CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Figuring out the Twist Out!

+35
Koily_K-Lo
marbar1908
coilylove
envizionj
KreyolKatt
curlyq145
Lynnieluve
countrychickd
ChrsLvsBks
Natural Wheezes
cinnamoncurlz
cutephantasm
CocoEuro
d.denise
Pat
lilindian
rebelrocks
divadr175
sweetdrk1
FAMUdani
Tam
krenea
tiashaunteƩ
AfrikanLatina
NaturalNixon
veggiegirl314
*CurlyNikki*
BlondeByDesire
xtremelyperfect
ActionActress
dajewel
MahoganyCurls
Serenity23
NowIAmNappy
hadiya
39 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Figuring out the Twist Out! - Page 3 Empty Re: Figuring out the Twist Out!

Post by dajewel 1st November 2009, 11:14 pm

i love it!!!! try it on wet hair!! i find that i like my twists better when done on wet/damp hair!! could you tell us what products you used?
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 1st November 2009, 11:33 pm

I used refined Shea butter...I didn't think to use anything else. I will definitely try again on wet hair. Stay tuned and thanks for the love!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by cutephantasm 2nd November 2009, 12:10 am

tiashauntee wrote:For a defined twist out I like to use a mixture with conditioner/honey/olive oil.
You can really tell a difference.
Mixture:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
No Mixture:

i;m in love with your hair!! yur mixture twist out looks AMAZING! mine end up looking more like the 2nd pic (no mixture)
cutephantasm
cutephantasm

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 2nd November 2009, 12:14 am

tiashauntee wrote:For a defined twist out I like to use a mixture with conditioner/honey/olive oil.
Mixture:
No Mixture:

I am going to have to try your mixture....I wasn't so successful with my first attempt at a twistout! But I am a tropper and you can't keep me down! hahahahahahaaaaaa
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 2nd November 2009, 12:57 am

keep at it sweetdrk1!!! i think i am gonna try to honey/shea mix for the november challenge. i am really curious!

also, i have splendid results with aloe gel (from the plant, Aubrey Organics, Trader Joe's) and the shea butter. you should try it!!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by krenea 2nd November 2009, 1:38 am

I 'm interested in aloe from the plant! Can you tell me more, dajewel?

Have you tried aloe in other forms, but didn't like it as much?

Is it sticky?

Does it define curls?

Do you always mix it with something?

I've learned that some naturals create a shealoe mixture. Have you tried that? If so, how is it?

If I buy a plant, how many applications can I get from a med-lrg plant?

How quickly do the leaves regenerate?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer all of my
:?: !

Last edited by krenea on 2nd November 2009, 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wanted to make it easier for dejewel to answer all of my ?'s!)
krenea
krenea

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 2nd November 2009, 2:04 pm

@ krenea

Have you tried aloe in other forms, but didn't like it as much?
I have tried the aloe-based KKKC, but its too slippery/slimy/gooey for the purposes of a two strand twists. i like to use the aloe plant because its actually out in the backyard. i have heard of splendid results when people use the aloe from Trader Joe's and Aubrey Organics. i want to experiment with the last two brands so that i at least have something to use when i travel.

Is it sticky?
hmm, i wouldn't say the aloe directly from the plant is sticky. instead, kinda gooey/slimey when you first take it out of the leaf. its not sticky once its in the hair, though. to me, it acts like water once its in the hair (aloe gel does hydrate the hair), but mixes better than water once you add the shea butter.

Does it define curls?
Yes, the aloe (the gel and the in KCCC) does define the curls very well. The longer you keep your twists in, the better defined your curls. I do keep my twists in six out of the seven days of the week.

Do you always mix it with something?
I always mix it with my 100% unrefined shea butter.

I've learned that some naturals create a shealoe mixture. Have you tried that? If so, how is it?
I do use the same basic ingredients, but I don't make my shealoe mixture because 1) i am lazy, 2) i don't know how long its gonna last since aloe gel can break down easily and 3) i don't know how much of the mixture i will need. so, i just kinda eyeball it. I tend to add the aloe first to make my hair damp/wet and add the shea starting from the roots and then twist to the ends. i add more of either the aloe or shea as needed as i proceed to the ends. i then seal with my coconut oil either down the length of the hair or at the ends. i find this really makes my hair moisturized for a couple of days. i have seen recipes also add castor oil for added sealant power.

If I buy a plant, how many applications can I get from a med-lrg plant?
Well, that depends how often you want to use it in your hair. Judging by your avator, I would think maybe half to 3/4 of a medium leaf would be needed for one application. if you use it twice a week, i would think the plant could last you at least a couple of months. For reference, I use about two med to large leafs each application once or twice a week.

How quickly do the leaves regenerate?
Because of the nature of the plant(its nourishment comes from the watery bulb at the end of each leaf), the leaves can withstand most climates. However, bring the plant indoors once winter arrives. Rather the plant is indoor or outdoor, make sure it receives plenty of sun. Try not to cut the leaves until the plant is matured. It usually matures after about a year, but once it matures it makes plantlets like crazy!! You won't be able to keep up! The leaves tend to regenerate pretty quickly. When replanting, make sure to plant in a wider planter than rather a deeper planter because the roots spread out than rather grow down into the soil.

oh, and some added info:
don't be alarmed when the hair is white-ish after the aloe/shea application. the color while disappear as the mixture dries.
try not to use the hard gel part of the aloe on your hair because the gel will dry and it will look like dirt trapped in your hair. i do, however, try to get as much of the gel from the hard gel part.
the aloe is great from restoring healthy scalp
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by CocoEuro 2nd November 2009, 3:56 pm

@ dajewel

very interesting!! growing up I always had aloe plants in the house for burns and facial treatments!

So does the Aloe give a strong hold?
CocoEuro
CocoEuro

http://naturalcurlykinks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 2nd November 2009, 5:02 pm

cocoeuro, it's not a strong hold, but it's pretty damn decent Smile I used to use aloe all the time over a leave-in. It can leave your curls a bit crunchy if you're heavy handed. But it's inherently moisturizing and seals the cuticles...very good for our hair. I purchased mine from Whole Foods. Many of the best hair gels contain aloe vera gel.
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

http://www.curlynikki.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cinnamoncurlz 2nd November 2009, 5:56 pm

Mixture:
No Mixture:

That is a nice twist out right there....[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]*jotting that down---honey/conditioner/olive oil* I'm going to try that on my next twist out. I have a TWA of about 2.5 inches..and my twists turned out a bit frizzy-fuzzy [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and almost non-existed. Perhaps I did something wrong when I took them out [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cinnamoncurlz
cinnamoncurlz

http://cinnamoncurlz.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 11th November 2009, 7:15 pm

does anybody have any ideas on how to refresh/moisturize/seal day 3-4 hair?
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteĆ© 11th November 2009, 7:21 pm

dajewel wrote:does anybody have any ideas on how to refresh/moisturize/seal day 3-4 hair?

I love using my sweet almond oil for that. Put some in your palm and lightly grab sections of your air.
tiashaunteƩ
tiashaunteƩ

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Natural Wheezes 12th November 2009, 12:55 pm

@tiashauntee- Your twistout is gorgeous! Do you have a pic of your hair still in the twists? I'd love to see it! And I will definitely try my sweet almond oil for refreshing 3-4 day hair

I use FOTE Aloe Vera gel; I used to use the Lily of the Valley, but I didn't get enough hold. I never really though of using the actual plant! My hair's in twists right now (haven't done it in months, it was always small braids) but I used Jamaican Mango & Lime locking gel as I was out of town and didn't have time to get my AV gel. I was worried it would be crunchy, but its not. I wonder how my twistout is going to be? I'm gonna leave them in for a week and then next week rock a twistout.
Natural Wheezes
Natural Wheezes

Back to top Go down

Post by rebelrocks 12th November 2009, 12:58 pm

beautiful results! and i love the headband
rebelrocks
rebelrocks

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteĆ© 12th November 2009, 1:24 pm

Wizarding Wheezer wrote:@tiashauntee- Your twistout is gorgeous! Do you have a pic of your hair still in the twists? I'd love to see it! And I will definitely try my sweet almond oil for refreshing 3-4 day hair

Actually yes I do, they are in my FOTKI album, link in siggy
tiashaunteƩ
tiashaunteƩ

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Natural Wheezes 12th November 2009, 1:32 pm

tiashauntee wrote:
Wizarding Wheezer wrote:@tiashauntee- Your twistout is gorgeous! Do you have a pic of your hair still in the twists? I'd love to see it! And I will definitely try my sweet almond oil for refreshing 3-4 day hair

Actually yes I do, they are in my FOTKI album, link in siggy

See, that just made too much sense for me to look in your siggy... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I'm sure I'll leave a comment, I'm NaturalWheezes in Fotki!
Natural Wheezes
Natural Wheezes

Back to top Go down

Figuring out the Twist Out! - Page 3 Empty Refreshing 3-4 Day Hair

Post by ChrsLvsBks 12th November 2009, 3:01 pm

dajewel wrote:does anybody have any ideas on how to refresh/moisturize/seal day 3-4 hair?

Yes, I typically add a hair cream, watered down conditioner or hair butter for moisture. I have recently been using KBB's hair cream and butter. In the past, I used a watered down mixture of HE HH and water. The mixture is a 50/50 mix. I seal with jojoba oil (KBB or NOW), unrefined virgin coconut oil or Africa's Best Ultimate herbal oil.

HTH
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by countrychickd 15th November 2009, 11:14 pm

MahoganyCurls wrote:Hi guys!

Does anyone know the trick to TWA two strand twists? I have the hardest time with them! Sad
Then, when I take them down, I look as if I stuck my finger in the electrical socket! Lol!!!

I had that same experience when I first started doing them. Now, I've found the perfect products for my twist outs and it works great. I know you're on a CG method, so my products may not work well for you, but I usually apply Cantu Shea Butter Leave In, and some coconut oil to my hair before twisting. I then detangle each section and apply some Long Aid Activator gel (so moisturizing) to each section before twisting it up. Don't twist all the way down though. At the end, twirl it so that it curls up. In the morning, you can loosen it, and it'll be cute. Even if it's still damp when you take it out, it'll still be cute. HTH!
countrychickd
countrychickd

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 15th November 2009, 11:54 pm

@ sweetdrk1 - I think if you do your twist smaller, it will be easier to cover the parts and you wont have to separate the twist as much, which equals less frizz.

I have used my shea mix to do my two strand twist on my TWA but it does not have enough hold for me. My twist out will only last 2 days. I prefer to use ORS Twist & Lock gel for my twist/twist out. Initially, my hair is stiff. I usually wear my twist 3-4 days before I do a twist out so over those days I use my water/veggie glycerin spray and the twist soften up everyday. By time I do my twist out, my hair is very defined, soft, and moisturized.

My best twist out so far...
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by curlyq145 18th November 2009, 11:14 pm

Serenity23 wrote:I don't have a problem twisting my own hair, but I have some friends who have asked for youtube videos on twist outs. Does any one know of any really good two strand twist youtube tutorials?

I love your hair and color....beautiful!
curlyq145
curlyq145

Back to top Go down

Post by curlyq145 18th November 2009, 11:16 pm

For a defined twist out I like to use a mixture with conditioner/honey/olive oil.
Mixture:
Enlarge this imageReduce this image
Click to see fullsize

No Mixture:
Click to see fullsize

OMG tia this is beautiful!
curlyq145
curlyq145

Back to top Go down

Post by xtremelyperfect 24th November 2009, 2:56 am

OK so you guys remember me posting that Harriet was too short to twist. Well my hair's grown longer now and I've taken everyone's advice about smaller twists, using aloe vera gel and what not. So these are the twists I did on my hair yesterday. I want to rock a twist out for Thanksgiving so I will post pictures on Thursday morning of my results. Wish me luck! Smile

xtremelyperfect
xtremelyperfect

http://fuckyeahnadia.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 24th November 2009, 6:28 pm

xtremelyperfect wrote:OK so you guys remember me posting that Harriet was too short to twist. Well my hair's grown longer now and I've taken everyone's advice about smaller twists, using aloe vera gel and what not. So these are the twists I did on my hair yesterday. I want to rock a twist out for Thanksgiving so I will post pictures on Thursday morning of my results. Wish me luck! Smile

Your twists look tight at the root plus you are leaving them in for at least a day. I predict a great twist out. One thing I do that may help you is to hold one end of the twist with one hand and unravel with the other. This way you are only manipulating one portion of the twist. If you want to fluff, go from the underside not the top. HTH

I look forward to seeing your picture.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by xtremelyperfect 27th November 2009, 2:36 am

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! So I wore my twistout to dinner tonight and it was the best I've had since going natural! woot! Here are some pics!

I finally thing I've got it down! Surprised Can't wait to see day 2 and 3 hair!
xtremelyperfect
xtremelyperfect

http://fuckyeahnadia.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by curlyq145 27th November 2009, 10:39 am

Re: Figuring out the Twist Out!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] by xtremelyperfect Today at 12:36 am

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! So I wore my twistout to dinner tonight and it was the best I've had since going natural! woot! Here are some pics!

I finally thing I've got it down! Surprised Can't wait to see day 2 and 3 hair!

Looks great...let us know what you do to preserve the curls!
curlyq145
curlyq145

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next