CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

my face is on a rebellion against me...

+5
BajanPrincess82
ChrsLvsBks
Janique
tiashaunteé
mverde3
9 posters

Go down

my face is on a rebellion against me... Empty my face is on a rebellion against me...

Post by mverde3 5th February 2010, 5:28 pm

I must have tried a million products for my acne and just when it gets better, WHAM-MO, it gets worse.

Can anyone give any simple advice as to how I can at least tame my facial outbreaks? I hate trying products and it works for a few weeks and then all of a sudden it doesn't. No
mverde3
mverde3

Back to top Go down

my face is on a rebellion against me... Empty Re: my face is on a rebellion against me...

Post by tiashaunteé 5th February 2010, 5:43 pm

What products have you tried?

I ONLY use two soap and two moisturizers. Everything else is a fail
So I alternate between Aveeno Oatmeal soap and Dudu Osun African Black soap
and then moisturize at night with 100% raw shea and in the morning Aveeno moisturizing lotion.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

my face is on a rebellion against me... Empty Re: my face is on a rebellion against me...

Post by mverde3 5th February 2010, 5:50 pm

I've tried ProActiv, and other acne products.

Currently, I am using black soap (not sure of the name) and I apply shea butter lotion to my face after I wash with the soap. But I have been super stressed lately and my diet hasn't been well also.
mverde3
mverde3

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 5th February 2010, 5:53 pm

mverde3 wrote:I've tried ProActiv, and other acne products.

Currently, I am using black soap (not sure of the name) and I apply shea butter lotion to my face after I wash with the soap. But I have been super stressed lately and my diet hasn't been well also.

Definitely adjust your diet and I know dealing with stress takes time-try to fine some time during the week to unwind and and relax. I like to turn off all the phones and just lounge around-it works wonders. Then when I feel like coming back to reality I have about 10 missed calls and I don't even care or bother to return the calls-it's amazing how people will help themselves when you are not around to do it all for them.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by mverde3 5th February 2010, 5:58 pm

I will definitely do so. Thanks for the tips !! Smile
mverde3
mverde3

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 6th February 2010, 1:36 am

I was having problems with my oily skin and used plenty of expensive products that didn't really work. Then, I discovered African Black Soap. I use it on my face and body every day. It has considerably decreased the oiliness of my skin and the amount of acne I had. You have to make sure it's the pure organic black soap from Ghana I believe. I get mine from ebay.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by mverde3 6th February 2010, 1:39 am

Thank you Janique. I've read a lot about that soap. Time for me to invest in one.
mverde3
mverde3

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 6th February 2010, 1:50 pm

No prob [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. And I would invest in shea butter to use on your face after cleansing.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 7th February 2010, 12:39 pm

I have severe adult acne. When I breakout, it lasts for a month or longer. I started alternating with neem and lemon powder (purchased from Indian grocers), the oil cleansing method (OCM) and Dr. Bonner's all-in-one soap. I have been doing this since about December. I still breakout but they do not last as long and they are smaller. I spot treat with a tea tree acne product by Kiss My Face.

For the neem and lemon powder mix, I put about a teaspoon of each in my hand then add warm water and mix with finger. I apply it to my skin and let it sit for 10 minutes. I rinse it with warm water then cool water.

For my OCM mix, I use castor oil and jojoba oil with 10 or so drops of tea tree EO. I use about 70% castor oil and 30% jojoba oil. I suggest trying a mix for at least two weeks before changing mix. I use about a tablespoon. I put it in my hands then rub and apply to my face using gentle pressure. I wet a washcloth with hot water then place on my face to cool. I repeat a couple of times then wet cloth with cold water and put it on my face. I do this every other night.

The morning after the OCM I use the Dr. Bonner's all in one soap. I dilute it with water (50:50).

I use the neem mix in the am and pm on days I do not. I have a few pictures in the OCM thread.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mverde3 7th February 2010, 2:43 pm

Thanks Janique, I'll use the one I have now Smile

ChrsLvsBks, thank you so much ! I am looking into the thread right now Smile
mverde3
mverde3

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 7th February 2010, 7:19 pm

I'm 27 and I've suffered from acne since I was 11. I've tried tons and tons of different products and skin regimens but only for the past few years have I been able to really limit the severity of my breakouts. My skin is not completely clear, but I no longer have cystic acne or bumps all over my face. Here's all that I use/do:

-birth control (ortho tricyclen lo)
-cut out/limit sugar, tomatoes, nuts, wheat/processed foods, strawberries, chocolate, and fried/greasy foods
-suppliments: fish oil, zinc, and B6
-lots of water (64+ oz a day)
-In the morning and at night: wash face with Purpose Gentle Cleanser, tone with Sea Breeze, exfoliate with Paula's Choice 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid, apply 5% Benzoyl Peroxide, and moisturize with Cetaphil Daily Moisturizer (oil free w/ spf 15) and pure jojoba oil.
-Spot treat with Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque
-Dead Sea Minerals mask (my mom got id from Isreal) once or twice a month

I don't really use 'natural' stuff, but I use what works for me and this combo works. I break out like once a month, but its FINALLY manageable! It seems like a lot, but really its not that bad. I'm used to it by now.
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by mverde3 7th February 2010, 7:36 pm

I love tomatoes and chocolate ! lol I'll limit myself though. My diet definitely has to change. Thanks for the tips BajanPrincess82! Very Happy
mverde3
mverde3

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 7th February 2010, 7:38 pm

Tomatoes are very acidic and chocolate just has so much sugar. Dark chocolate is bitter, but its better for you. Glad I could help.
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 8th February 2010, 12:52 pm

I've been suffering from acne since I was a teenager but my worst breakout occured early last year. I was very stressed out and I had voluntarily discontinued my birth control. My skin wasn't too pleased about the sudden increased hormone levels. I broke out in areas of my face that I had never experienced. After consulting with local doctors I decided to search for a doctor that was experienced with ethnic skin.

I scheduled an appt with Dr. Kim Nichols in Manhattan and she knew exactly how to treat my acne just by her observation of where I broke out. She did agree that unbalanced hormone levels could be the cause and prescribed me to commit to the following regimen:

1. cleanse daily with a gentle cleanser
2. follow cleanser with Cleanse and Treat medicated pads
3. moisturize with an oil-free, non comdegenic moisturizer

At night, I do step 1 followed by using either a medicated retinoid or glycolic acid. I saw superior results yet I have began to breakout on my forehead again. I have to be more consistent.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Bleu Coryvette 2nd March 2010, 3:37 pm

Janique wrote:No prob [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. And I would invest in shea butter to use on your face after cleansing.

I've been trying a few different products over the years as well from prescription to over the counter. My problem is that I have sensitive, oily skin. Is the soap and shea butter that you're talking about kind of gentle? And about how long did you use it before you started seeing results?
Bleu Coryvette
Bleu Coryvette

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 3rd March 2010, 11:09 am

The first time I used black soap it worked but recently I tried to incoporate that into my regimen and my skin is like, "WTH?" It can be very drying and that's probably why some of the ladies follow it with an application of shea butter. I purchased my last bar from nasaab.com. My derm also suggested to stay away from it.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 3rd March 2010, 11:16 am

I think the reaction that people get from using Black soap depends on the skin type of the individual person. It's not drying for me or my hubby. I follow up with shea butter only at night because I love how soft it makes my face in the morning. If I use black soap in the morning I can follow up with my Aveeno moisturizers and life is good. It may also make a difference that I don't use any product consistently. I like to have two of everything at all times.

mverde3, have you ever looked at the ingredients in the products you have used to determine the similarities? There may be a particular ingredient that your face does not like.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollis 3rd March 2010, 10:56 pm

@tiashauntee I love your profile pic, your hair looks so pretty in it. Do you think the shea butter would cause a problem for someone with oily skin? I've been wanting to use it on my face because I have quite a few dark spots from where I broke out and I wasn't sure if that would help but I my skin is very oily and still breaking out. I also found the african black soap at www.afrikanrepublic.com for $5.95 that is also where I get my shea butter. It is the shea butter that curlynikki uses. Do you guys think this is the natural black soap? Thanks!
Hollis
Hollis

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 4th March 2010, 12:31 pm

This is the soap that I use: http://www.afrikanrepublic.com/pd_duduosun_liquid.cfm
I found it on the website. I can buy mine locally so I haven't ordered it online.

I'm not sure how the shea butter would react with oily skin. I would experiment (at night) for a week to see the affect it has.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollis 4th March 2010, 8:25 pm

Oh you use the liquid one, I will try that. Do you know if that one is 100% natural? Thanks
Hollis
Hollis

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 4th March 2010, 9:21 pm

Hollis wrote:Oh you use the liquid one, I will try that. Do you know if that one is 100% natural? Thanks

I can say and recognize all the ingredients so it's natural enough to me Smile
It is labeled "pure and all natural"
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 5th March 2010, 12:48 am

Water water water water water.

I use Ambi's cream face wash and then Palmer's Cocoa Butter facial moisturizer.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollis 5th March 2010, 12:59 pm

I am ordering some today, just curious have you ever tried the other one?
Hollis
Hollis

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 5th March 2010, 1:14 pm

Never, I try to keep it simple. Only black soap and aveeno, if I stray from that I will have some terrible break outs.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down