CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Submit Your Mix and a Picture

+79
gennatay
MicaiahTy
qshukura
Blex
carlaface
CurlsGalore
summerbreeze76
jjleo
nbella
CocoEuro
agore07
LaToya28
Starrchild
envizionj
BrownSkinDiva
YLONDA
metrocntry girl
DvaAuNaturel
poeticlyspkng
AimWard
BohoStreet
Superfly Sister
nulynaturalali
FemmeFox
Tiffy2
FritterFritter
laleepop14
CurlyLadyButler
angelic7
naturalhonney
RoseNaturalBeauty
Mrs. Hudson
Jonezy
TheBeautifulSaffiyahO.
cdawnlujan
Sunflower
JennikaDe'Nae
soulsearch72
Maricopa
asanterochelle
BajanPrincess82
Freestyles
curlyamazon
Mimi
TerraD
wild_honey
.:Eden:.
jlowman1
TaSiaJaY
xtremelyperfect
oooop2
TerriB92
vonda4b
TinyLissa
nalena
mml
islandfilly
beauTifulcurls
Curlytrini87
LuvMeLuvMyFro
RandRlove
NylaCoils
curlykinkynfrizzy
CarlsM
loveself247
ohnatural
natural83
MixedStraightUp
laughlovelivelife
WarriorPrincess
rebelrocks
AfrikanLatina
lexi1
AhhMazeIngTrini
JoyCurl
veggiegirl314
gammainme
leightred
*CurlyNikki*
83 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Submit Your Mix and a Picture Empty Submit Your Mix and a Picture

Post by *CurlyNikki* 24th October 2009, 10:57 am

Especially if you add in amla, or indigo! I want to see your brown and black mixes [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by *CurlyNikki* on 24th October 2009, 2:08 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : test to see if upload works)
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

http://www.curlynikki.com

Back to top Go down

Submit Your Mix and a Picture Empty Henna Mix

Post by leightred 24th October 2009, 1:59 pm

Hello Nikki, (love the new addition to your blog) I use Mehandi Henna, Medium Brunette w/ Indigo and Amla, and got mix results. I thought the Amla was to tone down the reddish hue from the henna. Anyway, I use orange juice in the mixture, let it set overnight ( I probably didn't let it set long enough b/c I didn't see a differ in the color of the top of the henna compare to the middle part in the bowel, but I was ready to go. LOL). The next day I co-wash my hair, let it air dry some, set my hair in 6 sections, then added the Indigo and Amla to the mixture of henna using water this time. Applied the Henna mix, then saran wrap my hair and waited for 7hrs. (too long?) After 7hrs, I rinse, rinse, rinse, then did my hair. The color was way too dark. Then I rinse, rinse rinse the next day. I use Terri LaFlesh method w/ all the conditioner. I like the color a little more the next day. However, I still feel it's too dark. My goal was to get an all over medium brown color and get rid of the highlights, that I put in my hair in July.
Come Mon. my head itch for a whole wk, and I didn't want to scratch and irritate my scalp more, so I e-mail Mehandi for advice. Could I be allergic? Most people are not though. She was so nice and said, I should have use water b/c the amla was acidic enough, good advice for the next time.
Now for the mix results, I wash and co-wash my hair twice a wk on Mon. & Thurs. It helps keep the frizz at bay. But eveytime I wash/co-wash, I lose alittle more of the dye ea. time (tan-ish color water and my hair is getting redder and redder. It's a burgundy color now and the highlighted areas are a very reddish tint. I not sure if I will use henna again, I'm considering having my hair professional dye. Here are some pics. I can't seem to up-load pics here, I click on Host an image and Image above but it just open a blank box and takes me nowhere. I keep getting the www.serving.com link. Do I need to be a member to up-load pic in that link? I'll just send them to Curlynikki.com w/ subj. Henna Mix-Community from leightred. Sorry.

Last edited by leightred on 24th October 2009, 2:49 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : to add pics.)
leightred
leightred

http://leightred.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Submit Your Mix and a Picture Empty Re: Submit Your Mix and a Picture

Post by *CurlyNikki* 24th October 2009, 2:10 pm

Lightred, it worked for me...I clicked on host image, and a browser came up...I selected the image, and it gave me 3 codes... i used the last code (image url). See if that helps...and yes, you have to be a member of the forum.
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gammainme 25th October 2009, 11:32 am

My mix is uber simple- green tea, olive oil and the henna. Sit overnight then onto my hair for a couple hours. The results below was in for about 5 hours ( too long)- but the results as far as look- RADIANT! But its also b/c i had blond steaks so the henna turned into a firey red- i

gammainme
gammainme

Back to top Go down

Post by veggiegirl314 25th October 2009, 5:58 pm

My mix:

100g Reshma Henna
about 1 cup of green tea
about 5 tablespoons honey

Reshma henna usually releases color quickly, so I apply it right to my hair and leave it in (with a heating cap) for 5 to 6 hours or overnight. The next morning, I rinse, deep condition, and that's it! I LOVE henna!

veggiegirl314
veggiegirl314

http://www.twitter.com/veggiegirl314

Back to top Go down

Post by JoyCurl 26th October 2009, 9:24 pm

50 grams of Henna for African Hair from Mehandi.com
About 10% lemon juice and 90% water: http://public.fotki.com/Joycurl2/july-2009/imgp0615.html
I usually leave it on overnight and rinse out with a cheap conditioner and baking soda. I follow up with a deep conditioner and a heating cap.

Last edited by JoyCurl on 26th October 2009, 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added info.)
JoyCurl
JoyCurl

http://public.fotki.com/joycurl/

Back to top Go down

Post by AhhMazeIngTrini 26th October 2009, 11:40 pm

170grams Mehendi (Brand: Nupur)
2 long rosemary leaf branches brewed in water (2 cups of that)

This is my 2nd time using henna. First time was awful! I used the one they sell at Whole Foods...stay away from it. Too grainy. This one was bought in an Indian Village and I loooove it!! Left it in overnight, DT with vitamin E and HH Totally Twisted the next day. Treated with castor oil then styled with shea for my twist out. My hair is a reddish hue and I love it!

Pic is after washing out the henna and before the DT.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
AhhMazeIngTrini
AhhMazeIngTrini

Back to top Go down

Post by lexi1 27th October 2009, 12:21 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I love this thread!!!!

lexi1

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 28th October 2009, 10:47 am

I'm going to henna either today or tomorrow. Will be back with pics [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

@veggiegirl: your hair and that color are gorgeous! I love it.

Last edited by AfrikanLatina on 28th October 2009, 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added compliment to veggiegirl)
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by rebelrocks 30th October 2009, 2:49 pm

A few weeks after a treatment...day 3 of a twist out

I use Lush's Caca Noir Henna and I love it. It's a bit expensive but one bar is good for at least 2 treatments. It's very easy to mix and you do not have to leave it overnight. I groud up the bars in a food processor and follow the other directions...

i'm about to hop on the mehandi.com train...it's a bit less expensive and i'm always on a budget Smile
rebelrocks
rebelrocks

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 30th October 2009, 7:40 pm

I gave Taj to daddy, grabbed my henna out the fridge(I let it thaw out in there), ran upstairs and HENNA'D!

I use [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and love it. Its sifted wonderfully so I don't have to deal with any particles or clumps of anything trying to stick around. I believe this batch contained just enough green tea that I brewed to make a paste like consistency and a dab of honey. It was still warm when I first whipped it up hence why I used honey.

This is probably a month old but I froze it and then let it thaw out in the fridge before I used what was left. This wasn't enough to do my entire head so I mixed up just a bit more and used it to finish the rest.

I didn't take any pictures with henna in head. I was just trying to get everything cleaned up .

I washed out the henna after 2 hours or so with Suave Clarifying Conditioner and followed up with a DC using Olive Oil Hair Mayonaise Deep Conditioning Treatment by Lustrasilk.
My hair has nearly no curl pattern at the top [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I rinsed that out and did big flat twists. The ones in the back look crazy big but I was getting lazy and have never been really good at twisting the back of me hair anyway lol.
I'll probably be wearing these until tomorrow. Going to try to style it to hide my edges. Wish me luck on that.

And finally just an update on my shedding edges. They are getting better(I think) and after I henna'd I had substantially less shedding! YAY!!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.](Ignore my eyebrows that are badly in need of a shape )

Peace and blessings chicas!
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

Back to top Go down

Post by veggiegirl314 31st October 2009, 12:02 am

Thanks @AfrikanLatina!
veggiegirl314
veggiegirl314

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 31st October 2009, 12:55 am

veggiegirl314 wrote:My mix:

100g Reshma Henna
about 1 cup of green tea
about 5 tablespoons honey

Reshma henna usually releases color quickly, so I apply it right to my hair and leave it in (with a heating cap) for 5 to 6 hours or overnight. The next morning, I rinse, deep condition, and that's it! I LOVE henna!

bounce OMG, girl, your hair is AMAZING. The color, the definition, the shine...I'm in awe. What products are you using right now?
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 31st October 2009, 12:59 am

@rebelrocks, your hair is truly beautiful
@AfrikanLatina, how does your flat twist compare to two-strand twists? I've been interested in trying a flat twist-out, but don't know if its worth the hassle of trying to learn how to do it.
@Ahhmazeingtrini, I love your color! Your skin looks incredible, whats your regimen?
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorPrincess 31st October 2009, 3:40 am

Can someone tell me what is so great about henna? It's a natural coloring right? Does it do anything else to the hair's appearance from a health stand point? Is henna used only to color the hair? Educate me? Is
WarriorPrincess
WarriorPrincess

Back to top Go down

Post by laughlovelivelife 31st October 2009, 10:13 am

When I went to the store, they were almost all out of Jamila henna!! So I had to compromise and try some new stuff- 2 packets of Afshan Red Henna, 1 packet of some henna from Sudan the guy recommended, and 1 packet of Alma. I followed the Curly Nikki recipe--mixed it with 4 cups of green tea, let it sit overnight, added 4 tbsp of honey, applied and let that sit overnight, rinsed with HE long term relationship. I didn't have time to DT but my results were great! No dryness, great color, I love it ! This was only my second treatment but I will def be trying this mix again!!

laughlovelivelife
laughlovelivelife

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 31st October 2009, 11:02 am

Nikki flat twists just allow me to get the twist all the way from root to tip which I have trouble doing with regular twists. I don't like having to clip my hair at the root and all that so I think flat twists just work better for me. As far as the end result the flat twists require that I twirl my finger around the ends with a little castor oil so they are just straight(mostly around the top) where the curl is almost non-existent.

Question chicas: If you are like me and buy your Henna at your local Indian Grocer do you also get your amla there as well? If not where do you get amla?
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

Back to top Go down

Post by veggiegirl314 1st November 2009, 1:33 am

@CurlyNikki: Thanks! That really means a lot. The products I use? I copied and pasted this from an email I recently sent. Sorry it's so long!

.hmmessage P {
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
BODY.hmmessage {
FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana
}
My Current Stock:

Trader Joe's: Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner, 100% Aloe Vera
Gel

Whole Foods: Avocado Oil

Oyin Handmade: Juices and Berries

Karen's Body Beautiful: Hair
Milk

Sally's Beauty: Queen Helene Cholesterol
Hair Conditioning Cream, Hawaiian Silky 14-in-1, Lustrasilk Shea Butter
Cholesterol Plus, Salon Care Conditioner, Cream of Nature Shampoo, Nexxus Aloe
Rid Clarifying Shampoo

Drugstore: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration

I have a ton of stuff from Sally's from my PJ days! Smile

So...now I pretty much have a routine down. During the week, I cowash daily
with the salon care conditioner from Sally's. I heard good things about it on
LHCF, and it's a HUGE jug for less than 10 bucks. It is pretty good stuff, and
lasts me at least a month or two. I'm REALLY heavy handed with products, so it's
perfect for me. I use the Trader Joes TTT condish (or Karen's Hair Milk) as a
leave in, and that's it.

During the weekend, I'll either braid or twist my hair using the Lustrasilk
Shea Butter cream for moisture. It kinda sucks (I'd like something thicker), but
it does the job, and it was only 3 bucks at Sally's. Hopefully the Qhemet Alma
Cream can replace this.

I wear my wig over my twists/braids during the weekend, and I use the
Juices and Berries to keep my twists moisturized.

I try to wash once every week (or every other week) with the Cream of
Nature shampoo. I clarify once a month with the Nexxus Aloe Rid. I don't know if
that's necessary, since I don't use many products with cones, but it doesn't
seem to hurt, so I do it anyway. Once I use up my Cream of nature, I want to
experiement with Castile Soap. I saw some at Trader Joes, and I heard it works
good as a shampoo if you dilute it.

When I first went natural, I went crazy with deep conditioning. I did it 2
or 3 times a week. Now I just do it once a week, using the Queen Helene
Cholesterol (I bought a 5lb tub from Sally's for less than 10 dollars!) mixed
with Avocado Oil, Aloe Vera Gel, and sometimes a little bit of honey.

Oh, and I also detangle once a week with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration.

The Hawaiian silky? I used it more back when I was transitioning. I still
have a tiny bit left, so sometimes I use it to moisturize my twists. Once it's
gone, I'm not going to buy it again. I feel like it worked better on my relaxed
hair.
veggiegirl314
veggiegirl314

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 1st November 2009, 11:48 am

AfrikanLatina wrote:Nikki flat twists just allow me to get the twist all the way from root to tip which I have trouble doing with regular twists. I don't like having to clip my hair at the root and all that so I think flat twists just work better for me. As far as the end result the flat twists require that I twirl my finger around the ends with a little castor oil so they are just straight(mostly around the top) where the curl is almost non-existent.

Question chicas: If you are like me and buy your Henna at your local Indian Grocer do you also get your amla there as well? If not where do you get amla?

I was thinking you'd say that. Do you think I could flat twist just the first little bit, and then twist the rest of the way? Is it even possible? I don't know how to cornrow or flat twist.

Thanks!
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 1st November 2009, 11:50 am

veggiegirl, you have a great routine! Tell me more of this TJ conditioner. I've heart lots of good things...does it have protein? Is it slippery? Most important, should I buy it?! Wink
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 1st November 2009, 11:55 am

laughlovelivelife, I love your screen name and avatar! Your color and curls are STUNNING. I can't see the entire pic in the above post...I'd love to see that close up! What has henna done for you?
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by veggiegirl314 1st November 2009, 5:20 pm

*CurlyNikki* wrote:veggiegirl, you have a great routine! Tell me more of this TJ conditioner. I've heart lots of good things...does it have protein? Is it slippery? Most important, should I buy it?! ;)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Here are the ingredients:

water, tea tree, peppermint oil, eucalyptus oil, nettle oil, thyme oil,
birch leaf oil, chamomile oil, clary, coltsfoot leaf, yarrow oil,
mallow, horsetail oil, soybean protein, cetyl alcohol, vitamin e, trace
minerals, citric acid, sodium hydroxymethylgycinate, grape seed

It's VERY slippery! I love using it as a leave in. :)
veggiegirl314
veggiegirl314

Back to top Go down

Post by rebelrocks 2nd November 2009, 2:15 pm

@veggiegirl you are partly responsible for my PJ relapse....and right when i was doing so well! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

your hair is gorgeous, and i'm buying the TJ conditioner asap...yayy! i love those ingredients!
rebelrocks
rebelrocks

Back to top Go down

Post by rebelrocks 2nd November 2009, 2:31 pm

oh and veggiegirl! i use dr.bronners castille soap as shampoo. its my all time favorites and might be a HG Smile
rebelrocks
rebelrocks

Back to top Go down

Post by veggiegirl314 2nd November 2009, 3:24 pm

rebelrocks wrote:oh and veggiegirl! i use dr.bronners castille soap as shampoo. its my all time favorites and might be a HG :)

Thanks for the compliment! Once I run out of regular shampoo, I'm going to switch to castile soap ASAP! Do you dilute it at all?
veggiegirl314
veggiegirl314

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next