lena73 27th March 2010, 10:55 am

i've sincerely given up on doing a twist out myself. my arms get too tired after the 3rd fat dookey twist [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
my sister said she would do it for me, but alas she hasnt done it yet.

i have faith though, im not going to give up just yet
lena73
lena73

http://public.fotki.com/Sharita73/

Back to top Go down

Post by MsVera 27th March 2010, 5:08 pm

Thank you Sweet!
KreyolKatt's twist is lookin' hot too!! I wish I could have been blessed with black hair color...the shine just rocks!! I've been contemplating trying a Henna/Indigo, but am afraid to thicken up my hair anymore? From my understanding hair thickening is a benefit from henna and thick hair I don't need so I'll be heading to the Henna forum for some research later today [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MsVera
MsVera

Back to top Go down

Post by MsVera 27th March 2010, 5:15 pm

@ lena73,

Hey, I absolutely know that feeling! It would be a much shorter process for me, but aside from distraction my arms get way tired. I normally put a section in and then go back to twisting after a rest. I just keep the spray bottle handy and spray to the desired dampness if I need to. Since I keep the hair I'm not twisting up either in a large bantu knot or bun so the ends are not drying quickly, I don't need to spray much at all.
MsVera
MsVera

Back to top Go down

Post by v3tt3 27th March 2011, 12:52 pm

KreyolKatt wrote:I FINALLY managed to do a half decent twist out!!!!!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ( I like the shine and definition) Dare I say I've mastered the twist out?! Not! Let's see if I can recreate this

In your avatar pic Your hair is so beautiful! Ok so you're tellin me from the date(2/24) of this post/picture above compared to your avatar pic, your hair really grew that long in one months time!? I'm confused here! What, how did it grow that long so quickly!? Whats the secret because my hair seems to grow so slowly! Crying or Very sad
v3tt3
v3tt3

https://facebook.com/vette.hughes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4