CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help needed!

2 posters

Go down

Help needed! Empty Help needed!

Post by cleoegypt 6th March 2010, 4:41 am

Hi,

I have been natural for four years,(mostly because that last relaxer caused most of my hair to break off) however I have been straighting and not taking very good care of my hair for most of those years. I dont know a lot about the different natural styles and was hoping to find someone who could help me figure things out or a least figure out some of the terms I've seen since wandering around this site. I am curious what products would be good for my hair and what co-washing is and if it helps the hair.

Anyhoo..hopefully someone can help get me started

Thanks in advance

CleoEgypt

cleoegypt

Back to top Go down

Help needed! Empty help needed pt 2

Post by cleoegypt 6th March 2010, 4:43 am

I suppose I should mention I am going to college in a mostly white town, there are no hairdressers who know how to do anything with black hair, much less natural. There also appears to be a lack of products for non-white people.

Thanks again

CleoEgypt

cleoegypt

Back to top Go down

Help needed! Empty Re: Help needed!

Post by blondie 6th March 2010, 2:19 pm

What is your current hair care routine?
What products do you use?
What is your hair type? (or post pics if you don't know)
What condition is your hair currently in?
What issues, if any, are you experiencing?
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by cleoegypt 6th March 2010, 6:17 pm

Blondie,

Thanks so much for answering my call for help, here is the information you wanted to know:

1. I do not really have a hair care routine. Mostly I tie my hair up at night and straighten it in the morning. I sweat a lot at night so no matter how I wrap my hair the night before it is usually sweated out by morning.

I wash my hair about once a week using KerraKare shampoo.

2. I use KerraKare shampoo and conditioner as well as Fantasisa IC night time oil treatment (I use this in the morning to make my hair shiny.)

3. My hair type according to the youtube videos I watched is 4a/b.

4. The condition of my hair is pretty decent I think. I can tell I need a trim the ends are ragged. My hair also dries out fast.

5. The only issue is the spilt ends and dryness.

I appreciate any advice you can give me,

Thanks

CleoEygpt

cleoegypt

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 10th March 2010, 9:07 pm

cleoegypt wrote:Blondie,

Thanks so much for answering my call for help, here is the information you wanted to know:

1. I do not really have a hair care routine. Mostly I tie my hair up at night and straighten it in the morning. I sweat a lot at night so no matter how I wrap my hair the night before it is usually sweated out by morning.

That's a problem right there. You straighten your hair..every morning? That's way WAY too much!!

I wash my hair about once a week using KerraKare shampoo.

You need to switch to a non-sulfate shampoo. Sulfates strip the hair of it's natural oils

2. I use KerraKare shampoo and conditioner as well as Fantasisa IC night time oil treatment (I use this in the morning to make my hair shiny.)

You also need to make sure you have a non silicone, non mineral oil/petrolatum conditioner. You would also need to change conditioners and hair oil. As a tip, unprocessed coconut oil is one of the best oils for your hair.

3. My hair type according to the youtube videos I watched is 4a/b.

Your hair, by nature, if prone to dryness and is delicate. It needs moisture and constant heat and moisture blocking ingredients will lead to disaster.

4. The condition of my hair is pretty decent I think. I can tell I need a trim the ends are ragged. My hair also dries out fast.

Once you get the correct products, get and stick to a healty hair care routine, and stop using heat/straigtening, your hair start to improve. You may find that you have heat damage from the daily straightening (spots that are looser, will no longer curl).

5. The only issue is the spilt ends and dryness.

....which are made worse and/or caused by the daily straightening and silicones.

I appreciate any advice you can give me,

The first thing you must do on the road to healthy hair is to stop straightening your hair. The silicones in the products that you are using are no doubt masking damage to your hair, so you may not be aware of what the heat is actuallly doing to your hair. You are also using products that are stripping moisture from your hair and blocking moisture from your hair. Quality products and a strict hair care routine are essential in having hair that thrives. I will be happy to help you if you are ready! Smile

Thanks

CleoEygpt
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by cleoegypt 11th March 2010, 4:25 pm

Thanks for the info. I would like healthy hair for once, so I suppose I am ready.

Do you have any idea where I can get some of the products you mentioned? Is it possible to order this stuff offline?

Oh and I would love tips on what to do with my hair instead of straightening it....its really hard to get it to do anything besides get tangled.

Thanks again!

cleoegypt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down